Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm currently watching peanut brittle being made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

It would never work. Desperate idiots would be cutting off a limb to become disabled and get the "gently caress anyone I want" card.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67097/nub-city-vernon-floridas-decade-long-insurance-scam

"What is clear is that, at some point in the early ’50s, the idea of trading one’s limb for a few thousand dollars became seductive enough an option to a significant percentage of Vernon’s population. By the mid '60s, at least 50 of Vernon's 700 residents had joined the Nub Club by way of farming accidents, garage mishaps, hunting incidents, and so on. Although a few Vernon residents had the boldness to saw and hack off their limbs, most preferred the brevity of the shotgun blast."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JaucheCharly posted:

I take this thread at face value. Where am I wrong, where am I right?

Invalid answers:

*30% wrong, 70% right*
*9 fingers out of 10 right*

Go!

thread legit

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever you marry, the complaints will just be amplified times 100 after you're married for like a year and have a kid.

The biggest one with me missus is that I grew up in rural New England so I'm used to running around without shoes on and rarely shave. I worked on a freakin fishing boat and worked in Alaska and played ice hockey on frozen lakes growing up. I'm used to having fish guts on my shirt and sweaty socks from sports.

When we first started dating she was like "wow it's kinda different you don't wear slippers around the house and only vacuum once a week", then we got married and it's like "how could you forget your slippers!?!?!?!? Now I have to vacuum for the second time today!!!!"

There are definitely worse things than marrying someone who comes from a culture that is obsessed with cleanliness...especially after living in the glorious Middle Kingdom for like 7 years lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's a lot of stuff in this thread that I can kind of wrap my head around, mull it over and realize that Americans or members of other countries do it too, even if it's a different manifestation of it or more/less extreme by degrees. Not to craft false equivalencies but you get what I mean. It's also fun reading white Americans going to China and getting a tiny taste of the minority experience but not really connecting the dots farther than, "gosh can you imagine if we did this??" :rolleyes:
But I will seriously never understand the constant Chinese seasons stuff that comes up itt. It's mind boggling to me. Is "it's hot, I feel hot"/"it's cold, I feel cold" not some basic human poo poo??? Are there any countries where something remotely similar happens? There are a lot of cultural conventions around the world that "go against nature" or are idiotic, but the constant descriptions of Chinese people layering up and dripping sweat because "it's winter" will never not loving baffle me. if you're hot, it's hot!!
Don't people around the world dress according to how the loving temperature feels??? It's hot, I shouldn't layer up! Oh hey it's cold, I should wear a jacket!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

As a little girl growing up, my wife was only allowed to have very limited participation in weddings. She couldn't really go anywhere near the bride or the wedding chamber whereas other kids would be invited to roll around on the bed for good luck (especially Rabbits). All of this because she was born in the year of the Tiger.

Taiwan still carries a lot of the cultural baggage of being Chinese. Kids who have night terrors or bad dreams are regularly taken to exorcists. It's just what you do, don't you know?

I live next to one. Their rat-nest house is filled with crystals and they drive a Mercedes. They also hang their old granny underwear out in the street. The guy looks like 2017 Iggy Pop.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There's a lot of stuff in this thread that I can kind of wrap my head around, mull it over and realize that Americans or members of other countries do it too, even if it's a different manifestation of it or more/less extreme by degrees. Not to craft false equivalencies but you get what I mean. It's also fun reading white Americans going to China and getting a tiny taste of the minority experience but not really connecting the dots farther than, "gosh can you imagine if we did this??" :rolleyes:
But I will seriously never understand the constant Chinese seasons stuff that comes up itt. It's mind boggling to me. Is "it's hot, I feel hot"/"it's cold, I feel cold" not some basic human poo poo??? Are there any countries where something remotely similar happens? There are a lot of cultural conventions around the world that "go against nature" or are idiotic, but the constant descriptions of Chinese people layering up and dripping sweat because "it's winter" will never not loving baffle me. if you're hot, it's hot!!
Don't people around the world dress according to how the loving temperature feels??? It's hot, I shouldn't layer up! Oh hey it's cold, I should wear a jacket!

Wearing Clothes with Chinese Characteristics

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 28, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I lived in a high rise apartment in a provincial capital for eight months at one point. Every morning without fail, for eight months, someone in the high rise development set off a whole box of firecrackers. It sounded like it was raining ball bearings as it echoed back and forth between the towers. Every single morning.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

Lol, married a northern Chinese girl. Always a poor decision
This isn't really conveying the stereotypes well for me though, I don't get it. Like, northern girls are trashier and have attitudes but also cook well and have your back, meanwhile southern girls are completely helpless and useless in most ways?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's also fun reading white Americans going to China and getting a tiny taste of the minority experience but not really connecting the dots farther than, "gosh can you imagine if we did this??"

DAILY RACISM - FIRST DAY OF NEW YEAR EDITION -
January 28, 2017.

I have reported before that I had a back scrubber I brought with me from the USA to here. Somehow it went from hanging on the wall in the bathroom, across the bathroom, and was standing vertically in drain of my squatter. It was hanging on a hook, the same hook I have hung up many things that have never fallen, and there's no way it could fall off unless there was a decent earthquake (and if there was, this building would be collapsed). The entire thing is weird as hell, and for a little bit I thought someone had come into my house did it to me on purpose or was messing with me.

I found a second scrubber here that was similar. I used it once or twice, and hung it up on the hook. I was at home doing whatever, when I went to go pee and opened the door to find my new scrubber in the exact same vertical position inside the squatter. I was surprised and a little creeped out.

I went out and bought a new one and didn't open the package for a while because I felt like this one would probably end up in the toilet too.
Look at this hook!

The hook is epoxied on the wall, so it's not a matter of it falling off.

The scrubbers are those rope-style loofah things. They go limp when you drop them, and they don't roll when dry or wet. Even if it somehow rolled into my toilet, it would have been caught in the bowl portion and not washed down the drain. The drain is big enough that it shouldn't even be standing up, it should be limp and smooshed into the bottom of the pipe.
I tested the new one today to see, dry and wet, the physics involved with it dropping. I have no wind blowing in my bathroom, and closing the door with force doesn't do anything to knock it off the hook on the other wall. When dropped from the height of the hook, it plops and stays where it fell. I tried this five times, dry and wet, and only when dry did it move a little bit after falling, but not across the bathroom floor to the squatter.

The racism involved today is that Chinese ghosts are screwing with me. loving racists. Just let a guy wash his drat back. I'm not going to burn your sorry asses any paper money or iPhones. You can gently caress right off with this poo poo.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This isn't really conveying the stereotypes well for me though, I don't get it. Like, northern girls are trashier and have attitudes but also cook well and have your back, meanwhile southern girls are completely helpless and useless in most ways?

you should always, always pick a northerner over a southerner. zero debate needed

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gwai lo versus Chinese ghosts this is a regular ol ghost fight

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

January 28, 2017.

you should have taken us up on that gopro offer...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Atlas Hugged posted:

As a little girl growing up, my wife was only allowed to have very limited participation in weddings. She couldn't really go anywhere near the bride or the wedding chamber whereas other kids would be invited to roll around on the bed for good luck (especially Rabbits). All of this because she was born in the year of the Tiger.

Taiwan still carries a lot of the cultural baggage of being Chinese. Kids who have night terrors or bad dreams are regularly taken to exorcists. It's just what you do, don't you know?

Where does the year of the tiger enter into it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

There are definitely worse things than marrying someone who comes from a culture that is obsessed with cleanliness...especially after living in the glorious Middle Kingdom for like 7 years lol

Where is she from

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Boiled Water posted:

Where does the year of the tiger enter into it?

It's a luck/fortune thing. Tiger girls are considered undesirable so they don't want them to taint the bride or wedding bed since that might cause you to have a daughter in the year of the tiger too. Meanwhile, children born in the year of the rabbit are obviously good luck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

January 28, 2017.

<back scratcher/toilet brush>

Someone is going into your apartment, and that is their passive-aggressive, "he'll never know I did this" dick move. Also smell your tooth brush and see if it smells like greasy diarrhoea.

Get one of those cheap dash-cams that's motion activated and set it up to look at your apartment door. $5 says you catch the landlord sneaking into your apartment because everyone who has ever had an apartment in China and has not changed the locks 1 day after moving in has had their landlord snooping around in it. A week after I moved in to my apartment I started to get the feeling that someone was going in it while I was gone. I couldn't put my finger on any specific thing, but I got a feeling that it was happening. I downloaded one of those security camera programs off the net and set up my laptop to face the front door. When I got home it had made 3 recordings. One when I left the room, one when the landlord was snooping around my place, and another when I got back. I wanted to make sure that he was not just checking the pipes in the bathroom, so I moved my laptop tot he bedroom and the next day I confirmed that he was actually rifling through my drawers and my giant suitcase in the corner of the room.

First thing I did was remove the deadbolt insert, hop in a cab with my wife (then girlfriend who was living in residence) go to a locksmith shop on the other side of town, get a new one, replace it, and scuff it up a bit to make it look like the original.

Two days later a rep from my school came over and translated for the landlord,

:china: "Blistex teacher, you're door is broken. The landlord wants to fix it."
:) "No, it's fine. . . . see! (opens door with key)"
:china: "But the landlord's key doesn't work!"
:) "Both of my keys work, maybe the landlord mixed up the keys"
:china: "He doesn't think so"
:v: "Wait. . . why was he trying to unlock my door?" <in faux surprised tone>
:china: <landlord thinks for a second, tells school rep> "Testing for safety!"

So I give him one of my keys, and he makes a copy or two and tests it out to make sure it works. 10 Minutes later I sneak out of the building, go to the locksmith, and get two more of those deadbolt inserts with the corresponding keys (they sell them in bulk usually, so each one is like 10 RMB). I get back to the apartment, switch the deadbolt, and never hear about the situation again. From then on the landlord would scowl at me instead of his normal fake grin because he knew I had done something, but didn't want to lose face by bringing it up again. Knowing that the landlord was prevented from coming into my apartment whenever he wanted, it was safe for my wife to move out of her dorm and into the apartment.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

how is that legal tho?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caps on caps on caps posted:

how is that legal tho?

You are foreign. He is Chinese. You are wrong because "we Chinese" must maintain face, so Chinar must win. This is right, if you think it is wrong then maybe you cannot understand because you are not Chinese.

Basically forget it, it's Chinatown

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's also fun reading white Americans going to China and getting a tiny taste of the minority experience but not really connecting the dots farther than, "gosh can you imagine if we did this??" 

What does this mean?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

how is that legal tho?

look who's never been to korea china

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Haier posted:

Speaking of dumb relationship things, I got Chinar'd pretty good today.

Soldier girl is in another city for CNY. I decided now was the perfect time to tell the soldier girl that I like her. She's going to be busy for a couple weeks and it is unknown when we will meet again, so I thought I'd put this tidbit of information into her pipe for her to smoke until we meet again.

Since I actually do like her, I was nervous to say it, but I forced myself to say it. After having countless girls propose marriage or ask me to be in a relationship with them after a first meeting, I was thrown under the bus when it was my turn. She basically responded with: "LOL, we've known each other for two weeks. Are all Americans so quick to like someone? This is so weird! You told me you like me, so maybe you are just lonely? I think foreigners don't understand Chinese women. This won't ruin our friendship, I am neutral about this discussion."

LMAO. Gutted.
I hope it still works out!

Ceciltron posted:

I'm marrying a northern girl and she's anything but spoiled or selfish. Sure, the cultural background has some weird notions and baggage, but holy crap am I grateful when I read these stories and that she is nothing at all like any of them. I must be marrying the only sane girl on the continent.
The foundation of a good and healthy relationship; when the goon in it is the dysfunctional one~

simplefish posted:

You are foreign. He is Chinese. You are wrong because "we Chinese" must maintain face, so Chinar must win. This is right, if you think it is wrong then maybe you cannot understand because you are not Chinese.

Basically forget it, it's Chinatown
Tenants rights is actually one area that afaIk the US is way, way further in than even many parts of Europe, rather less Asia and China specifically.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

how is that legal tho?

do you think china has rule of law for the average zhou?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Even at my good job in Taiwan, my American boss had access to a key to the school provided condo and started letting himself in to pound on the bedroom door of a teacher if she didn't show up when he wanted her to.

Worst he did to me was show up drunk at 3am go into my fridge and break my bottle of habanero sauce.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know your city is Chinese when you see a homeless white guy say "Ni hao ma? Gong hei fat choy," to everyone while he's panhandling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cross post from the For Honor thread in Games.

(For Honor is a game about Knights, Vikings, and Samurai fighting)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has anyone played For Honor, is it any good

Basically sounds like Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
it has countless hordes of nameless fodder creeps that accurately represent chinese warfare

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
but samurai are japanese?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Chomp8645 posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tag *Hurt Feelings

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've been a non-white minority my entire life and I am noticing some of the things that all the "white Americans" in this thread have mentioned, even in Taiwan.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
China.jpg actual picture not in china

Dumpling production line for CNY currently in my kitchen.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

McGavin posted:

You know your city is Chinese when you see a homeless white guy say "Ni hao ma? Gong hei fat choy," to everyone while he's panhandling.

This guy is gonna get nowhere mixing mandarin and cantonese like that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've said before that if there's one positive to Asian racism it's that at least it's broadened my own experiences. It's unpleasant to be on the receiving end. But I'm not going to try and equate being a white guy in Asia to being a minority in the States; they're obviously entirely different. At the very least I feel confident in saying such behavior should not be tolerated at home and I do my best to emphasize with those that are the victims of ignorance in the west.

Having said that, I reject the notion that just because racism and prejudice continue to exist in Europe and the Americas that we should give Asia a pass.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

This guy is gonna get nowhere mixing mandarin and cantonese like that.

He's white and homeless, cut him some slack. :mad:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the guy that is so used to the North American system of everything being open on holidays (and his first CNY in China) that he assumed the supermarkets nearby would also be open, and therefore didn't stock up on provisions and is now out, or nearly out, of important stuff.

The karaoke beggar is back. If I thought he was fired up before, I obviously had no idea he could increase the firing upness, and he's outside doing his best Chinese Axel Rose impression on the corner. He did about 5 hours last time with no break, so I guess today will be the same. I need to get out of here for the afternoon. I can't take it.

Blistex posted:

Someone is going into your apartment, and that is their passive-aggressive, "he'll never know I did this" dick move. Also smell your tooth brush and see if it smells like greasy diarrhoea.
哈哈, I've had this happen too (the not-illegal-in-China entry, not the butthole toothbrushes). Luckily I was home when the landlady opened my door. Her excuse was she wanted to make sure I was still living there. These are the kinds of things that sound unbelievable to not-in-China people, but the "outsiders have no expectation of rights or privacy" thing is very real.
My boss used to own apartments in the building I live in now, and the first thing she did when I moved in was go to the locksmith down the street and buy a lock set and have him install it. She made me keep the old lock set so I could put it back in when I moved out. I don't know why.

Phlegmish posted:

Has anyone played For Honor, is it any good

Basically sounds like Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5qklcw/for_honor_requires_an_always_online_connection/

People raging.

White qipao girl on the left has nice hands. Gimme her Weixin, bro.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Here in Taiwan, one of my recent coworkers is Honduran, but apparently people keep mistaking her for Indian. Should she just roll with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

HoboNews posted:

but samurai are japanese?

Exactly the problem

• Locked thread