Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Why in the gently caress is Fred serious about anything? Also why isn't he eating a giant plate of ribs the size of his house?

At the mall there is "Panda Excess" where they sell giant chunks of Panda, and Fred gets takeout. They're offering a head as a free sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I think people would be way more forgiving of it if it was drawn just like the Hanna Barbara version.

I love the art. I can't believe it's the guy I got pissed at for taking over N52 Animal Man from Travel Foreman (I know he had ties to the property WAY before then.)
I don't think it'd be right to ape the original art style if the point is taking it in another direction. It'd read like parody. Future Quest's art is super reverent to the source, but so is the comic.

e: Honestly, I didn't wanna dredge up some big Flintstones debate again. Thought the bond between appliance animals was sweet. That's about it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 13, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love the art. I can't believe it's the guy I got pissed at for taking over N52 Animal Man from Travel Foreman (I know he had ties to the property WAY before then.)
I don't think it'd be right to ape the original art style if the point is taking it in another direction. It'd read like parody. Future Quest's art is super reverent to the source, but so is the comic.

e: Honestly, I didn't wanna dredge up some big Flintstones debate again. Thought the bond between appliance animals was sweet. That's about it.

it already reads like a hateful parody.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bobkatt013 posted:

Then the Superman they got for Supergirl was more Superman in 5 seconds than he was in 10 years.

He is, no poo poo, the best Superman since Christopher Reeves, and it's a close call. And I like Dean Cain in Lois and Clark! Hoechlin nailed it for every second he was on screen, in both personae.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

akulanization posted:

it already reads like a hateful parody.

It's not actually hateful if you actually read the books. There's a lot of dark stuff, but there's always something heart warming to pull it out of the dirt. The issue about consumerism ends with Wilma telling Fred she doesn't need a bunch of useless crap, and he picks up Dino after asking "What's it do?" "Nothing." "I'll take it."

The election issue has Pebbles become class president, the genocide issue has Barney adopt Bam Bam after agonizing about not being able to conceive a child, etc;

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm kinda lukewarm on Flinstones, but I think the actual tragedy is it's resulted in people stopping talking about Future Quest, which is a beautifully bananas superhero book, featuring Mightor, Birdman, Space Ghost and the Impossibles teaming up to fight space Cthulhu.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enter Future Quest bummed every time the credits page tells me Doc Shaner's only drawn four pages :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Test Pattern posted:

He is, no poo poo, the best Superman since Christopher Reeves, and it's a close call. And I like Dean Cain in Lois and Clark! Hoechlin nailed it for every second he was on screen, in both personae.

The moment I knew he was perfect was when he got to the DEO and started shaking all there hands. It was such a little thing and perfect.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Test Pattern posted:

"Something I've always wondered: when the bullets don't work..Why throw the gun?" :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hoechlin was a goddamned revelation as Superman and I love Routh and Cavil's work in the role.

But he's so short! Tiny Clark is hard not to notice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Polaron posted:

"Something I've always wondered: when the bullets don't work..Why throw the gun?" :v:

Close, he was actually wondering "Why the punching?", right after he rolled with the punch, presumably so as not to break the dork's hand.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is that the dude with the massive, shapely manass?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Is that the dude with the massive, shapely manass?

Yes, which I guess they decided would be too distracting because you never saw it on the actual show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Any page of love is love.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Nova 2

Richard Ryder has returned to earth after being dead. He is greeted with the current state of the Marvel Universe, and the fact that no one seems to have learned a loving thing

After hanging out with Sam, he decides they should go clear there head and get a drink. Only to be reminded that even if everyone on earth is a short sighted idiot who's learned nothing

It's a big universe out there, and it remembers what he did for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a really sweet scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo I have to start reading Nova.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Touching and hilarious. Such a good book.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I hate to nitpick a great scene but it's kinda weird they chose that one random panel in the second bit to color in his eyes instead of the panel after the toast, or maybe the one before it

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Onmi posted:

Nova 2

Richard Ryder has returned to earth after being dead. He is greeted with the current state of the Marvel Universe, and the fact that no one seems to have learned a loving thing

After hanging out with Sam, he decides they should go clear there head and get a drink. Only to be reminded that even if everyone on earth is a short sighted idiot who's learned nothing

It's a big universe out there, and it remembers what he did for it.

This is a pretty great way to start the new year in this thread, thank you for posting it.

Happy New Year, you cynical jaded bastards. I love you all. :3:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Annihilation Wave happened like at the same time the first Civil War was happening, right? Poor Nova.

Sweet pages though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

Annihilation Wave happened like at the same time the first Civil War was happening, right? Poor Nova.

Sweet pages though.

Yeah, the "What If"for Annihilation features them failing to stop it and him desperately running back to earth to warn everybody and being all "What the gently caress are you guys doing fighting each other you dumb pricks?" when he discovers what's been happening since he left earth.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Nova #2 (Abnett & Lanning's run)

The whole issue is about Nova trying (and failing) to relax and reconnect with his family after living through hell and watching all his space friends die, then coming home to find out all his earth friends died while filming a reality TV show. Then Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts try to arrest him.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 7, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fuckin Tony

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Avulsion posted:

The whole issue is about Nova trying (and failing) to relax and reconnect with his family after living through hell and watching all his space friends die, then coming home to find out all his earth friends died while filming a reality TV show. Then Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts try to arrest him.

I'm about to pay money to read a series where someone with a real sense of perspective tells Tony Stark that his petty squabbles are small time poo poo and that he should build a bridge and get over it. This will be money well spent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the "What If"for Annihilation features them failing to stop it and him desperately running back to earth to warn everybody and being all "What the gently caress are you guys doing fighting each other you dumb pricks?" when he discovers what's been happening since he left earth.

It also had an amazing ruin the moment

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I honestly am beginning to wonder if people are just posting really bad pages in some ironic fashion or what.

I constantly feel this way whenever someone posts that Mike Megg and Owl comic thing about the witch and the cat and the owl and everyone howls with e-laughter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I constantly feel this way whenever someone posts that Mike Megg and Owl comic thing about the witch and the cat and the owl and everyone howls with e-laughter.

Megg Mogg and Owl isn't funny, but it is good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's some stuff in the newest Team Fortress 2 comic that would be fitting for this thread, would post it myself, but I'm posting from my phone right now

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Short but sweet, from this week's fantastic Unbeatable Squirrel girl issue. I could post the entire speech but this panel is so good it deserves to stand on its own.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Quantum and Woody Must Die #4.

Quantum and Woody can best be described as "What If Booster Gold was John Stewart's Adopted Brother?" Quantum/Eric is a straight-laced former military guy who wants to be a successful superhero and Woody is an egotistical conman who constantly fucks things up and tells him to lighten up. In this miniseries, the two become popular and Woody gets anxious because he's afraid that Quantum's happiness won't last. This becomes true when their psychiatrist helps put together a revenge squad of people wronged by them. While Quantum and Woody survive, their public image takes a massive hit and Quantum says some harsh in-the-moment poo poo to Woody about how nobody's ever truly loved him.

"And it would take a worse beating than that to make me forget it."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teen Titans 4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That comic about a guy committing suicide really touched me in my special place.

It inspired me to post a good comic

No idea of issue sorry.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Where's the good comic? I just see superman playing out a tired "cancer victims are heroes" trope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

True. I, for one, think Superman should go tell cancer patients to gently caress themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

True. I, for one, think Superman should go tell cancer patients to gently caress themselves.

I think that was the premise of Grounded.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I think that was the premise of Grounded.

I thought it was the other way around.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

ImpAtom posted:

it really is kind of a savage diss on all the other kids tho.

"i notice that out of all the dying children in this room, only ... [checks notes] connie has found the time to write me a letter. the gently caress is wrong with the rest of you. have you given up on life already, you pussies"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We get it, you hate Superman and nothing he does will ever be good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Hating mawkish cliches doesn't mean hating the character. Superman is just a character that can very easily fall into mawkish cliches in the hands of a mediocre writer.

By comparison, All-Star Superman actually cured the kids in a pediatric cancer ward with micronized Kryptonians and it was rad as hell.