Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never beat Wild Arms 3 when it was first released, maybe I should get that

google to make sure it got its crashing bug fixed. that's the one ps2 game on ps4 that launched with issues. iirc something like using certain spells would crash the game. they probably fixed it by now but check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They patched it a couple of months ago yeah.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is Gravity Rush 2 structured? I am still working through remastered (which is why I am not just checking out the demo) and while it's fun, it was obviously made for a portable (Not too much to do except collecting gems and missions). And the reviews make me think that there is not much difference between that and the sequel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Gravity Rush 2 structured? I am still working through remastered (which is why I am not just checking out the demo) and while it's fun, it was obviously made for a portable (Not too much to do except collecting gems and missions). And the reviews make me think that there is not much difference between that and the sequel.

The overall structure is pretty similar to the first game, but it has a lot more challenge missions with a lot more variety to them, and it has a ton of sidequests. Additionally, there's a "Treasure Hunt" online component, where you'll randomly receive photos of treasure chests in the world to search for.

Jirga Para Lhao is also more interesting to explore and has a lot more variety in its environments than Hekseville did.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

King of Solomon posted:

The overall structure is pretty similar to the first game, but it has a lot more challenge missions with a lot more variety to them, and it has a ton of sidequests. Additionally, there's a "Treasure Hunt" online component, where you'll randomly receive photos of treasure chests in the world to search for.

Jirga Para Lhao is also more interesting to explore and has a lot more variety in its environments than Hekseville did.

The camera issues more or less have me ready to send it back to gamefly, but as I arrived at Jirga Para Lhao I started enjoying gathering the overworld crystals at least.

When do I get treasure hunt stuff? That sounds like my bag.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Feenix posted:

The camera issues more or less have me ready to send it back to gamefly, but as I arrived at Jirga Para Lhao I started enjoying gathering the overworld crystals at least.

you can get them now. They pop up at random intervals. Or they would, if the servers weren't down all the time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

The camera definitely takes some getting used to, but once you get a hang of it it isn't too bad. It can get kinda iffy in tight corridors, though. Thankfully, that doesn't come up too often.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't even really know what the camera issues are that people keep talking about. Haven't really had any problems with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I don't even really know what the camera issues are that people keep talking about. Haven't really had any problems with it.
For me it's only a problem when I am in gravity mode and trying to run on non-floor surfaces. It sometimes swings around like crazy and also won't freely move in some directions. There's little practical reason to do that anyway though. Sometimes I wish the game didn't even have that feature.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me it's only a problem when I am in gravity mode and trying to run on non-floor surfaces. It sometimes swings around like crazy and also won't freely move in some directions. There's little practical reason to do that anyway though. Sometimes I wish the game didn't even have that feature.

Yeah. Generally if I'm having camera issues it's because I'm using the gravity slide in a place where I probably shouldn't. The vast majority of the time the camera is fine.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
PSRVR goons gots opinions on RE7? Heard the VR was really great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Check the PSVR thread I've seen nothing but good things and that it's v. spooky

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293&perpage=40

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

89 posted:

PSRVR goons gots opinions on RE7? Heard the VR was really great.

Yeah it's the best thing for PSVR by a long shot. Honestly one of the coolest game experiences I've had.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

King of Solomon posted:

The camera definitely takes some getting used to, but once you get a hang of it it isn't too bad. It can get kinda iffy in tight corridors, though. Thankfully, that doesn't come up too often.

Only anytime you land on the ground.

Or fly near a structure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

Only anytime you land on the ground.

Or fly near a structure.

Yeah, nah, not in my experience. It's totally fine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: Any of y'all with Pros, when you put your Pro into Rest Mode, does it give you the blinking orange light and you can't resume it from Rest Mode so you have to hold the power button and then restart it?

I searched the internet for fixes to this and one that I found was to boot into safe mode and change your HDCP mode to 1.4 only because this issue has to do with something going wrong in the HDCP handshaking process. I did that, but it didn't fix my issue.

So another fix I found was to boot into safe mode and rebuild the database, which I did a little while ago, but I'm not sure yet if that fixed it or not.

Is this a sign of a defective unit? From what I found, a lot of people are having this problem, so it's not just an isolated thing. Some people got replacement Pros and the issue was gone for them, others did that and it persisted, so it sounds like it's a total luck of the draw thing :confused:

I don't have a 4K TV, I'm still using the 1080p Vizio I got back in like 2013 if that makes any difference.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mine works just like the original so idk

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, nah, not in my experience. It's totally fine.

I'll take some recordings next time I play. The nature of the game means camera fuckery kinda comes with the territory but more often than not, I'll land and be too near to, say, a wall, or some other structure, and I just end up looking up my own rear end while something attacks me, or what have you.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

mine works just like the original so idk

Yeah, same. Haven't had any issues at all in that regard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's the best thing for PSVR by a long shot. Honestly one of the coolest game experiences I've had.

Yeah, it's very good and very spoopy (at least the place I got to after the opening acts). On paper it's just a haunted house, but in VR your whole body gets involved and you can do poo poo like peering through lattices, or craning your neck to see into open boxes, or leaning around corners to keep an eye on the guy searching for you. More than one scripted sequence has made me reflexively dodge out of the way IRL.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone got tips for a Yakuza newbie starting with 4? I am enjoying it so far but I am new to the series and I'm not sure if the game will start introducing all the goofy side poo poo that I am looking forward to or if I have to just go out and find it. I don't want to blow through the story and miss doing all the karaoke and cat petting or what have you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Anyone got tips for a Yakuza newbie starting with 4? I am enjoying it so far but I am new to the series and I'm not sure if the game will start introducing all the goofy side poo poo that I am looking forward to or if I have to just go out and find it. I don't want to blow through the story and miss doing all the karaoke and cat petting or what have you.

the way it tends to work is you get a mission that requires bouncing around town an you get dragged into side stories constantly as you go

i'm playing 0 right now and after a relatively focused chapter 1, chapter 2 through like 20 side stories at me as i wandered around collecting liquor for bums and trying to overhear street chatter about a real estate co.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Question: Any of y'all with Pros, when you put your Pro into Rest Mode, does it give you the blinking orange light and you can't resume it from Rest Mode so you have to hold the power button and then restart it?

I searched the internet for fixes to this and one that I found was to boot into safe mode and change your HDCP mode to 1.4 only because this issue has to do with something going wrong in the HDCP handshaking process. I did that, but it didn't fix my issue.

So another fix I found was to boot into safe mode and rebuild the database, which I did a little while ago, but I'm not sure yet if that fixed it or not.

Is this a sign of a defective unit? From what I found, a lot of people are having this problem, so it's not just an isolated thing. Some people got replacement Pros and the issue was gone for them, others did that and it persisted, so it sounds like it's a total luck of the draw thing :confused:

I don't have a 4K TV, I'm still using the 1080p Vizio I got back in like 2013 if that makes any difference.

Certain unpatched games are causing this, for me it's every time I play Stardew Valley.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm playing 0 right now and after a relatively focused chapter 1, chapter 2 through like 20 side stories at me as i wandered around collecting liquor for bums and trying to overhear street chatter about a real estate co.

I knew the game was good when I had to coach the fake punk band through their press conference.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I knew the game was good when I had to coach the fake punk band through their press conference.

i mostly did all right with this but one of the guys i didnt do good direction and he started talking about how he loved to hang out with his friends and make pancakes

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I haven't really had that many issues with the camera in GR2, but it can get wonky when you stick to walls or ceilings. Clicking R3 when landing usually solves that though.
The default camera sensitivity is shockingly low, considering it's a game where you need to pivot it around fast during battle, and I put it at max early on. But I usually turn sensitivity up during games, so maybe it's just me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

rabidsquid posted:

i mostly did all right with this but one of the guys i didnt do good direction and he started talking about how he loved to hang out with his friends and make pancakes

Me too, all the others were fairly obvious, but I guess I should have told him to claim to fight all day? Best side story so far I think.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So I think my launch PS4's hard drive may be making GBS threads the bed. I turned on the system and tried to start a game, only to have the system freeze (background music kept playing and ps symbols were changing). After about 30 seconds I can move around the dashboard again. This happens everytime I try to select something (Netflix or any other game). I rebuilt the database and at first absolutely nothing was showing on the dashboard aside from the top row (friends, notifications, trophies, etc.). I reset and now everything seems to working fine, but who knows for how long. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So after picking up The Order 1886 on the flash sale, I have to say the game is a lot better than expected.

Hard to judge how I would have felt had I paid full price, but the game is definitely longer than '3 to 4 hours'. I really liked how they blended the game with the cinematic. The game looks incredible. The game is a little a slow at the start, but once you learn more about the rebellion it gets really fun. He QTEs and stealth sequences were fine. The second stealth sequence is great. I liked the story and the main characters. I hope they make a sequel although it feels unlikely.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

NNick posted:

So after picking up The Order 1886 on the flash sale, I have to say the game is a lot better than expected.

Hard to judge how I would have felt had I paid full price, but the game is definitely longer than '3 to 4 hours'. I really liked how they blended the game with the cinematic. The game looks incredible. The game is a little a slow at the start, but once you learn more about the rebellion it gets really fun. He QTEs and stealth sequences were fine. The second stealth sequence is great. I liked the story and the main characters. I hope they make a sequel although it feels unlikely.

Haven't played that game but the "gaming" press/community have weird hangups with regards to how long it takes to beat a game. Metal Gear Rising got roasted when it came out since some streamer beat in "5-6 hours". The fact that the game doesn't count cutscenes when calculating time played, or that the guy didn't explore for extra fights/collectibles, or lsiten to codecs (something you tend to do in MGS games) the whole thing was silly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quality over quantity any day of the week. I payed €15 or €20 for Ground Zeroes and didn't regret it one bit. So good.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

A fellow goon gave me 1886 after getting it for :10bux: or something. I didn't necessarily mind the length, and QTEs are QTEs, but it was a completely passable cover shooter with gorgeous graphics. The plot was not what I expected, I guess I wanted more Werewolves of London and less of how it ended up, but overall I'm glad I played it, but wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

NNick posted:

Did you time yourself/is there a timer? 'Cause I don't really remember the game actually being very much longer than that. I Redboxed it and played it one Saturday when it was new; there wasn't a ton there. $60 was about $30 too much, imo.

Renoistic posted:

Haven't played that game but the "gaming" press/community have weird hangups with regards to how long it takes to beat a game. Metal Gear Rising got roasted when it came out since some streamer beat in "5-6 hours". The fact that the game doesn't count cutscenes when calculating time played, or that the guy didn't explore for extra fights/collectibles, or lsiten to codecs (something you tend to do in MGS games) the whole thing was silly.

The Order definitely wasn't one of these situations. That game was short, with nothing to do afterwards but go back in for collectibles, IIRC.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Order 1886 is a quality game and I'd much rather play it's streamlined beauty any day over Skyrim's buggy ugly hellscape

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

zenintrude posted:

The Order 1886 is a quality game and I'd much rather play it's streamlined beauty any day over Skyrim's buggy ugly hellscape

I'm not the biggest Skyrim fan, but give me a messy buggy game than a polished-non game like The Order 1886 anytime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's very good and very spoopy (at least the place I got to after the opening acts). On paper it's just a haunted house, but in VR your whole body gets involved and you can do poo poo like peering through lattices, or craning your neck to see into open boxes, or leaning around corners to keep an eye on the guy searching for you. More than one scripted sequence has made me reflexively dodge out of the way IRL.

Yeah it really adds a lot to sneaking around being able to peer through little holes in the wall etc.

I wish they had taken a little more advantage of VR sometimes. There are some really cool things you could only do in VR. Like, it would be rad if you would occasionally turn you head to see something standing behind you or peering through a door or something.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Quality over quantity any day of the week.

I'd rather pay 50$ and enjoy a good game for 10 hours, than 10$ and waste 50 hours on some mediocre garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The quality v quantity argument is always silly and while Ground Zeros was really fun it was still horrendously over priced.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'd rather pay 50$ and enjoy a good game for 10 hours, than 10$ and waste 50 hours on some mediocre garbage.

It doesn't even work for that like me. I paid £40 for Uncharted 4 and have a very condensed, cinematic, heavily produced and ultimately fantasic 10 hours. For comparison sake, Rocket League, Binding of Isaac and Spelunky have a combined playtime of some 400 hours for me and those are 3 games you could potentially not have paid to directly own(not sure if Spelunky was ever on PS Plus). I bought all 3 at full price and adored them.

Videogame are great y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Ground Zeroes on PS+, best value until Knack drops