Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do beastmen have any method of destroying walls? Neither of their heroes seems to have that ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cygors

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Do beastmen have any method of destroying walls? Neither of their heroes seems to have that ability.
Besides Cygors, I don't think so but they do have the fastest door-bursting ability around and fast infantry that can actually flank.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Pretty sure he meant agents on the campaign map

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I got help from an Imperial ally in my Empire campaign and one thing got me "huh": their handgunners were shooting from behind their infantry line but had enough of an arc that they were hitting almost all shots. The terrain was flat, so I tried doing the same but no dice.

The only thing that was different was that it had a much larger gap between infantry and gunners. Unfortunately, I didn't grab any screens, but I was curious about that since I kinda suck at checkboard formations and using rifles from the back row would be fantastic :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im playing a VC campaign again after playing every other race at least once. Wow they are so OP. Its turn 20 and empire and bretonnia are already gone.

I made an attempt at the dwarfs and failed pretty immediately. Not being able to settle in their lands to replenish my army is a huge drag, im not sure how I can keep up my strength. I can only hope for a big enough battle to make a corpse pile to recruit from

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Raising the dead is the biggest campaign asset the VC have. One big fight and you basically get to ignore losses.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So 104 turns into my Very Hard Empire campaign, I discovered this little feature.

Yup, I'm a moron.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So this is something I've never been clear about in any TW game - does morale/leadership affect a unit's combat ability at all? Or is it just a thing where so long as they're >0 it doesn't make a difference? Basically should I use abilities that lower leadership just whenever, or only bother when a unit is wavering to push them over the line?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eschatos posted:

So 104 turns into my Very Hard Empire campaign, I discovered this little feature.

Yup, I'm a moron.

It's not that game-changing, I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing about it is making one of them Arch Lector (or whatever gives you the -5 corruption) and send them on a crusade into the heart of the Vampire lands. Really makes the conversion process more palatable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Some units get bonuses if their leadership is >50%. This is an ability they have.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So this is something I've never been clear about in any TW game - does morale/leadership affect a unit's combat ability at all? Or is it just a thing where so long as they're >0 it doesn't make a difference? Basically should I use abilities that lower leadership just whenever, or only bother when a unit is wavering to push them over the line?

Leadership doesn't affect their stats, no, but yeah you should really only use -leadership skills on wavering units or charge a terrifying unit at them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Eschatos posted:

Yup, I'm a moron.

Don't feel bad, the bonuses are pretty small. +5% income for Treasurer, I think -5% siege engine upkeep for Engineer, small stuff like that.

In comparison, thanks to Power Creep, the Wood Elf counterpart tends to be better, with the Wild Hunt giving lots of nice bonuses to an army to go tearing into Norsca.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

jokes posted:

It's not that game-changing, I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing about it is making one of them Arch Lector (or whatever gives you the -5 corruption) and send them on a crusade into the heart of the Vampire lands. Really makes the conversion process more palatable.

Found out about this after wiping out the Vampires. Corruption is still an issue but now that Chaos is everywhere I can't afford to camp an army there. However I did get this lovely lesson on how to best defeat Vampire lords.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just started this. Is the first tutorial battle supposed to be absolute poo poo or did I do something wrong? I blew chunks playing through it and got flanked and outmaneuvered all over but when I actually got past it had little problems when playing the actual game.

The whole tutorial just kind of felt like a mess but maybe I just didn't follow it correctly? A lord on a wolf-rider spawned in behind me and I couldn't re-position so I just ended up taking it up the rear end. My ranged unit got hosed hard and couldn't really do anything at that point. Felt really weird and not sure what happened. I mean, I won but it felt like I just brute-forced it and not really learned anything.

*edit* Playing as empire prince guy if that changes anything.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I found it very easy to follow but that's partly because I'm used to Total War as a franchise and have been playing Total Warhammer a lot recently. Don't be afraid to pause as this game gets very hectic fast. Always keep some troops in reserve and remember that Empire troops are relatively squishy especially when compared to Dwarf infantry or upgraded Wood Elf eternal guards.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The tutorial fight is weird, I don't know what it's trying to teach you to do since it does it very poorly and I'm thankful you can just skip it forever.

Also the Empire prince guy is Emperor Karl Franz, the baddest dude you ever did see, known for wearing a cape with his own name written on it, not unlike a WWE wrestler.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

i think goblins fight better with high moral, or in other terms, their stats get worse as moral goes down.

Use leadership spells on wavering units and you might just break a line with a click of a button.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Units with Frenzy get combat bonuses when their morale is high. Morale debuffs are also useful on units with low morale (listed on the unit card in red as a weakness).

For instance, Vargulfs (that massive bat King Kong monster) have relatively low morale. This is combined with the fact that Undead units simply crumble apart when they have low morale making it easier to wipe them out the better you do vs them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

jokes posted:

The tutorial fight is weird, I don't know what it's trying to teach you to do since it does it very poorly and I'm thankful you can just skip it forever.

Also the Empire prince guy is Emperor Karl Franz, the baddest dude you ever did see, known for wearing a cape with his own name written on it, not unlike a WWE wrestler.

It's weird I'm not 'into' Warhammer or cosplay but I legit looked up hi res pics of his outfit and looked into making it (but it's very complex and would be expensive)

His helmets kinda goofy tho, got a big rear end griffon on him head

Summon the elector counts

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
He rides a big rear end griffon so its fitting.

As for trying to make undead crumble via morale spells I think it might be a waste, the vampire can probably counteract the damage quite easily with invocation and will be doing it anyway for a big monster like a varghulf.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I just crumble undead by focus firing with ranged more than I would against other enemies. I can usually get two or three units to start crumbling before the main fight begins, which helps a lot. Otherwise, hammer and anvil kills undead just as good as any other race.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
What makes it possible for an enemy army to run away from a battle when I try to initiate? Marienburg just tried to siege a settlement I have an army in and so I went to attack them and they got to run a short way from my settlement and now i wont get the backup when I attack them.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spaseman posted:

What makes it possible for an enemy army to run away from a battle when I try to initiate? Marienburg just tried to siege a settlement I have an army in and so I went to attack them and they got to run a short way from my settlement and now i wont get the backup when I attack them.

Both the computer and you get one chance to retreat if you are attacked, if the attacker follow and initiate a second attack there is no chance to retreat and the defender will have to fight the battle no matter the odds, and if they lose they wipe.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Spaseman posted:

Everyone army not garrisoned in a settlement (including your armies) can retreat when attacked once, if they get attacked again in the same turn, can't run away again.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also I think (but am not certain) that if you retreat once and are forced to fight again your army starts 'tired' like if you got attacked force marching.

Karl Franz's DeathClaw gives a big morale penalty when charging (some kind of horrific griffon screech I assume). Items that reduce enemy morale or trigger fear/terror mesh nicely with this as you can get a lot of units to basically poo poo their pants and route almost immediately from flank charges.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chaos's artillery is so good in singleplayer it's very upsetting seeing a very good and fun matchup get marred by their super-accurate super-effective doomcannons that just delete an awful lot of units. I usually lose half my cavalry when I charge them because they get 2-3 perfect shots against them. They even have in-flight course correction which means you can't effectively juke them with heavy cavalry.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When playing as a faction that's got fliers, I usually sick 'em on the Hellcannons asap. The AI's not smart enough to guard them properly.

Just wait until Chaos Dwarfs are in and you've got to face the Earthshaker. :getin:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Are Chaos Dwarfs coming? I thought they were no longer can(n)on.

get it, because they've got a cannon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pff, that's no earthshaker. I don't see any deaf guardsmen aiming it at whatever looked at them funny. (Yes I know that's a basilisk but they fire earthshaker rounds)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

There are short dudes in very big hats crewing the Hellcannon.

Is there any secret to forming trade agreements as VC, or is it just 'you can't'? I have lots of buildings that produce trade resources, but not much to do with them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 30, 2017

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Those hats aren't even close to the lunacy of their older hats. Hopefully we never again see those old hats that were bigger than the dwarfs themselves.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any secret to forming trade agreements as VC, or is it just 'you can't'? I have lots of buildings that produce trade resources, but not much to do with them.

Lots of bribes. You can form trade agreements as VC but you are going to have to spend a lot of money just giving other factions gifts before they'll like you enough to trade with you. So if you do plan to do trading, you'll want to make sure it's with someone that you aren't going to be invading any time soon, since the trade agreements will have to be long term to make up for what you spent to get them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Im playing a VC campaign again after playing every other race at least once. Wow they are so OP. Its turn 20 and empire and bretonnia are already gone.

I made an attempt at the dwarfs and failed pretty immediately. Not being able to settle in their lands to replenish my army is a huge drag, im not sure how I can keep up my strength. I can only hope for a big enough battle to make a corpse pile to recruit from

Use raiding stance to not take attrition. Also force-vassalize the bluetooth dwarves or alternatively goblins so they can colonize this area and keep it safe.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Lassitude posted:

Those hats aren't even close to the lunacy of their older hats. Hopefully we never again see those old hats that were bigger than the dwarfs themselves.

Whoa whoa whoa let's not say things we can't take back. Chaos dwarves are far and away superior in hat technology.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nash posted:

Chaos dwarves are far and away superior in hat technology.

The High Elves can give them pretty stiff competition in tallness though, and the Empire have access to some impressive brim technology.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 30, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Lots of bribes. You can form trade agreements as VC but you are going to have to spend a lot of money just giving other factions gifts before they'll like you enough to trade with you. So if you do plan to do trading, you'll want to make sure it's with someone that you aren't going to be invading any time soon, since the trade agreements will have to be long term to make up for what you spent to get them.

you can't get them by eg picking on the orcs and trading with the dwarves?

quote:

Also force-vassalize the bluetooth dwarves or alternatively goblins so they can colonize this area and keep it safe.

so that's how the dwarf technology works. Makes sense, since the skaven would chew any cables to pieces.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

No official word, but it's probable. Grimgor mentions "big-hatted stunties" in his last quest battle speech, and I bet CA would love the chance to field knockoff Shimazu heavy gunners against dragons and giant spiders.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

According to the leaked DLC plans, they're coming after Skaven. Their veracity is still debatable, though I don't think they've been wrong yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Carcer posted:

He rides a big rear end griffon so its fitting.

The griffon on his hat should have another Franz riding it, wearing a griffon hat ridden by another Franz, etc forever

• Locked thread