Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaggitz posted:

The Godbird is up there with Dhoulmagus 2 in terms of DQ's highest brick wall bosses.

Dhoulmagus 2 is a dick but he was never as bad as Mudo in the SFC version of DQ6, assuming the fight on 3DS is unchanged from the PS2 version that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I didn't have dhoul2 use the ice thing at all during my fight with him, so it might have gotten removed? He was still an absolute beast of a boss though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Morrie owns bones. Now I just need to find a decent claw for him.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did they remove the ruinous shield from where it was in the ps2 version? I have that chest opened but no ruinous shield in my inventory. Really wanna make an MKS before fighting the final boss

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Just beat Rank S and got Morrie. We have access to Orkutsk but haven't been inside, hero is level 31. I used Skeledoid, Steropes, and Curer. (And several resets. :V I saved in the arena with only 2k gold.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zaggitz posted:

Did they remove the ruinous shield from where it was in the ps2 version? I have that chest opened but no ruinous shield in my inventory. Really wanna make an MKS before fighting the final boss

No? It's on the dark ruins island and iirc there might be two or so chests so make sure to do a double-check

Also does anyone have any rank x strats? I've been too intimidated to even try it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dhoulmagus down :toot:

I just had to alchemize up some penultimate equipment :science:

How much longer until Red?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Did they buff the final boss? Normally he could not use magic burst on the same turn as other attacks, but here he just used Magic Burst + arm whack for a wipe from full HP. Level 38/39 for everyone. Oh and for some reason he's very fast. On top of that he has much more than the 5600 HP the old FAQs say.

On the plus side you can bring Red and have her be the dedicated timbrel of tension user and get a solid 380 damage with falcon slash per turn.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If a person just wants to use boomerangs with the Hero to clear trash enemies, then is Power Throw a good stopping point in the skill tree?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Did Morrie's voice actor get a lighter voice with age? It isn't bad, I'm just wondering if its the same dude.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What's up with these postgame color twinkle photo quests?

Also should I do the new Altar of Wroth or the Dragovian Trials first?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

What's up with these postgame color twinkle photo quests?

Also should I do the new Altar of Wroth or the Dragovian Trials first?

Altar of Wroth.

And the twinkle photo quests are terrible and do not do them if you can reasonably avoid it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All you weirdos in the post-game already while I'm still back over here, desperately grinding cash because the goddamn Bazaar opened and my Alchemy Pot hungers for sacrifice.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supremezero posted:

Altar of Wroth.

And the twinkle photo quests are terrible and do not do them if you can reasonably avoid it.

what are they though, like what do they entail?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

what are they though, like what do they entail?

There's 4 spots on the world map where they spawn.

They spawn completely at random.

At least you get stuff from them, I guess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Did they change the locations that recruitable monsters appear at, or the requirements for getting them to appear, or something? I can't seem to find Brickman.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

Did they change the locations that recruitable monsters appear at, or the requirements for getting them to appear, or something? I can't seem to find Brickman.

I found Brickman to the east of the town in a ruined building.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vakal posted:

If a person just wants to use boomerangs with the Hero to clear trash enemies, then is Power Throw a good stopping point in the skill tree?

Probably, since nearly everything else is set damage attacks, but it's worth noting that Super Throw is literally Power Throw 2.0, down to doing 50% more damage unless it got buffed/nerfed. You'll probably get more out of putting the extra points in Courage or something though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rirse posted:

I found Brickman to the east of the town in a ruined building.

Turns out I can't read a map. Thanks!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are new recruitable monsters, however, and one of them - Philippa, a.k.a. The Apocalips, who's found west of Peregrin Quay, is really strong in lower ranks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you recruit that fat king creme slime near the start

I love all the variations of DQ slimes :3:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Vakal posted:

You do not have to put any points into boomerang to use it as a trash clearer, they're pretty good as is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you recruit that fat king creme slime near the start

Nah, only monsters with little crowns over their heads. The King Creme slime is a new kind of special monster you get access to by killing 30 common monsters in different areas (the photograph quests tell you which monsters actually tirgger a special one). As far as I know they're just there to be a fight that gives better rewards than a normal random encounter.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Play the DQ: Monsters series sometime for maximum slimitude.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does heroes 2 have more 9 references than 1, that is none (I read Patty is actually 9 referencing 3)? Nine was a pretty good game and it's a shame it gets nearly no representation. I mean, you could have one of the celestrians as a PC (the bald guy or the lady who hangs out at the inn)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Calaveron posted:

Does heroes 2 have more 9 references than 1, that is none (I read Patty is actually 9 referencing 3)? Nine was a pretty good game and it's a shame it gets nearly no representation. I mean, you could have one of the celestrians as a PC (the bald guy or the lady who hangs out at the inn)

Patty isn't so much a reference as she is just a recurring character. Any game where your party doesn't get a wagon, it's got Patty. So 3, 5, 6, and 9.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

YggiDee posted:

All you weirdos in the post-game already while I'm still back over here, desperately grinding cash because the goddamn Bazaar opened and my Alchemy Pot hungers for sacrifice.

This is exactly where I am

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Red with max knifes is making metal slime farming hilariously easy. half way through the tree she gets to equip swords and her max level skill blade cascade is basically a multi thrust that does like 7 hits. Throw a liquid metal sword on her and each of those hits does 2 damage.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Or you could just use hero and yangus CRIT skills.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bigass Moth posted:

Or you could just use hero and yangus CRIT skills.

Those miss. Blade Cascade doesn't.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Those miss. Blade Cascade doesn't.

Plus she seems to go before half the liquid metal slimes if it's a group. I've basically went from nailing one slime to 3-5 per battle provided they don't run the first turn.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is Bow/Staff Angelo a good choice? What are his must have moves from those lines and also his personal line?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Senerio posted:

Is Bow/Staff Angelo a good choice? What are his must have moves from those lines and also his personal line?

Bow and staff are absolutely an awesome choice, probably the best for Angelo. Go up to Seraph's Arrow with bows and up to Oomph with staves (anything after that is just passives anyway)

Charisma is pretty drat lackluster, but pearly gates is a pretty great move. Up to you if you want to invest 100 points though.

If you plan to tackle the post game stuff, 21 points into fisticuffs is one of the most beneficial choices you can make, as it provides a big boost to Angelo's evasion when unarmed, along with a decent agility boost.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

how does exp work with the two new party members? does everyone have to be in the battle to get credit?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Everyone gets exp.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh good, that's uh, more modern that i expected out of dragon quest to be honest

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AriadneThread posted:

oh good, that's uh, more modern that i expected out of dragon quest to be honest

Dragon Quest is honestly pretty good about that in games where you have a party who hangs around with you. The wagon party members in 5 get EXP for instance.

Its only when you drop them off and can't switch without going to a party planner that they don't get EXP.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Which swords can Red wield? Same as Jessica?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nihilarian posted:

Which swords can Red wield? Same as Jessica?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AriadneThread posted:

Everyone got EXP in DQ4 on the NES as long as the wagon was around, and a few places where it wasn't, like the first floor of the royal tome south of Endor, IIRC.