Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
nobody said poo poo about AJ McCarron's ford pickup

edit: and he was twice as poor as most of these kids growing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Not in Trump's America.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Georgia became unstoppable recruiting wise one mediocre year after hiring an Alabama coach hmmmmm how interesting

Richt's last two classes were ranked 8th and 5th. Georgia always recruited well. It's the crux of the Spurrier joke about them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

big money big clit posted:

Eddie Jackson was probably not given a BMW i8 and also a Vette stingray.

That was my thought, kike half of thoae are most likely at car shows or they saw one and grabbed a pic with it. Recruits aren't getting high performance cars worth 6 figures.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

it turns out you can take a picture next to anything

also black kids are allowed to have cars

Not in Alabama apparently. :iiam:

Every big time program has some violations going on at any given moment.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'll preface this by saying I absolutely don't care and wish VT did this stuff but you guys really must be joking if you don't think at least some of these aren't loaners from dealers owned by Bama boosters or cars owned by agents and loaned out (this is part of what doomed UNC all those years ago). You're all fully old enough to understand how this sport works with blue chip recruits and various things like cars, money, jobs for parents, etc.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 28, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Does Alabama not have white recruits or do they just not get cars?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Duckaerobics posted:

I'm an Auburn fan and I still don't think those pictures mean anything.

I'd post a picture of Rev. Newton's church, but I think I'd be arguing against Bama for that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

That enormous black pickup was for backup QB David Cornwell, who has transferred recently.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

That enormous black pickup was for backup QB David Cornwell, who has transferred recently.

Curiously not pictured standing near it, possibly because the sight of a cornfed white boy next to a lifted truck wouldn't strike anyone as out of sorts.

Like, the very first picture is of a Dodge Magnum, a car that hasn't existed since 2008, so it's at least six years old at that point. I guess we're supposed to believe that Alabama is plying a top recruit (in his sophomore year) with old dodges, and that's more believable than that his parents bought him a car that was likely dirt cheap at the time?

It's a really stupid post and the whole crux is the idea that these kids couldn't possible have Jeep Wranglers or pickups or an old BMW without something nefarious going on, ignoring the fact that plenty of non-football college kids also have those things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

That was my thought, kike

Whoa there!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Clint Trickett is joining Alabama's staff

Saban likes keeping dudes that hosed his daughter around I guess

But in all seriousness I really liked watching that guy play and was sad that his college career ended like David Ash Bitch. Glad that he somehow ended up with the Tide

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Curiously not pictured standing near it, possibly because the sight of a cornfed white boy next to a lifted truck wouldn't strike anyone as out of sorts.

Like, the very first picture is of a Dodge Magnum, a car that hasn't existed since 2008, so it's at least six years old at that point. I guess we're supposed to believe that Alabama is plying a top recruit (in his sophomore year) with old dodges, and that's more believable than that his parents bought him a car that was likely dirt cheap at the time?

It's a really stupid post and the whole crux is the idea that these kids couldn't possible have Jeep Wranglers or pickups or an old BMW without something nefarious going on, ignoring the fact that plenty of non-football college kids also have those things.

Mostly true but even the USC fans in that thread acknowledge that Reggie Bush's car was a '99 which makes it about equally as old.

That's likely what these loaners are anyway is just cleaned up used cars. A kid driving around in a 2017 BMW is going to attract immediate attention, a 2010 at least passes the feasibility test.

Like I said, it's very much ado about nothing to me but this is part of why UNC got hosed. It's fairly shocking that nothing ever comes out about bigger programs, especially something like current day Bama, because you know that campus has to be absolutely swarming with agents ready to do anything and everything, like loan a kid a car for 9 months, to get them to sign with them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

There's probably some shady stuff going on somewhere at Alabama, like every major program in the country, but the whole logic of that post is "there's no way these people acquired these cars honestly" which is the same logic police use to pull over ever black person who isn't driving a piece of poo poo...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Players getting free things is good

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There's probably some shady stuff going on somewhere at Alabama, like every major program in the country, but the whole logic of that post is "there's no way these people acquired these cars honestly" which is the same logic police use to pull over ever black person who isn't driving a piece of poo poo...

Oh cool we're going full GBS

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Like I said, it's very much ado about nothing to me but this is part of why UNC got hosed. It's fairly shocking that nothing ever comes out about bigger programs, especially something like current day Bama, because you know that campus has to be absolutely swarming with agents ready to do anything and everything, like loan a kid a car for 9 months, to get them to sign with them.
I'm sure players are having their needs taken care of but specifically with agents at Bama I'm not surprised there's nothing happening because I assume Nick Saban could just literally have them killed if they come anywhere near campus.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

vyst posted:

Black kid posts social media photo of himself adjacent to respectable looking car.

"Something fishy going on here for sure!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

vyst posted:

Yeah assuming dumb poo poo about people we don't know is GBS as gently caress.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Some dealerships give out loans to players/players families' based on "future earning power."

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Some dealerships give out loans to players/players families' based on "future earning power."

Isn't borrowing against future earning potential a violation?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yo 52 rapes holy poo poo Baylor. What's with that discrepancy with the school reported number of like the 17?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

Players getting free things is good

"Well, you see, the kids were just great negotiators. They came in, full of spunk, knowing their car stuff, and talked us down to buying the car for $10. Man, we really have to talk to that sales dude. Welp, gotta make it up somewhere else. A tip of the hat to those kids"

It's def not free. But there's enough coy plausible deniability to get it going without being nailed for it.

Also the NCAA doesn't care to nail Alabama for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yes, that happens. But some college kids also have decent, even nice cars, without having gotten them in some illicit manner, and I'm not sure how you separate one from the other based on an instagram posts.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Crotch Bat posted:

Some USC fan took a look at Bama players' Instagrams and well, it pays to be Bama

http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Contents/Alabamas-Recruiting-Dominance-Continues-Wow-50860219

I don't approve of Bama doing this. But it's kind of ironic that USC fans are whining about this, don't you think?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pillsburysoldier posted:

"Well, you see, the kids were just great negotiators. They came in, full of spunk, knowing their car stuff, and talked us down to buying the car for $10. Man, we really have to talk to that sales dude. Welp, gotta make it up somewhere else. A tip of the hat to those kids"

It's def not free. But there's enough coy plausible deniability to get it going without being nailed for it.

Yup! A division I FBS school with arguably the best coach in the division? Why nope, they didn't do anything wrong. Looks shady, but nothing wrong.

Now let me tell you how USC hosed up and how SMU deserved what it got.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think the answer is white people are supposed to have nice cars, so it's not suspicious when they do.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
This car thing is so loving stupid. Either:
a.)it's the players car that they got through legit means
b.)it is a car that a booster or someone gave them in violation of NCAA rules
c.)it isn't their car

None of these loving matter at all, and honestly I hope it's b because gently caress the NCAA.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah wow what's the backstory on that

I posted a lot in Negrotown when it was in D&D. There was a discussion about minorities using the military to try to rise out of poverty. I mentioned my dad went this route after growing up as a sharecropper. He also became a cop. So of course some weirdo decided this was an appropriate AV.

vyst posted:

Shut the gently caress up you suck

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 28, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So apparently Tech early-enrollee freshman WR Bronson Boyd attacked Tech early-enrollee freshman OL Will Farrar with some sort of weapon and injured him quite badly.

This might be the Tech record for fastest lost scholarship.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

kayakyakr posted:

So apparently Tech early-enrollee freshman WR Bronson Boyd attacked Tech early-enrollee freshman OL Will Farrar with some sort of weapon and injured him quite badly.

Yeah an OL that can't even take a WR has no place on a D1 team.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

kayakyakr posted:

I hope after he attacked the dude he ripped off his Tech shirt to reveal a TCU shirt underneath.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Sounds like the injury wasn't serious. A deepish cut on the chin with a pocket knife.

Needless to say, Boyd is no longer on the team.

And of course, there were apparently two 3* recruits (a CB and a DE) with them that are probably not coming to Tech after that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

who cares

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Sounds like the injury wasn't serious. A deepish cut on the chin with a pocket knife.

Needless to say, Boyd is no longer on the team.

And of course, there were apparently two 3* recruits (a CB and a DE) with them that are probably not coming to Tech after that.

Ah gently caress, another all-American WR for Oklahoma. :/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

seemingly not the NCAA, which is fine and good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Unless it impacts the NCAA bottom line, they don't care.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

indeed

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There's also the chance the kids just got the cars themselves. When I was in college I was able to get s credit card and a loan for a used car and I had zero credit.

It's amazing what creditors will give a college kid with no credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

There's also the chance the kids just got the cars themselves. When I was in college I was able to get s credit card and a loan for a used car and I had zero credit.

It's amazing what creditors will give a college kid with no credit.

Don't forget, you get a free t-shirt too!!!

• Locked thread