Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't know if I love the fact his middle name is Topaz or how he writes poetry with the rhyming scheme 14 year old me used.

"Good heavens the Tay Bridge has blown down". Good god man. A poet for the 21st century.

I also adore that there's one of those blue placards for him outside what's now a pub in Inverness, because gently caress the Temperance movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/824274778274070528

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm, I'm tired af

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

It's p lol that they've just said 'gently caress it' and written 'the english' next to 'westminster'

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While we're talking Scots, anybody know what this says?

Sion posted:

It's p lol that they've just said 'gently caress it' and written 'the english' next to 'westminster'

I think it's naughty of them to give away the secret code like that.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Having been at lots of burns nights where people are trying haggis for the first time, it's always funny to see people fearful and apprehensive like it's some crazy out-here local delicacy like monkey brains or fish eyes, then they try it and seem shocked that it tastes like mince lamb with some oats and seasoning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm a big fan of haggis mmm

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I actually thought it was alright, all things considered, especially since the original is a bit of fluff anyway. And this:

Pissflaps posted:

That doesn't scan.

is rather unfair. The original has a very rigid imabic metre with AAABAB rhyme scheme:

code:
Address to a Haggis

-   /   -    /  -    /   -    /
Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,   [A]
  -   /   -    /  -    /   -    /
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!  [A]
 - /   -    /  -    /   -    /
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,    [A]
  -      /     -     /
Painch, tripe, or thairm:        [B]
  -   /  -   /  -  /  -  /                      
Weel are ye worthy o' a grace       [A]
 -  /    -   /
As lang's my arm.                 [B]

etc etc
Now, Coohoolin's version has an extra syllable on every line in the first stanza and in lines 4 and 6 of the second stanza. By ending on an unstressed beat they are, I think, less effective in context because they lack the simple punch of hitting each line ending strongly, which helps for this kind of mock-grandiose poem. But, this doesn't mean they don't scan, since they still fit into an iambic pattern on a per-line basis:
code:
Address to the Trump

-    /   -  / -   / -    /    -           
Oh Thou! Whatever title suits thee-  [A]
 -   / -     / -   /   -   /  -     
The Donald, President or Numptie-  [A]
 -   /  -   /    -       /   -    /  -  
Wha in yon Whitehouse clean and shiny, [A]
-    /     -   /  - 
You tweet dispatches,    [B]
 -    /   -     /-    /    -  /  -  
And wave those tiny hands so lightly,  [A]
-    /     -    /  - 
To scauld poor wretches!    [B]

-     /    -   /   -      /  -    /
I've heard my rev';rend graunie say, [C]
-    / - /   -   /   -    /
In Aberdeen ye like to stray; [C]
-    /   -    /   -     /    -     /
Or, on your windswept golf course play, [C]
-     /    -   /   - 
And shout at neighbours, [D]
-    /     -   / -   /-/
Ye fright the weary SNP, [C]
-     / -    /  - 
Wi fearsome havers. [D]

-     /    -   /    -     / -     /
But mind you weel, auld Donald John,  [E]
-    /    -     /     -    /    -    /
In four short years, your time is gone! [E]
-  / - /   -      /  -    /
Ye albins might- I dinna ken- [E]
-     /   -    / 
Still hae a course; [F]
-    /   -     /    -    /   -   /
So mind the schemes of mice an' men [E]
-    /     -   / 
An' fear the worst. [F]
And yes, Burns is cool and good.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Another quality Niric post. You should get an award.

Pissflaps posted:

While we're talking Scots, anybody know what this says?

I think it's naughty of them to give away the secret code like that.

Yeah it's always been super subtle but the cats out of the bag now, eh?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

TomViolence posted:

No, Gaelic. Well, whichever regional Scottish language winds this self-loathing thread up the most, take your pick.

Too much to hope for a dramatic reading at this years Fringe?
Wallace and Gromit slash fic as read by Miss Jean Brodie could be a wonderful culture clash, as well as winding up the thread obvs.

Only Burns and McGonagall name-dropped as Scottish poets? smdh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Too much to hope for a dramatic reading at this years Fringe?
Wallace and Gromit slash fic as read by Miss Jean Brodie could be a wonderful culture clash, as well as winding up the thread obvs.

Only Burns and McGonagall name-dropped as Scottish poets? smdh

High school built up a lifelong hatred of poetry in me, sorry.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

forkboy84 posted:

Same, I'm surprised English wasn't rated higher in that poll

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

TomViolence posted:

No, Gaelic. Well, whichever regional Scottish language winds this self-loathing thread up the most, take your pick.

Technically it isn't self-hatred on my part because I hate everywhere and everything about Scotland outside of Glasgow.

Apart from the scenery that is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sion posted:

And conflated both with "Conservatives". It's not even dogwhistle racism.

On the subject of Der McSturmer, did something happen to it? I haven't seen it on the supermarket paper racks in a while.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Really interesting article in Al Jazeera about how Nicola Sturgeon isn't very good: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/01/nicola-sturgeon-champion-liberalism-170123082649966.html

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

cargohills posted:

Really interesting article in Al Jazeera about how Nicola Sturgeon isn't very good: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/01/nicola-sturgeon-champion-liberalism-170123082649966.html

That's an interesting take. I enjoy left-wing critique of SNP & their turn into the establishment party, with all the conservatism that comes with that. I'll have to email it to my mum, She seems to take any criticism of Nicola personally & that is funny.

I also see some folk talking of a 2018 indyref2? Not sure if I believe that. Seems too soon.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I read a comment that the SNP have already shifted the focus of a second referendum away from the economic case for leaving based on EU membership (because it doesn't work) and instead are going for a sense of grievance on the whole 'being dragged out' front.

If they can't put forward a cohesive economic case they'll lose again.

Also based on the Electoral Commissions ruling for the EU referendum question, I understand a second Scottish referendum would probably use similar 'leave/remain' options rather than yes and no, which would have a fascinating effect on each campaign. I expect the SNP would fight hard to reuse the last question.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd imagine even if the question was remain/leave the Yes campaign will try to keep its name. At least the remain side wouldn't have to campaign on "no thanks" or "better together" though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
My Tory grandmother dragged me to the Burns centre in Ayr (or whatever it's called these days) every time we visited so I loving hate Burns.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

oh, you were serious. Have some Tom Leonard.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Happy Burns night Scotpol friends!

Hoops posted:

Having been at lots of burns nights where people are trying haggis for the first time, it's always funny to see people fearful and apprehensive like it's some crazy out-here local delicacy like monkey brains or fish eyes, then they try it and seem shocked that it tastes like mince lamb with some oats and seasoning.

Unfortunately it's not possible to get haggis in this benighted country, but I imported some last year and held an out of season Burns night in October so had the joy of introducing haggis to apprehensive foreigners all the same (they all liked it).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Only in Scotland do the mental institutions have a Burns Unit.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^Burns is a form of student torture - next up Sir Welter Scott the strapping fellow!

forkboy84 posted:

Consider that an awful lot of what you listen to for pleasure may actually be poetry set to music.

I know this guy and think he's pretty good (audio is not the best).

And although not Scottish Kate Tempests 'Let Them Eat Chaos' should be required viewing for everyone.
One of the things that saved 2016 from being only poo poo imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Consider that an awful lot of what you listen to for pleasure may actually be poetry set to music.

I know this guy and think he's pretty good (audio is not the best).

And although not Scottish Kate Tempests 'Let Them Eat Chaos' should be required viewing for everyone.
One of the things that saved 2016 from being only poo poo imo.

Yeah, Kate Tempest is good. But then I've never had a teacher force me to analyse Cannibal Corpse' I Cum Blood (or more realistically, Dylan or whoever the gently caress is a respected lyricist) so I've not been turned off from it. Plus, good music can give bad lyrics a pass, but for me it doesn't go the other way. Although I suppose some might describe the Sleaford Mods as bad music/good lyrics, they'd be wrong. Naming no names, Jedit...

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Kate Tempest is literally awesome - that hour long performance with no notes..

Yeah, teachers have a lot to answer for when it comes to shaping future likes.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Sounds like y'all had poo poo teachers, I still love me some poetry and school didn't even manage to put me off Shakespeare.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Some interesting stats on indyref2 - looks like No-voting remainers are switching to Yes in the same numbers as Yes-voting leavers switching to No: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/01/27/why-have-polls-not-shown-shift-towards-scottish-in/

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38786119

quote:

'Upset and afraid' Glasgow vet caught in US flight ban

A vet from Glasgow says she is "upset" and "afraid" after being prevented from flying to the US under President Donald Trump's executive order barring people from several Muslim countries.
Hamaseh Tayari, who holds an Iranian passport, had been due to fly home from a holiday in Costa Rica via New York.
But she has been told she cannot fly to the USA because of the order.

Dr Tayari grew up and studied in Italy, qualifying as a vet in 2012.
She was awarded a PhD by the University of Pisa after a short period of extra training in Switzerland and moved to Glasgow to continue her studies in November 2015.
She said: "I still have Iranian nationality, because I've never thought about changing it.
"I've never had any problems until now, maybe I've had to wait a bit longer for visas, but nothing like this has happened to me.
"In my passport I have a regular transit visa for the USA, but they told me the visa is not any more valid."
She was left trying to find alternative routes home but, as there are no direct flights from Costa Rica to the UK, needed to transit.

brave new world :stonklol:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Christ. The Tories/UKIP must be loving this- no matter what they say/promise/do they'll almost certainly look "moderate" when compared with the gleefully simplistic cartoon villainy going on in America

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Glasgow City Council have decided to stop funding Sheltered Housing by 2018, or rather they've decided to only fund for High and Medium risk Sheltered Tenants and want to fundamentally change the job that Sheltered Housing does and to stop calling it Sheltered housing. This'll probably hit the press in the coming months.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glasgow City Council have decided to stop funding Sheltered Housing by 2018, or rather they've decided to only fund for High and Medium risk Sheltered Tenants and want to fundamentally change the job that Sheltered Housing does and to stop calling it Sheltered housing. This'll probably hit the press in the coming months.

Question will be if it hits close to or far from the elections.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Christ. The Tories/UKIP must be loving this- no matter what they say/promise/do they'll almost certainly look "moderate" when compared with the gleefully simplistic cartoon villainy going on in America

Except Theresa May is going along with it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

Except Theresa May is going along with it.

Well, she's not comdemning it, but she isn't (yet) doing the same thing here, so she's taking a "moderate" position in that sense (n.b. I don't actually think this is moderate!). What worries me is that this type of policy might be popular amongst a large minority, even here, and that that minority will have enough electoral sway to influence what politicians think. It's not just the racism, it's the real pushback against any kind of international outlook or transnational interaction beyond selling things to each other.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Niric posted:

Well, she's not comdemning it, but she isn't (yet) doing the same thing here, so she's taking a "moderate" position in that sense (n.b. I don't actually think this is moderate!). What worries me is that this type of policy might be popular amongst a large minority, even here, and that that minority will have enough electoral sway to influence what politicians think. It's not just the racism, it's the real pushback against any kind of international outlook or transnational interaction beyond selling things to each other.

This is the root of the problem, people like to pretend that thier politicians are cartoonishly evil characters doing evil things out of spite for the rational and reasonable populace. This just isn't true, people voted for trump explicitly to ban Muslims from the US so thats what hes done. Its called populism for a reason. It's what happens when people start in politics to reflect the views of society not to shape them.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
as National covers go, that's not too bad

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They forgot to list the two SNP MPs who didn't vote to block it. I wonder why.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

They forgot to list the two SNP MPs who didn't vote to block it. I wonder why.

Could it be because abstention isn't quite the same as voting for?

So, the SNP & Greens have come to an accord on the budget, as you'd expect. Any feelings on it? I've not had a chance to read anything about it yet

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Could it be because abstention isn't quite the same as voting for?

Nor is voting to table an act the same as carrying out the consequences, a distinction lost on the Nazi Anal.

Why do the SNP need an accord on the budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

The two SNP abstentions were due to family issues and ill health, not political factors.