Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
guard break not doing anything when it lands before an opponents attack animation is so loving frustrating, i just loving sit there jerking off mid air and they start beating the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I don't know how much use it is, but the Raider can guard-break toss someone infront of them other than just using the running charge, Hold down(as opposed to tap, which will put them behind you) and square, and you will basically do a big spinning irish whip throwing them infront of you. Once again not really sure of the validity of it right now as the running charge is great and already moves them forward if you want that, but its something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

some things I've missed:

How do some people go super saiyan? They start glowing and anyone near them gets flung back. Is it the revenge meter thing? Why do I never get to go supersaiyan :(

How do you block from behind? I've backstabbed people who blocked me while facing the opposite way :stare:

You've got a revenge meter in the bottom left, it builds up a little every time you're hit or block an attack. Against a single opponent it usually won't fill up, but if you're up against two or more enemies at the same time it'll fill in a hurry. Basically commit to a 2v1 fight and focus on just blocking for a few seconds, and you'll get there.
Once the bar is full, press R (on kb) or Y (on 360 controller) to activate it. While you're in revenge mode, you do far more damage, get a bunch of additional temporary HP, your attacks become uninterruptible, and every time you parry your enemy is thrown to the ground. The trick is that at the moment you trigger it, all incoming attacks are auto-parried, throwing the attackers to the ground. That means if you time it right, you can throw down at least one attacker and go ham on them with increased damage while his friends' attacks just bounce off of you.

Blocking attacks from the sides or behind is simply a matter of putting your guard in the direction of the attacker. E.g. if he's attacking you from the rear right, just put your guard to the right and you'll block all of his attacks, no matter what attack direction he's using. Additionally, if you're blocking an attack from your locked-on target and another enemy is about to hit you at exactly the same time, the second attack is blocked automatically as well.

Generally, if you're ganging up with a teammate on a single guy, the best idea is for the one at his back to use guardbreaks and unblockable staggers (shield bash, shoulder charge, kicks, etc.) while the other attacks as normal. Regular attacks coming from the side are incredibly easy to block, and do nothing but fill up his revenge meter.

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't know how much use it is, but the Raider can guard-break toss someone infront of them other than just using the running charge, Hold down(as opposed to tap, which will put them behind you) and square, and you will basically do a big spinning irish whip throwing them infront of you. Once again not really sure of the validity of it right now as the running charge is great and already moves them forward if you want that, but its something.

The nice thing about that move is that your target actively collides with all other enemies and mooks in the area. The bystanders will be staggered by the collision, and the guy you're throwing around will lose some additional stamina with each guy hit. It's a nice way to completely drain somebody of stamina when fighting in a group of mooks, or to give yourself some space in a 2v1.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 29, 2017

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
If anyone else is playing Warlord, make sure when you grab someone you hold down the grab button when you move them in a direction. You move them like twice as far. I've tossed people off ledges even when we were nowhere near them.

Also don't forget the sprinting shield charge. It seems to miss often for me, but when it hits it's a great way to start a fight (or end one quickly).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

marshmallow creep posted:

The mooks are there to be "immersive." and the ranged attacks you mentioned are basically someone's killstreak ability.

Mooks are not there to be immersive. Mooks are the fastest way to level up and unlock your skills, which are extremely crucial.

Lots of people are knocking dominion with kneejerk reactions who haven't yet figured out all its nuances :v:

And its not at all a killstreak. Killstreaks you earn after fast kills and then consume and have to earn again. This is something you level up and unlock for the rest of the match, with a short cooldown. (the cooldown isn't related to killing mooks anymore)

Its exactly like a MOBA.

DrGreatJob posted:

So... what is the point of the minions? To be incredibly annoying and just in the way?

And why are there ranged attacks that do like 75% of my HP?

I like this game, but man, there are some highly questionable design decisions.

Mooks are how you level up, like in a MOBA. Exactly like a MOBA. There's even lanes like a moba!

E: Those ranged attacks that do 75% of your HP are ultimates you get for leveling up, by killing mooks. Again, like a MOBA. Its a very good design because you have to balance as a team holding points A and C for point value but you wanna hold B for mooks to level up. Getting those ultimates lets you straight up murder the enemy, but the team who gets the points initiates sudden death for the other first. So its a balancing game. Don't judge competitive design based on the headless chickens in a beta.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 29, 2017

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
Anyone playing with the conqueror? I'm wondering what tricks you guys are using in your duels. I'm fairly successful with the heavy or two swings followed by the shield bash and another heavy swing. Also the Dodge shield bash and a light attack follow up. But what else are people using to get the job done?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ahh you know what gently caress it, pre-ordered. This game absolutely knocks out of the loving park what it sets out to do so even if I got other games on the horizon this will probably still shine through.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

work the balls Sally posted:

Anyone playing with the conqueror? I'm wondering what tricks you guys are using in your duels. I'm fairly successful with the heavy or two swings followed by the shield bash and another heavy swing. Also the Dodge shield bash and a light attack follow up. But what else are people using to get the job done?

The wind-up for your heavy attack can be more useful than it appears at first. It'll usually bait the enemy into attacking, so you can combine it with your superior block attack (i.e. where you attack just before their attack lands, blocking theirs and allowing yours to go through). The timing's a bit tricky, but if it lands that's some hefty guaranteed damage. If the enemy wises up and goes in for a guardbreak just let it fly immediately, usually it'll go through while the guardbreak whiffs.

Conq also really benefits from landing guardbreaks. Hit them with one and throw them into a wall for a free heavy attack. You can then either follow up with a shield bash or another heavy, putting your opponent into a soft mixup. Shield bashing somebody into a wall should also give you enough time for a heavy. If you've got the enemy in a corner you can get a near-infinite combo going with alternating heavy attacks and shield bashes, but that's kind of a dickish thing to do.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This game is really fun when the combat clicks.

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.

Perestroika posted:

The wind-up for your heavy attack can be more useful than it appears at first. It'll usually bait the enemy into attacking, so you can combine it with your superior block attack (i.e. where you attack just before their attack lands, blocking theirs and allowing yours to go through). The timing's a bit tricky, but if it lands that's some hefty guaranteed damage. If the enemy wises up and goes in for a guardbreak just let it fly immediately, usually it'll go through while the guardbreak whiffs.

Conq also really benefits from landing guardbreaks. Hit them with one and throw them into a wall for a free heavy attack. You can then either follow up with a shield bash or another heavy, putting your opponent into a soft mixup. Shield bashing somebody into a wall should also give you enough time for a heavy. If you've got the enemy in a corner you can get a near-infinite combo going with alternating heavy attacks and shield bashes, but that's kind of a dickish thing to do.

Nice tips, thank you. What all can be canceled? What I'm running into now is people dodging the shield charge, which almost guarantees I'll eat the following hit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nice tips, thank you. What all can be canceled? What I'm running into now is people dodging the shield charge, which almost guarantees I'll eat the following hit.

Conq in particular can't feint, so there's not much in the way of cancels for him. However, some of the other character's unblockable staggers (Warden's shoulder bash, Warlord's headbutt) can be cancelled into a regular guardbreak by hitting the button again. That creates another mixup since the guardbreak can not be dodged, while the bash itself can only be dodged. I dunno if that applies to Conq's shieldbash as well and I can't check right now, but it's worth trying. :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can't remember the name but the girl hero with the long spear thingy is so good in 4v4. You can just dart in, deal some damage and then dart out again. There's no need to commit to any fight fully unless you feel like it... you can just poison fools left and right and run around the battlefield like the most annoying person ever

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Another tip: if you're going up against bad blockers such as assassins, you might want to try the infinite light chain on them. It's about 50/50 on them being good enough to defend against it or get demolished by a chain of 6-7 hits (by loving up, or by blocking but getting hit by the next uninterrupted swing because of an overly fancy riposte). The infinite light chain doesn't work too well on characters that can break chains on block though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

that's only true against bad players really, anyone can parry which interrupts the chain

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

Ahh you know what gently caress it, pre-ordered. This game absolutely knocks out of the loving park what it sets out to do so even if I got other games on the horizon this will probably still shine through.

Paid $60+ dollars(not counting the new ps4 fightstick I had to buy) for SFV and that was hot garbage, at least this game has content at launch

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Read from bottom to top.

The cause: a man was very angry that my Nobushi was playing passively* against his Peacekeeper which was in non-stop rush mode. This is the entire message string, I really didn't send him anything to trigger this.

*Passively: Using back poke, attempting to maintain distance.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Indecisive posted:

that's only true against bad players really, anyone can parry which interrupts the chain

In theory yeah, but in practice it looks like once about two hits get in, the acceleration on the infinite makes people choke really hard on proper blocks and parries and is hilarious. Even if they manage to parry at some point, you come out of the exchange a winner.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

Read from bottom to top.

The cause: a man was very angry that my Nobushi was playing passively* against his Peacekeeper which was in non-stop rush mode. This is the entire message string, I really didn't send him anything to trigger this.

*Passively: Using back poke, attempting to maintain distance.

The game really brings the worst out of people doesn't it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i can not believe you would use the best strategy against me in this competitive videogame

you are SUCH A DICK

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

i can not believe you would use the best strategy against me in this competitive videogame

you are SUCH A DICK

The surreal part was that he was sending one message in between each round of the duel. He must have had a keyboard (Xbox). So every round I would get a new message notification. We played two matches and he lost both, then left the lobby, then challenged me to a private 1v1.

lol

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

It's just people who refuse to learn how to counter play styles. The game is pretty balanced nothing it really op.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Players getting staggered when other players are thrown into them is a fairly new addition, and I love everything about it. :allears:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
One major change I think should be made is not being able to dash when you're out of stamina because as it stands being out of stamina is barely a hindrance. You can just dash backwards forever till it regens so it's impossible to knock them down with a guard break.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Drop lock, sprint. Out of stamina isn't supposed to be a hindrance other than you stop attacking. You can take 50% of someone's bar with one parry and parrying lights isn't exactly hard. I mean, if you're fine with the idea that as soon as you run out of stam a warden will be able to 100 to 0 you if they land a single light, then sure, take away your dashes. Or raiders chucking you off any available edge. Any unblockable makes this a terrible idea really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is beautiful.

Also you look like Raiden with that color and armor getup.

Keegers posted:

It's just people who refuse to learn how to counter play styles. The game is pretty balanced nothing it really op.

Yeah. And its made worse by being a beta. When the real game is out there'll be tons of wikis and youtubes with information so the people who aren't very observant can go find out what they've been missing, and then they'll stop complaining about this being OP or some game mode making no sense.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Streaming more 1v1 Peacekeeper for a while today, wrecking fools who don't know how to block:

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Streaming more 1v1 Peacekeeper for a while today, wrecking fools who don't know how to block:

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

Dangit man, learn how to pull off the proper three stabs after a guardbreak. :v:

Also, Peacekeeper gets a guaranteed guardbreak after a parry, which I think is currently her only safe followup punish in that situation. It's bordering on being a bit broken, but feel free to make use of it while it lasts.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
Speaking of Peacekeeper, I get wrecked by her triple stab guardbreak. It feels like it does crazy damage. Is there any way to stop it, other than getting good at guardbreak counters? Sometimes I don't get stabbed all three times; is that the Peacekeeper just messing up the combo, or is there something I can to avoid taking massive damage if I get guardbroke?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Photux posted:

Speaking of Peacekeeper, I get wrecked by her triple stab guardbreak. It feels like it does crazy damage. Is there any way to stop it, other than getting good at guardbreak counters? Sometimes I don't get stabbed all three times; is that the Peacekeeper just messing up the combo, or is there something I can to avoid taking massive damage if I get guardbroke?

Usually thats peacekeeper loving up, nut I read that if you guard break between stabs it stops the combo. Dunno if its true

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Gimbal lock posted:

Teammates included.

Holy poo poo you attacked my target, he revenged and killed me all because of you.

:raise:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Hard posted:

Teammates included.

Holy poo poo you attacked my target, he revenged and killed me all because of you.

To be fair when I clearly am winning don't come in and give him revenge or mess up my combo go do something else. You have to read the situation and decide if your help is needed or should you go do something else more productive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hard posted:

Teammates included.

To be fair, there are times when it's legitimately easier to dispose of a guy one on one instead of having the "help" of a somewhat overeager teammate. Raiders in particular seem very fond of just swinging for the bleachers with wild abandon, hitting their teammates more often than their enemy :v:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Dangit man, learn how to pull off the proper three stabs after a guardbreak. :v:

Dude no poo poo, this is definitely my weakest point - how the gently caress do I do this?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

Dude no poo poo, this is definitely my weakest point - how the gently caress do I do this?

It's basically a matter of hitting light attack twice more with just the right timing. Hitting it too early or spamming it will abort the whole thing entirely. I haven't played her too much yet, but I'd say it's perhaps slightly less than half a second between each stab.

If you want to practice, check the "How to play" section then bot match. Selecting bot level 0 will present you with a training dummy that does nothing and has infinite life. That should make it pretty easy to nail down in just a few minutes.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

panda clue posted:

You just tap r1 at a moderate pace. I mean technically you're timing the presses (I guess) but it's very easy. Won't work if you mash.

Perestroika posted:

Also, Peacekeeper gets a guaranteed guardbreak after a parry, which I think is currently her only safe followup punish in that situation. It's bordering on being a bit broken, but feel free to make use of it while it lasts.

Does she really? I've been playing her a little today and quickly realized that yeah she can't get much off a parry but this isn't something I tried. I assume by guaranteed you just mean it connecting, not that they can't break though, right? Another option is the forward dash strike which probably isn't a true combo but it is fast and you do get the guaranteed dagger follow up.

Photux posted:

Pretty sure if you miss the break you just have to hope they decide to not stab you all three times/mess up. Not even level 3 bots will break out early and they absolutely love to tech things so I just don't think it's possible. Other than getting better at breaking, trying to keep on the offensive can help but it's going to depend on your own class.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 29, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Megaflare posted:

Does she really? I've been playing her a little today and quickly realized that yeah she can't get much off a parry but this isn't something I tried. I assume by guaranteed you just mean it connecting, not that they can't break though, right? Another option is the forward dash strike which probably isn't a true combo but it is fast and you do get the guaranteed dagger follow up.

I've tried it a bunch of times with a friend and it seems wholly guaranteed, with no way out for the victim. The slightly counterintuitive trick to it is to not try and dodge in to close the distance beforehand, just hit guardbreak right away and it'll connect. And as far as we could tell, the victim can neither tech out of it, nor dodge away, nor interrupt it with an attack. It's basically a guaranteed 20-40% damage on a parry, which is why it might just be a tad silly.

The only other thing we've found that is guaranteed to connect is her area attack. But that's really just a light attack that costs a huge chunk of your stamina, so it doesn't really compare with the guardbreak.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Interesting. The counterintuitiveness of that is possibly related to the thing where sometimes the Warden will step forward in to his guard break animation and sometimes will just stand there. I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes he'll close distance and sometimes he won't.

Ed: Level 3 bots have not ever teched it so I think you're right. That's huge.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 29, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, there are times when it's legitimately easier to dispose of a guy one on one instead of having the "help" of a somewhat overeager teammate. Raiders in particular seem very fond of just swinging for the bleachers with wild abandon, hitting their teammates more often than their enemy :v:

Yeah Raiders are definitely my least favorite teammates. Either because that class attracts people who just think straightforward and charge around or because its attacks are more sweeping, they seem to constantly charge in and interrupt my combo and help my opponent get away. Like god drat dude, he was almost dead. I had him.

Its beta though so lots of people are still playing for the first time and haven't even learned that you can interrupt allies with your swings. (I like that it works that way, no friendly fire damage but you do have to make room for each other; but its annoying with noobs :cheeky:)

Megaflare posted:

Interesting. The counterintuitiveness of that is possibly related to the thing where sometimes the Warden will step forward in to his guard break animation and sometimes will just stand there. I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes he'll close distance and sometimes he won't.

Maybe you're talking about something else, but Warden's bodyslam can be charged for longer distance. But that's not actually warden's guard break. Kensei has the same and you can cancel it, maybe into guard break...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe you're talking about something else, but Warden's bodyslam can be charged for longer distance. But that's not actually warden's guard break. Kensei has the same and you can cancel it, maybe into guard break...

Nope I'm talking about his standard guard break. I know his shoulder charge can be charged.