Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Sigh, why are my spiritual militarists not allowed to purge or enslave people.

I guess I should have gone for xenophobic rather than full spiritual for my space confederates but goddammit, the idea of 'The Wrath of God' theocratic dictatorship just seemed right.

I guess I can console it in but then I gotta do it every time I play because it doesn't stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Given the current political climate, it felt really good to reform my empire so we can't forcibly resettle or purge any pops. It felt right. We're still working on building up resources and making a great fleet, but....we're a decent, good empire that will spread throughout the stars and crush its enemies. :3:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I just want to find primitives I share preferred climates with, invade them then kill them all so their penalty doesn't matter. :(

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I just want to find primitives I share preferred climates with, invade them then kill them all so their penalty doesn't matter. :(
Everyone else will hate you anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you terraform a planet with pre-sentient life they die off and disappear so you can use all tiles. :woop:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Poil posted:

If you terraform a planet with pre-sentient life they die off and disappear so you can use all tiles. :woop:

Why would you ever not want to uplift and get buddies with special traits and a big happiness bonus?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Why would you ever not want to uplift and get buddies with special traits and a big happiness bonus?
Their special trait sucked, and I couldn't colonize the planet with my primary species anyway. Also I already had much better uplifted friends.

Boonbox
Apr 9, 2009
Now that eating sentients is going to be a thing, and food is going to be a global resource, I'm just hoping that we can now trade food with other empires. Then my first 1.5 playthrough is going to consist of finding some racist space parrots, and opening an intergalactic chain of fast food racist-space-parrot-burger restaurants.

Stellaris: one small snack for man, one giant feast for mankind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I guess I should have gone for xenophobic rather than full spiritual for my space confederates but goddammit, the idea of 'The Wrath of God' theocratic dictatorship just seemed right.

I guess I can console it in but then I gotta do it every time I play because it doesn't stick.

They are, you just have to pick the government type that allows slavery. At least that is how it worked last time I played spiritualist.

Edit: Looks like that was changed, that sucks. Especially since the description basically says everyone in the state is a slave still. Weird.

Rather than using the console just mod the ethos, imo. I can throw up a quick mod for you tonight that does that if you want

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 29, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Because spiritualist militaristic which means you're a fanatic of one of them and less so of the other. Meaning you're a race of warriors who have religion form a big part of your life, or youre a race of monks who also train in warfare a lot.

If you wanted to be an Imperium of Man style race from 40K, best combo is Spiritualist, Militarist, Xenophobe but even then the Imperium in 40k has no qualms about human slavery so you could say Spiritualist, Collectivist, Xenophobe, but then you can't access full bombardment and some of the militaristic tech like combat arenas.

Ultimately the limitation to 3 points is mainly for game play reasons, so you need to play around it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The impression one gets of the Imperium is that it is fanatical in all things it does. Is it possible to be fanatical in multiple disciplines through mods?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Anticheese posted:

Seeing pre-sentients is so rare for me that I couldn't even consider doing anything but this.

Dealing with pre-FTL species is to me probably the most interesting part of the game so if Paradox came out with an expansion entirely about deepening it, I think the money would just disappear out of my bank account of its own accord.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the restrictive nature of ethics really introduces a disconnect between how my cool empire works in my head and how i have to play them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I did an event chain that changed my Blorg commonality into a fanatical spiritualist collectivist state. The down side is, everyone I used to be friends with (everyone) now hates me. The upside is, I could purge the few remaining shrooms with roughly zero penalty (they mostly moved into other empires and quickly got replaced by robots), and now I'm spreading the holy word of AI through the galaxy. I'm not going to stop until every single pop on every single planet in these 1000 systems is robbits. :3:

This owns. When do we get robotic city scapes and ships?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is it intended that you only get one shot at the enigmatic fortress event? Like it will re-arm and then not create the research projects a second time.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Is it intended that you only get one shot at the enigmatic fortress event? Like it will re-arm and then not create the research projects a second time.
I don't think so. I think there is only one option ending in total failure.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Even when it was "outdated" my Warframe Emblems still worked. Still, I incremented the version number so it'd stop throwing warnings at people.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Truga posted:

So I did an event chain that changed my Blorg commonality into a fanatical spiritualist collectivist state. The down side is, everyone I used to be friends with (everyone) now hates me.
That goes against everything the Blorg went to space for. :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

The impression one gets of the Imperium is that it is fanatical in all things it does. Is it possible to be fanatical in multiple disciplines through mods?

Yeah there's a bunch of mods that do that sort of stuff, it's "easy" to change (as in for people who know how to mod it's easy, I know nothing).

I contributed to the Warhammer 40K mod on there, mostly as an ideas/design guy because I knew nothing about coding, but I kept pushing them to realise actually you can already represent most of the 40K races with minor tweaks. Like the Imperium is like a Fanatic Collectivist, Fanatic Xenophobic, Fanatic Spiritualist, Militaristic empire, with humans having Quick Learning and Nomadic. Then each of the Space Marine chapters would be a vassal with one planet, who are Fanatic Spiritualist, Fanatic Militarist, Fanatic Xenophobes with Strong, Enduring, and Talented (not sure how to make Space Marines "worse" to play as than the Imperium , but easily tweaked). The Adeptus Mechanicus would also be a vassal, with forge worlds dotted around that produce poo poo tons of minerals.

Then you just tweak their diplomacy so they basically all like each other to varying degrees and that's the Imperium.

The Tau would be like Fanatic Collectivist, Fanatic Materialists, the Eldar would be Fallen Empires.

The base system is actually quite flexible with a few tweaks.

Problem was I think the dude running it had a hard time saying no to people and then the moment actual work needed to be done no one was interested. The art conversion pack that exists now was my idea, saying get something out on day 1, even if it's just "We made all the races and used all the artwork" and it'll be THE 40K mod. I don't think it's compatible with the latest version though.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hey Wiz, with all the new stuff being added, what are the chances of some sort of emergency reloaction action being put in somewhere? It's frustrating to get extra pops from events like the nomads or the tomb world vault event who start on worlds that has a horribly low habitability rating for them and not being able to move them to a better world.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

King Doom posted:

Hey Wiz, with all the new stuff being added, what are the chances of some sort of emergency reloaction action being put in somewhere? It's frustrating to get extra pops from events like the nomads or the tomb world vault event who start on worlds that has a horribly low habitability rating for them and not being able to move them to a better world.

What would differentiate an emergency relocation and regular player-driven relocation? Because that is a thing you can do if your policies allow, and if they don't, well, they don't.

EDIT: The low habitability does sound like a potential bug though. Will investigate when I'm back at the office.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
It seems like the variants of your starting population which are generated by the DLC event chain should qualify for Suffer Not The Alien...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Everyone else will hate you anyway.
I don't mind, I mostly hate them anyway for making me having to deal with combat.

GlyphGryph posted:

They are, you just have to pick the government type that allows slavery. At least that is how it worked last time I played spiritualist.

Edit: Looks like that was changed, that sucks. Especially since the description basically says everyone in the state is a slave still. Weird.

Rather than using the console just mod the ethos, imo. I can throw up a quick mod for you tonight that does that if you want
Thanks, but I can just restart; it's relatively early in the game. Thank you for offering though!

(also finish Liberal LP plz)

Kitchner posted:

Because spiritualist militaristic which means you're a fanatic of one of them and less so of the other. Meaning you're a race of warriors who have religion form a big part of your life, or youre a race of monks who also train in warfare a lot.

If you wanted to be an Imperium of Man style race from 40K, best combo is Spiritualist, Militarist, Xenophobe but even then the Imperium in 40k has no qualms about human slavery so you could say Spiritualist, Collectivist, Xenophobe, but then you can't access full bombardment and some of the militaristic tech like combat arenas.

Ultimately the limitation to 3 points is mainly for game play reasons, so you need to play around it.
I think it's pretty dumb you can't get more ethics points in game, but I was pretty certain that militarist dictatorship would give me slavery because the ethos description suggests everyone gets slavery, some ethos just hate them more.

The Wrath of God was meant more to be a group of human settlers that have a hosed up colonization on a desert planet and decide that it's time to make the galaxy realize the truth of a vengeful god. I was listening to a Rebel Galaxy playlist with this to get me in the right mood.

Except in game there's a buncha restrictions. Sigh, and purging takes way too long for some baffling reason, same as terraforming. (and there's no techs/options for doing it quicker. Why can't I just have my troops move from house to house and kill them, simulated by me actually having to use my armies and them fighting back? Why does it take decades all the time for terraforming?) Why do I have to wait so much in this game? Why am I forbidden so much instead of just having me suffering for my choices like in CK2? Let me kill my own people, let me terraform a planet full of people and so on.

Kitchner posted:

Yeah there's a bunch of mods that do that sort of stuff, it's "easy" to change (as in for people who know how to mod it's easy, I know nothing).

I contributed to the Warhammer 40K mod on there, mostly as an ideas/design guy because I knew nothing about coding, but I kept pushing them to realise actually you can already represent most of the 40K races with minor tweaks. Like the Imperium is like a Fanatic Collectivist, Fanatic Xenophobic, Fanatic Spiritualist, Militaristic empire, with humans having Quick Learning and Nomadic. Then each of the Space Marine chapters would be a vassal with one planet, who are Fanatic Spiritualist, Fanatic Militarist, Fanatic Xenophobes with Strong, Enduring, and Talented (not sure how to make Space Marines "worse" to play as than the Imperium , but easily tweaked). The Adeptus Mechanicus would also be a vassal, with forge worlds dotted around that produce poo poo tons of minerals.

Then you just tweak their diplomacy so they basically all like each other to varying degrees and that's the Imperium.

The Tau would be like Fanatic Collectivist, Fanatic Materialists, the Eldar would be Fallen Empires.

The base system is actually quite flexible with a few tweaks.

Problem was I think the dude running it had a hard time saying no to people and then the moment actual work needed to be done no one was interested. The art conversion pack that exists now was my idea, saying get something out on day 1, even if it's just "We made all the races and used all the artwork" and it'll be THE 40K mod. I don't think it's compatible with the latest version though.
Humans in 40K are genetically modified to be less psionic and less divergent by the Emperor, so ya shoulda added that.

SpaceParrot
Jul 18, 2006

Boonbox posted:

Now that eating sentients is going to be a thing, and food is going to be a global resource, I'm just hoping that we can now trade food with other empires. Then my first 1.5 playthrough is going to consist of finding some racist space parrots, and opening an intergalactic chain of fast food racist-space-parrot-burger restaurants.

Stellaris: one small snack for man, one giant feast for mankind.

Really not into this plan

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with getting served on a silver platter? :v:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

where does stellaris stand re: the restaurant at the end of the universe's dish of the day

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I am ok with it so long as I can have a plantoid salad

You know, I'd like it if there were special personalities for complex start aliens that have changed ethos: Regretful Imperialists that have a bunch of vassals they've let go under their control; Scorned Pacifists where you have an empire currently enslaving/purging their vassals that they're integrating after they betrayed them; Born Again Empire, where you have materialists that have found God/s or their counterpart, Faithless Consumerists where they've lost their faith and are desperately trying to fill the void with science and stuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Humans in 40K are genetically modified to be less psionic and less divergent by the Emperor, so ya shoulda added that.

I mean without getting into a huge argument about 40K lore in the Stellaris thread, I have my own Imperium custom race was when I want to run around killing aliens, and I used to have enduring and conformist, but then I realised humans aren't genetically inclined to be conformists, it's the Imperial society that brainwashes and controlling them. I don't think I've ever read the Emperor mutated the entire human race, considering that plenty of the humans that formed the Imperium were lost colonies from well before the Emperor was in charge of humanity.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ordering a glass of milk is going to be a risky game in Stellaris

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kitchner posted:

I mean without getting into a huge argument about 40K lore in the Stellaris thread, I have my own Imperium custom race was when I want to run around killing aliens, and I used to have enduring and conformist, but then I realised humans aren't genetically inclined to be conformists, it's the Imperial society that brainwashes and controlling them. I don't think I've ever read the Emperor mutated the entire human race, considering that plenty of the humans that formed the Imperium were lost colonies from well before the Emperor was in charge of humanity.
It was in some of the supplementary material books; its honestly not a huge thing and mostly just felt like a justification why the humans we see in 40K are still, you know, humans and not something else. It was also what stops them from being psychic monstrosities. The ethical stuff yeah is all the Imperium; seeing as gue'la are a thing~

I wish my leaders had actual events happening to them. About the only thing that ever happens with them is at some point an admiral gets the logistics trait. Why the heck are these dudes not getting new traits? Losing old ones? I guess this is more the EUIV heritage than the CK2 one and I think the game woulda been better for having followed the latter more.

And no ruler events either; democracies should have party politics, they should have scandals and poo poo, theocracies doctrinal arguements settled by the ruler, military dictatorships their different factions arguing about how to murder people or whatever.

edit:

why can I not do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbkF-15ObM

edit edit: I wish I could cloak my science ship, as the specimen collection quest now needs me to enter a system with the ether drake

Any tricks for taking them out early? The game definitely doesn't seem to have any support for any sorta clever tricks around things, so I'm guessing not

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 30, 2017

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

LordMune posted:

What would differentiate an emergency relocation and regular player-driven relocation? Because that is a thing you can do if your policies allow, and if they don't, well, they don't.

EDIT: The low habitability does sound like a potential bug though. Will investigate when I'm back at the office.

Dunno if it'd be possible to set it up, but I was hoping for a single use relocation for a fairly hefty amount of influence if you don't have the relevant policies - pretty much literally the government going 'oh hell, we need to get these people somewhere safe before they liquify'. Generally I've seen the problem happen with the Tomb World Vault event where it can spawn a handful of new pops, so maybe add it in to the end of that event as an option? The other time is with the nomads and the artisan troupe - if you buy the big tour special from a troupe they have a chance of settling some pops on your worlds, and the nomads can sometimes settle in your space as well, and they never seem to be suited for the world they settle on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Ordering a glass of milk is going to be a risky game in Stellaris

I only drink sapient-free milk.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

King Doom posted:

Dunno if it'd be possible to set it up, but I was hoping for a single use relocation for a fairly hefty amount of influence if you don't have the relevant policies - pretty much literally the government going 'oh hell, we need to get these people somewhere safe before they liquify'. Generally I've seen the problem happen with the Tomb World Vault event where it can spawn a handful of new pops, so maybe add it in to the end of that event as an option? The other time is with the nomads and the artisan troupe - if you buy the big tour special from a troupe they have a chance of settling some pops on your worlds, and the nomads can sometimes settle in your space as well, and they never seem to be suited for the world they settle on.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of letting the player do things they've explicitly opted out of being able to do because reasons, but implementing anything like that would be Wiz' call anyway.

That's assuming things work as intended, however. I had a look at the instances you mentioned, and they were mostly not fully working as intended. A lot of script from a few implementation paradigm shifts ago. The events should all behave better in 1.5 Banks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

Personally I'm not a huge fan of letting the player do things they've explicitly opted out of being able to do because reasons, but implementing anything like that would be Wiz' call anyway.

That's assuming things work as intended, however. I had a look at the instances you mentioned, and they were mostly not fully working as intended. A lot of script from a few implementation paradigm shifts ago. The events should all behave better in 1.5 Banks.

It seems like there's a lot of bugs with events in Stellaris, have you done a full overhaul or can we expect a bunch of weird ones to remain? The precursor questlines have all been broken forever.

Also for 1.5 have you done anything with the drone/crystal policies? The drone bounty one is especially dumb and an obvious layover from a very early iteration.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/826004080795451392

What is it? What does it do? gently caress if I know but it looks awesome and I want one.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

There's always going to be some jank in Stellaris due to a multitude of factors that would each, in isolation, make it impossible to eliminate unintended behavior to the degree that I would like. Everything from available manhours to wrangling a system meant for [is it the 15th century and are you fighting france y/n] in a randomized galaxy...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Enigmatic Fortress. Might get some stronger star bases?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Looks like the Enigmatic Fortress. Might get some stronger star bases?

The style reminds me a bit of this weird playable AI-shipset mod. Someone made an entire group of robot races, including a shipset. With the exception of the missing neon-colors, this looks a lot like a better version. So maybe playable AI?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordMune posted:

There's always going to be some jank in Stellaris due to a multitude of factors that would each, in isolation, make it impossible to eliminate unintended behavior to the degree that I would like. Everything from available manhours to wrangling a system meant for [is it the 15th century and are you fighting france y/n] in a randomized galaxy...

I'm impressed the game works at all - and thankful. It's been incredibly soothing for me lately, and I'm very happy to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I really hope it's a massive orbital fortress. I really want to be able to build one that can stop a late game fleet longer than 2 seconds.

Demiurge4 posted:

I only drink sapient-free milk.

Only the finest Cambodian for me, sir.

• Locked thread