Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how, 50 percent of the league war is about religion, and the other half is like political considerations. "Oh, France is Catholic? I guess I'm Protestant now!" Say the Ottomans. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I love how, 50 percent of the league war is about religion, and the other half is like political considerations. "Oh, France is Catholic? I guess I'm Protestant now!" Say the Ottomans. :allears:

I mean that's pretty much what happened in the actual Thirty Years War (except they both fought against the Catholic League despite the French being Catholic).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TorakFade posted:

So in Soviet Russia it's 1665 and I am the first great power by like 400 development but I am 3 techs behind due to institutions. I was minding my own business, stealing some horde land to pass the time and preparing to pounce on the Ottomans as soon as they looked weak when I get a popup :

Spain's ruler died without an heir and France is taking over. No, sorry, no way. So rather than backing down and letting them win the game I opted to intervene since I have a shitton more armies than they do...

Only to discover that I can't get to france due to the rest of Europe not allowing me through their lands.

So what can I do now?

I have the answer to my own question: get pummeled by france Spain Ottomans Sweden Cologne and more losing like 50 years of conquest and killing my desire to continue

Thanks france for another game ruined

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Baron Corbyn posted:

You might as well wait it out, because sometimes the Evangelical Union won't declare and if that happens the Catholics win by default.

Neat, hopefully I can get on with reforms and life from then on it. If the Catholics fully win do I get the enforce religion button finally?

algebra testes posted:

Yeah, Catholic France hates me so it is actually putting aside its hate for Protestant England and the Muslim Ottomans to ally with them for tiny rear end Mainz.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chump Farts posted:

Neat, hopefully I can get on with reforms and life from then on it. If the Catholics fully win do I get the enforce religion button finally?

Yeah, once there's an official religion that becomes available

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

If they do declare, since they have to, is it a full defensive war? If Muscovy is considered along with the league then they may not declare at all. I may even go (further) over my diplo limit if that is the case.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the best way of dealing with the Ottomans as a European power, really? "Beat them up in the first few years or you're screwed"? "Try to ignore them"?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

What's the best way of dealing with the Ottomans as a European power, really? "Beat them up in the first few years or you're screwed"? "Try to ignore them"?

If you're anywhere close to them as Poland or Hungry, Austria, anywhere in Italy, the pro strat is to vassalize (or annex, but I prefer to vassalize because they have cores to reclaim) Byzantium right out of the gate.

If that's not an option it depends on your goals, but if you're moving in that direction at all it's easiest to beat them early.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

Get bigger than them/get allies/get better troops and win even badly outnumbered/all of the above

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ottomans (much like Russia) is also a case of once you win that first all-important war you really have to kick them as hard as you can as soon as the truce ends. You don't want to let them build back up too much.

But yeah, the Ottomans are horrifying because they always take Offensive and Quantity on top of their ridiculous national ideas and they make tons of money.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

Ottomans (much like Russia) is also a case of once you win that first all-important war you really have to kick them as hard as you can as soon as the truce ends. You don't want to let them build back up too much.

But yeah, the Ottomans are horrifying because they always take Offensive and Quantity on top of their ridiculous national ideas and they make tons of money.

They also have a bunch of juicy cores to reconquer, so not only are they strong off the hop, in the first twenty years they get that much stronger.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

QuarkJets posted:

Economic provides a +0.1 yearly inflation reduction. It costs 75 admin power to reduce inflation by 2. That's equivalent to saving less than 4 admin per year

The Administrative core cost reduction is 25%. Coring cost is 10 admin per point of development. If you conquered only one 1/1/1 province each year, you'd save over 7 admin per year.

I think your post would be accurate if you were doing something like solely vassal feeding or just not conquering anyone at all

Someone going for an Economic strat would probably pick up Influence to do more diplo annexing than straight up coring, but I see your point. I still think the other ideas in Economic makes it compete with Admin pretty well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chump Farts posted:

gently caress the Ottomans thinking they have business in the Protestant League. It won't be easy with their 173 forcelimit, but I think our league can take them. Should I wait for the Protestants to declare, or can I declare on any member to kick it off? I'm making decent IA, but it won't let me spend it. I want to get this over with to try and keep reforming.

Catholics can't star the League War, only the Protestant League leader can declare it. If you're in the Catholic League you have to just wait until they declare on you or the ~20 year timer runs out and you win by default.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
So im in the mood for a kongo game, anyone got any advice? exploration first I guess, and then? religious for the cb?
Also should I seed feudalism in my capital or what is the go to here? Im guessing I have to seed every institution?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Exploration first is mandatory, you want to grab Gold Coast and as much of the coast as possible. I was still colonizing Africa in the late 18th century. You'll eventually want to make the Ivory Coast node your primary trade node. Don't take Expansion, it's overkill.

I would strongly suggest Administrative for your second idea set, because of Adaptability. You're conquering something like 442 provinces. Assuming you are going for the achievement. If not, then ignore that. What sucks (for me it did, at least) is that I couldn't really take advantage of the mercenary ideas because Africa is too poor of a continent to afford mercs.

Religious would not be a bad choice though, especially if you switched to Catholic when the Portuguese arrive. Everyone except Spain and Portugal you'll have a CB on, in time.

As for seeding, yeah, you're going to have to do it. Seed your capital right away (or after the first military tech you can get to help you conquer the Congo region) and then use your nearby grassland provinces to seed new institutions. After the first 3 or 4, you can start getting them naturally, like with factories or universities. I think with Global Trade, you can get away with your coastal centers of trade + marketplaces. You might have to help a province out so you don't lag too far behind.

In my game France took only the Grain Coast and Sao Tome and they hated me for it, and Spain took a good third of West Africa. They will declare war eventually, you'll have to hope they were stupid and not transport troops. Once war is declared secure the coast, watch for any transports like a hawk, and peace out when you can, while taking a province or two until you're ready to fight them on your terms.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 29, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've hit a bit of a snag. Since Muscovy is where they belong there's no one to colonize Siberia. Until the Iberians do I suppose, but even for them it'll take some time to reach the Urals from the east.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Also, friends, if anyone has a recommendation for an achievement to go for next, please suggest away! http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatass9000/stats/appid/236850/achievements . I just did African Power and wouldn't mind something a little less stressful.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks Node!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Also, friends, if anyone has a recommendation for an achievement to go for next, please suggest away! http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatass9000/stats/appid/236850/achievements . I just did African Power and wouldn't mind something a little less stressful.

glancing through that here are a few I've done and can recommend that aren't super grindy or difficult:

The Iron Price
The Spice Must Flow
On the Edge of Madness + Sunset Invasion
The White Elephant
The Bohemians (note you can't tag switch and still get this, you can easily culture swap and form Prussia eventually though)
The Uncommonwealth
The Burgundian Conquest
Mare Nostrum isn't too bad and you can do it in combination with some of the above
Choson One
Consulate of the Sea (Aragon is imo a stronger start than Castile for forming Spain)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for the suggestions, but

Pellisworth posted:

On the Edge of Madness + Sunset Invasion

NO. The others I'll think about. Is Baa Baa Black Sheep tough?

Zombiepop posted:

Thanks Node!

You might be able to put yourself in a position better than me if you colonized inward after you've secured the coast, so you can get that sweet Mutapan Gold. I did that way too late.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ba Ba Black Sheep is as tough as it is to beat the Ottos as QQ. Once they're pacified you just jack all of Timurids' and Ottoman's wool and it should be enough to put you over the top with just Persia/Anatolia/Levant areas

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Bohemia and Aragon are super strong starts that I don't see a lot of players doing. Aragon is wealthier and in a better position for early game expansion than Castile, and can still get the Iberian Wedding and form Spain.

Bohemia starts as an elector with a gold mine and no ruler, so you RM Austria, get a Habsburg, then enforce PUs on Hungary and Austria. It's trivial to conquer and develop some Saxon culture provinces, culture swap, then form Prussia. It's imo the strongest start for forming Prussia right now.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

For something more laid back I would go:

One Night in Paris + Industrial Revolution + Voting Streak

I like banging off multiple achievements. Feels good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

burgundian conquest, for odin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Exploration first is mandatory, you want to grab Gold Coast and as much of the coast as possible. I was still colonizing Africa in the late 18th century. You'll eventually want to make the Ivory Coast node your primary trade node. Don't take Expansion, it's overkill.

I would strongly suggest Administrative for your second idea set, because of Adaptability. You're conquering something like 442 provinces. Assuming you are going for the achievement. If not, then ignore that. What sucks (for me it did, at least) is that I couldn't really take advantage of the mercenary ideas because Africa is too poor of a continent to afford mercs.

Could going for the gold provinces in Zanzibar and Ethiopia early possibly change that? As Ethiopia I run my army with 25% merc infantry, and that's before conquering Zanzibar (but after developing the 2 gold mines that you basically start with)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ba Ba Black Sheep is as tough as it is to beat the Ottos as QQ. Once they're pacified you just jack all of Timurids' and Ottoman's wool and it should be enough to put you over the top with just Persia/Anatolia/Levant areas

Baa Baa Black Sheep is actually insanely easy. You just need to restart until AQ isn't allied with Timurids, eat them, eat whatever Anatolian Beyliks you can reach that aren't allied with the Mamluks and then just sit there and dump development into the Wool producing provinces you own and ta-da achievement done. Was really hoping for one where you sit down and slug it out with the Ottomans but nope, you'll have to do QQ -> Persia for that one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Baa Baa Black Sheep is actually insanely easy. You just need to restart until AQ isn't allied with Timurids, eat them, eat whatever Anatolian Beyliks you can reach that aren't allied with the Mamluks and then just sit there and dump development into the Wool producing provinces you own and ta-da achievement done. Was really hoping for one where you sit down and slug it out with the Ottomans but nope, you'll have to do QQ -> Persia for that one.

How the gently caress do you stay fiscally afloat? Its just the first 20 years, and the Ottomans just declared war on me over Trebizond. I have been on loans, draining money this entire time. I have 11 of them now I think.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Well, it's been a wild ride and way too much time out of my weekend, but all that is left to unite the empire is to hit the button. Austria really does work best PU'ing everything. I even got an extra one on Lithuania just from luck.

I kind of want it to be done, but also want to vassal swarm for two hundred years and see if I can take over Europe and Asia.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Node posted:

you want to grab Gold Coast and as much of the coast as possible. I was still colonizing Africa in the late 18th century. You'll eventually want to make the Ivory Coast node your primary trade node.

This obviously worked for you, but I think it's more optimal to make Zanzibar (or Cape once you conquer the Gold Coast) your home trade node, as the Euros upstream will pull a lot of trade power out even if you own every province. Also, going for the Gold Coast first got me killed in a couple of my first attempts when Spain decided they wanted the territory long before I was big enough to fight them. My suggestion would be to take Exploration first and lock down the Cape, while eating Mutapa and Kilwa for the gold mines and Zanzibar node. Although if you're going for Hoarder too you will want to war a Fetishist in West Africa early before the Sunnis eat them. I'd probably just get the cults and peace out though.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 30, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

How the gently caress do you stay fiscally afloat? Its just the first 20 years, and the Ottomans just declared war on me over Trebizond. I have been on loans, draining money this entire time. I have 11 of them now I think.

So with Hordes, your income is garbage and QQ isn't really capable of having a full force limit army.

My quick recommendations for starting QQ are that your standing army is better than almost everyone around you aside from the truly huge countries (Ottomans, Timurids, Mamluks). Your religious unity is garbage so you'll have to deal with rebels constantly. Manpower is the hardest resource to get so you should avoid having to deal with big rebels like the enormous stack of Iraqi rebels that will pop up (raise autonomy on them and eat the money hit) and also considering releasing Armenia as a vassal (wrong culture and wrong religion) which should stabilize things. Bum rush Aq Qoyunlu if possible to get access to the various Anatolian minors before the Ottomans can. If you can't, then the game gets a lot harder.

Also raze every province you grab before you core them, that should keep you going with monarch points and a bit of pocket change. You'll basically be constantly in debt so declare war on any small nations you can and take all their cash when annexing them. Economic ideas help a lot here for the monthly autonomy reduction + inflation + interest reductions and Horde ideas let you core for cheap (albeit later on).

Shirvan and Tabarestan are good early targets because they're both Shia and Iranian. Georgia can be fed to Armenia until you sort out your religion situation. The Arabian peninsula is easy to conquer but mostly just garbage and full of Sunnis that will hate you. Your biggest opportunity after grabbing the early land around you is wait for Timurids to start falling apart and grab as much land as you can. If Persia pops out even better cause it takes forever for them to get a military going etc.

It's also possible to go for an early Ottoman beat down if you can get an ally somewhere and declare on them when they're going after someone like Albania or Byzantium. Horde cavalry do not mess around.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
After a few hours as kongo I really wish there was some way to deal with european colonies in the 1500s.
I cant declare war since I havent found Spain yet...
Maybe a "raid" mechanic or something.

*Press a button to go into raid mode
*Go into colony, burn down colony
*Get loot and a chance for the colonist to go home.
* Or a chance for the enemy nation to find out it was you and get a opinion hit/cb.
*Make it go away after a certain number of institutions has been embraced.
*Wrap it all together with some nice events.
=Hopefully less europeans in africa during the early years, and a way for african nations to make cash/manpower/mana???

This idea probably has some major flaw I didnt think of.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

Exploration first is mandatory, you want to grab Gold Coast and as much of the coast as possible. I was still colonizing Africa in the late 18th century. You'll eventually want to make the Ivory Coast node your primary trade node.
I have no idea why you would do this. All the trade power the Euros have in English Channel, Bordeaux, Seville, and Carribean will drain the node dry.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have no idea why you would do this. All the trade power the Euros have in English Channel, Bordeaux, Seville, and Carribean will drain the node dry.

You overpower them right back with trade ships. You'll still be getting 150 duc/mo from trade alone near the end of the game. I would definitely want to be in the Ivory Coast node, you get delicious chunks of that New World income. You don't want to do it very early of course, stay in Kongo.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 30, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

You overpower them right back with trade ships. You'll still be getting 150 duc/mo near the end of the game. You don't want to do it very early of course, stay in Kongo.

It's almost certainly better to collect one spot upstream, and then you can instead put those same ships in the gulf of aden/goa/wherever you need them to ensure all that sweet trade value flows all the way to you and you alone.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Collect in both spots is usually the right answer. Home node in Ivory coast, also collect in Cape since you'll have 100% Trade Power and so the power penalty doesn't matter.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

This obviously worked for you, but I think it's more optimal to make Zanzibar (or Cape once you conquer the Gold Coast) your home trade node, as the Euros upstream will pull a lot of trade power out even if you own every province. Also, going for the Gold Coast first got me killed in a couple of my first attempts when Spain decided they wanted the territory long before I was big enough to fight them. My suggestion would be to take Exploration first and lock down the Cape, while eating Mutapa and Kilwa for the gold mines and Zanzibar node. Although if you're going for Hoarder too you will want to war a Fetishist in West Africa early before the Sunnis eat them. I'd probably just get the cults and peace out though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You put your home node in Ivory, and use a merchant to collect in cape. This really only works if you have extra merchants though

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm coming close to finishing off France in my Burgundy game and trying to decide whether I want to become France as soon as I can, or stay Burgundy until I can form the Netherlands. Would it be totally boneheaded to form the Netherlands instead of France? French ideas are obviously better, and all of the free claims would be great, but it's tough to turn down the Dutch Republic government. I also like the Netherlands map color much better. :shrug:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

I'm coming close to finishing off France in my Burgundy game and trying to decide whether I want to become France as soon as I can, or stay Burgundy until I can form the Netherlands. Would it be totally boneheaded to form the Netherlands instead of France? French ideas are obviously better, and all of the free claims would be great, but it's tough to turn down the Dutch Republic government. I also like the Netherlands map color much better. :shrug:

Once you control France and the Low Countries, you can do whatever the hell you want.

If you you're on ironman and don't have the Burgunidan Conquest achievement, then go for that before forming anything else though (also the 1000 dev duchy achievement)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
..do both? Turn France for now and then shift your capital to the Lower Lands after 1550 and culture shift when the revolts start becoming possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sage Grimm posted:

..do both? Turn France for now and then shift your capital to the Lower Lands after 1550 and culture shift when the revolts start becoming possible.

How would this work? I never really gently caress with culture shifting so I'm not super familiar with this mechanic. If I pull this off would I be able to get French ideas and Dutch Republic?

• Locked thread