Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

dsa could really use some forums attached to its main website to facilitate collaboration, organization, rallies etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I was the only person repping DSA at the Baltimore protest today, as far as I saw. I got interviewed by some media so I hope that they got a good shot of my DSA button and/or the #dsa on my poster. :unsmith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just an FYI for people like me who are straight, white, and male, my older sister directed me to sign up for a local Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ) group.

SURJ is an anti-racism organization that helps the privileged use their access to help those that have no privilege and they do it in a collaborative manner with other groups.

See if your area has one. Seattle has like five.

E: sorry if this is random and irrelevant to the discussion. I'm just sort of losing it and trying to stop feeling like human trash.

This isn't random. Stopping hatred, stopping injustice, all of this important and relevant. I've never heard of SURJ but I'll look to see if there are any in rural NY.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SURJ is great. They usually get plugged into what other groups and campaigns are going on in a city and coordinate support rather than just redundantly building up their own poo poo. Mine at least sends out action items so I just write and call about things, which is great because I hate having to talk to people or go to meetings.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I def signed up for text alerts.

I have energy that just needs to be appropriately directed.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Emergency stay in EDNY was just granted - thanks to the ACLU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just an FYI for people like me who are straight, white, and male, my older sister directed me to sign up for a local Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ) group.

SURJ is an anti-racism organization that helps the privileged use their access to help those that have no privilege and they do it in a collaborative manner with other groups.

See if your area has one. Seattle has like five.

E: sorry if this is random and irrelevant to the discussion. I'm just sort of losing it and trying to stop feeling like human trash.

Sorry, could you link to some of the Seattle ones? I'm on my phone for awhile and having some trouble finding them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ugh, I've been feeling so useless as a poor rural leftist lately. I don't have the money for train tickets/gas to get to the city for protests or anything but scattered small donations throughout the year, I live in a heavily red area that didn't even have a Dem candidate for the House this year, there's no real local political organizations of any note besides county Rep/Dem branches, etc. It feels like all I can really do is call out shitheads when I see them and sign useless petitions. I have been offering what help I can in organizing a state level chapter of SPUSA for at large members, but I'm the only member in my area. What have other rural goons been doing?

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ugh, I've been feeling so useless as a poor rural leftist lately. I don't have the money for train tickets/gas to get to the city for protests or anything but scattered small donations throughout the year, I live in a heavily red area that didn't even have a Dem candidate for the House this year, there's no real local political organizations of any note besides county Rep/Dem branches, etc. It feels like all I can really do is call out shitheads when I see them and sign useless petitions. I have been offering what help I can in organizing a state level chapter of SPUSA for at large members, but I'm the only member in my area. What have other rural goons been doing?

I live in Kansas, where anyone that thinks we should treat non-white humans decently and anyone that believes in science / facts is a dirty liberal that should be stoned. I am just starting to get involved with things since this Trump ordeal truly frightens me. I am going to start calling my state representatives regularly thanks to a goon who posted the link below. I also started making small recurring donations to the ACLU, and I am searching for another 1-2 organizations. Based on what I have learned recently, it sounds like CALLING your state reps and showing up to town hall type meetings voicing your concerns is actually very effective.

This guide was linked in another thread, and it's pretty interesting:
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/

For phone calls, this is awesome if you haven't checked it out"
https://5calls.org/

I don't know if this helps you or not, I'm very new to this and it's all I have to offer right now ;)

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Annual Prophet posted:

dsa could really use some forums attached to its main website to facilitate collaboration, organization, rallies etc.

There's a slack set up for DSA, which is pretty good, but I do think you're right about needing something a little less, uhhh, millenial.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stryguy posted:

I live in Kansas, where anyone that thinks we should treat non-white humans decently and anyone that believes in science / facts is a dirty liberal that should be stoned. I am just starting to get involved with things since this Trump ordeal truly frightens me. I am going to start calling my state representatives regularly thanks to a goon who posted the link below. I also started making small recurring donations to the ACLU, and I am searching for another 1-2 organizations. Based on what I have learned recently, it sounds like CALLING your state reps and showing up to town hall type meetings voicing your concerns is actually very effective.

I don't know if this helps you or not, I'm very new to this and it's all I have to offer right now ;)

If I may be a shill for a moment, the SPLC is one of the best, and you can check on the integrity of charities with this navigator.

I'm another rural lefty (in NY's red territory), with bonus social anxiety, so I can't necessarily go to meetings but I will be making phone calls and donating when I can. Also, apparently sending letters also helps, so we need to look into that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GodFish posted:

Sorry, could you link to some of the Seattle ones? I'm on my phone for awhile and having some trouble finding them.

https://www.carw.org

http://toolsforchange.org

https://m.facebook.com/groups/697221816987837/

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

How safe would it be for a white, older Muslim on a green card who doesn't speak English to go to an airport protest tomorrow? A friend of mine who is a citizen wants to take her mom along.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Thanks for these!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BgRdMchne posted:

How safe would it be for a white, older Muslim on a green card who doesn't speak English to go to an airport protest tomorrow? A friend of mine who is a citizen wants to take her mom along.

They're not arresting people afaik just for protesting, just the ones trying to fly in.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Started the day with the DNC Chair forum thing with all the chair and vice-chair candidates, ended with protest at IAH. It's so crazy, when the forum ended there were maybe just 5-10 people in our group throwing around the idea of possibly going to the airport to do something, but by the time I arrived there were maybe over 100 people. Three DNC Chair candidates were there (including Perez whom I'm pretty sure our organizers hate so lol) and one vice-chair candidate who was my favorite with the forum answers during her session. There was also a family that had been detained that we got to see leave the airport which was really moving although we crowded them a bit too much. I've only been to 3 protests so far but this was the best one, lots of people came up to share their stories and to inspire and support each other, I cried like twice. Also heard a bunch of people signed up so now our DSA meetings are going to be moved somewhere bigger. I think this whole thing has taught me not to underestimate organizational power in the age of the internet. Did anyone go to the protest at JFK? That thing looked huge.

Echoing that you should donate to ACLU, these guys are our heroes, but this isn't their last battle.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any Atlanta goons going to the 1/29 4:00pm protest at Hartsfeild-Jackson airport.

https://www.facebook.com/events/370576413312630/?ti=ia

gohmak fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 29, 2017

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I went to the D66 congress yesterday, hinted about coalitioning towards the left if/when they get in the parliament, which other attendees that me and my friend spoke to seemed to universally react positively to but attendance went from 300 people last time to 1500 this year so the chances of this sentiment reaching the upper management is not that great but the idea is there and the next (local) event is in two weeks where there'll be talk about creating a local level party to join next year's municipal elections with in my home town that I'll be doing the same at.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

I went to the D66 congress yesterday, hinted about coalitioning towards the left if/when they get in the parliament, which other attendees that me and my friend spoke to seemed to universally react positively to but attendance went from 300 people last time to 1500 this year so the chances of this sentiment reaching the upper management is not that great but the idea is there and the next (local) event is in two weeks where there'll be talk about creating a local level party to join next year's municipal elections with in my home town that I'll be doing the same at.

Nice :)

Btw, there's a counter-demonstration against PEGIDA in Utrecht next week, if you're in the neighbourhood:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1792249741026308/

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

unbutthurtable posted:

There's a slack set up for DSA, which is pretty good, but I do think you're right about needing something a little less, uhhh, millenial.

I still haven't gotten an invite to the slack :smith:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Also, for anyone near Baltimore/BWI, we're welcoming refugees & immigrants at 5pm today https://twitter.com/BmoreBloc/status/825696099998523392

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Stryguy posted:

That site just keeps giving me Dick Durbin to call, and while he's not perfect, I don't think we have to worry about him supporting most of Trump's worst bullshit. I'm not sure how effective calling my rep would be since he runs unopposed. There's not really much you can threaten to do that would make him worry about re-election chances that isn't also blatantly illegal and stupid like threats of violence.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Annual Prophet posted:

that's what the slack is for, comrade :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

I still haven't gotten an invite to the slack :smith:

someone prodded larry on friday about accepting invites, they were distracted for a bit. do the details you gave on the invite form match your DSA membership details (name, email, phone etc)? we're trying not to overwhelm the social media team cause they're scattered rn with everything going on but i'll see if they need more help triaging invite requests

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That site just keeps giving me Dick Durbin to call, and while he's not perfect, I don't think we have to worry about him supporting most of Trump's worst bullshit. I'm not sure how effective calling my rep would be since he runs unopposed. There's not really much you can threaten to do that would make him worry about re-election chances that isn't also blatantly illegal and stupid like threats of violence.

Flooding an unopposed rep with calls makes a gigantic difference. The last thing a "safe district" rep wants to deal with is actually having to campaign, and if they think the winds are blowing toward a primary or a PAC-funded challenge, they'll freak the gently caress out immediately. Remember, the right eats their own, and if the party thinks a rep can't handle a district, they will be replaced.

Even if they aren't thinking about an election challenge, when you call their office you're speaking to the same staff they speak to and spend time with every day. If that staff is spending all day every day answering phone calls about the muslim ban or healthcare, you bet they're going to hear about it.

Organize and create constant, daily pressure. Never think your calls don't matter.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

someone prodded larry on friday about accepting invites, they were distracted for a bit. do the details you gave on the invite form match your DSA membership details (name, email, phone etc)? we're trying not to overwhelm the social media team cause they're scattered rn with everything going on but i'll see if they need more help triaging invite requests

I'm pretty sure it is. I don't want to overload the google doc, but should I resubmit just to be sure?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

remember if you don't have a trade-specific union open to you and you don't have the resources to organize one, you can join the iww

Just wanted to say thanks for this. The local union for HVAC related stuff in Orlando seems to be pretty pathetic for this kinda stuff.
Next step, joining the DSA.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

Nice :)

Btw, there's a counter-demonstration against PEGIDA in Utrecht next week, if you're in the neighbourhood:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1792249741026308/
Exact opposite of the neighbourhood I'm afraid, I'm from South Limburg and unemployed so getting all the way to Nieuwegein yesterday used up quite a lot of the getting places budget.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How in the gently caress am I going to get a DSA chapter started in Wyoming when I move back home this weekend and I'm not in Casper, Cheyenne, or Laramie?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Call your reps and senators as often as you can about issues that matter, and ask for a personal response to specific questions you ask. Look up something they've done that you like and say that even though you like [legislative action] and would like to support him/her in the next election, you're troubled that they haven't joined moderate conservatives in opposing Trump's Muslim ban because it's the wrong way to keep the nation safe. Ask a question that makes them seem like they're not taking care of their district and say that while you hate to do it, you'll join the next campaign against them if they don't take a strong position against Trump's overreach and meddling in the power of the legislature.

Several republican senators have criticized Trump on the grounds above, and while it's a lovely xenophobic position it is a challenge to the unique threat that Trump poses in making himself an autocrat.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Organize and create constant, daily pressure. Never think your calls don't matter.

if you will forgive a somewhat anachronistic expression, right on, Dr. Fishopolis! a lot of people i know aren't sitting down and taking it this time around: they're in the streets and on the phone, in mosques and donating, volunteering their time. it's encouraging, it's cathartic, it's the right thing to do, it's a goddamn moral imperative.

speaking of which, for those goons who happen to be attorneys, now is the time, if there ever was one, for pro bono. directly or indirectly, all of the people impacted by the eo on refugees, and the other actions taken or to be taken by the trump administration, and the people opposing them, like david cole over at aclu, can use your help. get in there and fight!

Eta

https://mobile.twitter.com/dnvolz/status/825854514947317761

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 30, 2017

radialright
May 19, 2004
PINKU BENTO BOXU ^_^;;

ate all the Oreos posted:

I legit did not know this and was stewing over tech nerds' collective inability to think about anyone other than themselves or organize like, at all, thanks!

If you're in a major city, you should drop into a Tech Solidarity meeting! See https://twitter.com/techsolidarity?lang=en. They're starting a (very nascent) tech collective action movement.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jie posted:

If you're in a major city, you should drop into a Tech Solidarity meeting! See https://twitter.com/techsolidarity?lang=en. They're starting a (very nascent) tech collective action movement.

was thinking about dropping in on a local 2600 meeting for (somewhat) similar reasons

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

yellowyams posted:

Started the day with the DNC Chair forum thing with all the chair and vice-chair candidates, ended with protest at IAH. It's so crazy, when the forum ended there were maybe just 5-10 people in our group throwing around the idea of possibly going to the airport to do something, but by the time I arrived there were maybe over 100 people. Three DNC Chair candidates were there (including Perez whom I'm pretty sure our organizers hate so lol) and one vice-chair candidate who was my favorite with the forum answers during her session. There was also a family that had been detained that we got to see leave the airport which was really moving although we crowded them a bit too much. I've only been to 3 protests so far but this was the best one, lots of people came up to share their stories and to inspire and support each other, I cried like twice. Also heard a bunch of people signed up so now our DSA meetings are going to be moved somewhere bigger. I think this whole thing has taught me not to underestimate organizational power in the age of the internet. Did anyone go to the protest at JFK? That thing looked huge.

Echoing that you should donate to ACLU, these guys are our heroes, but this isn't their last battle.

If your organizers hate Perez on a personal level they're being myopic; oppose him as chair if you like but he's a good guy who is a strong friend of labor, precisely the sort any effective socialist movement will need as allies.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Quorum posted:

If your organizers hate Perez on a personal level they're being myopic; oppose him as chair if you like but he's a good guy who is a strong friend of labor, precisely the sort any effective socialist movement will need as allies.

I meant as DNC chair choice, I have no idea how they feel about him on a personal level.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

I'm pretty sure it is. I don't want to overload the google doc, but should I resubmit just to be sure?

mmmaybe... i appreciate the concern about overloading the doc, though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

of the organizers i know they're definitely supporting Ellison over Perez but Perez gets points for showing up to the action amd honestly the dnc crew being there probably kept the cops at bay sat night.

also i voted for la riva in the presidential election so i dont have very developed opinions on most democrats anyway.

tonight was wild. id say between 1-1.5k people showed up but it didnt feel as good as last night. cops had everything too jammed up so the action was missing some of the defiant character it should have had.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

5calls got me to call my congresswoman and get tallied despite my phone nerves, but neither senator will connect to the number provided, which is annoying.

Ah well: to Dr. Fishopolis: thank you! That's a good website and I'm gonna call again tomorrow.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

StrixNebulosa posted:

5calls got me to call my congresswoman and get tallied despite my phone nerves, but neither senator will connect to the number provided, which is annoying.

Ah well: to Dr. Fishopolis: thank you! That's a good website and I'm gonna call again tomorrow.

Try the senators again, I think that error is indicative of high traffic. I got through to mine by waiting a few minutes and dialing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Every call I tried to make today was busy or voicemail, which is predictable considering what happened over the weekend. Don't be discouraged, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Locked thread