Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Peyton's improving better than Billie. Liv still sucks but she's working hard to get better.

They seriously need to go all-in on Daria though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Hope all my favorites lose tonight so they can be that much closer to the main roster

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I thought Takeover was really quite good. The tag match was gangbusters, the women's match did an amazing job of teasing Cross v Asuka one on one and made Peyton and Billie really effective as heels for denying the audience the match they wanted to see by double-dealing both of the "strong" women, and Roode vs Nakamura blew my expectations away, very awesome old school NWA style psychology which Bobby played to perfection and Shinsuke worked through without creating a clash of styles problem.

It was obviously a transitional show to set up the Mania takeover, but frankly I'm fine with that. I wanted NXT to return to that long form story telling and this signaled that they are to me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought Takeover was a thoroughly medium show.

Tye keeps getting jobbed to people for no reason. The tag match was alright considering AOP are still very green.
The fatal four-way was too short and I would've liked some sort of come-back spot for Nikki, preferably just her crawling towards the ring as Asuka wins. Just something to show her toughness. The main event never really clicked for me but the injury spot was well done.

I liked Almas-Roddy but that's about it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MrBling posted:

I thought Takeover was a thoroughly medium show.

Tye keeps getting jobbed to people for no reason. The tag match was alright considering AOP are still very green.
The fatal four-way was too short and I would've liked some sort of come-back spot for Nikki, preferably just her crawling towards the ring as Asuka wins. Just something to show her toughness. The main event never really clicked for me but the injury spot was well done.

I liked Almas-Roddy but that's about it.

Same.

The problem with NXT is it is basically becoming TNA under the WWE umbrella:

Former TNA champion is their champion
Former TNA champion wins opening match
Former TNA champion is a leader of the stable
The stable has little heat
The woman lack a lot
An Asian woman is the best worker just like Gail Kim was the best worker there
Tom and Percy are a less annoying Josh and Pope
Their biggest crowds come from PPVs, house shows draw disappointing numbers

rovert fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 29, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

rovert posted:

Same.

The woman lack a lot
Tom and Bryon are a less annoying Josh and Pope

This is a stretch.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tom Phillips is a billion times better than Josh loving Mathews

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Their Biggest crowds come from PPVs, also the biggest names tend to be in the main event, also many matches end in a pinfall or submission

Just like TNA.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NXT matches and storylines are predetermined, another similarity with TNA

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rovert posted:

Same.

The woman lack a lot
Tom and Bryon are a less annoying Josh and Pope

Um, really?

Like, there's reaching, there's reaching far, and then there's forgetting that Byron hasn't been doing NXT for months. Especially since 3 of those 8 are Eric loving Young and wrestling tends to have biggest crowds from PPVs.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Six months time you'll be repeating what I just said and thinking you came up with it.

Enjoy Eric Young's title reign: https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/825795164723638274

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Most wrestlers are either "faces" or "heels" in both NXT and TNA.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Look closely and you'll see that some workers are large, while others are not so large. I hope you're sitting down because this contrast was a hallmark of Total Nonstop Action wrestling.

Look at NXT. Now look at TNA. Notice any similarities? That's right. They're both taped. In the state of Florida. drat.

Now look at the NXT champion. Where's he from? Japan. Japanese people wrestle, and they win titles sometimes. Clearly they've won titles in NXT. But where else have they won titles? If you're thinking "Total Nonstop Action wrestling", then you comprehend the mess that NXT has created for itself.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Smackdown is also like tna in this way

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Roderick Strong used to work in TNA too. Oh poo poo!!!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

rovert posted:

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The NXT title does look too much like it should be an X-Division belt, and there have been a few too many "oh my god, it's [wrestler predominantly known for their work in TNA]! What's HE doing here?!", which itself is a very TNA-esque trope, but other than that, yeesh.

I'm scared to even begin unpacking the horror of likening Asuka to Gail Kim. Let's not imply that a Canadian-Korean and a Japanese lady are the same thing, please.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

pressedbunny posted:

The NXT title does look too much like it should be an X-Division belt, and there have been a few too many "oh my god, it's [wrestler predominantly known for their work in TNA]! What's HE doing here?!", which itself is a very TNA-esque trope, but other than that, yeesh.

I'm scared to even begin unpacking the horror of likening Asuka to Gail Kim. Let's not imply that a Canadian-Korean and a Japanese lady are the same thing, please.

Umm they are Asian aren't they????

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

pressedbunny posted:

Well, it is rovert, so that's not shocking.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

The_Rob posted:

Umm they are Asian aren't they????

Same win/loss record. Similar suffocating presence on their Divsions given how strongly they are booked.

But let's go back to discussing the hip, cool, vibrant brand with characters we are emotionally connected to. NXT is no way like a TNA tribute fed.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I heard NXT had a nanny , hosed up if true

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

rovert posted:

Same win/loss record. Similar suffocating presence on their Divsions given how strongly they are booked.

But let's go back to discussing the hip, cool, vibrant brand with characters we are emotionally connected to. NXT is no way like a TNA tribute fed.

HHH unlike Hogan, thought Bobby Roode was ready, brother.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

rovert posted:

I mean I kinda follow your logic to a degree but at the same time WWE would be remiss if they didn't scoop up the few seasoned TNA guys who know how to work TV. Plus, beyond the guys they've signed (and James Storm) are there really any other homegrown TNA talents they'd even consider bringing aboard at this point? Like, beyond Abyss I don't even think any exist. And lol @ Abyss scoring a WWE deal.

Also Roddy has way more association with ROH than he does TNA. Either way he still looks like he should be trying to pick up marshmallows with his buttcheeks as part of some freshman hell week instead of wrestling.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

If you have ever seen a TNA wrestler before in the WWE, period, please note that you only have 24 hours left to live.

Please forward this to 10 FRIENDS, and they must be your actual friends or else this post will know and you'll die. But anyway please forward this to 10 friends to have your life spared.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
And just look at the main roster. They're inducting a former TNA champion into their Hall of Fame. Is there no end to this hell?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rovert is right

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
lmao, they really put the title on Roode

well, I guess it makes sense that HHH wouldn't have a problem with Dime Store HHH being the champ of his vanity fed

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

rovert is right

The patented Rowdy Ringsports complete over reaction is testament to it.

There's a collection of similarities not just one. People call ROH a tribute fed with less reason and no one blinks an eye.

Grozz Nuy posted:

lmao, they really put the title on Roode

well, I guess it makes sense that HHH wouldn't have a problem with Dime Store HHH being the champ of his vanity fed

Both are Terry Taylor proteges.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rovert posted:

The patented Rowdy Ringsports complete over reaction is testament to it.

There's a collection of similarities not just one. People call ROH a tribute fed with less reason and no one blinks an eye.

Both are Terry Taylor proteges.

Lol ok Rovert.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rovert posted:

Uhhh Gail Kim was Canadian being Asian had nothing to do with anything

And beyond those comparisons the only ones that hold ground are the ones saying it looks like an ROH/TNA tribute show. The roster is getting so bloated with indy talent now than none of them feel special, especially guys like Roddy or TM61 who are just vanilla white guys who are good at wrestling.

NXT also lost their head writer, so every single TV taping feels like filler between Takeover events, and even now some Takeover events are starting to feel like filler between bigger Takeover events.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

NXT also lost their head writer, so every single TV taping feels like filler between Takeover events, and even now some Takeover events are starting to feel like filler between bigger Takeover events.

Yes, much like TNA before they got kicked off Spike, they probably should have a better written show with the talent they have. :tinfoil:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

can't help you this time, friend

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

eric young shouldn't be the centerpiece of that stable, or anything ever tho

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Last night's card:

Eric Young - TNA
Tye Dillinger - WWE
Andrade Cien Almas - CMLL, NJPW
Roderick Strong - ROH
Nikki Cross - ICW
Peyton Royce - some Australian fed, I dunno
Billie Kay - samesies
Asuka - various promotions
Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW
Bobby Roode - TNA

Wow, a whole two people out of the whole card are from TNA! Call up Bischoff and Jarrett, we'll have a Tits N rear end reunion tour next week!

E: Forgot AOP vs DIY, where Gargano has been in TNA a couple of times

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Last night's card:

Eric Young - TNA
Tye Dillinger - WWE
Roderick Strong - ROH
Nikki Cross - ICW
Billie Kay - samesies
Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW
Bobby Roode - TNA

Wow, a whole two people out of the whole card are from TNA! Call up Bischoff and Jarrett, we'll have a Tits N rear end reunion tour next week!

Dude give it six months.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Last night's card:

Eric Young - TNA
Tye Dillinger - WWE
Roderick Strong - ROH
Nikki Cross - ICW
Billie Kay - samesies
Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW
Bobby Roode - TNA

Don't forget that Strong was a regular in the early X-Division, that clearly makes him a TNA guy. Or even Tye Dillinger, who had a whopping 2 (dark) matches in TNA. Plus of course Shinsuke with his singular TNA Reaction match against Elix Skipper. Or Nikki Cross, who had a single match on British Boot Camp. Clearly they ALL are former TNA guys.

Also, I'm fairly certain that from DIY it was Ciampa who had a couple TNA matches, not Gargano.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The face Eric Young makes whenever he does his big yell in his entrance is really dumb looking and funny

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Young does look like a lieutenant in a Mad Max movie who dies in a funny way.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Last night's card:

Not really my point but waste your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Can we please change the thread title to TNA NXT Discussion & GDT?

I'm severely triggered by the current thread title.

• Locked thread