Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

WOOOORRRRTTTHHHH!!! :argh:

But seriously give him money.

god i wish "one creature takes up farming" was the real text on swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

It's a drat good thing I'm not on Twitter because unffffff I want like half of those.

I really want that StP. I might take a shot and come nowhere even close to it. Same for the guru lands. And the duals. And the Sol Ring.

.... and the Eldrazi.

Basically the only thing I don't want is the SoFI because I already have one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What a guy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

WOOOORRRRTTTHHHH!!! :argh:

But seriously give him money.

I like how each of those lots is increasing levels of "UHHHHHH THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do people know why Servo Schematic is so bizarrely expensive on MTGO? I was trying to build a silly monored budget version of Improvise and it comes out at sub-1TIX except for 0.9TIX for a playset of Servo Schematic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Do people know why Servo Schematic is so bizarrely expensive on MTGO? I was trying to build a silly monored budget version of Improvise and it comes out at sub-1TIX except for 0.9TIX for a playset of Servo Schematic.

It's 9 cents.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I really want that StP. I might take a shot and come nowhere even close to it. Same for the guru lands. And the duals. And the Sol Ring.

.... and the Eldrazi.

Basically the only thing I don't want is the SoFI because I already have one.

Honestly the sword might be the one I want most because I love old frame promos. Especially when foiled out, the old frame looks worlds better in foil than the new one.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Honestly the sword might be the one I want most because I love old frame promos. Especially when foiled out, the old frame looks worlds better in foil than the new one.

That's the reason it's the only card in Death and Taxes that will never be in another language (unless something strange happens in the format and I play one of the other swords again.) I really wish I'd gotten judge Crucibles and Hierarchs when they were cheaper.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Worth, you might have carried water for lovely corporate practices, but when it comes to things more important than nerd cardboard, you're ok. :unsmith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

It appears hearthstone made 400 million last year and the only thing surprising is that it appears to have only trumped mtgo by 20x.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

It appears hearthstone made 400 million last year and the only thing surprising is that it appears to have only trumped mtgo by 20x.

MTGO is suuuuch a cash sink, too. I'm surprised at that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sickening posted:

But that's, like, all of Hearthstone's revenue, right, besides merch and advertising on their events? I assume Magic makes most of its money through the paper side of things.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

But that's, like, all of Hearthstone's revenue, right, besides merch and advertising on their events? I assume Magic makes most of its money through the paper side of things.

Right, but MODO has the potential to earn way more than it does if it was just coded well. Magic is hugely popular, but the poo poo program drives a lot of revenue away, potentially even to Hearthstone.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

Unless MTGO is 5% of Magic's revenue, then this should be a sign that poo poo needs to change, and if MTGO makes such a little part of WotC's income then they have no excuse for being so lax over the past decade while MTGO rotted. It's not like they were just trying to protect a vital revenue stream, they're just passing their opportunity away.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

This temur eldrazi deck is awesome, I have almost every card in it too so I will have to try it out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Fair enough on MTGO points. It would be nice if Hearthstone lit a fire under them to get their poo poo together, but I don't have high hopes if only because of how often they seem to be caught with their pants down just in terms of game balance in Standard these days. There seems to be a fairly high level of stupid going on up there.

Or maybe they just aren't given enough funding to actually do stuff they know they should do. IDK.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Outside of client stability, what exactly are you guys expecting them to do with MTGO to make it compete with Hearthstone?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Outside of client stability, what exactly are you guys expecting them to do with MTGO to make it compete with Hearthstone?

I'm not sure there's anything they can do with it short of creating a version of online magic without a secondary market for cards.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Fair enough on MTGO points. It would be nice if Hearthstone lit a fire under them to get their poo poo together, but I don't have high hopes if only because of how often they seem to be caught with their pants down just in terms of game balance in Standard these days. There seems to be a fairly high level of stupid going on up there.

Or maybe they just aren't given enough funding to actually do stuff they know they should do. IDK.

Wizards HQ, where MODO development takes place, is in Redmond, WA. Home to Amazon and Microsoft, both companies that will pay actual wages to software folks in the region and probably have an ok work environment. Contrast this with Wizards, who hopes that developers will work for far less money (because they don't have a proper budget) and in an environment that is pretty poo poo according to their glassdoor. The general consensus is that they are hoping someone who has a great love of the game will be willing to deal with the poo poo and take a pay cut to work there and that's just not happening. Maybe with more money they could hire someone good, but that probably wouldn't fix the work environment issues.

Sigma-X posted:

Also that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

They need to remove redemption totally. They need to price events/tickets/whatever to make sense for a digital product. MTGO is going to make the most money if there is a reason for people to play both paper and mtgo together.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Give away free poo poo to hook people?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

TwistedNails posted:

This temur eldrazi deck is awesome, I have almost every card in it too so I will have to try it out.

Is there a decklist floating around for this?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Give away free poo poo to hook people?

So cannibalize their existing pillar franchise in the hopes that it competes digitally?

Good luck getting Hasbro to take that risk.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Alris posted:

The guy had a deck tech, hasn't been uploaded to their coverage page yet though.

Edit - anyone watching the coverage - did I hear it right that Todd Anderson intentionally drew his match and now he might get bumped out of the top eight on breakers? Heh.

Edit2 - must have misheard he is in the top eight

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 29, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

So cannibalize their existing pillar franchise in the hopes that it competes digitally?

They could do exactly what the Pokemon tcg does and give free digital product to people who buy cards.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

They need to remove redemption totally. They need to price events/tickets/whatever to make sense for a digital product. MTGO is going to make the most money if there is a reason for people to play both paper and mtgo together.

This, and also they were on the right track with whatever event that was were people could play through a tournament with a top tier deck without owning the cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

The amount of new people they can get into the game vs the amount they would lose from paper magic is not even close. If anything, the amount of people that would play both paper and digital would outpace those that only play digital in the long run.

Making mtgo good is not going to hurt the paper game. :laffo:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is that 4 Saheeli decks in the top 8?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

The amount of new people they can get into the game vs the amount they would lose from paper magic is not even close. If anything, the amount of people that would play both paper and digital would outpace those that only play digital in the long run.

Making mtgo good is not going to hurt the paper game. :laffo:

This is WotC, where "If we make our product good then people might actually buy it" is considered an insurmountable obstacle.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is that 4 Saheeli decks in the top 8?

Yep. And 3 GB aggro/delirium lists.

Should be interesting to see what the pro tour brings, hopefully some actual change to the metagame otherwise it is going to be a rough wait until Amonkhet.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Alris posted:

It looks to be this list, maybe it's off on a few quantities but this list has everything I saw on stream.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/558294#online

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is WotC, where "If we make our product good then people might actually buy it" is considered an insurmountable obstacle.

I mean right now people are wanting to buy commander products but can't and there is no way it can be fixed. The solutions are just to hard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

There is no place in business for a company that stagnates and allows the competition to overtake it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The standard open at 425 people? Holy gently caress that seems like a low number.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
PT top 8 is going to be 4+ Saheeli combo decks, the rest GB varients. Then we'll get a Cat ban and (something out of GB).

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Balon posted:

PT top 8 is going to be 4+ Saheeli combo decks, the rest GB varients. Then we'll get a Cat ban and (something out of GB).

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

Nothing out of G/B is getting a ban. Everything out of G/B is magic just as WOTC has wanted it to be in standard. The only questionable thing is saheeli.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If they ban a midrange rock deck built around cute synergies with a gold card in its colors, exactly as design intended, then I don't know what the hell they're doing with this game.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Balon posted:

Nothing in GB will be banned.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The amount of games that seem to come down to positive value from the Saheeli Deck due to just the threat of combo is kinda scary (and what people here seemed to predict)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Stormgale posted:

The amount of games that seem to come down to positive value from the Saheeli Deck due to just the threat of combo is kinda scary (and what people here seemed to predict)

Todd just lost a game because he couldn't afford to blow up a gearhulk and trample damage because he could instantly lose from 15 life next turn from the combo. This is not good gameplay for standard.

• Locked thread