Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Then that's pretty genuinely lovely design and has basically soured me on the game. If you're incapable of designing a plot-heavy missions with a lot of cool setpieces in a way that someone who is new to the experience can actually enjoy it then you've hosed up terribly. It sure looked neat except for the part where I might as well have watched it on Youtube.

It was lovely design and it only really worked as intended at launch.

If you're on Excalibur though it is entirely possible to get goon groups to run a new person through it so they can experience it naturally. That's what I did for two people I recruited to the game, it was no big.

It is important to not be afraid to reach out to goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

If you're on excalibur, DGKK (or at least me and a few other people in DGKK) make a regular point to not only do cutscene-friendly goon runs of praetorium for brand noobs who want it, but do it ilvl synched, which not only synchs character level, but ilvl - all the way down to ilvl /42/ - so the bosses actually live for more than five seconds and you have to pay attention to mechanics. This /massively/ enhances the experience for the Nero, Gaius, and Ultima fights the first time around - Ultima is an incredibly cool and fun fight ilvl synched.

If you can hop in on one of these sometimes you might enjoy it a lot more the second time around - even after having seen it once duty finder style, several people who came in to help newbies do it had a blast seeing it 'for real'.

Don't do minimum ilevel CM/Prae unless you hate yourself. The fights aren't that interesting.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way, if you're on Excalibur, I'm trying to collect other various newbies to the game that want to experience the old content fresh.

I'm returning to the game after over a year off and this is my profile.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3053333/

This is good to hear because my highest DoW class is 25 :ohdear: and I completely forgot how to play, but I want to get back into the swing of things with people who are OK with me being all :downs:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I'm returning to the game after over a year off and this is my profile.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3053333/

This is good to hear because my highest DoW class is 25 :ohdear: and I completely forgot how to play, but I want to get back into the swing of things with people who are OK with me being all :downs:

You really enjoyed mining and fishing, huh?

Welcome back!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't do minimum ilevel CM/Prae unless you hate yourself. The fights aren't that interesting.

It's pretty fun actually, hth.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ask goons for crafted 250 for the parts that you haven't been able to get via alex yet.
I resubbed after a six-month break so all my stuff is either 220/230 (Midan/Primal gear basically) and this would be super-helpful. You don't remember what these crafted armours are called by any chance?

Also for the 250 POTD weapon I need to clear floor 100 and have a +99 arm, right?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 29, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You really enjoyed mining and fishing, huh?

Welcome back!

I really really like gathering :shobon:

Honestly, my main motivation to level DoW at all, is to fish. That's the worst part about returning, my fully melded Forager's set got totally replaced. :saddowns:, but now I have more to work towards!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pierson posted:

I resubbed after a six-month break so all my stuff is either 220/230 (Midan/Primal gear basically) and this would be super-helpful. You don't remember what these crafted armours are called by any chance?

Also for the 250 POTD weapon I need to clear floor 100 and have a +99 arm, right?

The 255 weapon requires that you have 60/60 on your aetherpool gear and that you have a 235 weapon as well.

I can't recall the names of the 250 crafted stuff, but if you just ask in the FC people can help you out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pierson posted:

Go to http://www.garlandtools.org/db/ and use the End Game Equipment tool. The green items are crafted. If you click each one and select "add to crafting list" it will come up with a list of all the materials you'll need.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Xun posted:

How active is the sever? And what are the odds of finding some chill FC to play with? Preferably an English or Finnish speaking one lol

Very active, and extremely good! My FC/LS is chill, fairly casual but we have people who know how to play. There's a static but they don't play on a day I can join them so I don't know how they're doing. We have English and Finnish members in the LS but everyone speaks fluent English, including Discord sometimes. They're not goons, but they're cool people and they make the game a really pleasant and fun experience, if that's what you're looking for.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mymla posted:

It's pretty fun actually, hth.

Ayup. Ran the praetorium isynced when one of our friends hit it and it turned a snooze fest into an actual dungeon.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Picked this up last night should be done on my PS4 when I get off work at 8est tonight.

What servers am I looking for to play with goons? I assume the Bolded ones in the OP.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

verbal enema posted:

Picked this up last night should be done on my PS4 when I get off work at 8est tonight.

What servers am I looking for to play with goons? I assume the Bolded ones in the OP.

Excalibur has the majority of goons, you just gotta finagle yourself in at the right time then you're golden.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Ayup. Ran the praetorium isynced when one of our friends hit it and it turned a snooze fest into an actual dungeon.

When I did it, it turned a quick snoozefest into a long snoozefest. At best you get to see some bosses do a few more dodgeable AOEs.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm gonna say ilevel sync'd Praetorium (a dungeon I love actually) was not much fun :shrug:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Xun posted:

How active is the sever? And what are the odds of finding some chill FC to play with? Preferably an English or Finnish speaking one lol

I think Ragnarok has the biggest Finnish population? I've got no experience of the server though. I'm a casual player on Excalibur and have no complaints about finding people to play with. Maybe if I was looking for a static the time difference might be a problem.

edit: or was it Odin? gosh I forget

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Excalibur has the majority of goons, you just gotta finagle yourself in at the right time then you're golden.

Right on. Thanks

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Ultima fights are probably the only semi-interesting encounters in there, and even at 50 sync (not min) you clown everyone in 2 minutes. Probably just enough time to see all the encounter has to offer.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Finding the DGKK FC house was like a fairy tail.

"First road on the right, then on till :catstare:"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just had someone flip out and leave a Zurvan group, because someone copied their macro that writes:

code:

\MT /                       \\  | | MT
D1  \ / D2                   D1  \\| |      D2
__________                        \|\|
D3  /  \ D4                  D3    |\|\    D4
   / ST \                       ST | |\ \
Like, literally just got pissed off and left after posting that, and someone said they're gonna copy that for the future.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just had someone flip out and leave a Zurvan group, because someone copied their macro that writes:

code:

Like, literally just got pissed off and left after posting that, and someone said they're gonna copy that for the future.

He's gonna be really mad when he finds this post!!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

verbal enema posted:

Right on. Thanks

Note that this will probably be very early in the morning. Excal is a popular server.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Zombibrand mission redeemed literally every flaw of this stupid game. :allears:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The Zombibrand mission redeemed literally every flaw of this stupid game. :allears:

The Hildibrand missions are a goon favorite for a reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven't done any of the heavensward ones because there are no trials or duties involved.

The involvement of Gilgamesh and Ultros/Typhon and the subsequent fights are what made the ARR Hildibrand stuff amazing. Without that I don't find it appealing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Do the Postmoogle quests too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't done any of the heavensward ones because there are no trials or duties involved.

The involvement of Gilgamesh and Ultros/Typhon and the subsequent fights are what made the ARR Hildibrand stuff amazing. Without that I don't find it appealing.

But...but the beach scene in the Blue Lady quest. Every scene of Hildebrand honestly. It's Hildebrand and on the opposite end if the tone spectrum the end of Tamtara hard show what the team is capable of doing story telling wise.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 29, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Ultima fights are probably the only semi-interesting encounters in there, and even at 50 sync (not min) you clown everyone in 2 minutes. Probably just enough time to see all the encounter has to offer.

There's a pretty big difference between 50 sync and ilvl 42 sync. 42 is actually lower than the ilvl of people who were doing it when the content was new, a lot of people were right at ilvl 50 due to having job gear and a cobalt weapon or whatever.

Level 50 sync is capped at ilvl 110 or so? That makes it so you have probably at least double the stats.

I'll put it this way, lahabrea is actually dangerous in a ilvl 42 synced run.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I skipped all the scenes in those 50 story dungeons because it all went so fast. I was told to watch them in the inn, but I never got around to it. I always wanted to a min ilvl run of them with cutscenes on. Sadly, I'm on Behemoth so I guess I'll miss any goon runs of this stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

no bones about it posted:

There's a pretty big difference between 50 sync and ilvl 42 sync. 42 is actually lower than the ilvl of people who were doing it when the content was new, a lot of people were right at ilvl 50 due to having job gear and a cobalt weapon or whatever.

Level 50 sync is capped at ilvl 110 or so? That makes it so you have probably at least double the stats.

Level 50 syncs you to i130 with i135 weapon. And yeah ilevel 42 is really low.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ilevel 50 synch is 130. You're running around in the equivalent of Dreadwyrm in Crystal Tower or Amdapoor Keep.

It's why Aurum Vale takes forever; the difference between a level 49 synch and a level 50 synch is almost 100 Ilevels.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

code:

I mean, I'd adjust it like follows (possibly with a bit more tweaking of ascii art, e.g. to get D4 closer to the line on the right). And clarify MT/OT are stacking in the pattern on the right (not OT closer to center), and D1/D3 thus have more room to spread out so they don't have to worry about standing right on the edges of the safe area when it's not entirely clear where exactly the edge is.

But point being, the general underlying idea of it is a good macro. I definitely can't see why anyone sensible would leave because someone else wanted to spread a good way of communicating who goes where for what.

code:

\ MT /                      \\  | | MT
D1  \  /  D2                     \\| | OT  D2
___________                  D1   \|\|
D3  /  \  D4                       |\|\    D4
   / OT \                      D3  | | \\

Vil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2017

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Let's not go nuts, now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hapqB91vg

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did a min ilvl Prae just the other day and I can say that Lahabrea is still a victory lap. Ultima Weapon however is still a credible threat.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

verbal enema posted:

Hey man, glad to see you make the jump from Overwatch.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpaceDrake posted:

Note that this will probably be very early in the morning. Excal is a popular server.

Like 4 5? I'll be up I'm sure

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

Hey man, glad to see you make the jump from Overwatch.

My PC died so yeah didn't have much choice

Looking to play with ya sonetime

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I did a min ilvl Prae just the other day and I can say that Lahabrea is still a victory lap. Ultima Weapon however is still a credible threat.

I did a run with goons a couple months ago and one of our DPS discovered that Void Pitch really loving hurts. I had to raise him, it was really a weird feeling having someone welp on lahabrea.

We also tried to leave the magitek bits up during ultima fight, we quickly decided that was a Bad Idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

verbal enema posted:

Like 4 5? I'll be up I'm sure

Then you'll get in no prob!

• Locked thread