Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek Smart literally cannot be right about Star Citizen

Star Citizen also cannot fail or be a commercial flop

Because,

And furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, how much does he cry every night as thousands of $$$ he's spent on jpegs (that could only go up in value) shrink?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"Him slandering Sandi with accusations blah blah etc".

Fun things about "accusations". When you have evidence they become "facts".

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The only thing that can be said about Sandi Gardiner with objective, unbiased certainty is that she is a terrible actress.

Oh, and the tickle fetish thing, I keep forgetting

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Yo, Sandi, let's kick it!
Tickle Tickle baby
Tickle Tickle baby
All right stop
Collaborate and listen
Chris is back with my brand new intervention
Something grabs a hold of whales tightly
Then I flow that a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop?
Yo, NO
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a jpeg like a vanduuuuuuuuuuul
Light up a stage and I turn a wax a chump like a candle

Break Down Sandi.
Under pressure Derk Smart coming down on me
coming down on me

Ben rushes the speaker that booms
I'm killin' your wallet like a poisonous spoon
Deadly, when I play a dope Scam
Anything less that the best is a felony
Love it or leave it
You better gank way
You better hit bull's eye
The Roberts don't play
If there was a problem
Yo, I'll let Eric Solve it
Check out the jpeg while Sandi resells it

Break Down Sandi.
coming down on me

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

If this thread and the accompanying Discord channel plus tweets/blog represent Desktop Commander, than this game loving rocks.

In a way Desktop Commander is in Early Access right now. It will release when the game doesn't come out/is stripped down and then everyone else gets access to what will be an epic meltdown.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Rants are the path to the Smart side. Rants lead to anger. Anger leads to doubt. Doubt leads to refunding.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spatial posted:

Pretty much. Imagine if SC looked like Rodina but had the same game mechanics it does right now. It's not even lone developer indie tier.

This is what I think.

I think it's been said before but perception is reality in a lot of cases.

It's how CIG can simultaneously be a "startup company" and also be a multinational mega corporation of superior production ability. In reality you can't have these two things together, but the narrative changes based on what people want to have.

On one hand Chris Roberts is the best developer breaking new ground, and then we have videos like Road to Gamescom or whatever it was telling a story of how they "tried real hard" and boohoo think of the people behind this game.

But none of this would be possible without graphics and production values like they have. If this looked like Rodina then it wouldn't be anywhere. People who download it load it up and it looks good, or even great, but it's very deceptive.

This game is breaking new ground that others haven't by really developing backwards. They started with graphics and are struggling to work backwards. Unfortunately though it's worked out great for them. If anything, they may start a new trend for Kickstarter games where graphics become more essential to gameplay and even technology that exists now.

Sure millions of dollars later you'll realize "Oh gee, I can't have 2,000,000 polygon characters everywhere, AI NPCs inside ships reacting to events as they perceive them, and all persistent with 1000s of players all doing different things in the same world. The guy running the Drink game can't actually look out his window and see another guy in another ship having a space battle wave at him while also turning to see a whole crew of players mining on a nearby asteroid."

But by the time that happens you'll be driving a Porsche with a mansion while collecting the salary of a Saudi Arabian oil minister. And to keep things going all you have to do is not admit that it's not going to happen. Just keep on going. :)

If you think Chris Roberts hasn't been told by his own people and many other people that his ideas just won't work, you're delusional. He chooses to ignore those warnings and just keeps on trucking. He knows right now without a shadow of a doubt Star Citizen is impossible as he promised it. That part is important because when SC does come out as an arena shooter with minimal content, that's the ballgame.

Star Citizens lack of "programmer art" is what made the Roberts millionaires. I fully expect other people to pick up on this and we'll see other early access or Kickstarter games pop up with amazing production values with no hope of becoming anything. People like pretty things. For a product, and I'm not saying awesome art is easy, but good/great artwork is probably the easiest component of a project to deliver. You can have an artist spend a month making something that looks as good as anything in other games. Unfortunately you can't have a programmer spend a month and connect that model to all of its associated gameplay events, especially if it has unique and custom sets. But that's the breaks.

CIG is an art house, pumping out great art. And they've made lots of people involved with it very rich. That train won't derail any time soon.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

scrubs season six posted:

Deep thoughts. from star citizens.

I hated that part of my life too. Where I just got everything all the time without caring. drat you world, you are so hard on me! :argh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Looking forward to the moment he realizes that for as bad as Derek's games are, that Star Citizen isn't suddenly everything CIG promises.

This is like saying this dead cat proves my stinky skunk is the best pet ever.

No friend, it just proves both choices are bad choices. :downs:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jesus :gonk:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Welcome to the Refunderdome

i liked it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WHERE is grabby hands thats what i want to know

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

In the White House, as far as I recall......

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5qumcj/is_it_time_for_grabby_hands/

looks like it's coming along nicely

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Patch

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ripptide posted:

In the White House, as far as I recall......

There needs to be a word for the feeling you get each time you remember Donald Trump is no poo poo the President of the United States. The Germans probably have a word for it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

I get a little annoyed when I see people ask this; Grabby hands have been in the game since the fund raising went passed $20 million and Roberts could not stop, since then his grabby hands has not stopped grabbing more out of spergs wallets.

(The earlier version was tickling hands 0.8 but he has developed them into grabby hands 1.7 since then.)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

There needs to be a word for the feeling you get each time you remember Donald Trump is no poo poo the President of the United States. The Germans probably have a word for it.

"Joke."

p.s. Eddie ....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

In Europe.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Weltschmerz.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Great, now I laughed awkwardly on the train. Thanks for that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

What the everloving gently caress?!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i do not understand the metaphor at play here

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:chanpop:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Female models in SC confirmed!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
The inevitable consequences of economically free zones

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I miss having greyhounds :( I could probably squeeze one into my apartment but I have neighbours who I think are scared of dogs.

WARNING: DOXXING MY PARENTS LEGS/BOOTY

This is the typical dogpit stance when the roast is being sliced.

Middle doggo is my parents, named Benny

Left is Kenny, right is Sylvia. My brother and his wife have those 2 as pets. Brother has another 2 as he trains then part time/hobby.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:fap:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

VealCutlet posted:

I miss having greyhounds :( I could probably squeeze one into my apartment but I have neighbours who I think are scared of dogs.

WARNING: DOXXING MY PARENTS LEGS/BOOTY

This is the typical dogpit stance when the roast is being sliced.

Middle doggo is my parents, named Benny

Left is Kenny, right is Sylvia. My brother and his wife have those 2 as pets. Brother has another 2 as he trains then part time/hobby.

Those are excellent doggos and you should be proud of that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825733538393817094
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825760712719028227
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825796311203069954

A Tweet singling out teachers unions as the reason for these education statistics. The article The Gremlich links makes no mention of teachers unions as a contributing factor.
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825779828221734913

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I thought these people obsessively watch this thread and catalogue everything? Do they not see us talking down Derek and some of the things he does? They just happen to forget these times? loving weirdos.

Get a god drat refund you stupid motherfuckers. Just because someone is an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean they aren't right. Do you only take truths in when there is a handie on the side and they call you a pretty boy?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

If it is not about Star Citizen and the money you sunk into the scam, then what the gently caress is it about? Social justice? Of all the ills in this world this is what you are spending your time on? And to do it you are doing the very thing you decry, doxing and harassing. Worse, you do it in a hate subreddit. Sometimes I wonder if they are actually just racists.

In pot calling the kettle black news; welcome to our hate thread.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/825854266287980544

:trumppop:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It will be amazing if CIG releases the 3.0 patch and there is no means of traversing the planet without buying a rover or dragonfly. If you want to get somewhere, just use your starter ship or walk lol.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 30, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tokamak posted:

I will be amazing if CIG releases the 3.0 patch and there is no means of traversing the planet without buying a rover or dragonfly. If you want to get somewhere, just use your starter ship or walk lol.

Also know as the "Elder scroll Online" horse trap. What to get anywhere in less than 10 minutes ? That will be 15$ please. No horse for in game money.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tokamak posted:

I will be amazing if CIG releases the 3.0 patch and there is no means of traversing the planet without buying a rover or dragonfly. If you want to get somewhere, just use your starter ship or walk lol.

you'll find that planets are so densely populated with a variety of amazing NPCs and adventures that you will want to walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless