Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seminal Flu posted:

I can't find a lot of info about when to replace HID bulbs. I've got D1S bulbs on the Escalade and I'm sure the light output after 12 years is probably lacking... but am I right? How much do HID bulbs degrade in output over time? Also, any benefit to buying $60 Osram/Sylvania/Phillips bulbs over $15 generics?

I'm a huge fan of light so I've erred on the side of crazy in terms of lighting for my own cars. I'm personally a fan of the Osram Xenarc 66240 but they are drat pricey. In terms of quality, the cheap bulbs can have issues with alignment of the arc (will cause issues with the thrown pattern) and may have longevity issues. You can get lucky though, and well, for $15 it's not that big of a risk. The ballasts are the more important bit so an OEM balast with a cheap bulb is a better combo than a high quality bulb with a cheap ballast.

HID bulbs will drop to around 75% of their original output around 3,000 to 4,000 hour mark and by 20,000 hours should be around 50% of output if they've survived that long. As Geoj mentioned, there's a colour shift right before bulbs die so it's an easy indicator for requiring replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's not the day of or the day after you need to worry about. It's the second day after that you'll need to avoid stairs. And clutches. And anything other than planting on a couch.

thanks for the heads up ive gort a cocktail of otc pain meds and anti-inflammatories ive been loading up on preventatively for this very reason

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geoj posted:

As far as generics go...I bought a pair of generic D2S bulbs about 10 years ago (when brand name bulbs were in the hundreds of dollars range) and they're still working fine today. YMMV but if they fail you're only out $15.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Bajaha posted:

I'm a huge fan of light so I've erred on the side of crazy in terms of lighting for my own cars. I'm personally a fan of the Osram Xenarc 66240 but they are drat pricey. In terms of quality, the cheap bulbs can have issues with alignment of the arc (will cause issues with the thrown pattern) and may have longevity issues. You can get lucky though, and well, for $15 it's not that big of a risk. The ballasts are the more important bit so an OEM balast with a cheap bulb is a better combo than a high quality bulb with a cheap ballast.

HID bulbs will drop to around 75% of their original output around 3,000 to 4,000 hour mark and by 20,000 hours should be around 50% of output if they've survived that long. As Geoj mentioned, there's a colour shift right before bulbs die so it's an easy indicator for requiring replacement.

That's what I was wondering/figuring... the light output seems to be less than it should be, and less than what I've had in other HID headlights before. I'm guessing that I'm seeing a diminished output. I'll throw a new cheapo set in there and see if it makes a difference and go from there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Check it and check it carefully! Mine would have been paid off a number of years ago except that when I first started working hmrc lost all my payments for 3-4 years (until I noticed) and then it took months to sort it out and they still didn't get it right.

I've just spent a week trying to complete my online Self Assessment Tax Return for HMRC, due to finding a bug in their system that they didn't know how to resolve.

The last page of the form has a free text box to include additional information about your tax return. It doesn't accept the '%' or '£' symbols in it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

keykey posted:

I was at school all day yesterday and quite appropriately in one of my classes, the topic for creating an effective argument was how to persuade people on either side. The gist was that if your audience has an extreme view on either side, trying to persuade them is a lost cause. Conversely, if your opinion differs from either of those views, you're seen as being the other. This was a super appropriate topic as my wife is a social worker and also has worked with refugees in the past. In any case, we were laying in bed and she opens Facebook and her and her uncle had a heated facebook argument which I think is probably the lamest thing ever, but whatever. Anyway, she asked me what I thought and I honestly don't know enough about the refugee thing and I just said I don't even have an opinion. Instantly I was branded as being for the ban. Sometimes art imitates life.
If you think that discrimination based on religion or national origin are wrong, you should be against the ban.
This isn't some complex thing like health care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nm posted:

If you think that discrimination based on religion or national origin are wrong, you should be against the ban.

Remember: This ban was handwritten by a Extreme Right Wing White Supremacist: Stephen Bannon.

Its not even two weeks in and we're already in serious trouble.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Stephen Bannon is also on the National Security Council now

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

The Door Frame posted:

Stephen Bannon is also on the National Security Council now

If anyone wanted to claim we aren't in a bizarro hell, this is the counterpoint.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

nm posted:

Fair enough. I haven't had a chance to read the signed document yet and honestly with everything I have going on in my personal life don't think I'll even get around to it anytime soon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Man, morally I don't wanna go into defense when I graduate, but it's gonna be where like 90% of the market growth is.

Grrrrr.

Barely related: during my time at Pizza Hut, there was an office building that ordered pizza a couple of times a week for lunch. Since I was the main opening driver, I almost always got those orders. Always saw a bunch of flags inside,

I finally asked the receptionist what the company did.

"All I can say is we contract with the department of defense".

So I looked up their web page. Hm... aviation stuff, but with a lot of military photos. Click on locations...

Turns out it was a building full of drone engineers (warning for music embedded in the page - who the gently caress does that these days?)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

holy poo poo something clicked and im in full control of the board now. i feel so relaxed! time for some long rear end blues

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I always wished I could snowboard but I'm too much of a wimp. I'm uncomfortable with the feeling you get in your stomach when going fast. Been on one roller coaster in my life and hated it. My reoccurring nightmare is of me going down giant hill and I can't slow myself down at all, I get that feeling in my stomach and then wake up. Majorly not AI.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

i was literally combatting that all yesterday and this morning but like you learn how to slow the gently caress down frontways on command and you work on your muscle memory for that, then slowing the gently caress down backwards, then s turns and use the slow the gently caress downs as an oh-poo poo, and then after like a day of that something clicks and you have full range of motion with your back foot and can relax and enjoy it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i always got bored of snowboarding because i was already a much better skier

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

i personally enjoy overcoming challenges, but also i didnt go super fast on skis before i switched over

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

i was literally combatting that all yesterday and this morning but like you learn how to slow the gently caress down frontways on command and you work on your muscle memory for that, then slowing the gently caress down backwards, then s turns and use the slow the gently caress downs as an oh-poo poo, and then after like a day of that something clicks and you have full range of motion with your back foot and can relax and enjoy it

There's nothing quite like the feeling of 'hell yeah, i'm doing awesome' *swish swhoosh swish* as you making you're way down the mountain only to be passed like you're standing still by a 2 or 3 year old girl in a pink ski suit with a binky in her mouth.

And women in skin tight yoga pants on the slopes are a health hazard.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Skiing aint skiing unless you have 200-300Kw of V8 in front of you and the snow has long melted into water. And then it becomes hilarious fun and one of the truly great things to do on a hot summer's day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

I always wished I could snowboard but I'm too much of a wimp. I'm uncomfortable with the feeling you get in your stomach when going fast. Been on one roller coaster in my life and hated it. My reoccurring nightmare is of me going down giant hill and I can't slow myself down at all, I get that feeling in my stomach and then wake up. Majorly not AI.

I skimboard/surf and skateboard so snowboarding came kinda natural for me, however all of the ski slopes I have been to had horrible rentals with lovely boots and bindings that wreaked havoc on my ankles after about two hours. The last time I switched to skis and almost killed myself immediately, so I just gave up :(

I imagine having a proper quality board and boots/bindings fitted would be infinitely better but for someone living in Florida that doesn't get up north much it's kinda dumb.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Skiing aint skiing unless you have 200-300Kw of V8 in front of you and the snow has long melted into water. And then it becomes hilarious fun and one of the truly great things to do on a hot summer's day.

Never skied, but my most fun memories as a kid involve an innertube and going 40mph across the water behind my dad's boat. It was so much fun to get slung off and go skidding across the top of the water.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

"If it doesn't have wheels or an engine, it's not a sport"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Reminder for Rhyno for the next months chat thread OP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna make the OP a huge ad for my hot sauce.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

blk posted:

Peter Thiel just bought a ton of land on NZ like a rat leaving a sinking ship. Many Silicon Valley bigwigs have done the same, driving the price of something already expensive to the out of reach category.

Aside from seeing America's civil society and moral compass currently being destroyed, I'm scared of the coming economic collapse we will see if Trump is successful in his other imbecilic policies, such as his wish to devalue the dollar. America is a linchpin in the world economy and that will be felt everywhere, no matter which country one considers fleeing to - much like climate change and war.

gently caress that rear end in a top hat, didn't he just fund a bunch of pro trump bullshit? Or am I thinking of someone else

If he was for it he should have to stay here and reap the consequences. Too bad that will never happen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

No one's around to stop you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

As long as it has reference to old Falcon in the garage, I aint gonna report it.

quote:

gently caress that rear end in a top hat, didn't he just fund a bunch of pro trump bullshit? Or am I thinking of someone else

If he was for it he should have to stay here and reap the consequences. Too bad that will never happen.

Correct. Theil is / was a huge Trump supporter. Man is an A-Grade oval office.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, my house has an empty spare room.

No garage on the property, but I have lots of parking and a concrete pad in the backyard for shenanigans.

So, to any Americans looking to bail, $400/m + we split utilities. No kids, you gotta be able to put up with my border collies, and you gotta be able to put up with me. I am willing to provide you with a residence while you immigrate and can potentially help you get a jerb if you don't mind getting paid around $12/h and not working fulltime. Prices in CAD.

I don't have any furniture in it right now but that's something that can be worked out, room's like 12x12 or 14x14 or some poo poo like that.

E: Google "Owen Sound" for pictures of your bleak future.

Is there an Apple Store there?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

I'd like to pretend that AU isnt well on its way to trump grade idiocy in politics, but then I see the race to the bottom between the two main parties that all the loving boomers keep voting into power and I just want to drink myself to death.

Speaking of self-medicating australians, has anyone heard from fo3 recently? I remember he was having some difficulties, but I haven't seen him around for a bit. Did I miss something happening?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As long as it has reference to old Falcon in the garage, I aint gonna report it.

Correct. Theil is / was a huge Trump supporter. Man is an A-Grade oval office.

This is also the same guy who thinks that the blood of young people will make hime immortal, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

This is also the same guy who thinks that the blood of young people will make hime immortal, right?

Apparently even with all the BS flying about with Trump I still have the capacity to be WTF'ed

:: Goes fact check ::

Holy gently caress what the hell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Apparently one of my friends got shipped off to a "Black Site" for holding green card inbounds pulled off flights in violation of the Federal Court order.

I'm severely ticked.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Is there an Apple Store there?
they won't generally let you move to one in a different country unless you already have citizenship there or are going to a country to open a new store

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't like this timeline.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SNOWBOARDING

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QUADS

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Reality is happening man. Distractions are nice, but we live here, and our neighbors are being attacked.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

InitialDave posted:

"If it doesn't have wheels or an engine, it's not a sport"

Another 100km on the new snowmobile. 1049cc's of powder-thrashing fun. Goddamn fun. Went to a buddy's cabin, ripped around, drank and ate a bunch, stayed the night in a cabin heated solely by a wood stove. Goddamn sometimes life is good.

Was a nice break from how hosed the world is atm :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh hey found out today they'll be a local by election here shortly and the head of UKIP is standing as a candidate. 70% of the locals voted Brexit here so um, great. The main hope against him is a large immigrant population and a decent student population, but see the 70% comment again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

No mods no masters.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Reality is happening man. Distractions are nice, but we live here, and our neighbors are being attacked.
I am actively wringing my hands what more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Just found out that my Xterra and my Fit take the same oil filter. What a happy coincidence.

• Locked thread