Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lester Shy posted:

What are some of the best 6-12 episode British murder mystery/crime dramas on Netflix? I really liked Top of the Lake and The Fall, and there are about a dozen similar-looking shows like Broadchurch, Hinterland and Happy Valley. Do any of them stand out from the rest?

Happy Valley has a brilliant first season and a very disappointing second. Broadchurch has the same diminishing returns. Hinterland is consistently excellent and one of the most beautifully shot tv shows I've ever seen. I'd watch Hinterland first and then Southcliffe, which is a must-see miniseries. Then watch Happy Valley.

One cool thing about Hinterland is they shoot every scene twice, exactly the same except that they do it once in english and once in welsh. Apparently it's really stressful for the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

I don't know if it's been on Amazon for a while or it just arrived, but The Mist is up. It has its moments.

Thomas Jane just wants his kids back

I love The Mist. It gets a lot of rightful criticism for the CGI in the first 20 minutes of the film, but aside from that it's a superb adaptation of King's original story, and notable as being the only screenplay that King said had a better ending than the one he originally wrote. Not all that surprising since its Frank Darabont.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Watching some now. It's weird how they get people to recreate the events when they can. "Hey, do you want to recreate the worst moment in your life for television?"

This was by far the weirdest thing about it. Like that episode where a lady and Matthew McConaughey are in a re-enactment of her son getting gunned down outside her house :wtc:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lester Shy posted:

What are some of the best 6-12 episode British murder mystery/crime dramas on Netflix? I really liked Top of the Lake and The Fall, and there are about a dozen similar-looking shows like Broadchurch, Hinterland and Happy Valley. Do any of them stand out from the rest?

Foyle's War, Foyle's War, and Foyle's War.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
S2 of Happy Valley started good, then shuffled its way to a lackluster ending.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fishtobaskets posted:

I love The Mist. It gets a lot of rightful criticism for the CGI in the first 20 minutes of the film, but aside from that it's a superb adaptation of King's original story, and notable as being the only screenplay that King said had a better ending than the one he originally wrote. Not all that surprising since its Frank Darabont.

More like the corniest ending of all time. All it lacked was sadtrombone.wav

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've been on an exploitation kick with Chopping Mall, Street Trash and Yakuza Apocalypse from Prime. I enjoyed all of them but goddamn do I wish somebody would give Takashi Miike a big budget and a good script because Yakuza Apocalypse was borderline incoherent (yet still amazingly shot and performed)

regulargonzalez posted:

I still think that the ending would have been better received if they had the dad screaming in the fog as part of the credits rolled until it lifted and revealed the end. A little more breathing room between him shooting the kids and the mist lifting would have made a world of difference. (Also I don't think anybody realized that the woman on the back of one of the rescue trucks with two kids was the same woman that ran out of the store at the beginning of the movie or the irony of the main characters unknowingly driving away from rescue. Once you get that, the end word of Hope hits way harder than the novella ever could.)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 28, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I've learned the danger of wishing from Miike ever since I finally got to see his Phoenix Wright movie

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Literally the only thing I have heard about the Phoenix Wright movie is they do the "Everyone falls over when someone says something stupid" thing that anime took from old-timey American comic strips but in real life.

The person who told me this said that it never has any effect on him in anime, but it somehow becomes incredibly hilarious when transferred to actual actors.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

I liked River (with Stellan Skarsgard). Not sure if it's on Netflix US, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I loved the ending to The Mist. The whole thing felt like a big episode of the Twilight Zone.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Scylla posted:

I liked River (with Stellan Skarsgard). Not sure if it's on Netflix US, though.

It's on Netflix US and it's pretty good, the co-star Nicola Walker is always excellent

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Literally the only thing I have heard about the Phoenix Wright movie is they do the "Everyone falls over when someone says something stupid" thing that anime took from old-timey American comic strips but in real life.

The person who told me this said that it never has any effect on him in anime, but it somehow becomes incredibly hilarious when transferred to actual actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtpQlp72GYk welp

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wow, it's just this perfectly timed un-commented moment played straight

It's almost unsettling

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

You know when it initially happens it isn't really funny and it kind of obnoxious, but the fact that there isn't any music sting and they just slowly get up and continue to be serious about the court case brings it to being really goddamn hilarious.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't care that it was corny. (Mist movie spoilers) I went in being a huge fan of the book and had no idea the ending changed. I told my friend that is was a depressing ending. And it was so much better. I do agree it could have been made a bit better with a little more spacing, but that also made it so over the top I couldn't stop laughing as everyone in the theater was in shock.

Anyway, I doubt it's on Netflix, but if it is, watch the black and white version of The Mist. Gives it more of a traditional horror feel.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Episode 2 of Unsolved Mysteries has a segment about a teen that died after getting involved in D&D :allears:

I think its the same episode there's a story about a guy who left home in the 1930's and never told his family where he went and lived to an old age but never married or had any kids and left behind a bunch of money and they're looking for the heirs. I guess they found them and the family is like "Nobody was ever mad at him. Nobody knows why he left."

I wonder if he was gay and just couldn't tell his family :(

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 29, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I just realized that I haven't seen Red Riding in a long-rear end time. Is the whole trilogy up, anywhere?

Also if you've never heard of it, binge-watch it. It's a british crime drama trilogy about a serial killer, set over the course of like 10 or 20 years across three movies. It gets successfully better with each. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/movies/05redriding.html

Alterian posted:

Episode 2 of Unsolved Mysteries has a segment about a teen that died after getting involved in D&D :allears:

I think its the same episode there's a story about a guy who left home in the 1930's and never told his family where he went and lived to an old age but never married or had any kids and left behind a bunch of money and they're looking for the heirs. I guess they found them and the family is like "Nobody was ever mad at him. Nobody knows why he left."

I wonder if he was gay and just couldn't tell his family :(
Sometimes people do weird poo poo for petty reasons, too.

My grandfather got into a fight with one of his brothers and moved away, and pretended for the rest of his life that he was an only sibling. Things were really surprising at his funeral because he had like 13 siblings that even my dad didn't know about.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 29, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Herzog's Lo And Behold is up on Netflix. It's good.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

mysterious frankie posted:

Came here to post this.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
My issue with the movie version of The Mist's ending is that the books ending was far superior and really didn't need changing. In the book, they just drive on not knowing if they're actually going to make it to Hartford, or even if they do, that there will still be people there. It's also perfectly ambiguous as to if the mist has spread further than New England, or even taken over the whole world.

The movie fucks that all up by killing the kid and then having the military roll in. So now you know the event was just localized and that everything is going to be alright. Like, it's shocking that the kid dies by his own fathers hand, but the stakes were a hell of a lot higher than that when it was potentially apocalyptic event that was occurring like in the book. When the military rolls by in tanks and stuff, that's basically a happy ending compared to the book - the only thing that makes it somewhat unhappy is that kid died, but again, there were just monsters the size of buildings tearing people apart so in the grand scheme of things it's still not too bad an outcome for the world.

The movie should have ended with the zoom-out where it shows the skyscraper-sized monster utterly dwarfing the SUV.

Stephen King says he wished he thought of the movie ending, but Stephen King can't write a good ending to his stories to save his own life, so I think that proves quite objectively that the book ending is the better one.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

mysterious frankie posted:

I liked it, but it is probably the weaker of his docs on Netflix. I havent watched it in a while so maybe my memory is rosier than reality, but I liked Happy People much more.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
(The Mist) There was a military base right there in that region. We still don't know whether the rest of the world was affected or not, just that in this particular area, humanity won out, for now.

Also the sudden turn to hopefulness and the thorough thrashing of suicidal pessimism is good either way.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Sun Choke is on Netflix too and it's pretty good. Not amazing, but good. Barb Crampton is fun in it as a slightly demented caregiver and it gets surprisingly gory.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is Hunt for Red October streaming anywhere? I could watch that movie every day

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

I've been on an exploitation kick with Chopping Mall, Street Trash and Yakuza Apocalypse from Prime. I enjoyed all of them but goddamn do I wish somebody would give Takashi Miike a big budget and a good script because Yakuza Apocalypse was borderline incoherent (yet still amazingly shot and performed)

Miike's early movies don't make a lot of sense, but they're usually pretty interesting at least. A lot of them are also cool time capsules to working-class 80s Japan. If you want to continue on your exploitation kick, go to Basket Case 2, 976-Evil 2, Frankenhooker and Killing American Style on Amazon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChineseConnection posted:

Miike's early movies don't make a lot of sense, but they're usually pretty interesting at least. A lot of them are also cool time capsules to working-class 80s Japan. If you want to continue on your exploitation kick, go to Basket Case 2, 976-Evil 2, Frankenhooker and Killing American Style on Amazon.

Thanks for the recommendations. I loved Basket Case 1 and Frankenhooker so more like that is always welcomed. Also have Gozu, Microwave Massacre and Why Don't You Play In Hell? on my queue.

Yakuza Apocalypse was interesting but it took about 40 minutes until I could figure out who everybody was/what was going on and the movie went completely insane (in a good way) in the last third.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not really in the same genre as the other films being discussed, but Miike's 13 Assassins is what happens when you give him a budget. He's in incredibly skilled director and can put some really stunning images on the screen if he has the resources.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Tumble posted:

My issue with the movie version of The Mist's ending is that the books ending was far superior and really didn't need changing. In the book, they just drive on not knowing if they're actually going to make it to Hartford, or even if they do, that there will still be people there. It's also perfectly ambiguous as to if the mist has spread further than New England, or even taken over the whole world.

The movie fucks that all up by killing the kid and then having the military roll in. So now you know the event was just localized and that everything is going to be alright. Like, it's shocking that the kid dies by his own fathers hand, but the stakes were a hell of a lot higher than that when it was potentially apocalyptic event that was occurring like in the book. When the military rolls by in tanks and stuff, that's basically a happy ending compared to the book - the only thing that makes it somewhat unhappy is that kid died, but again, there were just monsters the size of buildings tearing people apart so in the grand scheme of things it's still not too bad an outcome for the world.

The movie should have ended with the zoom-out where it shows the skyscraper-sized monster utterly dwarfing the SUV.

Stephen King says he wished he thought of the movie ending, but Stephen King can't write a good ending to his stories to save his own life, so I think that proves quite objectively that the book ending is the better one.

The men of science constantly made bad decisions endangering everyone else. The crazy religious woman was absolutely correct about everything, including the need to sacrifice the boy to save everyone else. As soon as he is dead is when the military rolls in and the mist dissipates. The movie is absolutely a better, tighter ending that ties everything together, although the movie's message is pretty cringeworthy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Simplex posted:

The men of science constantly made bad decisions endangering everyone else. The crazy religious woman was absolutely correct about everything, including the need to sacrifice the boy to save everyone else. As soon as he is dead is when the military rolls in and the mist dissipates. The movie is absolutely a better, tighter ending that ties everything together, although the movie's message is pretty cringeworthy.

That's ignoring the woman at the end with both her kids in the military truck. The movie pretty much condemns the man of science that surrenders life and the insane religious woman that tries to speak for God.

When you think about it it's man that started the crisis and man that fixed it. The only real moment that God could be credited for is protecting the woman that ran from the store as the mist first descended and even that could have been a complete fluke. Whether it was God or good luck doesn't matter.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 30, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you have Netflix and like ultra-gritty and edgy neo-exploitation, Gun Woman (2014) is worth a glance. It's kind of insubstantial, and it's seriously overdosed on gross edgy poo poo, but I dug it regardless.

It's also got a synthwave score, so there's that.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's ignoring the woman at the end with both her kids in the military truck. The movie pretty much condemns the man of science that surrenders life and the insane religious woman that tries to speak for God.

When you think about it it's man that started the crisis and man that fixed it. The only real moment that God could be credited for is protecting the woman that ran from the store as the mist first descended and even that could have been a complete fluke. Whether it was God or good luck doesn't matter.

Except the religious woman doesn't give a prophecy of the woman's fate, she just advises her not to go out into the mist because death is out there, compared to her specific predictions of later events.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I loved Basket Case 1 and Frankenhooker so more like that is always welcomed. Also have Gozu, Microwave Massacre and Why Don't You Play In Hell? on my queue.

Yakuza Apocalypse was interesting but it took about 40 minutes until I could figure out who everybody was/what was going on and the movie went completely insane (in a good way) in the last third.

Basket Case and Street Trash are really quality cult B movies with respectable production values; 976-Evil 2 is a bunch of nonsense, but actually belongs with those. Slaughter High, Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College, Blood Diner and Class of 1999 are sometimes on Prime and all worth a watch when they are.

Microwave Massacre is its own type of movie - a Z-Grade shot-on-video mess. It belongs in the same class as Woodchipper Massacre, Deadly Prey and Black Devil Doll From Hell. Even Samurai Cop or garbage tier Troma movies are a step above that mess. If you're into Microwave Massacre, check out Corpse Grinders and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things on Amazon Prime.

If Samurai Cop is more your bad movie of choice, Amazon Prime has most of the director's movies including Young Rebels, Revolt, and Killing American Style. Honestly, Amazon has been really great about adding some great bad movies and cult movies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Simplex posted:

Except the religious woman doesn't give a prophecy of the woman's fate, she just advises her not to go out into the mist because death is out there, compared to her specific predictions of later events.

None of what the religious nut said matters. That's the whole point. The military caused the problem. The military fixed the problem.

The military was on the way before the boy was killed. If the movie was trying to make the point that she was divinely correct, she wouldn't have been shot to death for trying to lead her flock.

The group could have sat in the store and eventually been rescued. The group could have driven in the opposite direction and eventually been rescued. The group could have waited in the broken down jeep and eventually been rescued.

The movie muddys the water with the woman at the end somehow not only surviving in the mist but finding her kids (was it a miracle? was it good luck?)...still it's pretty clear that the movie condemns both David (for pragmatically killing everybody he loved in an attempt to save them from a horrific fate) and Mrs. Carmody (for becoming a murderous false prophet)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've always thought that the likeliest scenario is that Darabont wasn't really thinking about Carmody's crazy rants when he decided on that ending, and that the whole "the religious fanatic was right all along" narrative that's grown out of that since the movie's release is purely unintentional.

Just my gut feeling, based on nothing really

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Whether it was intentional or not it doesn't fit at all with what actually happens in the movie.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Filthy Hans posted:

It's on Netflix US and it's pretty good, the co-star Nicola Walker is always excellent

Unforgotten, with Nicola Walker, is really good; it's a British crime procedural where none of the cops are crazy, which makes it kind of unique, I think. Not on Netflix, but well worth trying to catch.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

None of what the religious nut said matters. That's the whole point. The military caused the problem. The military fixed the problem.

The military was on the way before the boy was killed. If the movie was trying to make the point that she was divinely correct, she wouldn't have been shot to death for trying to lead her flock.

The group could have sat in the store and eventually been rescued. The group could have driven in the opposite direction and eventually been rescued. The group could have waited in the broken down jeep and eventually been rescued.

The movie muddys the water with the woman at the end somehow not only surviving in the mist but finding her kids (was it a miracle? was it good luck?)...still it's pretty clear that the movie condemns both David (for pragmatically killing everybody he loved in an attempt to save them from a horrific fate) and Mrs. Carmody (for becoming a murderous false prophet)

How does the movie condemn Mrs. Carmody? She is unsympathetic and you may not like her beliefs or actions, but that is all irrelevant to her righteousness. People who are divinely correct, but die in the service is so common that we have a term for it, martyrdom.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

How does the movie condemn Mrs. Carmody? She is unsympathetic and you may not like her beliefs or actions, but that is all irrelevant to her righteousness. People who are divinely correct, but die in the service is so common that we have a term for it, martyrdom.

I'd say the biggest indicator of what the movie has to say about her is the fact that the biggest gently caress yea fist pumping moment is her getting shot in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looking for a good mystery to watch tonight. Any recommendations, dudes?