Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'm guessing whats-her-face on the cover of volume 4 is meant to be the teacher with the annoying vocal tic who reincarnated as an elf? Based on Blastron's translations it's a better execution of the trope than I would have expected, but I still get this throbbing pain in my temple whenever I have to read a lot of her dialogue at once.

The elf girl on the volume 5 cover is the teacher, yes (volume 4 is Sophia, the vampire). She stopped talking like that once things got serious, I don't remember her doing it at all in volume 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tamba posted:

The elf girl on the volume 5 cover is the teacher, yes (volume 4 is Sophia, the vampire). She stopped talking like that once things got serious, I don't remember her doing it at all in volume 4.

So who's the other elf on the cover? At first, I thought maybe it was elf-teacher's evil father, but then I noticed the breasts, so...? I don't remember any other notable female elves in the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bobulus posted:

So who's the other elf on the cover? At first, I thought maybe it was elf-teacher's evil father, but then I noticed the breasts, so...? I don't remember any other notable female elves in the story.

i think that's just an open shirt rather than breasts. really, oka and her dad are the only named elves. the rest of them are nothing but extra bodies or meat for the beast.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am in another world! Wow! Surely my social awkwardness /aspergers / elementary education will turn me into a hero / harem king! I definitely won't be a lazy shut in like my old life!

After reading the GBS China thread, I can't tell if the Chinese light novels are also mostly written by horrible shut ins, or if the selfish dumb protagonists are just standard mainland China values.

In good light novel news, I decided to check in on the best spider story again. God drat, spider girl got strong!

Bastron I love your translations. Both of them.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Any new blood web novels out there? Preferably of some higher than average quality?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
yall should check out Library of Heaven's Path its funny and the MC is not a murderer or rapist. Weird!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am in another world! Wow! Surely my social awkwardness /aspergers / elementary education will turn me into a hero / harem king! I definitely won't be a lazy shut in like my old life!

After reading the GBS China thread, I can't tell if the Chinese light novels are also mostly written by horrible shut ins, or if the selfish dumb protagonists are just standard mainland China values.

I think in the case of pretty much all Japanese/Chinese/Korean web novels, it's less "the values of Chinese/Japanese/Korean people" and more "the values of teenage boys", at least with respect to the whole "loser ends up becoming a badass with a harem" element.

That being said, there probably is an interesting discussion to be had on the differences between the tropes that do exist.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I recommend the English web novel Savage Divinity. Magic low tech Chinese kung-fu setting with a good reincarnated protagonist. One of the latest chapters had the MC lamenting why the gently caress he didn't read some physics text or something useful. In the MC 's defense, he lost most of his memories after reincarnation.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ytlaya posted:

I think in the case of pretty much all Japanese/Chinese/Korean web novels, it's less "the values of Chinese/Japanese/Korean people" and more "the values of teenage boys", at least with respect to the whole "loser ends up becoming a badass with a harem" element.

That being said, there probably is an interesting discussion to be had on the differences between the tropes that do exist.

"I'm Really a Superstar" is the story of a man transported to a world with a slightly different history, so he used his amazing powers to plagiarize his old world's works to gain fame in his new world. It is a Chinese Web novel.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

"I'm Really a Superstar" is the story of a man transported to a world with a slightly different history, so he used his amazing powers to plagiarize his old world's works to gain fame in his new world. It is a Chinese Web novel.

Reminds me of this manga where these guys are sent back in time to soon before the Beatles became popular, and they decide to start a band and play all the Beatles songs. They rationalize this using the logic that the Beatles will come up with cool new music if they play their original stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of those korean wn's where the protagonist steals their past self's body are hilarious because they are so blatantly dedicated to petty revenge against high school classmates. there are a few exceptions, but even most of those are still incredibly juvenile power fantasies even by wn standards.

reincarnator is good, though!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

http://en.qidian.com/

This is a thing coming I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even the novel descriptions are poorly translated

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Harry Potter x Naruto

It's like literature junk food. Delicious, terrible fanfiction junk food. I have the worst taste.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried reading coder lee yongho for a while, but it was just too relentlessly depressing. basically, it is about how modern korean corporate culture is so awful that the only way to succeed is with inexplicable job-specific super powers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shukaro posted:

Harry Potter x Naruto

It's like literature junk food. Delicious, terrible fanfiction junk food. I have the worst taste.

See, this is what I normally think of when I think of fanfiction. That D&D Wizard one was written much more competently and had a pretty well thought-out plot.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been catching up on the raws for I was a Sword when I Reincarnated, and boy, there's a lot of untranslated stuff. I'd liked it at the beginning, but it really hit its stride once it properly got going.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Currently in ZTJ: Chen Changsheng and Xu Yourong are entirely too perfect for each other, and the Retirement Home for Old Swords has decided to throw a parade. :toot:

Bakanogami posted:

I've been catching up on the raws for I was a Sword when I Reincarnated, and boy, there's a lot of untranslated stuff. I'd liked it at the beginning, but it really hit its stride once it properly got going.

I don't know what this is, but that title has me intrigued. An isekai where the MC's trapped in the form of an inanimate object? "I'm not the legendary hero, I'm just their sword"? I'm going to check this out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it has the slaves tag so it is almost certainly bad

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Practically any story that takes place in an extensive medieval world will have slavery, so that seems a bit unfair.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

Practically any story that takes place in an extensive medieval world will have slavery, so that seems a bit unfair.

there isn't anything wrong with including slavery in a story, but i have yet to see a single wn handle it well. most are blatantly pro-slavery, and the few exceptions have their own problems.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

I can't speak for the WN since the translator seems to have taken down chapter 2 temporarily, but the first chapter of the manga adaptation starts with the magic sword getting picked up by some slave girl and then killing her captors.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then i might give it a try some time. just because my broad generalization has been right thus far doesn't mean it always will be.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

then i might give it a try some time. just because my broad generalization has been right thus far doesn't mean it always will be.

It's still a power fantasy where dude becomes awesome sword and turns underaged cat girl into a killer with poor writing an tons of onomatopoeia. It isn't ~slave harem X~ bad. But still not good.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Currently in ZTJ: Chen Changsheng and Xu Yourong are entirely too perfect for each other, and the Retirement Home for Old Swords has decided to throw a parade. :toot:

I don't know what this is, but that title has me intrigued. An isekai where the MC's trapped in the form of an inanimate object? "I'm not the legendary hero, I'm just their sword"? I'm going to check this out.

For the first part it's just him as a sword using telekinesis to fly around and stab things, but he eventually gets a wielder and things take off from there.

There are others in the same vein but this was the best I've found. Though the one where a guy reincarnates into a vending machine is on my list.

As for the slave thing it's definitely on the better side for WNs. His wielder is a slave girl he frees, and they kill off slavers whenever they find them. It's not like a lot of these WNs where the MC is so socially awkward they buy a slave for human contact who then falls in love with them for saving them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

It's still a power fantasy where dude becomes awesome sword and turns underaged cat girl into a killer with poor writing an tons of onomatopoeia. It isn't ~slave harem X~ bad. But still not good.

if i disliked garbage fiction i wouldn't be in this thread, but even i have standards. incredibly low standards mind you, but standards just the same. i don't disdain dumb power fantasies on principle, but they've gotta have something good about them to stand out from the pack. the usual rpg system bullshit isn't a substitute for including a plot.

also, ztj is something i prefer to read in batches and i certainly picked a terrible time to get caught up. the scene where they complained about their horrible fiances was hilarious, though!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been reading The Duke's Daughter is the Knight Captain's Young Wife, and up til now it was just a silly fluffy little story. but now the girl cries whenever the old man doesn't go along with what she wants, and she even threatened to kill herself. this was immediately after she wore him down to 'starting as friends', during a conversation about bringing him lunch.

run the gently caress away, wilhelm! run away and never look back!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maybe your goal of reading All of the web novels is a mistake

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

Maybe your goal of reading All of the web novels is a mistake

i make very poor decisions in general

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Candy is doing the thread a priceless service by reading All The WNs and talking about them.

Stand strong you junky WN junkie, stand strong.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Shukaro posted:

Candy is doing the thread a priceless service by reading All The WNs and talking about them.

Stand strong you junky WN junkie, stand strong.

couldnt we replace him by just coding a bot that posts "i read $WN_TITLE and it was awful" every so often

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if i reported on every wn that i tried and dropped after a chapter or two this thread would be 50 pages longer

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

if i reported on every wn that i tried and dropped after a chapter or two this thread would be 50 pages longer

Sounds like a good thread, imo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jon joe posted:

Sounds like a good thread, imo.

most of my commentary would consist of :jerkbag:

the problem i face is that the terrible garbage i wouldn't use to wipe my rear end is very similar to the terrible garbage i kinda like, so the best way of checking is by reading a couple chapters. filtering by genre on novelupdates works fine, but filtering by tag doesn't. there are too many tags, and they are alternately too broad or too specific.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I filter by how unique a story deviates from the general tropes of their genre. For example, for a xianxia story, I'm expecting tropes that slant towards male audience. If it shows up with something different, like My Disciple's variation on having a female oriented audience (and thus a shift away from murderhoboing the world), I automatically read for more. Another good example of trope shift would be Cultivation Chat Group, where the main character isn't the "main" character: every one else is just way more lucky, powerful, connected, or talented than he is. It's basically a tale of how the bit player fit in everyone else's narrative.

For other stories, it's more of the fact that they're either the first to do that genre that I read, like SAO, LMS, and Zhan Long, or the fact that they break into a genre that sees very few stories, like Parallel World Pharmacy. Because they're first, or because there's so few of their kind, they come across as something interesting. And that is the most important part of reading WNs for me: what sets your story from the rest of the crowd? You have a story about a reincarnated femme fatale? So does at least 20 other stories on QiDian. You have a story about a genius doctor? There's plenty of those too. A genius doctor that ISN'T a murderhobo as well? Well now you've caught my attention, how will you make your plot progress? Perhaps this is why I especially like slice of life stories, because they make the ordinary everyday extraordinary.

At this point, I am going to have to make a recommendation. A while ago, my mom got absolutely hooked on a horror story. Normally, she would avoid these stories like the plague, since she would have nightmares after reading one. However, Ghost Blows Out the Light was so good that she read it non-stop, even though it was out of her normal genre pick. This shows that the writer was able to do such a good job that even someone who doesn't usually read his written genre is willing to give it a go. It's finding gems like these that makes digging through all the dross worth it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish that wn's about genius doctors didn't always turn into an extended wankfest about traditional chinese medicine

i wish that wn's about reincarnated femme fatales weren't mostly about hooking up with an impossibly beautiful emperor

also, a sense of humor goes a long way because 99.999% of these crappy web novels are completely humorless

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

i wish that wn's about genius doctors didn't always turn into an extended wankfest about traditional chinese medicine

i wish that wn's about reincarnated femme fatales weren't mostly about hooking up with an impossibly beautiful emperor

also, a sense of humor goes a long way because 99.999% of these crappy web novels are completely humorless

Hey now! They constantly use slapstick terrible humor.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I wish that wn's about poor lepers didn't always turn into an extended wankfest of eugenics and SUPERIOR NOT RACIST GENES.

I wish that wn's about reincarnated japanese men didn't always turn into a tale of casual homophobia and polygamy. The worse part about the polygamy is that they don't even try to make a statement like "yeah they all are completely fine with each other why do you have a problem with their relationship"? More often than not it's "gently caress all the anime."

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Anyone looking for a moderately above average wn should check out Library of Heaven's Path. Mostly inoffensive, at least for as far as the translation has gone and pretty funny at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If anyones taking a break from ISSTH: Meng Hao just met someone named Greed and then began acting so shamelessly it made Greeds scalp go numb and start to think Meng Hao should be the one named Greed.