Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Summary of those famitsu pages http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/01/25/ps4-exclusive-nioh-gets-new-screenshots-revealing-villains-williams-masters-famitsu/

You'll have duels with trainers to learn those mystic arts that showed up in the last demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This game is going to be amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Little less than two weeks to go :toot:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Modest Mao posted:

did you not see the video where a corpse is reanimated on top of a burning castle and it's nobunaga

and that boss that says the're bringing back something powerful... something like that

the game is extremely obviously about stopping a western wizard from reanimating nobunaga and toppling tokugawa

No, I did not, where's it at?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

No, I did not, where's it at?

Oh they pulled it well try this one https://youtu.be/zzxx6TeEsJM

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

:( No longer available due to a copyright claim.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah I just saw but naturally a hundred people reuploaded it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So an interview with the producer revealed that there are going to be 20 guardian spirits. Spirit builds are gonna have some crazy versatility.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

So an interview with the producer revealed that there are going to be 20 guardian spirits. Spirit builds are gonna have some crazy versatility.

Hell yes. I was already going to do a Spirit build but now I'm even more excited.

I wonder how many abilities each guardian spirit will have as you level up. Part of me thinks that they won't have too many more than we saw in the demos--while I'd love it if they did, the abilities in the demos were clustered really closely together in terms of how much Spirit you needed to unlock them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're spread out more in the full game. Then again, maybe they're like that just because they want it to be easy for you to splash into Spirit on any build to get more out of the guardian spirits you're going to use anyway, and then the higher-level abilities will require a lot of Spirit investment.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm more curious on what happens when you level them up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Marogareh posted:

I'm more curious on what happens when you level them up.

You get to pet them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did that interview say anything about how many weapon types there are going to be?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looked like spirits didn't have levels in the last demo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I didn't see spirit-specific levels, just new bonuses you unlock by leveling up your own Spirit stat.

Man I'm excited for this game, I want to hang out with my guardian spirit buddies and have a great katana-slashin' time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Btw the wiki is wrong about status effects, wind didn't give any dot. If you ever got hit by a tengu you probably got afflicted with it, you would've noticed if it were also poison.

https://twitter.com/nioh_game/status/770212588537864192

Fire: damage over time
Water: increase damage taken
Wind: reduce break resistance
Lightning: slow attack and movement speed
Earth: double ki consumption

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Review copies are beginning to get sent out. Review embargo ends Feb 2nd.

Also the game is 39gb.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Cool (apocryphal) story about Yosuke, Nobunaga's bodyguard/slave/friend.

Nobunaga was betrayed and assassinated, surrounded in a complex by a rival. Yosuke wasn't with him at the time of Nobunaga's death, but a group of the attackers stumbled upon him. Not only had these guys never seen an African, he was allegedly like 6'4. He was ready to fight, but Nobunaga's killer said that because Yosuke was not Japanese he was not beholden to die for his master. They released him and even paid for his return to Africa.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the OST track list has leaked and seems to spoil the name of the last boss(as well as a few other things). Dunno if it's okay to talk about spoilers in here or not.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Probably don't talk about spoilers for a game that isn't out yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a pre-release thread, this is kind of where you discuss pre-release stuff.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah stuff like how you wish you had Nioh to play right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RatHat posted:

So the OST track list has leaked and seems to spoil the name of the last boss(as well as a few other things). Dunno if it's okay to talk about spoilers in here or not.

There are these lovely things called spoiler tags on these forums...

Genocyber posted:

It's a pre-release thread, this is kind of where you discuss pre-release stuff.

Don't post spoilers. If you really must, use spoil tags. Its not rocket appliances.

Its a pre-release thread so we're gonna talk about things as we find out about them and post videos of levels and stuff, but just straight up story / plot stuff like "who is the final boss" doesn't really tell you anything about how fun the game is, just a spoiler.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah stuff like how you wish you had Nioh to play right now.

I'm jonesin bad right now, maaan

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

On a scale from Zelda to Dark Souls. How direct is the plot on this?

Cutscenes that actually explain poo poo? Not that I dont enjoy the dark souls community plot puzzle. But reading what I did and why I did it months later is a trick that only dark souls can pull off(and only sometimes)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bombadilillo posted:

Cutscenes that actually explain poo poo? Not that I dont enjoy the dark souls community plot puzzle. But reading what I did and why I did it months later is a trick that only dark souls can pull off(and only sometimes)

It's not Dark Souls style plot at all, expect plenty of cutscenes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclnyClsdCY

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Holy loving comedy accent. There's no way I'll be able to take the story seriously if everyone talks like that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There a dude who is magically hiding an entire cat in his shirt.

I don't think it's going to be that serious.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

"Excuse me sir would you happen to know the time?"

"HORD ON ONE SHECOND RET ME CHECK MY CAT"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Holy loving comedy accent. There's no way I'll be able to take the story seriously if everyone talks like that.

Nah, that's just before William learns Japanese presumably. Most of the dialogue will probably be Japanese with English subtitles.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Snak posted:

There a dude who is magically hiding an entire cat in his shirt.

I don't think it's going to be that serious.

I mean serious as in focusing on what's happening as opposed to 'jesus Christ why are you talking like a 40s propaganda movie character?'

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I mean serious as in focusing on what's happening as opposed to 'jesus Christ why are you talking like a 40s propaganda movie character?'

He sounds like an actual Japanese dude with a poor grasp of English. I'd be willing to be that is the same voice actor that's doing the Japanese dialogue for Hanzo.

Which makes me wonder if Liam O'Brien's character (the villain) has a different Japanese VA or if it's him doing the Japanese lines.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
There are plenty of cutscenes in the game where people speak Japanese at William and he kinda just looks confused. I'm sure there will be a few times William poorly speaks Japanese.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Hanzo is showing off how much of a badass he is by speaking fluent english in 1600 japan. Nioh (at least the playables) has everybody speak the language they're supposed to be speaking, with appropriate subtitles. So when someone speaks japanese, it's actually japanese. When someone speaks english, it's english. When that someone is japanese, expect them to be really bad at english.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

His English is actually pretty decent. especially compared to a lot of a Japanese English voice acting, which is mostly 'here's a script just read it, no one cares how the words are actually supposed to be pronounced'.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Hanzo is showing off how much of a badass he is by speaking fluent english in 1600 japan. Nioh (at least the playables) has everybody speak the language they're supposed to be speaking, with appropriate subtitles. So when someone speaks japanese, it's actually japanese. When someone speaks english, it's english. When that someone is japanese, expect them to be really bad at english.

What's even cooler was that the flavortext that pops up on some pickups also follows these rules, so occasionally you'd hear an English voice instead when it was like a foreign sailor narrating it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

He's not supposed to speak English well. It seems like a pretty decent accent to me. :v:

RatHat posted:

Nah, that's just before William learns Japanese presumably. Most of the dialogue will probably be Japanese with English subtitles.

Bingo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That didn't come across to me as comedic at all, especially since it's about people from two different cultures meeting.

Also please tell me there's more of that Timecat in this game, because I am already building my list of 2017 Pet Games of the Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm not sure any people actually spoke English in Japan in 1600s, iirc the real William Adams spoke through a Portuguese translator before he learned Japanese.