Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Loran also made his beam saber huge. He did it by placing two of them next to each other with the blades pointed the same way so that they co-mingled their energy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Begemot posted:

I mean, the bio-sensor/psycommu is just a magic box that lets newtypes do their thing on a bigger scale. They explicitly say in Zeta that even the people who made the things aren't sure what they're really capable of.

It annoys me when people try to play down the newtype psychic power stuff when it's a foundational part of the whole series. Making a psychic force field isn't any less realistic than communicating psychically through the void.

It's not really a matter of realism because Gundam isn't realistic at all and it's not really supposed to be, it's a matter of the theme of what newtypeism is supposed to be. The entire point of newtypes in the Gundam franchise is that they are meant to represent an enhancement of human empathy and understanding that could be something beautiful and transformative for the human race but their gifts are instead twisted and corrupted into weapons by small-minded jackasses. This theme works a lot better when newtype powers are focused on communication and precognition and less well when newtype powers are literal wizardry. Stuff like Char, Amuro, and Lalah flying through space talking to each other works better for me from a "newtype stuff" standpoint than "Banagher turns the Unicorn into Crystal Super Saiyan 2 and waves his hand to defeat all opposition effortlessly".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
He does that by connecting to the entire consiousness of humanity and showing Frontal that there is light in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Belzac posted:

He does that by connecting to the entire consiousness of humanity and showing Frontal that there is light in it.

But you don't need crystal magic Gundam to visualize that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Belzac posted:

That debate is over and Frontal is dead before the Unicorn even forms the psycofield barrier, nevermind evolving into Crystal Unicorn.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I was talking about the Kung Fu part as the crystal part was purely defensive and not "defeat all opposition effortlessly". And Banager actually dies when he does that as he converses with Marida on the other side and then goes back to living. The actual crystalization of the Unicorn is a little weird but it was probably suppose to harken back to Axis Shock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think Banagher is a wet blanket surrounded by a far, far more interesting supporting cast. Basically everyone apart from Banagher and Full Frontal are excellent in Unicorn. Zinnerman and Riddhe might be some of my favourite characters in the franchise.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I like ol' Ban-kun cause like Loran he generally sticks to his pacifist principles and feels real remorse for every person he ends up killing. He sort of like a less likable Judau which is ok cause you're probably not supposed to like the MC of a Gundam show as much as I like Judau. You're supposed to be a little disgusted with their ideology and actions.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 27, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Loran was also something of a well-meaning milquetoast surrounded by more interesting characters, but even he got to have a few charming character moments that made it clear he was just a good kid trying to do right by people, even if some of those people think it's a good idea to use a wooden barrel as a reentry vehicle. Meanwhile Banagher doesn't really get the chance to breathe and be a person.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Banagher doesn't really exist outside of the plot. It's something I,ve talked about before: with the other Gundam protagonists, you usually get an idea of who they are, what they do, outside of the plot. Amuro is introduced as a paranoid shut-in. Seabook is introduced dressed as a cook and having a fight with his girlfriend because he signed her up for a beauty contest without asking. And so on and so forth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Banagher doesn't really exist outside of the plot. It's something I,ve talked about before: with the other Gundam protagonists, you usually get an idea of who they are, what they do, outside of the plot. Amuro is introduced as a paranoid shut-in. Seabook is introduced dressed as a cook and having a fight with his girlfriend because he signed her up for a beauty contest without asking. And so on and so forth.

Apparently in the novels he hangs out and smokes weed with his friends!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is really it more than anything. Banagher is important because the plot dictates that he is. That's fine and all, but he doesn't do anything to distinguish himself as a compelling character when put up against Riddhe, who i find absolutely fascinating. There really needed to be a moment for Banagher to establish his initial curiosities and personality, rather than just being pacifistic because reasons, and then not really giving any. The first time I actually liked Banagher was episode 4, when he finally has to come to terms with his guilt over killing someone, and his relationship with Zinnerman reaffirming his belief that what he is doing is morally good.
It also doesn't help that the narrative of Unicorn is its weakest aspect in my mind, and tying Banagher so closely to the narrative drags him down with it.

The plot is strong, most of the characters are great, but it's just that the narrative and story feel undercooked or focused on the wrong things. Making a story about the final resolution of conflict between the Zeon and Earth is a compelling subject, but the treasure hunt narrative structure really hindered the story. You could take Laplace's Box out of Unicorn entirely and just have the story about protecting Mineva from Full Frontal as she goes to sign a final treaty with the Federation, ceasing all hostilities between the Principality/Axis/Republic and Earth. You could even keep all of Frontal's prattling about symbolism and ideology and it wouldn't change anything, but you would give up a pointless red herring that only repeats the same message that the show has been talking about for seven hours.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

He's an engineering student, and when they see the old Zaku it seems like he notices the hole in the cockpit while his friend just says "wow a Zaku!"

It's not much, but it's not nothing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's an engineering student, and when they see the old Zaku it seems like he notices the hole in the cockpit while his friend just says "wow a Zaku!"

It's not much, but it's not nothing

It's not much of a reaction, though. It is certainly a show don't tell moment, but there really needed to be more to establish his pacifism.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not much of a reaction, though. It is certainly a show don't tell moment, but there really needed to be more to establish his pacifism.

You know, since Loran is getting brought up, I'm going to say how I love his brand of pacifism.

He recognizes that violence, even including lethal force, can be necessary from pretty early on, but he also treats it as a weapon of last resort. He'll do everything reasonably in his power to keep his opponent alive, but if he doesn't have options...

He does what he has to, regrets that he had to, and moves on. No whining about it, or blaming other people for what he did. He just tries to do better the next time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I knew Loran was a good character when he told everyone to come back because the Earth is a great place and Moon is playing. :3:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am a monster. I finally got around to that episode in G-Gundam with Chibodee's back story and I cannot stop laughing every time he brings it up.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, as a spinoff of the current discussion in the IBO thread, is Iok Kujan a bigger failure of a human being than Cronicle Asher?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
No because he actually succeeded. Chronicle just disappeared from the plot for half the show then broke his neck.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am a monster. I finally got around to that episode in G-Gundam with Chibodee's back story and I cannot stop laughing every time he brings it up.

Clown terrorists are loving hilarious do not feel bad

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ninjewtsu posted:

Clown terrorists are loving hilarious do not feel bad

That episode showed me that if you have problems just rely on your mother issues to be solved by the magic of song.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ninjewtsu posted:

Clown terrorists
Wait, does that make Chibodee Batman?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Wait, does that make Chibodee Batman?
I'd say yes, but DC to this day keeps flip flopping on whether or not the guy who murdered the Wanyes was in fact the Joker, so...the comparison depends on what DC's stance of the day is.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

SeanBeansShako posted:

That episode showed me that if you have problems just rely on your mother issues to be solved by the magic of song.

And of course the lullaby his mother sang to him was America the Beautiful. Because he's American. G Gundam is so good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd say yes, but DC to this day keeps flip flopping on whether or not the guy who murdered the Wanyes was in fact the Joker, so...the comparison depends on what DC's stance of the day is.

I thought the Joker murdering his parents was an invention of Burton's for the 1989 movie.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought the Joker murdering his parents was an invention of Burton's for the 1989 movie.

It was, in the comics it's always been Joe Chill, who was just some random mugger.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Begemot posted:

It was, in the comics it's always been Joe Chill, who was just some random mugger.

I think Chill has occasionally been set as low-level thug carrying out a hit on the Waynes, but my comic history is fuzzy on that aspect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Begemot posted:

I've been so out of the loop on DC continuity that I think my brain tried to fuse the films with the comics in some bizarro alternate timeline last night. I have no idea why I thought that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite Batman backstory is the Telltale one where the Waynes were corrupt gangsters and Joe Chill was hired to assassinate them by a rival mobster. The first few episodes deal with Bruce learning that this is where his vast fortune truly comes from and is genuinely interesting until the last two episodes where the story kind of falls apart.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

AradoBalanga posted:

The current stance, as of Darkseid War, is that it was a random mugger. Batman learned the guy's exact identity thanks to the Moebius Chair and paid the guy a visit to put the fear of Bat-god into him. :eng101:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That guy was still Joe Chill, though. Other than the Burton movie, they've never really changed that, just sometimes Bats knows, sometimes he doesn't.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So is Vidar Ein in a robot body or what

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Muffinlord posted:

So is Vidar Ein in a robot body or what

It's Gaelio. With some unknown amount of cyborginess.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's Gaelio. With some unknown amount of cyborginess.

But that's so much more boring than "it's the cyberbody of the guy you turned into a literal weapon of war and he really misses being able to taste food".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

But that's so much more boring than "it's the cyberbody of the guy you turned into a literal weapon of war and he really misses being able to taste food".

Not when you consider the general theory is Gaelio's got him hooked into the Vidar Gundam.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not when you consider the general theory is Gaelio's got him hooked into the Vidar Gundam.

I still like mine better because then he gets to pull off the mask for the dramatic reveal and it's just a brain and metal framework underneath.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doing a rewatch of Unicorn ep.1. Just how big is Industrial 7? It looks far bigger than the usual 30km long O'Neill cylinders, and instead of having exterior solar arrays, it has a solar array in the center.

How many people do you think Marida and Riddhe got killed in that fight?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 30, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Doesn't Riddhe just show up after Marinda blows up a bunch of ReGZELs and save the kids? I don't think he actually gets into a real fight till later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Belzac posted:

Doesn't Riddhe just show up after Marinda blows up a bunch of ReGZELs and save the kids? I don't think he actually gets into a real fight till later.

Riddhe joins the fight BY blowing up a bunch if kids. He beam slashes his way into the colony just where all the students were trying to escape the kshatriya. Stop having fights inside colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Riddhe joins the fight BY blowing up a bunch if kids. He beam slashes his way into the colony just where all the students were trying to escape the kshatriya. Stop having fights inside colonies.

My favourite is still the Launcher Strike causing Heliopolis to rip itself apart. "NO YOU IDIOT! DON'T FIRE LAUNCHER CANNON INSIDE THE COL-*BWAAAAM*"