Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've actually heard really good things about LaunchBox. Has anyone here tried it?

Just googled a youtube video and this guy is saying it's super easy so I might try it.
I'm sad though. I can run hyperspin and it has all the media, and I can launch games from mame, but I can't get the games to launch from hyperspin. I'm not sure where I'm broken at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Just googled a youtube video and this guy is saying it's super easy so I might try it.
I'm sad though. I can run hyperspin and it has all the media, and I can launch games from mame, but I can't get the games to launch from hyperspin. I'm not sure where I'm broken at.

I last installed hyperspin like a year ago but i remember you had to be very specific with paths and the versions of emulators you were using, im pretty sure there was a variety of pre setup configs for each one. I gave up with hyperspin on my emulation machine and just installed LAKKA, which is basically just retroarch and a lightweight distro to run it.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone know why the save states on my EVERDRIVE NES keep getting deleted? Do you need to hold down reset during power off or something?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've actually heard really good things about LaunchBox. Has anyone here tried it?

I tried it and like it. The free version is great for just organizing/sorting/setting up custom emulators. Paying for premium for "big box" isn't a bad idea, I like the interface on it much more than other things. All of the "free" options are there are more expensive when I consider how many hours I'd have to sink into them to make them look nearly as good.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Then maybe you shouldn't get huffy just because I disparaged the legacy of Dash Rendar.

I got pissed because it's not the first time you've jumped in and did your little taste police thing on something I said I liked and it gets kind of old. When someone's a dick to me I act like a dick in return, it's just how I was raised. Anyway I think the difference of opinion is here

Kid Fenris posted:

I actually think that most games, even bad ones, are fun to play for at least a little while. But when we start talking about standouts of a system's library, i.e. the reasons to own or keep said system, my lists get short.

When I find a game good and I have fun with it I don't have a problem recommending it or adding it to a list or whatever, it just ends up in my mind as "good game". It's happened several times where someone else will thank me because they'd never heard of it or thought it was something lovely and for whatever reason they end up enjoying it. I think it would be kind of boring if everyone's lists of standouts or whatever was exactly the same.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm still not jazzed about Double Dragon IV but the developer comments on the website give a little perspective - the entire team for this game was the five guys they mentioned in the first trailer (original director, character artist and musician plus a new programmer and producer) and even the earliest/simplest Technos brawlers from back in the day were made with at least 10 people, usually quite a few more. http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/dd4/

You'll be able to play as every character with lots of extra moves and the programmer says they're primarily taking after DD2 NES and DD Advance so I guess I'll give it a shot - it comes out tomorrow on PSN and the day after on Steam and it's not even $10 so what the hell, maybe they'll be able to afford to make a genuinely new DD game next time.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A new game came in the mail yesterday and I'm pretty excited to play it today

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I got pissed because it's not the first time you've jumped in and did your little taste police thing on something I said I liked and it gets kind of old. When someone's a dick to me I act like a dick in return, it's just how I was raised.

If you like a game worse than Altered Beast
Make sure you're not wanted by the
ARF! ARF! ARF! ARF!
TASTE POLICE

Seriously, it's dumb to hold grudges over differences of opinion in video games.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm still not jazzed about Double Dragon IV but the developer comments on the website give a little perspective - the entire team for this game was the five guys they mentioned in the first trailer (original director, character artist and musician plus a new programmer and producer) and even the earliest/simplest Technos brawlers from back in the day were made with at least 10 people, usually quite a few more. http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/dd4/

You'll be able to play as every character with lots of extra moves and the programmer says they're primarily taking after DD2 NES and DD Advance so I guess I'll give it a shot - it comes out tomorrow on PSN and the day after on Steam and it's not even $10 so what the hell, maybe they'll be able to afford to make a genuinely new DD game next time.

It's strange, but the thing that bothers me most about Double Dragon IV is the way they're using the weird top-heavy Double Dragon II sprites for the main characters. Just about every other Double Dragon gave them a more balanced look.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've noticed that an overwhelming amount of Chinese/Taiwanese games are about or inspired by Journey to the West or are fixated on ancient china/chinese mythology to like the exclusion of all other themes, is this due to one of their weird anti-videogame laws? Maybe something so they can claim it's educational? I know for a long time game consoles weren't allowed to be sold so famiclones and stuff had keyboards slapped on and marketed as educational computers, or you had stuff like the studyplay, a genesis clone/VCD player marketed as an english teaching device.

e:

Kid Fenris posted:

Seriously, it's dumb to hold grudges over differences of opinion in video games.

I just think there's ways to be cool about differences of opinion rather than act kinda passive aggressive about it. Honestly it's probably better to just be like "yo honestly I think that game sucks but you do you" than to be kind of belittling and weird about it, like whats even the point of that?

d0s fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 29, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

Curious what issues you had with this before? I got my cable but I appear to have sync issues. Only had a minute to plug it in so haven't tested much other than two sources (Genesis + Duo) to attempt to confirm that its not the console's fault:

This is my wiring:

It seems like it could be the fault of anyhting between the AV switch and TV I guess? (switch -> new rgb cable ->component converter)

Edit the Switchbox has a "VD" vertical sync too, hopefully that's not reqiured? http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/sony-pc1270.pdf
I think I found my problem - SCART connector is indeed wired direcitonally - composite/audio left/audio right are in one direction ("out") , I should just have to rewire them in the other direction ("in" so component to pin 20 instead of pin 19).

FWIW the ebay seller I bought the cable from ("wookieewin") responded immediately and offered to rewire it for $5, all of which seems more than fair, so name dropping him here as LQQK A++ WOULD BUY AGAIN style recommendation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I inherited a PS1 today. I'm not super interested in collecting for it, since I never had one when they were current-gen, but there are a few games I'd like to play.

Is a modchip the only way to get a PS1 to read CD-R's or is there some other way in these modern times?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Kea posted:

I last installed hyperspin like a year ago but i remember you had to be very specific with paths and the versions of emulators you were using, im pretty sure there was a variety of pre setup configs for each one. I gave up with hyperspin on my emulation machine and just installed LAKKA, which is basically just retroarch and a lightweight distro to run it.

You can use a utility like ProcMon to find all the configuration files and registry entries Hyperspin / RocketLauncher is touching when performing an action, like launching a game. It was the only way I could discover all of the necessary configuration files I needed to edit... total pain in the rear end.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

fishmech posted:

Uh what? There's no job. The emulator is already written, they just need to put up a ROM to download. No source code mucking about or recompiling is needed.

The only ones that needed a level of game specific support were some N64 titles on the Wii, mostly because the system was too slow for a single generic emulator for the N64. However you could inject other N64 roms into most of those and they'd run fine.

It's more that to even get to a popular game it takes years and years from a console's release. Like take Dig Dug for instance. The NES game wasn't released in North America through Virtual Console until 2008,and then they didn't release Dig Dug II for the NES to the virtual console until 2016 on the Wii U.

Not to mention that there's nothing forcing Nintendo to require ESRB ratings for these downloadable titles, just like Steam doesn't require it nor did Microsoft require it for XBLIG titles (it's a requirement for local ratings boards to check things in some other countries, but who cares?).

It costs money to pay people to do work. Here is just some of the work required to "upload a ROM" on Virtual Console:

- Negotiating licensing terms
- Due diligence on the cleanliness of the ROM
- Filling out many, many forms
- Back-and-forth QA
- Submission fees
- ESRB poo poo (lol at your thinking that Nintendo would not require this)
- Ratings for any other country you plan to sell the game in
- More back-and-forth QA
- "No, seriously, the game really does slow down during that part on the original system, that's not our fault."
- "No, we can't fix it for you, but thanks for taking two weeks to reply to that last email."

Now, let's look at what a ROM actually sells:

http://steamspy.com/app/426630

This is Bubsy, which isn't all that obscure, on Steam, a platform that by and large has a better sellthrough than a Nintendo digital storefront. 15k-ish owners at a price point between $1.99 and $4.99: https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/426630/bubsy-two-fur

Let's be SUPER GENEROUS and say that they sold 15,000 copies at the full $4.99 price, and literally no one bought it during a sale/in a bundle/etc. That puts us at $75k in revenue. Take away Steam's cut, that's $52k in revenue.

That $52k in revenue has to pay everyone for their time on this project and provide a profit. In the case of these Bubsy guys, they might have done okay (easy submission on Steam, probably working out of someone's house, etc.). But if you're a traditional Japanese publisher and your man-month overhead cost to pay your in-office employees is like $10-15k, that $52k doesn't get you very far and is, in most cases, not worth the opportunity cost when your people could have been working on something worth a drat.

I'm not saying there's not a better way, and that we can't get to the point where all anyone has to do is "upload a ROM," but if you think that's going to happen on a platform owned by Nintendo you're naive.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is a modchip the only way to get a PS1 to read CD-R's or is there some other way in these modern times?

Nope! You can get a game enhancer/goldfinger device (if you have an original grey PS1)

Be sure to get one that includes a spring to hold the lid sensor down, or rig something up yourself. Examples on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322405869834
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162342557150

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I've noticed that an overwhelming amount of Chinese/Taiwanese games are about or inspired by Journey to the West or are fixated on ancient china/chinese mythology to like the exclusion of all other themes, is this due to one of their weird anti-videogame laws? Maybe something so they can claim it's educational? I know for a long time game consoles weren't allowed to be sold so famiclones and stuff had keyboards slapped on and marketed as educational computers, or you had stuff like the studyplay, a genesis clone/VCD player marketed as an english teaching device.

It's just because it's a classic story that most people know. And if you want other stuff, you mostly just played pirated versions of the games coming out of Japan/America. Or occasionally, demakes of said games out of Japan/America.

If for whatever reason the UK had been in a similar situation, they'd probably have a lot of lovely King Arthur/Robin Hood story based games. I don't know what America would do, westerns?

TheRedEye posted:

It costs money to pay people to do work. Here is just some of the work required to "upload a ROM" on Virtual Console:

- Negotiating licensing terms
- Due diligence on the cleanliness of the ROM
- Filling out many, many forms
- Back-and-forth QA
- Submission fees
- ESRB poo poo (lol at your thinking that Nintendo would not require this)
- Ratings for any other country you plan to sell the game in
- More back-and-forth QA
- "No, seriously, the game really does slow down during that part on the original system, that's not our fault."
- "No, we can't fix it for you, but thanks for taking two weeks to reply to that last email."
:words:
I'm not saying there's not a better way, and that we can't get to the point where all anyone has to do is "upload a ROM," but if you think that's going to happen on a platform owned by Nintendo you're naive.

This is kind of my whole complaint with the service. Nintendo makes it needlessly complicated, and refuses to change it because they're Nintendo.

Just because Nintendo decided to make a whole huge hassle to put each game up, doesn't mean it's work that actually needed to be done.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

It's just because it's a classic story that most people know. And if you want other stuff, you mostly just played pirated versions of the games coming out of Japan/America. Or occasionally, demakes of said games out of Japan/America.

If for whatever reason the UK had been in a similar situation, they'd probably have a lot of lovely King Arthur/Robin Hood story based games. I don't know what America would do, westerns?

I'm not sure what similar situation you're referring to as both the US and UK both develop games and have a wide range of imports available and somehow manage to make games about a wide range of topics. I'm just wondering what it is about their situation specifically that seems to limit their output to really specific things

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

Nope! You can get a game enhancer/goldfinger device (if you have an original grey PS1)

Be sure to get one that includes a spring to hold the lid sensor down, or rig something up yourself. Examples on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322405869834
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162342557150

This thing is the best because it acts as a gameshark and it streams media directly off the disc. It's how I saw the hidden South Park clip in Tiger Woods, the bath cutscenes in Lunar without going through the bullshit to get the soap, and there's some weird unused demo cinematics in Tomb Raider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat, do the make those for the 9001 models? That's what I have and there is no wide serial port on it, just the small one

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you don't have a PS1 with a parallel port, you're kinda hosed and just have to get a modchip or a new PS1.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

fishmech posted:

This is kind of my whole complaint with the service. Nintendo makes it needlessly complicated, and refuses to change it because they're Nintendo.

I wonder how it would go if a company wanted to release Genesis games (like, say, the Renovation catalog) on the Sega Classics Steam lineup, the one that openly invited ROM hacks and whatnot. Of course, Sega hasn't done much with that themselves since the launch.

d0s posted:

I just think there's ways to be cool about differences of opinion rather than act kinda passive aggressive about it. Honestly it's probably better to just be like "yo honestly I think that game sucks but you do you" than to be kind of belittling and weird about it, like whats even the point of that?

I don't think I was passive-aggressive. I even offered to (re)try one of the games you mentioned. And it's just my opinion, anyway.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

drat, do the make those for the 9001 models? That's what I have and there is no wide serial port on it, just the small one

There was an "import" boot CD out there called Breaker Pro that works on the original PS2 (for PS1 games), 9xxx, and PS One models. It even came with all the tools needed for each of those consoles to trick the CD drives.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I even offered to (re)try one of the games you mentioned.

To me, that was the part that came off as passive aggressive ("when I see it on the cheap racks" etc) but if you honestly didn't mean it that way then I'm sorry I misinterpreted it, and over reacted.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I must say thanks to who ever posted the link to the Golden Sun LP. It's refreshing to skim through it and realize I didn't miss anything by not playing it (it's been recommended to me before too). Of course that doesn't make up for the fact I'm getting close to finishing Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure on DS which has the polar opposite problems: Short, simple plot, no puzzles, but still repetitive and a high encounter rate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I'm not sure what similar situation you're referring to as both the US and UK both develop games and have a wide range of imports available and somehow manage to make games about a wide range of topics. I'm just wondering what it is about their situation specifically that seems to limit their output to really specific things

I'm talking about like an alternate universe. If the US and UK development scene was like China i.e. mostly just making pirate hacks in the local language and a small amount of native titles.

If China and Taiwan had been big fully-legit software development places all along, they probably wouldn't have such a preponderance of Journey to the West and other heavily local-mythology based games. You'd have plenty of the generic sort of games being made.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

I'm talking about like an alternate universe. If the US and UK development scene was like China i.e. mostly just making pirate hacks in the local language and a small amount of native titles.

If China and Taiwan had been big fully-legit software development places all along, they probably wouldn't have such a preponderance of Journey to the West and other heavily local-mythology based games. You'd have plenty of the generic sort of games being made.

Ohh OK I gotcha. Though I think that the US or UK wouldn't lean quite so heavily on history in a similar situation and just do whatever appeals to more modern but still region specific fixations like the US would do nothing but games about war and football or whatever. I'm more interested in the cultural reasons why china's focus seems to be purely historical, like is it because the people who would be interested in playing a china developed game rather than a western/japanese import are really into china itself and want proud nationalistic stories? Or is it because the developers fear censorship so they play it as safe as possible so they can continue to make games?

edit: like I understand your reason that games are narrowly focused but I'm just wondering why that specific focus instead of a million other things that would appeal to the chinese just as much or more

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't really have an answer for you but I imagine you see so many Chinese/Taiwanese bootleg games themed around Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin, etc because those are all well-worn narratives that people know inside out and they serve as a useful shorthand for new experiences like games - everyone knows the characters and the general milieu so you can use them to frame lots of different genres and people will immediately understand what they're about and what they're supposed to do, whereas creating something new and appealing that people will buy sight unseen is much more difficult, especially when you're competing with bootlegs of original games from all over the world that are going to be way more polished.

I suspect you didn't see that as much in Europe and the UK because the sheer volume of output was so much higher, so the mega-local stuff was drowned out by arcade clones and weird student games and what have you. Conversely, Brazil's domestic console output was much lower so a much higher percentage of that stuff is tailored to that region: celebrity licenses, cartoon/comic licenses, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UnhandledException posted:

There was an "import" boot CD out there called Breaker Pro that works on the original PS2 (for PS1 games), 9xxx, and PS One models. It even came with all the tools needed for each of those consoles to trick the CD drives.

I'll check that out.

Uhhhhh

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

celebrity licenses, cartoon/comic licenses, etc.

see this is what sticks out to me, it's more what I would expect out of a hyperlocal thing than literal ancient history, but maybe it's a western mindset where a lot of us would consider that kind of lame but maybe not so much in a place where ancestor "worship" etc is so prevalent

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll check that out.

Uhhhhh

No free shipping? What a rip-off. Dealbreaker.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I use swap magic on PS2 or whatever the equivalent disc swap thing is. Play burned discs and for PS2 games you can load them from the HDD.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

Ohh OK I gotcha. Though I think that the US or UK wouldn't lean quite so heavily on history in a similar situation and just do whatever appeals to more modern but still region specific fixations like the US would do nothing but games about war and football or whatever. I'm more interested in the cultural reasons why china's focus seems to be purely historical, like is it because the people who would be interested in playing a china developed game rather than a western/japanese import are really into china itself and want proud nationalistic stories? Or is it because the developers fear censorship so they play it as safe as possible so they can continue to make games?

edit: like I understand your reason that games are narrowly focused but I'm just wondering why that specific focus instead of a million other things that would appeal to the chinese just as much or more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_gaming_in_China#Censorship

Apparently, the console ban went into effect in 2000 and was rescinded a bit in 2015.

I suspect censorship concerns still loom in the minds of Chinese developers. Something like "Journey To The West" or "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" are fantastic, historical, and clean enough to skirt getting some bureaucrat in Beijing all astir. I also suspect that the upheaval, chaos, and governmental gatekeeping (of both foreign influences and the content of domestic works) through the 20th century probably also served to stifle the development of a strong local media industry and the culture that swirls around it and can lead to fertile cross-pollination, refinement, and syncretism. This isn't to say that a Chinese developer couldn't come up with something fresh and more contemporary in tone, but between censorship concerns and economic practicalities, the motivation and passion to really try and do that probably isn't there.

Taiwan is probably the same way, having been a country under authoritarian military rule (with all that implies) until the late 1980s. Add in its own economic and politically heavy-handed travails up to that point along with the general population size, and the same situation probably applies as in China. Even if there aren't as many restrictions, the local media industry and culture is probably still small and nascent at this point and it has to contend with regional and international juggernauts (Japan, South Korea, the US) in that arena. Which, again, isn't to say that Taiwanese developers couldn't come up with something fresh and decidedly non-historically Chinese in tone, but they'd have to put in a lot of effort and resources to stand out against something from a major Japanese or US studio. Aim high and fall short, or aim low and maybe rise high? I can see the logic in just pushing out something drawn from "Journey To The West" or whatever on the cheap and easy and hoping that it being a native Mandarin game (likely with a predominantly Mandarin-speaking player base, for stuff that is online) will rake in enough money to make at least a small profit with.

That's my attempt at an in-depth exploration of the subject, at least. I'm sure there are other factors, but I've probably rambled enough at this point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

see this is what sticks out to me, it's more what I would expect out of a hyperlocal thing than literal ancient history, but maybe it's a western mindset where a lot of us would consider that kind of lame but maybe not so much in a place where ancestor "worship" etc is so prevalent

There's that aspect but there's also a more practical reason: if you try to rip off a domestic celebrity or IP then you run the risk of being shut down but the classic Chinese texts are public domain so you can do whatever the hell you want with them and noone will give a poo poo.

It's not Chinese or a bootleg game but Codename STEAM on 3DS is a good example of a developer pitching a historical fantasy game to the west in a very tone-deaf manner only to learn that people really aren't as interested in their own history over here - maybe it's been supplanted by mainstream movie/tv, maybe people think their countries are too young to have interesting histories or are simply boring, maybe people are afraid to depict real events for fear of controversy from idiots, etc.

Japan's penchant for depicting Oda Nobunaga as Literally Just Dracula is always good for a laugh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I don't really have an answer for you but I imagine you see so many Chinese/Taiwanese bootleg games themed around Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin, etc because those are all well-worn narratives that people know inside out and they serve as a useful shorthand for new experiences like games - everyone knows the characters and the general milieu so you can use them to frame lots of different genres and people will immediately understand what they're about and what they're supposed to do, whereas creating something new and appealing that people will buy sight unseen is much more difficult, especially when you're competing with bootlegs of original games from all over the world that are going to be way more polished.

I suspect you didn't see that as much in Europe and the UK because the sheer volume of output was so much higher, so the mega-local stuff was drowned out by arcade clones and weird student games and what have you. Conversely, Brazil's domestic console output was much lower so a much higher percentage of that stuff is tailored to that region: celebrity licenses, cartoon/comic licenses, etc.

d0s posted:

I mean I came up with the King Arthur/Robin Hood one for the UK, because if you look at the kind of games that were poo poo out all over their various home computer system sin the 80s, you see those two things crop up a lot. On top of the generic space shooter/generic platformer/generic sports game trifecta of course, but you can see how if there were already a lot of those games available the King Arthur/Robin Hood stuff would really stand out.

d0s posted:

What caused that to be the one that sticks is probably just because the first couple games that tried it sold really well? Pretty much why any other video game trend catches on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Japan's penchant for depicting Oda Nobunaga as Literally Just Dracula is always good for a laugh.

Oda Nobunaga made the cardinal sin of using firearms and so he is Japan's historical devil.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll check that out.

Uhhhhh

You can have mine for half.

al-azad posted:

I use swap magic on PS2 or whatever the equivalent disc swap thing is. Play burned discs and for PS2 games you can load them from the HDD.

That's if you want to play PS2 games. AFAIK, you still can't play PS1 games from the HDD. (There's a PS1 emulator, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
IDK if swap magic works on PSX or where mine are but if I ever do find them you can just pay me shipping (I probably won't ever find them)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

UnhandledException posted:

You can have mine for half.

That's if you want to play PS2 games. AFAIK, you still can't play PS1 games from the HDD. (There's a PS1 emulator, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

I wasn't clear enough in specifying this but yes, you can't play PS1 games off the HDD. But the person I'm responding to wants to play burned discs and the PS2 is an all-in-one option.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

al-azad posted:

It's how I saw the hidden South Park clip in Tiger Woods.

I'm curious about poo poo like that. Is there a technical reason to include that, like to push game data to the outer edges of the disc? Or was it just "we've got 650 megs on the disc, might as well use all of them."

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

Oda Nobunaga made the cardinal sin of using firearms and so he is Japan's historical devil.

And according to Shingen the Ruler on the NES said Shingen had a wife that popped out more kids than the entire quiver full movement. Just with a way better combat system than the Koei games of that timeframe. I still do want one of the Genghis Khan games though. I like the idea of playing as Byzantium and poo poo at the end of the empire. The only ones I have gotten was L Empeurer on the NES and RoTK on the Amiga. Except the manual is lost and I'd rather have Destiny of an Emperor for the 3 Kingdoms thingie. Also no option to play as LADY OSCAR SAMA in LE. (Hey if Jeanne D Arc could pull some historical bullshit why can't a Koei game using a fake character?)

Yet now Koei only seems to make Nobunaga or 3K games in that series style. And I have heard tales of real time combat which is bad.

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind getting Liberty or Death either. Goddamnit more poo poo to look out for. Bad enough I am never gonna find Carnage Heart in a store...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm curious about poo poo like that. Is there a technical reason to include that, like to push game data to the outer edges of the disc? Or was it just "we've got 650 megs on the disc, might as well use all of them."

Nah, it was probably someone on the staff who thought it would be funny. No company would knowingly commit copyright infringement.

• Locked thread