Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

lol at every bitchy shitpost you make, Chomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Wandle Cax posted:

idgi, overpriced DLC aside, as far as i can tell ubisoft support their games very well with updates and fixes continuing long after release. at least the sequel will be excellent too

Yeah they do support them in that aspect but this is Ubisoft we're talking about. If this was another publisher it would be done about 50 loving times better. The same company that poo poo out garbage cookie cutter open world games year after year and was the laughing stock of the industry for years, and still is in some aspects.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
:lol: it's P2P? I didn't know much about this game, just clicked the email and said why not. That explains some of the game ending connection errors that would crop up here and there. Like when I'd be losing against some higher level dude, and then: *pulls an infinite Conqueror combo* :mmmhmm:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah the P2P is generally ok for Duel and Brawl but goodness gracious does it dump all over Dominion.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

mellowjournalism posted:

:lol: it's P2P? I didn't know much about this game, just clicked the email and said why not. That explains some of the game ending connection errors that would crop up here and there. Like when I'd be losing against some higher level dude, and then: *pulls an infinite Conqueror combo* :mmmhmm:

Conqueror has an infinite combo though, one of the few.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Conqueror is the one I have the most trouble with as nobushi. Not really sure how to get through his defences. It's the unblockable shield charge after the swing that always catches me out. Just need to side dodge and pressure with guard breaks more.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Conqueror is the one I have the most trouble with as nobushi. Not really sure how to get through his defences. It's the unblockable shield charge after the swing that always catches me out. Just need to side dodge and pressure with guard breaks more.

Conqueror can't really touch a good Nobushi though. The only attack that can somewhat reliably hit is the charge heavy, but that is the most telegraphed attack in the game so just run away until they canel it or run out of stamina. If the Conqueror gets in range to spam shield bashes, the Nobushi has already hosed up.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Warlord headbutt spam and Peacekeeper stabs have got to be the most cancerous bullshit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

Warlord headbutt spam and Peacekeeper stabs have got to be the most cancerous bullshit

My favorite thing about the Nobushi is that she just shits on Peacekeepers that are used to just going full-auto without any regards to circumstance.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

Conqueror can't really touch a good Nobushi though. The only attack that can somewhat reliably hit is the charge heavy, but that is the most telegraphed attack in the game so just run away until they canel it or run out of stamina. If the Conqueror gets in range to spam shield bashes, the Nobushi has already hosed up.

True, only one of my friends plays conqueror and I haven't really played against him enough to learn his attacks & timings properly before the beta ended. I know I'll figure it out after release.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This game is gonna be a sure buy for me just for the 1v1 mode, all the other stuff will be fun side-attractions. My biggest fear is that they will charge $5++ for future characters with no way to purchase them with in-game currency, which would really suck. If they stick to just making stuff you have to purchase with $$$ to cosmetic or boost type things, I'll be fine with whatever they do.

As far as the p2p is concerned, I have to say that this has to be one of the smoothest games of this type I have ever played, network-wise. I saw this game was p2p in this thread and I immediately grimaced at the thought of the kind of issues I was going to run into. After playing for around 15 hours this weekend though, I only ran into 1 or 2 situations where I thought I had a lag issue, and even then I wasn't completely certain that lag was the issue at all. Everything always felt extremely responsive and fair, at least in 1v1, which is primarily where I played. Anyone concerned about the networking who are primarily picking this up for 1v1 - don't be.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

panda clue posted:

This game is gonna be a sure buy for me just for the 1v1 mode, all the other stuff will be fun side-attractions. My biggest fear is that they will charge $5++ for future characters with no way to purchase them with in-game currency, which would really suck. If they stick to just making stuff you have to purchase with $$$ to cosmetic or boost type things, I'll be fine with whatever they do.

They appear to have literally copied the Rainbow Six Siege monetization scheme down to the details, so probably you'll be able to unlock the in-game characters with about 10-15 hours of gameplay apiece.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

They appear to have literally copied the Rainbow Six Siege monetization scheme down to the details, so probably you'll be able to unlock the in-game characters with about 10-15 hours of gameplay apiece.

This is great news.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

OctaMurk posted:

At least the headbutt has a bit of warning and does little but push you vs Peacekeeper's variety of ways to make your hp go down fast.

-Me, a guy who played Peacekeeper 80% of the time and was terrible at every other class.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Warlord headbutt spam

This is the most broken thing that I encountered over beta; how do you counter this? Can you counter it? I couldn't figure out how to deal with it as a Peacekeeper, no matter how hard I tried.

OctaMurk posted:

Peacekeeper stabs

Are you referring to the triple-stab on guardbreak? That does way, way too much damage for how easy it is to pull off, and I fully expect that to get cut back.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

panda clue posted:

Are you referring to the triple-stab on guardbreak? That does way, way too much damage for how easy it is to pull off, and I fully expect that to get cut back.

That along with the peacekeeper's heavy followup bleed and general high-speed swings/combos in general make them really easy to be effective with in a game like this. Not to mention the insane chasing ability of the leaping stab. It can even parry!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

unlock the in-game characters with about 10-15 hours of gameplay apiece.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

amusingly, 'please gently caress off' is also the answer ubisoft gives to that question

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The beta was fun, but I have a feeling the price is going to drop faster than Evolve's price did.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Sammus posted:

The beta was fun, but I have a feeling the price is going to drop faster than Evolve's price did.

Depends on how the casual crowd takes it. Assuming they will flock to dominion and not 1v1

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I owned all peacekeepers i faced using nothing more than the warden and the raider, maybe they just didn't know what they were doing

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

I owned all peacekeepers i faced using nothing more than the warden and the raider, maybe they just didn't know what they were doing

Every peacekeeper I met opened with the overhead lunge which I guess works great against every character except the Warden who punishes it instantly with the R1 parry

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Zaphod42 posted:

lol at every bitchy shitpost you make, Chomp

I audibly sighed when you posted begging like a complete bitch for a beta key like it was lifesaving medicine early on itt. What a surprise I skip to the end of the thread and you're still here, being blatantly wrong and posting about posting. You make every loving thread you post in so, so much worse.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Captain Beans posted:

Conqueror has an infinite combo though, one of the few.

I..yes? yes. it rules. especially when you pull it off on a peacekeeper/ninja-guy, and then they ragequit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this game had grown on me tremendously

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gay Horney posted:

I audibly sighed when you posted begging like a complete bitch for a beta key like it was lifesaving medicine early on itt. What a surprise I skip to the end of the thread and you're still here, being blatantly wrong and posting about posting. You make every loving thread you post in so, so much worse.

Bonus points: I never saw that post until you quoted it. I've had that idiot on my ignore list for months. I don't know or care what he posts about me but apparently he still takes pot shots.

Zaphod: I've made it clear in the past that I have no desire to interact with you. Please do not direct posts towards me. I don't see them (unless quoted obv).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubN8qYjXZ2s

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I was ready to drop this game an hour in... Thought the combat was messy and the gamemodes super unengaging

But now? I fuckin love it

I think if you are interested in the combat system primarily and learning all the intricacies of it over time, then that is going to keep you entertained long enough for the game to earn its 60 dollar pricetag..

Just be aware that it might be super frustrating during your first few moments (in 4v4) because you'll be spending those getting gangbanged by more experienced players and it'll feel supershitty and like the game is just a clusterfuck of "pile on the solo guy!"... Which is definitely a part of it, but as you get more experienced you'll learn to avoid those situations and you'll team up more with your teammates and it'll become quite a complex team oriented actionfest... Just about nothing beats interrupting the guy who is about to destroy your teammate and then shieldbashing him into a mote full of spikes instead :allears:

The combat system is SUPER deep, way deeper than first meets the eye. I've seen people pull off some real ninja poo poo and even managed to do some myself. The tutorial does not go over half of it. Fortunately there are literally videos in game showing all the moves, for ALL the classes, both basic and advanced. I recommend watching those

I was going up against a conqueror who just obliterated me and my friend, despite us attacking in concert. He knocked us around, blocked our poo poo and then tossed me off a ledge. Even though I got completely owned it was so beautiful to watch lol so I wasn't even that mad. Though I only tolerated it because I recognized what the other player was doing

When I was new I couldn't recognize anything the opposing players did so I didn't see the subtle attack cancelling or positioning or comboing that I see now, I just saw the:siren: clusterfuck.:siren:

The combat system is going to take a lot of time to master and it's realllllly scratching the competitive itch I got

SO

if you like being competitive, if you like deep melee systems and the primary draw is the combat itself, then I'd say this is a good buy... but it takes getting used to. I only thought it got really fun once I got pretty good and could hold my own in dominion

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 30, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm glad of it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*flails someones head clean off*

Just the fact that I get to use a flail in a videogame again is pure gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AulQXy4jlDY&t=18s

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 30, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is there any footage out there of the Lawbringer and the Valkyrie? There's some out there for the Shugoki but for the other 2 a cursory google isn't showing much other than the official class trailers.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

if you like being competitive, if you like deep melee systems and the primary draw is the combat itself, then I'd say this is a good buy... but it takes getting used to. I only thought it got really fun once I got pretty good and could hold my own in dominion

Yeah i almost never buy a game brand new but i'm still itching to play this after the beta. I think the deep combat system rewards skill and makes you want to keep playing to get better at it, and when you lose it's not so bad because generally it's because you lost fair and square. It's much more fun for me than a shooter where i die instantly every 5 seconds, at least here i have a chance to fight.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game is pretty good and fun, dominion is a bit of a clusterfuck and could really benefit from heavier punishment for fleeing players - if the maps were bigger, and you were out of the fight longer after you ran away (like in most MOBAs) that'd be a good fix. Also faction war really is a pointless boondoggle.

1v1s and 2v2s are good enough to sell the game for me, but only just since the price-point is pretty high for what they've included. How do they not have a king-of-the-hill style rolling duel mode in this? As someone posted earlier, agree 100% that it's super dumb to restrict the modes so much, it's a royal pain when you have 3 or 5 in a group.

Seeing Zaphod join another thread and poo poo it up with relentless (and thoughtless) fanboyism, wonderful.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Prawned posted:

Game is pretty good and fun, dominion is a bit of a clusterfuck and could really benefit from heavier punishment for fleeing players - if the maps were bigger, and you were out of the fight longer after you ran away (like in most MOBAs) that'd be a good fix. Also faction war really is a pointless boondoggle.

Yeah i guess the faction war is just a way to give some context and motivation to random duels and such but it could do with being explained better.

Any indication of how long the single player campaign will be? I'm guessing not that long but from videos it does look like more than just the multi with bots, it's got cutscenes and everything. Could be fun because the AI seems decent.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
King of the hill game mode where contestans enter in and stand around a ring, like fight club. You gotta fight the king and if you beat him you become king

Swarm game mode where you and up to 3 buds fight off increasing waves of enemy A.I, like in Mass Effect MP

Clusterfuck game mode where it's 12vs12 on a large map and one team defends a bunch of objectives in stages and one team attacks

They could add so much

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there any footage out there of the Lawbringer and the Valkyrie? There's some out there for the Shugoki but for the other 2 a cursory google isn't showing much other than the official class trailers.

Probably not. Those three have only really been available during the heavily NDA's technical test, so any non-official footage would be risking a banning. The Valkyrie played a bit like a mix between nobushi and warlord. Lots of hopping around and poking, interspersed with knockdowns and staggers. Lawbringer was fairly defensively oriented, with several moves that follow off of a successful parry and a bunch of ways to render the opponent prone or push him around raider-style.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

I do not believe the word content means what you think it means. I believe the word you're looking is variety.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

panda clue posted:

This is the most broken thing that I encountered over beta; how do you counter this? Can you counter it? I couldn't figure out how to deal with it as a Peacekeeper, no matter how hard I tried.

Easy. First it's interruptable by quick attacks, as long as you're not balls deep in him every hero should be able to stop it. Second, have you tried dodging? The tracking on that headbutt is pretty shite.

Zzulu posted:

King of the hill game mode where contestans enter in and stand around a ring, like fight club. You gotta fight the king and if you beat him you become king

You mean every time you just stand on the enemy natural point in dominion and engage them in glorious 1v3 combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I gotta get better at dodging. I've met characters who enter the matrix every time I try to hit them and literally all my attacks miss constantly. It's so frustrating and I want to be able to do it