Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

suuma posted:

Is there a reason an official DAoC TLP shard can't have the same success? Seems like with the Nostalrius fiasco there's some interest in official 'vintage' MMOs.

e: I played DAoC but not a lot so I'm not sure what eras are good/bad

I imagine DAOC live is just barely in the black. It'd simultaneously explain why EA hasn't killed it, why they haven't tried to defend the IP, and why they're totally disinterested in trying a classic server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
TLP on DaoC makes no sense, especially as progressing is exactly what the true nostalgic players don't want.

EQ TLP servers are highly successful, up until 2003-2004 expansion is reached. Then the nostalgia fades.

If EA had launched a paid classic server with proper support i'm sure it would get flooded. But I don't think they still have any programmers working on the thing.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Uthgard just migrated to a beefier server and now the server cap is at 4100. So the queue isn't too bad now.\

My ranger is at 30 and I still haven't rvr'd.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I liked this game back in the day. Is the grind really as bad as I remember? I remember hating the class I picked but thinking 'gently caress leveling something else, I'm not going through that again', and that was when I actually had free time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Leveling is very fast now on live.
About as bad as you remember on Uthgard, but there are plenty of people to find groups with right now.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
The Uthgard grind is definitely as bad as you remember. Live servers not at all, you can solo on basically any toon to 50 in under 10 hours. If you're already established, it's pretty easy to get to 50, templated, and ready to kick heads in in about 8 hours.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah I was thinking of Uthgard since people seem to actually be playing at lowish levels. Also it's based on when I used to play so I can potentially poo poo all over my nostalgia clouded fond memories of the game.

e: also it's free

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2017

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The grind is real, but come check it out anyway!
There are over 4000 people playing, easy to jump in and get a group.
When it stops being fun, just quit, you've got nothing to lose ^^

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I tried but for me the grind was just too slow.
I vastly preferred the Genesis exp model.

Also with the total lack of easy to obtain leveling gear playing a mellee was even harder. And I did not feel like leveling a Necro to buy the gear for the class I want to eventually play.

I'm glad the server is doing well though. If I ever find myself with way too much spare time I might still jump in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know if there's some way to scale the UI? I'm playing a bit on Uthgard and @ 4k resolution things are VERY VERY small.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
How is the population looking across factions? I played Albion way back in the day but kinda want to roll on Mid or Hib but not if I'm just going to get rolled in RvR because everyone and their mother is on Alb.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
just about all the hardcore live 8man players rolled mid, but other than that the actual population distribution is fairly even according to the devs.

At this patch level, mid was definitely the easiest to build a group in, followed by hib, with alb requiring pretty specific classes. Chances are if you don't know good players already in alb, you will get farmed a lot.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Mid rvr group - Pac healer, Aug healer, shaman, skald, zerk, zerk, zerk, last spot zerk or runemaster. Pretty much unbeatable if player skill is equal.

I tried playing again last night since the queues are gone for me game times, but the grind is just not fun.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For uthgard, I was looking through the Alb melee styles and and it looks like the only anytime/rear snares are in the 2hand and polearm line. Am I missing anything? Is there any good way for the one hand melee classes (or lol friars) to peel that I am missing?

I guess Mercs can spec slam.... How long do immunity timers last?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This game is pretty funny. I died about 5 times before I killed something. The first time I couldn't figure out how to auto-attack. The next bunch was because there were no 'blue' con monsters around so I attacked yellows. Really shows the difference between the 'old school' starting experience and now.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This game is pretty funny. I died about 5 times before I killed something. The first time I couldn't figure out how to auto-attack. The next bunch was because there were no 'blue' con monsters around so I attacked yellows. Really shows the difference between the 'old school' starting experience and now.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one staring at my keyboard trying to remember how to attack something. Freakin' tilde key! :argh:

I also completely forgot, how much questing is there in this game? I half expected it to be like every other MMO where you get dropped in and immediately you are presented with a quest chain that leads you from zone to zone. It's been so long that I don't remember, but DAoC isn't like this I'm assuming? You just grind on mobs?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You can do kill tasks until level 20 which are just unintuitive kill random mob x for XP and coin. They get you at least half the XP you need to level.

Otherwise the epic quest chain is the only thing I know of to lead you around to other level appropriate areas. I think they are every five levels starting at 10.

There are a few other quests in there for items, but nothing like from WoW and beyond.

Re: kill tasks the direction the guard tells you to go is usually not the closest spawn of the mob and you should look up maps if you don't want to wander all around.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

CopperHound posted:

You can do kill tasks until level 20 which are just unintuitive kill random mob x for XP and coin. They get you at least half the XP you need to level.

Otherwise the epic quest chain is the only thing I know of to lead you around to other level appropriate areas. I think they are every five levels starting at 10.

There are a few other quests in there for items, but nothing like from WoW and beyond.

Thanks. Who gives the kill tasks? And do they have any indicator they have a task available like a exclamation over their head?

I'm realizing WoW has spoiled me in how hard I had to work to do stuff in an MMO haha.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 31, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

Thanks. Who gives the kill tasks?

'/Whisper task' to a named guard in an area that is about your level. They will tell you to kill some random mob within 2 hours.

The number of tasks you can do is equal to your level I.e. one at level one, five at level five.

If you don't like a task the only way to drop it is by letting it time out or by dying.

FYI the tradeskill masters offer crafting tasks too.

Use this to find the task mobs to kill: http://capnbry.net/daoc/

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 31, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

CopperHound posted:

'/Whisper task' to a named guard in an area that is about your level. They will tell you to kill some random mob within 2 hours.

The number of tasks you can do is equal to your level I.e. one at level one, five at level five.

If you don't like a task the only way to drop it is by letting it time out or by dying.

FYI the tradeskill masters offer crafting tasks too.

Use this to find the task mobs to kill: http://capnbry.net/daoc/

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar thank you.

I cannot believe I have forgotten all this stuff. I mean, it has been probably almost 15 years since I played but man I feel like such a newbie.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Started a hero on Uthgard and I'm liking it a lot more than I expected. I'm only level 5 and have no money and my equipment is terrible. Should I start crafting (can I even start crafting) or should I just try and buy stuff from NPC merchants? I'm not exactly sure how I'll ever be able to afford anything right now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Crafting is pretty expensive and time consuming. It isn't really worth it just for outfitting your character. It sucks starting off as a poor melee character on a young server. Before you buy from a merchant I would say you should try going to the crafting town (What is the hib equivalent of Cornwal station?) and begging for a set of low level armor and weapon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, it seems there isn't much of a choice but to rely on the kindness of others. NPC gear just costs way more than the money I earn.

edit: After spending a while standing around in TNN asking for a WC to make or sell me a ferrite sword I never got one reply. Even if a WC ever replies the mats will take most of the money I have and almost all of my armor is green so I guess I'm just out of luck. Maybe there are some monsters out there who drop level appropriate armor?

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2017

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
During beta, the only way my brother and I managed to keep in armour was by pooling our money and spending it all on his paladin's armour so he could tank, while my reaver used whatever we could find, though we did make sure we picked up as many OTD weapons as possible.

If you're not duoing with someone where you can pool money, rather than asking crafters to make stuff for you, you might do better to ask other heroes 5-10 levels ahead of you if they have any old armour they could sell you on the cheap. that usually was a good way to get stuff, because reselling crafted armour after using is is the only way to keep buying more as you level since you generally won't make enough to buy the higher tier.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
deleted all of my high level mids, went hibernia

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Welcome to the giant miniature golf course. I probably should have gone to Midgard since I mostly played Hibernia at live and I like the aesthetic a little better, but I've never liked bandwagoning on the winning team (on Uthgard anyway, not sure where you are playing).

edit:

angry muppet posted:

If you're not duoing with someone where you can pool money, rather than asking crafters to make stuff for you, you might do better to ask other heroes 5-10 levels ahead of you if they have any old armour they could sell you on the cheap. that usually was a good way to get stuff, because reselling crafted armour after using is is the only way to keep buying more as you level since you generally won't make enough to buy the higher tier.

That's a pretty good idea. It could potentially pay off since I've noticed mob item drops sell for peanuts. I wish I could find a list of Hibernian mobs that drop armor so that I could at least farm something at least slightly less terrible. For instance, I killed some lunantishees last night and ended up getting a reinforced hat and chest armor (as well as some crappy weapons).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

One time drops were a huge thing back in vanilla daoc. Look up a list of those and that should help gear you out a bit, though you'll probably have to go to the ends of the realm to get them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hmm, on one hand I'm enjoying Uthgard, but on the other the Origins server looks like it may be opening in the next couple of months with some nice quality of life changes.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Got a link for Origins?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

http://www.darkageoforigins.com/

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Those QoL changes on the Origins server don't exactly look extensive compared to Uthgard. I was expecting a few more features.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, there are probably some more things that would be nice but it should be a bit less painful than Uthgard (as long as the stability and bugs and such are handled as well). I am pretty impressed with how good Uthgard is from a server standpoint with so many people logged in simultaneously.

Also I was in my first DAoC group in 14 years or so last night in Muire Tomb and it was bad and so was I. I picked up an unexpected purple add that was killing out bard (yay!) but when the mentalist noticed and tried to mez I kept breaking it (boo!) while I was fumbling for the autoattack button.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Man, you guys weren't kidding on the grind. I got to level 3 (lol) and started going to town on some local mobs for what felt like a good chunk of time only to look down and see I wasn't even to the third bubble :stare:

This is painful...how did we do this back in the day?!

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

Man, you guys weren't kidding on the grind. I got to level 3 (lol) and started going to town on some local mobs for what felt like a good chunk of time only to look down and see I wasn't even to the third bubble :stare:

This is painful...how did we do this back in the day?!

Make sure you're doing tasks during that 1-5 stretch. Most mobs are very close to town and you get what I think is equivalent to 4-5 mob kills.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Migertantix posted:

Make sure you're doing tasks during that 1-5 stretch. Most mobs are very close to town and you get what I think is equivalent to 4-5 mob kills.

I will, thanks. I did one task, and it turned out to be a Fedex task to a place I had a bitch of a time finding so I got discouraged and just started killing mobs :(

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I recommend never doing tasks unless you are a class with speed, horrible down time, or are in a good tasking spot.

Even then, horrible down time people might earn exp faster not doing tasks.

Or just form a duo with someone nearby and forget tasks ever existed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what realm are most people on on Uthgard? I kind of have a pre-WOW MMO itch that needs scratching.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm on Albion along with kazval and a couple others... But I haven't seen them on in about a week.

I am Verdigris in game. Send me a message if you need some help with starting gear.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Decided to just do it.

Dwarf zerker on mid.

Veilless in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Can anyone with experience tell me how annoying twisting is with a bard? Of my low characters I like it the best so far, but that could be a deal breaker.

• Locked thread