Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
does ossoff stand a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh Hell No posted:

Got back from Jacksonville's Young Dems meeting a little while ago. Duval County is a big Republican stronghold in Florida (or as big a Republican stronghold as a large city in a swing state can be, anyway), but from the sounds of things the Democratic Party here is getting flooded with pissed-off millennials who are very into the idea of actually bothering to run candidates for every available seat. There's a proposed ordinance against LGBT employee discrimination that Dems here have been trying to push for years, and they're hoping it'll go through this time now that they've gotten a lot of local businesses and religious leaders on their side.

Oh my god. I'm actually a little proud of the place where I grew up now. I was in Ponte Vedra for like a decade and it sucked.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Got in touch with the Young Dems in my ME-2 county and so far it's been really heartening. The same day their Facebook group got up and running, the organizer used the platform to launch a rally at the airport to protest Trump's executive order. The rally was short notice, but still managed to drum up almost 500 in less than an hour. This is in a city of only 60,000. :getin:

Also over the weekend, we had the KKK leaving fliers overnight in immigrant neighborhoods in our state capital. I'm thinking of organizing a sort of leftist community watch, if only to look after neighborhoods like that and mosques and stuff.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Also over the weekend, we had the KKK leaving fliers overnight in immigrant neighborhoods in our state capital. I'm thinking of organizing a sort of leftist community watch, if only to look after neighborhoods like that and mosques and stuff.

That's not too dissimilar from the mission of "antifa" or "anti-fascists" aka the kind of guy who punched Richard Spencer. A little outside the mainstream but they're out there.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

My friend's Jewish school had a bomb threat called in, so I can only support this notion. Will also be looking for such an organization in my city.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Hey here's a list of upcoming townhalls:

https://twitter.com/lauraolin/status/826420454739042304

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

A friend of mine put together this video on NY state politics, and why it's critically important to be active at NY's state level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDhef9b_Ys

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Working on a project in AZ, you put in your zip code, you find your next entry level meeting with the Democratic party.

The other stuff will still be on a calendar, but if you just want to take the first step in, this will hold your hand to the door.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jerry seinfel posted:

A friend of mine put together this video on NY state politics, and why it's critically important to be active at NY's state level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDhef9b_Ys

Yo, post this here too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808450

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
http://ncase.me/polygons/

A powerful lesson on the effects of racism and segregation, and how it can leave all of society worse off without anyone involved actually being "bad" - even if the "racism" is simple "I would prefer it a small portion of those I lived next to were like me" and the individual is otherwise happier in diverse surroundings.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

http://ncase.me/polygons/

A powerful lesson on the effects of racism and segregation, and how it can leave all of society worse off without anyone involved actually being "bad" - even if the "racism" is simple "I would prefer it a small portion of those I lived next to were like me" and the individual is otherwise happier in diverse surroundings.

This is great. Thank you!

Got the info to run for an open seat in my local town council. There's also a county-level Dems meeting next weekend, and I'm going to pitch an idea for a community watch. BTW, if you're a Maine goon in Penobscot County, the Penobscot County Democratic Committee is meeting on Saturday, Feb. 11th at 10:30 AM. The meeting is at the Registry of Probate at the county courthouse (on Hammond Street in Bangor).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hey, just found this thread and am about to catch up. After reading the OP I have a question though- the tactics described in indivisible seem to be slightly at odds with what is described in this thread, so I'm wondering if that's an accurate analysis. Indivisible talks about learning from what the tea party did right- and a big part of that is a concerted, pointed agenda of "NO" rather than actively pushing what we're passionate about. It's hard because we're progressives and we want to shape the world to be how we think it could be better, but it's more practical when the republicans have all the power.

So my question is basically, do y'all here see the tactics of constant pressure on members of congress to stand against literally everything Trump pushes as 'democratic party participation' ? Or should I maybe make a thread for indivisible if I'm looking for advice and discussions related specifically to that one strategic agenda? Because that's what I'm really fired up about. Tips on organizing boots on the ground to pressure, pressure, pressure.

Like this. this poo poo owns.

Trash Trick has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Feb 4, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if we want change to last it's also gotta be from the bottom up

which is why some of us are aiming for low-level government positions because congresspeople might actually listen to those instead of constituents that may end up not voting

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if we want change to last it's also gotta be from the bottom up

which is why some of us are aiming for low-level government positions because congresspeople might actually listen to those instead of constituents that may end up not voting

Absolutely. I see it as two sides of the same coin. My question is mainly if I'd be better served making a thread specifically for resisting and only that, if that's what I am personally interested in.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Trash Trick posted:

Hey, just found this thread and am about to catch up. After reading the OP I have a question though- the tactics described in indivisible seem to be slightly at odds with what is described in this thread, so I'm wondering if that's an accurate analysis. Indivisible talks about learning from what the tea party did right- and a big part of that is a concerted, pointed agenda of "NO" rather than actively pushing what we're passionate about. It's hard because we're progressives and we want to shape the world to be how we think it could be better, but it's more practical when the republicans have all the power.

So my question is basically, do y'all here see the tactics of constant pressure on members of congress to stand against literally everything Trump pushes as 'democratic party participation' ? Or should I maybe make a thread for indivisible if I'm looking for advice and discussions related specifically to that one strategic agenda? Because that's what I'm really fired up about. Tips on organizing boots on the ground to pressure, pressure, pressure.

Like this. this poo poo owns.

It's a two-pronged strategy. Obstruction and pressuring politicians works right now because we're not going to have a chance to change the makeup of Congress in a while, but we need to ready candidates for 2018 to flip seats and primary Dems. A Tea Party movement only works if you can convince representatives that their seats are in real danger.

I don't see why stuff like Indivisible can't go here, especially now that DSA stuff has its own thread

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

It's a two-pronged strategy. Obstruction and pressuring politicians works right now because we're not going to have a chance to change the makeup of Congress in a while, but we need to ready candidates for 2018 to flip seats and primary Dems. A Tea Party movement only works if you can convince constituents that their seats are in real danger.

So it sounds like yes- a thread for discussing and organizing obstructionist efforts and tracking their successes would probably be cool and good? Since this one is more about prong 2?

e: Just saw your edit. It could go here for sure, I'm just thinking about the best way to consolidate information and have a clear conversation about those efforts, as I'm in the middle of gettin a group off the ground.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The tea party was succesful because they were able to carry out there threats and primary numerous prominent republicans when the party failed to fall into line.

So this thead is sort of towards that end already, but yeah any sort of conversation involving partipating in the democratic party process is welcome

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also a lot of the conversation actually happens in the Discord and I would be happy to add an indivisible channel or something if you wanted in addition to having more stuff to talk about it in the thread

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Also a lot of the conversation actually happens in the Discord and I would be happy to add an indivisible channel or something if you wanted in addition to having more stuff to talk about it in the thread

Discord is a chat program like ventrilo, right? When you say "conversation" do you mean live conversation? That might be cool. I also see a lot of value in a place to consolidate and give attention to all of the videos/events that come as a result of the activism though. The sense of it being a 'movement' is an important aspect, it seems to me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Discord does have voice chat but its usually not used, its more like a slack or an irc channel with a persistent history

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Discord does have voice chat but its usually not used, its more like a slack or an irc channel with a persistent history

Ohhhh okay. Cool. I'll try to hop in soon.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
nice

https://twitter.com/PostPolls/status/826780393475043330?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So I gave my resume to my county party chair, and he's handing it up to the state party chair, who I guess will be putting it in some sort of file they draw from when they need work done. Doubt much will come of that, but we'll see! I'm also talking to the few important people and new friends I know from the meetings to see if they need any workers in their offices and/or know of anyone who does. So, uh, if anyone here is in Williamson/Travis County, Texas and knows of some group or organization that needs tech support or whatever then let me know!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im phonebanking for john wisniewski (lol hes gonna get crushed)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay everyone - it's time to start running for poo poo and taking this party over.

Enter your address here to find out when your next local caucus date is
http://transformtheparty.com/

Our Revolution
It's time to transform the Democratic Party
There are thousands of positions of leadership within the Democratic Party up for grabs in the next two years, and we need real progressives like you filling them.
I am guessing it's not just MA
Here's the full list of MA caucuses
http://www.massdems.org/caucuses/2017-caucuses

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Weren't the elections all last month? I'm seeing Jan 7 2017 as the date on that site

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

Weren't the elections all last month? I'm seeing Jan 7 2017 as the date on that site

They vary from state to state and even county to country and town to town - unfortunately, yours may have already passed!

My local caucus isn't until next month, but there were some in my state that were held late january.

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Even if your local election has passed, the time to pressure the official is now.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Washington's elections are staggered throughout the winter, but I think the final election for party chair is supposed to be happening this month.

Someone on reddit put together a massive list of every single state office up for election this year that might be worth sharing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RBSMMtDEgrGaI4PghocLmMMCwr7M4ix3pJ56XWwiJ8k/edit#gid=430258101

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Had an Legislative District meeting today. Over the last four years, attendance has ranged from four to 20 people.
120 people showed up this time.

God dammit people, where have you been hiding! We could have used you for the last 8 years!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If its anything like me, they have been busy feeling ignored, unimportant, sidelined and unwanted and lacking in real political representation or purpose.

We are so incredibly lucky Bernie decided to run.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Phonebanked this evening for special elections. The candidates are meh, but hell it's Connecticut so I'm just here to stem the bleeding. Was consumed by dueling emotions all night, as the line I was on kept taking forever to connect or dropped my call because the CT Dems are too cheap to pay for a bigger VoIP package. But that was because we were full up on volunteers, which was nice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry, got an updated number. 160 people!

We were meeting in a parking lot a few years ago, just four of us bitching about politics and trying to figure out a permanent meeting spot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Discord has had some issues, users now need to be verified. Post here, send me a pm, speak The Words to me or another admin in a discord PM - whatever, this is just speed bump so that we don't have a constant stream of trolls.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Discord has had some issues, users now need to be verified. Post here, send me a pm, speak The Words to me or another admin in a discord PM - whatever, this is just speed bump so that we don't have a constant stream of trolls.

I just downloaded Discord for something else, so I'm up on there now. Is your server just for MA Dem goons, or is it for all goons ITT?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If we already joined the discord last month do we need to do it again?

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Discord is open to everyone just join up and say something! We might ask you to verify your username but you're not a troll we will add you to the vetted group.

If you already joined you're probably still there, just moved to the newbie channel.

sillyloquy has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Feb 10, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

I just downloaded Discord for something else, so I'm up on there now. Is your server just for MA Dem goons, or is it for all goons ITT?

Its nationwide

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also link is in the OP. Someone post it here. I am phone posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Its nationwide

GlyphGryph posted:

Also link is in the OP. Someone post it here. I am phone posting

Rad. I'll check it out later when I'm not working. Thanks!

• Locked thread