Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Thanks -- I'm in New York and we've got all week in the 40s and up so it's a perfect time to transition outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I made a blog post for the first time in months last night, so here are some pictures to share.

Drosera tomentosa with adorable fuzzy flower stalk.

Cute little Pinguicula esseriana.

Utricularia sandersonii blue form, the "Angry Bunnies".

Select clone of Nepenthes spathulata × jacquelineae.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Leperflesh posted:

I go out of my way to take pictures of bees. It's totally not relevant to this thread but if you would like to see some more bee pictures, just ask.

Actually it might be relevant because I'm pretty sure 100% of my bee pictures have plants in them?

Please post bees :3:

Kenning posted:

Your pictures are always incredible, but this little fuzzy guy is truly adorable.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kenning posted:

This thing is really neat... looks like it's made out of some sort of candy

Can you tell me about the... moss? growing around the plants? Did you collect that from outside or buy it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Enfys posted:

Your pictures are always incredible, but this little fuzzy guy is truly adorable.

:3:

Pham Nuwen posted:

This thing is really neat... looks like it's made out of some sort of candy

Can you tell me about the... moss? growing around the plants? Did you collect that from outside or buy it?

That is what it looks like, hahah. And the moss just...shows up. There are spores in peat moss, and they also just come in on other plants. You end up with quite a collection of moss in time, though most of it sucks, and eventually you need to thin it out if it starts to overwhelm the plants.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 26, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like my moss almost as much as I like most of my plants. I collect the stuff and throw it into random pots as ground cover.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Welp, I just did a little check up on the various plants that litter my apartment, and it's like a who's who of plant-killing bastard insects. I have:
-Fungus gnats and aphids (!) in my germinating box
-Scale insects on my agave and bay tree
-loving spider mites on my brugmansia cuttings

Bloody indoor gardening can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. :bang:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I made a blog post for the first time in months last night, so here are some pictures to share.

Look at these beautiful fae plants. The fact that they're actually carnivorous meat-eating plants just makes them even more like a fairy tale. :kimchi:

Might as well post some cool things that I've found on the internet.

https://suculentasminhas.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/sedum.html
This whole post could be pictures of beautiful sedums from that blog post, but I don't want to make this post too big. Give the link a click if you're interested more in the beauty of sedums!

http://shroom-girl.tumblr.com/post/50548347389/a-type-of-crassula-succulent
Are you kidding me? This wild, wonderful, noodle plant is related to a jade tree?

http://lets-talk-cacti.tumblr.com/post/145033914578/macodes-petila-this-orchid-has-modest-flowers

quote:

Macodes petila. This orchid has modest flowers but BEAUTIFUL foliage. The picture does no justice (as usual) but the leaves literally looks gilded with GOLD glitter. This is my first orchid 😊
I've been starting to dig the look of jewel orchids. While most orchids are only spectacular when they are in bloom, these are beautiful all year round.

http://succulents-and-cacti.tumblr.com/post/146301724810
:kiddo: A good, small succulent.

http://los-plantalones.tumblr.com/post/145215817064/echeveria-lilacina-x
A colorful echeveria lilacina plant.

http://los-plantalones.tumblr.com/post/152214671609/all-the-succulents-are-inside-until-next-spring
This is my dream arrangement for indoor growing. :swoon:

http://mijntuin.tumblr.com/post/147595163134/all-i-can-do-is-hope-it-will-not-get-much-bigger

quote:

All I can do is hope it will not get much bigger.
A person has been managing to grow an entire banana tree indoors for a while with success.

http://mijntuin.tumblr.com/post/150164428604/bought-vanilla-grass-pandan-with-roots-today-in

quote:

Bought vanilla grass (pandan) with roots today in the Asian supermarket. The leaves of this plant are used to give a vanilla aroma to rice, cake, curries and what not and it is easier to grow indoors than vanilla orchids (and easier to come by)
A source of fresh vanilla flavor whenever I want? Sign me up.

http://los-plantalones.tumblr.com/post/153095003905/sempervivum-in-a-repurposed-tree-stump
Lastly, a sempervivum that looks semper fi(ne).

Let me know if this post breaks on mobile. I'll fix it if it does.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

http://shroom-girl.tumblr.com/post/50548347389/a-type-of-crassula-succulent
Are you kidding me? This wild, wonderful, noodle plant is related to a jade tree?

This is an amazing post.

I want this weird noodle plant so much.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bees, from 2008, with my old point-and-shoot.
Album: http://imgur.com/a/kt3kt

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I am new, please forgive. I got some flowers and one of them is crazy fertile, I've never seen this from some store bought stuff before. I was nerdy curious and put some of the pollen on one of the stems of one of the other flowers and the whole thing turned orange. I am very sad that these flowers are just in a jar and have no bees to spread this ridiculous amount of pollen around, and they will not make more flowers :smith:

In this post I really just want to nerd about about the biology of flower pollination and such.

Here's a pic, crazy pollen flower is obvious.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Bees, from 2008, with my old point-and-shoot.
Album: http://imgur.com/a/kt3kt

BEES! :kimchi: Those are great pictures.

I've been thinking about replacing my stupid grass with clover to attract more bees. I don't really care about a nice patch of green trimmed grass, and I've been putting a lot of effort into making my garden wildlife friendly over the last few years.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Enfys posted:

BEES! :kimchi: Those are great pictures.

I've been thinking about replacing my stupid grass with clover to attract more bees. I don't really care about a nice patch of green trimmed grass, and I've been putting a lot of effort into making my garden wildlife friendly over the last few years.

You obviously don't live in the country, where deer can eat your crops to the dirt and squirrels can rob all your trees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, that was the little yard at the old place we used to rent, and yeah, clover. Clover is actually super good with grass, the clover plants are symbiotic - they help to fix nitrogen that the grass roots can make use of. You can continue to basically treat a clover lawn like a grass lawn, just don't mow too short, and when the clover is flowering, you will have fuckloads of bees.

I recommend just seeding your grass lawn with white clover in the spring. It wants to be wet for a couple weeks straight to sprout and get going.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm kinda interested in using clover as a winter cover crop.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Leperflesh posted:

So, that was the little yard at the old place we used to rent, and yeah, clover. Clover is actually super good with grass, the clover plants are symbiotic - they help to fix nitrogen that the grass roots can make use of. You can continue to basically treat a clover lawn like a grass lawn, just don't mow too short, and when the clover is flowering, you will have fuckloads of bees.

I recommend just seeding your grass lawn with white clover in the spring. It wants to be wet for a couple weeks straight to sprout and get going.

yeah, you can buy bags of white clover and overseed with it (or mix it with your regular grass overseeding if that's something you do).

I will probably go this route once I annihilate all the chickweed and spurge that are currently the bane of my existence.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ha! Lawns..... I'm sure my neighbours hate me. I'm just happy if something is green in my yard, so no pulling "weeds" for me. Dandelions are not to be pulled. They are one of the first flowers to show in the spring, and the bees need the food. Bees take precedence over my neighbours' sense of aesthetics. Are there plants there and are they growing ok? Good, job's done. Did it go brown because we're in a drought? I'm sure it will come back in the fall. The water is for the plants that either give me food or run the risk of crushing my house if they die. Right now, my lawns are a running battle between clover, dandelions, moss, some variety of grass, various ferns, and ahuge variety of other weeds. Sounds like a healthy mixed crop ecosystem if you ask me. All that gets yanked out are plants that steal from my food producing plants, and the drat morning glory that was threatening the spruce trees around the property line. Those loving plants need to die right away. They grow too fast and overshadow whatever they touch.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Screw lawns, just plant moss :black101:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm kinda interested in using clover as a winter cover crop.

If you mean for a veggie garden then you're better off with something else since clover can take a while to get established. Your local extension office should be able to recommend the best stuff for your area. Around the PNW I like to use vetch for nitrogen, rye for organic matter and fava for both. If you leave some of them growing you can collect more seed for next time too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cool, thanks. I do see crimson clover recommended some for here (GA), but there's a wider variety of other options than I realized.

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy
We just bought a house late last year and with it came some great potential for gardening! I want to try my hand at growing some roses and I'm in zone 7b, but I admit I'm sort of overwhelmed on roses. Is there an end all be all book to taking care of roses? I always assumed that taking care of roses was some laborious effort but I guess it's mostly about getting the PH right and taking care to not plant it close to other plants so it can grow?

Also, is it safe/legit to order online? I plan on going to my local nursery in a few weeks/months so I can pick up a few that are already adjusted to my area, but I imagine they aren't going to carry a wide selection of roses.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I order most of my plants online. There are some great online nurseries (don't know of any with roses tho). Usually the only concern is exposure to extreme temperatures during shipping, but a lot of places will do heat packs this time of year if the plant is sensitive to cold.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DeusExMchna posted:

We just bought a house late last year and with it came some great potential for gardening! I want to try my hand at growing some roses and I'm in zone 7b, but I admit I'm sort of overwhelmed on roses. Is there an end all be all book to taking care of roses? I always assumed that taking care of roses was some laborious effort but I guess it's mostly about getting the PH right and taking care to not plant it close to other plants so it can grow?

Also, is it safe/legit to order online? I plan on going to my local nursery in a few weeks/months so I can pick up a few that are already adjusted to my area, but I imagine they aren't going to carry a wide selection of roses.

Roses are one of the most widely cultivated plants, with all kinds of growth types and traits: bush, tree, climbing, ground cover, etc. You could get something almost bulletproof like a Knock Out, or something that will need tons of special care.

I've ordered lots of plants online. There are several things about ordering plants through the mail that newbies don't realize. The first is that they have to be shipped quickly, both to ensure that the plant doesn't dry out and to make sure it doesn't freeze, since mail typically isn't stored in a insulated place. The second thing is that most plants are shipped in a pot full of dirt, and dirt is heavy. Third, not all plants can bend, so you usually can't fold them up into tiny box. Heavy mail in long, thin boxes that must be shipped quickly equals high shipping prices. Because of the size and weight issue, most mail order plants are very small in size. Prepare to be underwhelmed if you're expecting some huge, fabulously healthy plant right out of the box. Actually, that brings up another issue. Shipping is hard on plants. Sometimes, they will just arrive dead. It happens.

The good news is that roses are pretty hardy and most can be shipped bare root without issue. Also, most mail order places will actually have very good, uh, "warranties" on their plants. If the plant arrives dead or dies within, say, a year, they will typically replace or refund it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I worked for a nursery for a year and their warranty for any woody plants was that if it died within 1 year of purchase and you had your receipt they'd give you a replacement. It really didn't matter how it died, you could run it over with your car and set it on fire on purpose and they'd still give you a new one. It was actually kind of stupid.

And of course since we had the best warranty in town we'd occasionally get people who bought some piece of poo poo plant at Home Depot who would try and get a replacement out of us because they uh, lost their receipt?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Ha! Lawns..... I'm sure my neighbours hate me. I'm just happy if something is green in my yard, so no pulling "weeds" for me. Dandelions are not to be pulled. They are one of the first flowers to show in the spring, and the bees need the food. Bees take precedence over my neighbours' sense of aesthetics. Are there plants there and are they growing ok? Good, job's done. Did it go brown because we're in a drought? I'm sure it will come back in the fall. The water is for the plants that either give me food or run the risk of crushing my house if they die. Right now, my lawns are a running battle between clover, dandelions, moss, some variety of grass, various ferns, and ahuge variety of other weeds. Sounds like a healthy mixed crop ecosystem if you ask me.

This is pretty much my lawn at my house now, for similar reasons. Partly also because I intend at some point to excavate the entire thing and switch to in-ground irrigated low-water drought hardy 100% natives, because i have no use for a lawn really. But until my lazy rear end gets around to it, the green stuff growing in front of my house gets to compete in a darwinian fashion and as long as it can survive being mowed, it's fine with me. I will occasionally pull out one of those nasty super-prickly weeds just on the basis of not wanting to have to touch it if it gets really huge.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

I worked for a nursery for a year and their warranty for any woody plants was that if it died within 1 year of purchase and you had your receipt they'd give you a replacement. It really didn't matter how it died, you could run it over with your car and set it on fire on purpose and they'd still give you a new one. It was actually kind of stupid.

And of course since we had the best warranty in town we'd occasionally get people who bought some piece of poo poo plant at Home Depot who would try and get a replacement out of us because they uh, lost their receipt?

What was working in a nursery like? I'm going to have some free time this summer and I've been considering getting a part-time job in a nursery as a learning experience.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

kedo posted:

What was working in a nursery like? I'm going to have some free time this summer and I've been considering getting a part-time job in a nursery as a learning experience.

It wasn't bad by any means, other than the pay where I worked was pretty low for everyone and the head manager was kind of an rear end. I probably would have stayed there but I didn't get the year round position I was promised due to factors unrelated to me so I was laid off during the winter and got a new job elsewhere before they offered to hire me again in the spring.

Obviously it'll be different from company to company and your specific job title. We also didn't grow anything on site so if you're working somewhere that's growing their own stuff it might be a very different experience. I was just a cashier about 50% of the time but basically no matter what the job will involve lots of being outdoors watering stuff, answering plant and gardening related questions, helping people load stuff. Lots of stacking lawn seed and fertilizer and rearranging displays. Covering stuff up or moving it inside before closing during the spring when it gets too cold outside to leave stuff without it dying. Putting together custom arrangements of flowers in pots. All kinds of stuff.

I guess to put it simply I'd say it's a retail job with all of the usual pitfalls but it's about as varied as a retail job can get and if you enjoy being outdoors during the spring and summer doing gardening type stuff then it can be pretty nice.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Hi! Can anyone tell me the name of the plants below? I'm pretty sure it's the same species at different ages.

I have some questions about taking care of them:

How often should they be watered?
The dirt is very sandy and I'm worried the plants might not get enough nutrients. Unfortunately we are not able to get fresh dirt. We could, however, get some soil from the seafloor, but it is very clay-y. Does that matter? If we use the clay, how do we go about it? Can you just put it on top of the dirt and the nutrients seep down over time?

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Alligator kalanchoe. It grows fine in sandy soil. The big one looks a bit leggy.....does it get much sun? They're about as maintenance free as you can get. The little knots that grow along the edges of the leaf fall off and grow into full-size plants.

Water them when the soil is dry two knuckles deep. Since you appear to be on a boat and unable to get basic stuff (like dirt?) and also worried about plant nutrition: you can make your own fertilizer by mixing 15 parts fresh water to 1 part urine and watering the plants with that a few times a year.

robotindisguise fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Thanks a lot, I will do the urine trick.

robotindisguise posted:

The big one looks a bit leggy.....does it get much sun?

Yeah, it's quite long. For a while we tried to steady it with pencils in the dirt, but now it just rests on the window pane.

They don't get a lot of direct sunlight, due to the angle of the windows and because we're near the equator. Sometimes in late afternoon they'll get some. But I guess the water surface reflects some up at them.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thin Privilege posted:

I am new, please forgive. I got some flowers and one of them is crazy fertile, I've never seen this from some store bought stuff before. I was nerdy curious and put some of the pollen on one of the stems of one of the other flowers and the whole thing turned orange. I am very sad that these flowers are just in a jar and have no bees to spread this ridiculous amount of pollen around, and they will not make more flowers :smith:

In this post I really just want to nerd about about the biology of flower pollination and such.

Here's a pic, crazy pollen flower is obvious.

I just got back from a trip so please pardon the late reply, but those flowers are gorgeous. The pollen flower in question is actually one of my personal favorites, an easter lily. They have a heavenly scent, and grow reliably for me in a pot. Fun fact: it's rare to see easter lilies with pollen at all since florists will remove the anthers so that the yellow-orange pollen won't stain the white petals of the lily. That probably means that the flower with the pollen was a bud when you bought, and bloomed in your house. It's a lovely sight!

I've just returned from a trip to Seattle, and I've seen some amazing things over there. Botanically, it was completely different than what I've ever seen in the south. So many coniferous trees that are so huge. Pine cones everywhere. Not the big pine cones I'm used to, but little tiny ones that look like flowers instead. Instead of stores having a flower bush in front to decorate, they had fancy cultivars of coniferous trees, like a small weepy looking pine tree or a neat blue spruce. Even when I saw a familiar willow tree shape, it was actually a conifer. Is this what it's like to see a whole new world?

Later, I'll try to post some pictures of my plants. They've changed a lot since I got back from my trip, so I got some before and after pics.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What's this that's popped up in my ficus cutting?

The leaves look like alfalfa but I don't know where an alfalfa seed would have come from.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

DeusExMchna posted:

I inherited like 20 rose bushes at a new house I just started renting, and I'm a little overwhelmed myself. Any tips would be appreciated. I spent a good hour today weeding and mulching around them, a few were starting to get choked with what I think is chickweed. Is there anything I could plant as a helpful ground cover around the roses to stop the weeds from taking over? I also don't like all the bare ground in between the roses.

I'm doing a lot of vegetable gardening (there are 6 raised beds and a few more plots as well as a greenhouse to work with). I'm also growing vines around the outside of our fence, and waiting to see what old perennials will show up. I'll have to start taking pictures when everything's blooming.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Turns out when I said I'd post plant pictures later, I actually meant weeks later.

Here's a poinsettia stem that I've been keeping alive in a cup of water and plant food since December.

Here it is a week later from the previous photo. It's still a stem right now, but I have no doubt that it's going to become a full-fledged plant soon. Has cute little red petioles to the leaf. The secret to keeping a plant branch healthy is to change out the water every two days with fresh water so that way the stem doesn't get slimy. If you mess up and catch the mistake though, you should be able to rinse away the sliminess and wash the cup out with soap and continue just fine. Give this technique a try if you want to propagate plants from a single branch! (Disclaimer: might not work with conifers, they are tricky)

Hopefully it shows, but there is a nice flower spike growing on my orchid! I finally figured out how to grow orchids and keep them happy. Using bark growing medium helped out since it makes it nigh impossible for me to overwater now.

Hey, what's this? This is isn't Christmas anymore, Christmas cactus. Why are you blooming? I'm certainly not complaining though. This little fella is covered in flower buds!

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's this that's popped up in my ficus cutting?

The leaves look like alfalfa but I don't know where an alfalfa seed would have come from.

It's not completely impossible for their to be alfalfa seed if you work with bird food. I don't really know what that plant is, but the tendrils (thinner than regular stems, leafless) it's shooting out does make itself seem like a legume of some sort, so maybe you're right about it being alfalfa. Maybe the seed came there already in the soil mix?

Schmeichy posted:

I inherited like 20 rose bushes at a new house I just started renting, and I'm a little overwhelmed myself. Any tips would be appreciated. I spent a good hour today weeding and mulching around them, a few were starting to get choked with what I think is chickweed. Is there anything I could plant as a helpful ground cover around the roses to stop the weeds from taking over? I also don't like all the bare ground in between the roses.

I'm doing a lot of vegetable gardening (there are 6 raised beds and a few more plots as well as a greenhouse to work with). I'm also growing vines around the outside of our fence, and waiting to see what old perennials will show up. I'll have to start taking pictures when everything's blooming.

I don't have a lot of experience with growing roses in the ground, I just wanted to say congrats on getting a pretty cool rose garden! Maybe keeping the rose garden as is would be good since the roses are already used to that? If not, maybe clover seed might help once it get dense enough. I have personal experience with Tradescantia pallida (purple heart) growing thickly in mats and easy to grow. A little too easy to grow. But it's an attractive plant, and it might choke out any weeds foolish enough to try and grow underneath it.

If you wind up taking pictures of your garden, feel free to post! We'd love to see them!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hello plant thread. Two questions for you.

First, what is this plant? My girlfriend took a cutting off a plant at work but she didn't catch the name from the person who cares for all their plants. Any ideas?

Second question: what's wrong with my pothos pictured below? Most, but not all of the leaves have these brown spots on them. This particular leaf is the worst, where the brown spots have opened up into actual holes. Most of the leaves have somewhere between one to four small spots. There are no insects on the plant from what I can tell (though now that I look at this picture close up, the tiny brown spots might be scale). It's in a south facing window that receives about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight per day (through UV coated glass) and it doesn't spend any time below 68°F. I give it some Miracle Gro about once a month.

It's growing like gang busters, so I'm not terribly concerned about it dying or anything. But the spots are ugly. I'm assuming they might be due to the direct sunlight since I know pothos are mostly shade plants, but I figured I'd ask.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

EagerSleeper posted:

I don't have a lot of experience with growing roses in the ground, I just wanted to say congrats on getting a pretty cool rose garden! Maybe keeping the rose garden as is would be good since the roses are already used to that? If not, maybe clover seed might help once it get dense enough. I have personal experience with Tradescantia pallida (purple heart) growing thickly in mats and easy to grow. A little too easy to grow. But it's an attractive plant, and it might choke out any weeds foolish enough to try and grow underneath it.

If you wind up taking pictures of your garden, feel free to post! We'd love to see them!

Nice greenhouse setup! I don't have much to post right now because it's still early, but have a daffodil I rescued from the compost heap. Can't wait to see what else blooms

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the thread it has been a great read checking on everyone's plants over the last few years. I have two questions if could get some help. First is this larger plant that my mother left with me when she lasted moved. She has no idea what it is an I do not either. Here is two pictures of it.

Second my girlfriend was moving some succulents around and her favorite snapped at the stem. We re-planted both, but the top have is starting to discolor greatly and shrivel. Is there any hope for it?

Base
the top

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Unknownmass posted:

Thanks for the thread it has been a great read checking on everyone's plants over the last few years. I have two questions if could get some help. First is this larger plant that my mother left with me when she lasted moved. She has no idea what it is an I do not either. Here is two pictures of it.

Looks like an umbrella plant / Schefflera.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

kedo posted:

Hello plant thread. Two questions for you.

First, what is this plant? My girlfriend took a cutting off a plant at work but she didn't catch the name from the person who cares for all their plants. Any ideas?

Tradescantia spathacea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Unknownmass posted:

Second my girlfriend was moving some succulents around and her favorite snapped at the stem. We re-planted both, but the top have is starting to discolor greatly and shrivel. Is there any hope for it?

Base
the top

Seconding umbrella plant.

As for the succulent, it should be okay. Nearly all succulents reroot easily from cuttings and unintentional breaks. Still, it will have to live off its own reserves until it does. Leave the top out of dirt until the break callouses over, then stick it in dirt and water gently. Chances are pretty good that the old stem will resprout too.