Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Rumda posted:

Lowland Scots never spoke Gaelic at any point so if your uniting it with Northumbria and Cumbria you may as well add the rest of Britain in, or at least Wales and Cornwall.

The map thread may be the place to keep an eye on Paul Kavanagh working on his map of Gaelic placenames in Scotland then. With place-names all over Fife, Tayside, Dumfries and the Lothians which are Gaelic that's quite the conundrum.

quote:

They’ve insisted that Gaelic was never spoken in places which have Gaelic names. But no one in Edinburgh / Fife / Dumfries ever spoke Gaelic, they say, oblivious to the fact that all of those places contain significant numbers of Gaelic place names which prove that Gaelic was indeed once spoken there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan G posted:

Another example is Scone

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Alan G posted:

The map thread may be the place to keep an eye on Paul Kavanagh working on his map of Gaelic placenames in Scotland then. With place-names all over Fife, Tayside, Dumfries and the Lothians which are Gaelic that's quite the conundrum.

He's not exactly coming at it from an objective viewpoint.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Alan G posted:

Another example is Scone in Perthshire, Scotland. Relocated to New Scone so you had Old Scone and New Scone. In 1997 New Scone was changed to just Scone, but afaik it's still Old Scone for the old village (and former capital)

Old Scone is not the most appetising of names

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alan G posted:

I don't see the map in that link. Would be interesting for sure.

Though one should still be careful with the conclusion, there are a bunch of Germanic toponyms in France and Wallonia for places where the bulk of the population never or only briefly spoke a Germanic language.

Alan G posted:

Another example is Scone in Perthshire, Scotland. Relocated to New Scone so you had Old Scone and New Scone. In 1997 New Scone was changed to just Scone, but afaik it's still Old Scone for the old village (and former capital)

There is Oud-Turnhout in Flanders. Apparently known as Old Turnhout since at least the 14th century, so I suppose the new Turnhout emerged as a more attractive trade center some time before that.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 29, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm pretty sure everyone in the british isles was celtic before the romans showed up? maybe they didn't speak that specific variety of gaelic but other than that i'm a little confused here

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

i'm pretty sure everyone in the british isles was celtic before the romans showed up? maybe they didn't speak that specific variety of gaelic but other than that i'm a little confused here

Gaelic is an Irish language. Scotland takes its name from a Roman word for the Irish (Scoti). The people in Great Britain spoke Brythonic Celtic languages closer to Welsh/Cornish/Breton. The Scots are just as much invaders in our fair isle as the Anglo-Saxon bastards.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 29, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Technically, the Celts themselves didn't show up in the British Isles until about a millennium B.C. at the earliest.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
originally it was all dagon's spawn.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Whiz Palace posted:

China is like 45% rice, 35% corn and 20% wheat. I know the rice is (to the surprise of many) limited to the southern half of the country, but I'm curious as to what they consider as corn.

it's just corn

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Unironically, full independence for Scotland, Wales, even Cornwall, the largest possible versions, also the Isle of Man, unite all of Eire, give Shetland back to Norway, give the Channel Islands back to France, and dismantle what's left of England back into the Heptarchy with an independent Yorkshire and independent London city-state. I am not joking.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Unironically, full independence for Scotland, Wales, even Cornwall, the largest possible versions, also the Isle of Man, unite all of Eire, give Shetland back to Norway, give the Channel Islands back to France, and dismantle what's left of England back into the Heptarchy with an independent Yorkshire and independent London city-state. I am not joking.

England's horcruxes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

are you just really into complicated maps? not judging, mind

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Angepain posted:

are you just really into complicated maps? not judging, mind

No just seriously Anglophobic and against the idea of a UK that is always going to be dominated by the English, no matter what.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Fifty‐three million people have more political power than eleven million.”
:qqsay:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

No just seriously Anglophobic and against the idea of a UK that is always going to be dominated by the English, no matter what.

Well to be fair aren't they like 80% of the population

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's a solution: get rid of the UK. As I've been saying.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hmmm nah

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Are you from anywhere in the UK? Your answer will affect whether I call you somewhat naive or a bampot.

(p.s. i voted Yes in the independence referendum and I still think you're being a bit weird here)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like what YOU need is an Electoral College!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Eleven million is a lot, and it's unfair that a compact group (groups) at the periphery with voting preferences different from the core is forced to obey unfavorable rules just because ***borders***

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That won't actually fix any of your problems. You'd just have a new elite with their bootheel on the workers' throats..... unless you think you'd be part of that new elite?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I am an American, and I never said that the UK should be dismantled for reasons of economic justice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also, I'm wrong, I'm being ridiculous, and I apologize for my posts.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
England is a cancer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

But you are right, the UK must be destroyed unironically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I mean England is a horrible thing you're not wrong about that

Everyone else just has to leave the UK. NI can join Ireland, Scotland can leave for real and the London should just quietly cart the queen outside the city limits when she's asleep and secede when she wakes up. Wales can just do whatever, nobody won't be paying any attention to them for a while with all that going on.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 30, 2017

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

reported everyone itt for racism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Whorelord posted:

reported everyone itt for racism

:byewhore:lord

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I will abjure any of my deeply held beliefs that cause pointless derails. Truly I am the Henry IV of the internet.

Honestly didn't know there was more than one UK defender.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Why can't Man join Eire? Maybe as some Hong Kong-style special economic zone so they can keep doing money laundering or whatever it is they do there.

And if we're just going for total insanity anyway, might as well have Cornwall and Wales form a confederation with independent Brittany.

EDIT: I'm fine with the UK England keeping Falklands, St Helena, and Pitcairn for the sheer comedy of being a global rump-Empire.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 30, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Return Britannia to Italy, evict the Anglo-Saxon invaders.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Return Britannia to Italy, evict the Anglo-Saxon invaders.

DOGGERLAND FOR THE NEANDERTHAL.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my suggestion for the future united kingdom is that the prevailing wind direction is nne, so the cleansing atomic fire could hit all of london, the midlands, and up through yorkshire with relatively minor risks to the rest of the island.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's not very nice to Norway.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kassad posted:

That's not very nice to Norway.

The nuclear thing, or giving them back the Shetlands?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

cromwell didn't go far enough

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's a country? I have tried looking up definitions, but I think I would understand better if I had some sort of visual aid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tree Goat posted:

the prevailing wind direction

Speaking of which, why is it that wind is the only thing in the universe* whose direction is given as the opposite of the way it's actually going? Like a "north wind" is actually blowing southward?

* Okay, and electrical current. But that's just a historical accident because Ben Franklin had a 50-50 shot and he guessed wrong.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A North wind is a wind coming from the North, what's so complicated about that? Were the Vikings Southerners because they kept raiding South?