Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

JordanKai posted:

Thanks for the input everyone! And also thanks for making me feel like a doofus for still collecting physical releases. :ohdear:

Man, I still collect physical stuff.

You wanna talk doofus? Watch this -

Can someone explain digital download codes to me? Like, I just ignored them in every book I've been buying (I just got back into buying in the last 5 years). I assumed those were, like, codes for that book that I had in my hand. A digital version of what I bought that I could watch on my tablet. But, uh, that's not the case, is it? Those are, like, free digital copies of other books to get you to buy them, right? I',m so confused. And I've seen people in this forum talk about selling those codes on eBay. What's that? And if I tear that sticker off to get the code (okay, strap in...I'm a 90's comic buyer after all) does that "reduce the value of the book because the code is removed"?

This is all Marvel, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Up until very recently, the digital codes were for a digital version of the book you bought. Marvel just changed that to now having one code in all the books for a week or month that lets you download some selected back issues. It's a sop to brick-and-mortar stores.

As for eBay, some people who bought physical copies and didn't care about the digital ones would auction them off (emailing the code to the winner) to recoup some of the cost of the physical book. Which is probably another reason Marvel changed their policy.

I have no idea what tearing the sticker off does to the physical comic's resale value.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel codes had been for the same issue you bought up until very recently where you have to pick from a selection. People with no need for a second copy (like yourself) would just flip the codes for a couple bucks. Now that market will probably die.

Maybe in a hundred years a comic with the sticker still on would mean anything to a collector. Probably not.

e: What he said.
Give all your codes away in the Digital Comics thread or something.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I can give 'em away, no prob. Not really worried about "damaging the re-sale value". I was just genuinely curious about them as a whole since I'm still stuck in the past.

e: Oh, and thanks! Sorry. should have led with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a couple hundred bucks selling codes last summer but it's kind of a pain. Several buyers claimed the codes didn't work and despite a refund they still left negative feedback.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Thanks for the input everyone! And also thanks for making me feel like a doofus for still collecting physical releases. :ohdear:

You are not alone. I only changed from buying individual copies to buying trades a few years ago. Still haven't bought a digital comic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is superman circumcised? It came to mind when I was trying to work out how to make a 'Richard Donner Cut' pun. Never made the pun, but the (very dumb) question stuck with me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Is superman circumcised?

:whitewater:

Red Bones posted:

It came to mind when I was trying to work out how to make a 'Richard Donner Cut' pun.

:stonk:

Red Bones posted:

Never made the pun, but the (very dumb) question stuck with me.

:yikes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Supergirl XXX A Parody yes, in Batman vs. Superman XXX no.

Supergirl is the more recent source so while it's a retcon that's the current status quo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

In Supergirl XXX A Parody yes, in Batman vs. Superman XXX no.

Supergirl is the more recent source so while it's a retcon that's the current status quo.

Maybe his bris took place after BvS.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Maybe his bris took place after BvS.

"Do you bleed?"

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Of course (much like the question of "how does Superman shave?") it seems that the only one who can circumcise Superman is Superman himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or a sufficiently powerful rabbi.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Any rabbi should be able, as the Law of Moses radiates from a reed son.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Rab-bi was banished from Krypton a decade before it exploded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

We're enemies now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

This sounds like a job for ... the Seraph!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

This sounds like a job for ... the Seraph!

Moses
Elijah
Solomon
Samson

Also, which power gives him that giant left hand?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

prefect posted:

Moses
Elijah
Solomon
Samson

Also, which power gives him that giant left hand?

Onan. :q:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are rabbis magic? He's weak to magic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Definitely not safe for work.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Squizzle posted:

You sick motherfucker

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Does the character Venom actually have any venom?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, his name is symbolic of the tabloid press.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

However, Carnage has definitely caused some carnage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anti-Venom could actually counteract various toxins.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

Anti-Venom could actually counteract various toxins.

What about Toxin?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Toxin is a synonym for venom.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How many symbiotic are there in canon

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

How many symbiotic are there in canon

A few.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Of course Eddie is the guy who goes "Actually,"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RandallODim posted:

What about Toxin?

Toxic masculinity

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

drat, the symbiote must've gotten tired of everyone focusing just on Pete's rear end all the time.

e: "Overwhelmingly continued" really might be the best way to describe how it feels trying to follow multi-part crossovers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Toxin is a synonym for venom.
Venoms are specific toxins, actually.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Who the hell is in all red?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Scarlet Spider

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Ben Reilly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like Scarlet Spider lost his hoodie.

EDIT: Does Venom trip Ben Reilly's spider-sense?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like Scarlet Spider lost his hoodie.

EDIT: Does Venom trip Ben Reilly's spider-sense?

At some point in that story a KLYNTARRRRR hopped onto Ben and was quietly controlling him. They found out and it was revealed to have replaced his hoodie. He later grabbed a new blue hoodie and a sharpie and made himself a new costume.

In their first encounter Ben's spider sense was indeed going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And IIRC the reason is that the symbiote doesn't block Spider-Sense as a rule, only Peter's because it was bonded to him. Ben wasn't bonded to it so he's not affected.