Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MisterBibs posted:

Yay, I got a new colonist!

... dude doesn't do labor. He's an actor. Literally all he can do is artistic stuff. :negative:

Get him pumping out sculptures for trade and moods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

... dude doesn't do labor. He's an actor. Literally all he can do is artistic stuff. :negative:

Is it just me or are the labor restrictions always stupidly arbitrary? You'd figure a labor would be disabled if their backstory made them either physically incapable of doing it, or if they just absolutely refused to do it (nobles refuse to do peasant labor, ect.); but a lot of the time you just get a pawn whose backstory is that they either worked as an architect or were sick as a child, and you're just suppose to intuit exactly why this means they absolutely refuse to touch or cut any kind of plant. It's really frustrating, especially since backstories are hardcoded into the game so you can't go into the files and edit all the retarded restrictions out.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 30, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If he won't do dumb labor or growing or poo poo like that and he just wants to make art, just imagine he's from Neo-New York from Future America and he's just doing this as a part time job and his real full time job is acting. We all know Americans refuse to do farm work and construction anyways.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Well made marble sculptures sell for 1k+.

Those and a textile sweatshop break the economy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

If he won't do dumb labor or growing or poo poo like that and he just wants to make art, just imagine he's from Neo-New York from Future America and he's just doing this as a part time job and his real full time job is acting. We all know Americans refuse to do farm work and construction anyways.

This, you're managing a bunch of people from space Silicon Valley who are deeply offended that your colony does not have apps to haul rocks from heap A to heap B and isn't being disruptive enough.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if i have an ancient evil thing in the map i tend to liberate it and then shove idiots like that into the cryptosleep capsules i uncover in there

seal it off again afterward and then you don't have to deal with the dorks until it's time for the end game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: well poo poo, how did I not put those two and two together. :downs:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

did you not read the thread title

e: also on that second one he changed stuff with A16, men and women have an equal 15% chance to be bi now

so really we should prly change it to "no, mans bi"

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Chain him to a sculptor table and he'll basically print money for you.

VerdantSquire posted:

Is it just me or are the labor restrictions always stupidly arbitrary? You'd figure a labor would be disabled if their backstory made them either physically incapable of doing it, or if they just absolutely refused to do it (nobles refuse to do peasant labor, ect.); but a lot of the time you just get a pawn whose backstory is that they either worked as an architect or were sick as a child, and you're just suppose to intuit exactly why this means they absolutely refuse to touch or cut any kind of plant. It's really frustrating, especially since backstories are hardcoded into the game so you can't go into the files and edit all the retarded restrictions out.

I don't mind the backgrounds that restrict one or two jobs, it's the backgrounds that disable five or six things that it gets stupid, like a Sheriff being unable to do any kind of labour because what, he was corrupt? The gently caress is that poo poo?

I've said it before, but I think a much better system would be to make it a hated job rather then a forbidden job. They can do the work if ordered to, but get a mood penalty while doing so.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just noticed a dead guy from a raid has a bionic arm, can I take it off him and use it before I bury him? Seems a shame to waste it. Still on A15 if that matters. Can't seem to do it in the same way as taking Scyther blades.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Sadly, my save is really early on in its lifetime, so I just reloaded and got someone with a bit more of a varied skillset.

Except that all she wears is front armor, and is upset that she's nude (even though it's a heat wave!), and she's upset when all I can make for her is cotton armor, because that's too warm.

Kinda a newbie/open-ended question - what are some skills to prioritize for the first colonists you get? What do your bases look like?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Just noticed a dead guy from a raid has a bionic arm, can I take it off him and use it before I bury him? Seems a shame to waste it. Still on A15 if that matters.
you cannot unfortunately, same way you can't remove the scyther blades from a dead scyther because gently caress you that's why

MadJackMcJack posted:

only from exotic goods traders, who have a relatively small stock worth mentioning. can still turn it into straight silver though, which while handy is not nearly as useful for a lot of reasons

MisterBibs posted:

Sadly, my save is really early on in its lifetime, so I just reloaded and got someone with a bit more of a varied skillset.

Except that all she wears is front armor, and is upset that she's nude (even though it's a heat wave!), and she's upset when all I can make for her is cotton armor, because that's too warm.

Kinda a newbie/open-ended question - what are some skills to prioritize for the first colonists you get? What do your bases look like?

nudity is based 100% on pants. if they get a decent pair of pants they'll no longer consider themselves nude, even if female. tribalwear counts too since it covers the hips, this can be made at a generic crafting spot so you can slap that together with zero infrastructure.

required skills to start: medicine, grower, construction.

my bases are set up to be expandable and modular. i generally make 13x13 rooms (walled dimensions, so 12x12 inner surface) for everything and will just build another any time a new need comes up. building is generally cheap in most biomes so there's little reason to be too uptight about things. in warm biomes i will build these rooms completely separate from one another, mandating walking outside when crossing rooms; in colder ones i will enclose the hallways to enable people to not wear parkas for most of their lives (they reduce work speed). another part to this is that coolers require hot-side venting, which requires a little thought, and heaters can just belch off heat and it's fine. with warm biomes where coolers are far more important, it's just easier to plop them down if more of the area is outdoors.

here is an image i posted a few pages back of what i'm talking about.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 30, 2017

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
A lot of the backgrounds are backer submitted, right? I didn't realize what was happening until I got Prepare Carefully and saw there are like ten "Xxxxx didn't have any friends growing up so he spent all of his time on the computer and learned to code real good" backgrounds for every other kind of character.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Randallteal posted:

A lot of the backgrounds are backer submitted, right? I didn't realize what was happening until I got Prepare Carefully and saw there are like ten "Xxxxx didn't have any friends growing up so he spent all of his time on the computer and learned to code real good" backgrounds for every other kind of character.

yes, most of these backgrounds are marked with a caution flag in prepare carefully so people can avoid them if they want. they also fail to take gender into account so a dead give-away is if you have a female colonist and the background uses a ton of male pronouns then that's a backer background right there.

all of the vanilla backgrounds properly change pronouns with gender.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unfortunately this isn't Prison Architect so you'll have to just take their organs out.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I can see the idea with not being able to take prosthetics or bionics off of dead peple. This game is 99% tower defense and the player will end up holding the field every single time until the day your colony falls. This would mean bionics would last forever as long as you just kept harvesting the dead at no penalty. Not to mention bionics are worth a ton of money so that would limit how much the game could put bionics on raiders.

It does reward you for capturing raiders with bionics since you can take them off living people

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

This naked fat guy with the rocket launcher decided to flee into an enclosed yard. I told Keller and Izolda to take him alive, but one punch to the arm and he died instantly. I checked his stats and he was a pyromaniac so it was no great loss.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Every game/mod with a ~~* ViSiOn *~~ is always all about Realism™ right up to the point it's beneficial, then the blubbering cries of balance come out. Same with Stranded, same with Minecraft, same here.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

here is an image i posted a few pages back of what i'm talking about.

Those bedrooms are incredibly huge, you could chop them in half and still probably get the spacious room bonus.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

How do I satisfy a greedy persons need for an expensive bedroom but in a small area?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
While it's possible to take someone from alive and standing up under their own power to dead in a single punch, it's kind of unlikely. And it's usually because you smashed your head on something hard on the way down.

Playstation 4 posted:

Every game/mod with a ~~* ViSiOn *~~ is always all about Realism™ right up to the point it's beneficial, then the blubbering cries of balance come out. Same with Stranded, same with Minecraft, same here.

A lot of people confuse difficulty with tedium. Rimworld unfortunately suffers from it.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

How do I satisfy a greedy persons need for an expensive bedroom but in a small area?

Cram it full of high quality furniture and statues.

I usually just go with superior+ double bed and a bunch of statues until they shut the gently caress up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

Cram it full of expensive pretty stuff.

Impressiveness is a combination of, I think, space, cleanliness, value of items in the room, and beauty of the room, with heavy weighting towards the lowest of the four.

So, you do, in practice, need some space to avoid that bottlenecking your stats but it generally doesn't have to be too enormous. A 7x7 interior space would probably allow you to reach max impressiveness fairly easily. A 5x5 will get you most of the way there without too much trouble.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The minimum needed for the spacious perk is 9x9 I think.

Is there a way to set stockpile maximum numbers? I want to try and put a table in my colonists' rooms with 2-3 meals in a stockpile next to them so that each colonist doesn't need to go to the cafeteria to eat breakfast, saving time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

Is there a way to set stockpile maximum numbers? I want to try and put a table in my colonists' rooms with 2-3 meals in a stockpile next to them so that each colonist doesn't need to go to the cafeteria to eat breakfast, saving time.

Colonists don't actually change their mood when they're asleep so unless they're in their rooms otherwise (they probably shouldn't be) there's little benefit to that.

Colonists will often carry food and use tables to eat it, but they should go to the cafeteria anyway because they will get the impressive dining room buff, unless you're planning on making their bedrooms all super fancy.

Really that's more of a planning thing, your dining room should be located centrally so people can access it easily.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The reason is to save time, not change their mood. I may be mistaken but can't they get the impressive dining room bonus even if they just walk through it? Do they actually need to eat in it to get it?

Either way, everyone is already super high mood and their bedrooms are filled with masterwork furniture and art, so I just want them to stop wasting time going to the cafeteria. I just need to find a way to keep the meals that they have in their rooms from rotting.

I don't want to waste resources putting refrigerators in everyone's room.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Cram it full of expensive pretty stuff.

Impressiveness is a combination of, I think, space, cleanliness, value of items in the room, and beauty of the room, with heavy weighting towards the lowest of the four.

So, you do, in practice, need some space to avoid that bottlenecking your stats but it generally doesn't have to be too enormous. A 7x7 interior space would probably allow you to reach max impressiveness fairly easily. A 5x5 will get you most of the way there without too much trouble.

Teikanmi posted:

7x7!? 9x9!? gently caress that I'll just sell them to slavery.

Meanwhile I noticed that you can sell people into slavery even if they only have one leg (at a reduced rate but still). So a good way to store prisoners is to give them a peg leg and then to remove the leg. They will then stay in bed until you sell them and never have breakdowns or cause prison breaks.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Once my bases get really big I'll pop in a couple of spare tables here and there just so hungry stragglers are less likely to get the "ate without a table" debuff.

I ended up putting a couple of tables in my temple to Cthulhu because everyone would be super hungry after the service and it's a pretty impressive room so win/win.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also does anyone know of any kind of "key card" mods? I'd love to find a way to keep my chemically fascinated people from getting into the stash room.

edit: Just found this, it's perfect. Also helps to keep my colonists from using other peoples' rooms or taking food from the main refrigerators

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29537.0

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 30, 2017

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

Also does anyone know of any kind of "key card" mods? I'd love to find a way to keep my chemically fascinated people from getting into the stash room.

Nope, but you can make an area just for those people that doesn't include the stash room and assign them to it. Not gonna keep them out if they break though.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I always knew you were worthless Andy but now we have it on paper.

I'm going to nurse him back to health and then sell him to the next pirate ship that comes by just to see how much the value might go up.

Edit: Never mind. Andy died of an infection.

:stare:

She has "Incapable of violence" but also "very Neurotic" and "too smart" which gives her +26% to mental break threshold. So she goes berserk a lot. But since she has no melee skill it just ends with her being beaten up. The problem is when she goes berserk at weapon range of soldiers.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 30, 2017

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Yea. Tynan's backgrounds are usually fairly generic. The backer backgrounds, not so much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Playstation 4 posted:

It's interesting in RimWorld because everything around downing vs killing is all quick fixes to the statistical reality of ~*Tynan's Vision*~ It's all a bandaid to the system that escalates raids until everybody in the world in swarming into the map. The game's probably better for it because the average pirate comes decked out in a few grand worth of equipment and suddenly the raid progression isn't just ridiculous on Cassandra/Phoebe, its geometric because of the wealth influx. If it feels kludged its because the raid progression on Cassandra/Phoebe kind of sucks already and the economy probably needs another item's value pass instead of flagging dead men's clothes as the worst thing imaginable and making organs and bionics instantly decay when a body touches the ground and oh yeah a lot of bodies are going to touch the ground because the injury system is meant to down player characters so the enemies are forced to die for most downed-level injuries.

e. Rereading how storytellers work and it shouldn't do much to Cassandra/Phoebe raids? But would definitely make our Lord and Savior Randy throw bullshit at you early if your wealth started skyrocketing from advantageous raids.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 30, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, once you get the ability to produce yayo in large quantities and can call exotic traders from nearby settlements in to sell it off, the game is basically over. I've got more money than I know what to do with. Maybe I should download the hygiene mod and give everyone gold toilets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has anyone had an issue where no traders carry uranium? It could be a mod issue but it's driving me nuts

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just saw some uranium for sale on an exotic goods caravan from a friendly faction (not a tribe). Maybe call for those, or mount a caravan to one of their cities yourself? My game has a ton of mods installed, but nothing that would affect caravans I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

It's interesting in RimWorld because everything around downing vs killing is all quick fixes to the statistical reality of ~*Tynan's Vision*~ It's all a bandaid to the system that escalates raids until everybody in the world in swarming into the map. The game's probably better for it because the average pirate comes decked out in a few grand worth of equipment and suddenly the raid progression isn't just ridiculous on Cassandra/Phoebe, its geometric because of the wealth influx. If it feels kludged its because the raid progression on Cassandra/Phoebe kind of sucks already and the economy probably needs another item's value pass instead of flagging dead men's clothes as the worst thing imaginable and making organs and bionics instantly decay when a body touches the ground and oh yeah a lot of bodies are going to touch the ground because the injury system is meant to down player characters so the enemies are forced to die for most downed-level injuries.

e. Rereading how storytellers work and it shouldn't do much to Cassandra/Phoebe raids? But would definitely make our Lord and Savior Randy throw bullshit at you early if your wealth started skyrocketing from advantageous raids.

I feel like the game might be better if it relied on raiders using improvised weapons which are pretty crap and armour which has major penalties in exchange for protection, and just using numbers to compensate. Probably also make most things awful quality too.

Basically take its raider design from like, fallout or something where they don't carry anything worth using for the most part but you could still break their stuff down for scrap. You could produce or buy better stuff but it should be expensive.

Go full quality vs quantity, basically.

Combine it with using the new strategic layer to let you detect and intercept raids earlier and ambush them, and also improve raider behaviour on the colony map, have them enter in multiple groups and then join up for the attack, but you can pick individual groups off before the attack to cut their numbers a bit etc.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Danaru posted:

Has anyone had an issue where no traders carry uranium? It could be a mod issue but it's driving me nuts

They always seem to have it when I'm flush with uranium, but when I have zero, they never have it.

:smith:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Is there any easier way or mod to micro manage your army?

If I want 30 people on mortars then I have to send each person to their own mortar manually.

Then if I get attacked by aliens I need to switch the soldiers to sniper rifles. Then it's tribals and I have to switch them to assault rifles. It quickly becomes a lot of effort. I feel like this game was made for 6 colonists with one of each work bench.

Power is becoming a bit of a headache too. After claiming all the thermo generators and exceeding them I'm now running mainly off of wood and wood burning generators are a pain in the rear end because refueling them counts as hauling.

Not to mentioning the insane amounts of wood to harvest.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dejawesp posted:

Is there any easier way or mod to micro manage your army?

If I want 30 people on mortars then I have to send each person to their own mortar manually.

The Defensive Positions mod will help with that. I also keep equipment racks near the front line with weapon swaps for the situation you're describing.

I also use Advanced Power Generation for my late-game power issues. The generators are pretty expensive, but they actually lets you support more than 3 sunlamps per geothermal vent. It's a little goofy having to use an entire fueled furnace to power a single light bulb.