Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
This is how the employee area looks like in-game:

The "ceiling" is basically all white, and the shadow is something you don't really notice since you're focusing on all the objects lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
lol if you expect goons to know what outside looks like

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dragonwagon posted:

The "ceiling" is basically all white, and the shadow is something you don't really notice since you're focusing on all the objects lying around.

The wall and two buildings are different colors, different heights and have different trim along the top. There's a bicycle and a forklift just chilling. There's a fluorescent bulb above one of the doors shining straight down. There's plenty of things pointing to this being outside. Are people really that dumb to think this was just a hallway or room inside a building? Yes. The answer is yes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Randalor posted:

The wall and two buildings are different colors, different heights and have different trim along the top. There's a bicycle and a forklift just chilling. There's a fluorescent bulb above one of the doors shining straight down. There's plenty of things pointing to this being outside. Are people really that dumb to think this was just a hallway or room inside a building? Yes. The answer is yes.

Also take into consideration that people were looking at that on a DS screen, not a JPG on your monitor.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The red paint bucket next to an entirely blue/green painting is an obvious clue.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Slime posted:

lol if you expect goons to know what outside looks like

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Listing things that make it obvious is missing the point a little, of course it's clear once you give it any kind of thought. The whole idea is that it's not something you think about, you just go with your initial impression from the name "Employee area" and low-resolution half a screen and whether its indoors or outdoors never actively enters your thoughts until it's specifically pointed out.

It's some perception-related phenomenon that no doubt has some fancy name. Brains are weird.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also it has a garage door in the back, which makes half the poo poo in there not seem weird. A big warehouse/empty garage in a film studio seems plausible, and with those DS screens not showing the sky very well/having the walls match up so cleanly does give the impression that it's just a big indoor room.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Randalor posted:

Of course it's obvious to you, you are specifically looking for stuff to decide wether it's inside or outside. That's not what people playing the game are doing though. All that stuff is just the background, while you're talking to people and investigating. It's one of those things you don't pay attention to until someone points it out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The red paint bucket next to an entirely blue/green painting is an obvious clue.

I haven't had a lot of experience with paint but I've never used a can that was the color of the stuff inside. The labels on the outside are generic whatever labels for the brand.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Dragonwagon posted:

Randalor posted:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FFXV is the first game I've beaten in a while that hasn't frustrated me with the length of the credits. I'm sure there's plenty I've missed that wouldn't if I did beat them, but still.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

AlphaKretin posted:

FFXV is the first game I've beaten in a while that hasn't frustrated me with the length of the credits. I'm sure there's plenty I've missed that wouldn't if I did beat them, but still.

I don't know if it's common, but I know some games let you hold a button to fast forward the credits. (Some even let you skip the credits entirely.) That should be more common.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Super Smash Bros was always really good about that, and more games could probably follow suit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's something immensely satisfying about going back to a boss in Bloodborne who kicked your rear end the first time and stomping his rear end into paste.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

There's something immensely satisfying about going back to a boss in Bloodborne who kicked your rear end the first time and stomping his rear end into paste.

Same when the random number gods smile on you in FTL and your ship is so well-equipped you just curb stomp the rebel flagship.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh man you just reminded me of Arkham City with its credits that last like 45 minutes and you shouldn't skip them because they have two interesting audio bits in them

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ubisoft are the worst for long credits because they have 43 teams in 23 different countries and you will see EVERY drat MEMBER OF THEM, even the ones the game wasn't even localised for.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The longest credits I ever remember sitting through were from the Scott Pilgrim game. For a sides-scrolling beat-em-up, they had like 20 minutes of credits it was insane.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Calaveron posted:

Oh man you just reminded me of Arkham City with its credits that last like 45 minutes and you shouldn't skip them because they have two interesting audio bits in them

What are these audio bits you speak of?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The longest credits are probably for Rock Band and friends because each of the hundreds of licensed songs gets its own detailed credit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

10 Beers posted:

What are these audio bits you speak of?

A voice-mail message the Joker left where he sings "only you" and Harley singing a lullaby to set up Harleys revenge DLC

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Ubisoft are the worst for long credits because they have 43 teams in 23 different countries and you will see EVERY drat MEMBER OF THEM, even the ones the game wasn't even localised for.

Mighty No 9 has 4 hours of credits.

FOUR HOURS.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mighty-no-9s-credits-are-nearly-four-hours-long/1100-6441202/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

All the new generation of Kickstarted media has huge lists of alphabetized doners filling up their credit list. Hyper Light Drifter also has a long list of credits, but it allows you to increase the speed at which the list scrolls and the top speed is satisfyingly quick.

from Tales of Berseria, I've been playing the first 10 hours or so and feeling like it's alright but that battles were missing something, specifically the ability to fight groups of monsters at the same time for better rewards. It's my favorite feature in RPGs because I like the risk/reward trade-off. So I'm pushing along through the first dungeon with a full party and feeling like maybe I should have gotten Yakuza 0 instead when lo and behold it introduces that very gameplay element. I like the combat system in most "Tales of" games and being able to fight larger battles that in turn let me learn skills faster was the thing I needed to keep me excited about random battles until Nioh comes out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You can actually lure groups together in Berseria to get exactly what you want. A black aura will show up around linked groups.

Additionally rewards scale with difficulty. There's also special monsters that'll show up in fights that are basically minibosses

Edit: nvm I mosread.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FFXIV is like "Little things: the MMO". The speed with which you level is rewardingly fast, the mages getting a little tank buddy to level with, fast travel, centralized grinding hubs with a variety of quests, the ability to completely change up your character's design after you've played for a while...

Jumping back in, after having played a bunch of Korean MMOs and Guild Wars II, is like night and day.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Platinum inserts minigames into their credits as a way to keep you interested in watching them. bayonetta 2 even has you doing mini fights and grading you for each fight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Please tell me there's an achievement for sitting through all that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I didn't realize anyone had actually bothered playing through that garbage game to get to the credits.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The new Doom has about the only credits I actually stuck around and watched after beating since the actually put some work into it instead of just a scroll of names for 4 hours (and the song shredded my face off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCANbxW8qc

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I didn't realize anyone had actually bothered playing through that garbage game to get to the credits.

Not only did someone play through it, but they played it enough to speedrun it at agdq.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finished MN9 twice, ama.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Not only did someone play through it, but they played it enough to speedrun it at agdq.

Please tell me the longest part of the speedrun is the credits.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Len posted:

Please tell me the longest part of the speedrun is the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBGO9dQAdPM&t=988s

Here you go dude. He does it in 46:58

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In uncharted 4 the hit indicator is orange instead of white if it was a killing hit. This is incredibly nice and I'm not sure why this is the first game where ever I've seen it done.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The new Doom has about the only credits I actually stuck around and watched after beating since the actually put some work into it instead of just a scroll of names for 4 hours (and the song shredded my face off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCANbxW8qc

I blasted the volume so hard when I beat this game, god drat the music in the new doom is rockin as gently caress.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for bringing the discussion to DOOM music, I keep forgetting you can buy it now. That, Wolfenstein, and Hotline Miami are the only soundtracks I've felt were worth buying so far.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Thanks for bringing the discussion to DOOM music, I keep forgetting you can buy it now. That, Wolfenstein, and Hotline Miami are the only soundtracks I've felt were worth buying so far.

I bought the original Quake precisely because its soundtrack was done by nine inch nails. And thus a three-decade long gaming hobby was born.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Digirat posted:

In uncharted 4 the hit indicator is orange instead of white if it was a killing hit. This is incredibly nice and I'm not sure why this is the first game where ever I've seen it done.

Overwatch has a white X around your reticle upon hitting an enemy, a slightly larger red X for headshots, and a skull emblem when it's the killing blow. It's incredibly useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Detective Buttfuck posted:

The Humble Bundle including the soundtrack of almost everything you buy and having it as a simple separate zip you can download is so handy, especially compared to Steam where you usually have to pay separately for them and then dig around in a bunch of esoteric install folders or use a poorly-labeled music player built into the client to find the actual files,