Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the best place to look at prices for this game? I'm going to trade some magic cards for these cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man, it sure is a kick in the groin when you get a bb8 or Jedi robes from a booster. I guess I can use them as proxy dice

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the best place to look at prices for this game? I'm going to trade some magic cards for these cards.

Ebay is the most accurate. Otherwise use a combination of CoolStuffInc and MiniatureMarket. They also have buy prices which help. But i'd just use Ebay.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Jedi Robes are really good at least. Poor BB-8. :(

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Don't say mean things about my Jedi PJs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

Ebay is the most accurate. Otherwise use a combination of CoolStuffInc and MiniatureMarket. They also have buy prices which help. But i'd just use Ebay.

Thanks. Guy ended up just wanting $80 of magic cards for a box+starters worth and I saw Han and Veers and Kylo's lightsaber and black one so I guess at least I get the $80 worth.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks. Guy ended up just wanting $80 of magic cards for a box+starters worth and I saw Han and Veers and Kylo's lightsaber and black one so I guess at least I get the $80 worth.

If it's a full box the $80 in MTG cards is a fantastic deal. A full box would mean there should be 3 more legendarys there, since each box has 6. Even knowing those few cards, $80 is still a decent deal. Kylo's saber is $20, Han is $35, a starter is $15 and black one is $10. So as long as there are some other rares there you are getting a decent deal.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I finally managed to get my hands on some cards! Is there a dedicated trading thread for this game yet?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I finally managed to get my hands on some cards! Is there a dedicated trading thread for this game yet?

I don't think so, and more to the point it's weird to bring up trading sometimes w/r/t SWD, especially online. I've gotten a lot of blowback for asking for trades when a lot of people literally cannot get their hands on the game at all, which I understand on the one hand and on the other it's like, dude, I want a Han Solo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I opened up one of my boxes today.
My legendaries were, in ascending order of excitingness, Han Solo, Black One, Phasma, Crime Lord, Force Choke, and Luke Skywalker.

I was really excited for Han Solo, but then it turns out he's one of the infamous misprints with three 1 resource sides :smith:
He's not tournament legal and not even playable.

I also opened Jedi robes, 2 BB-8s, a Rey's Staff, and 2 bloody Tie fighters.

I rate that box a C-

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

If it's a full box the $80 in MTG cards is a fantastic deal. A full box would mean there should be 3 more legendarys there, since each box has 6. Even knowing those few cards, $80 is still a decent deal. Kylo's saber is $20, Han is $35, a starter is $15 and black one is $10. So as long as there are some other rares there you are getting a decent deal.

Sweet. Got my husbando Poe and crime lord too.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Anyone else running eLuke and if so let me download your technology

I could use a good eLuke write-up since I'm bad at this game and that archetype especially

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

This guy was an excellent trading partner, very communicative and got my stuff post-haste. Much obliged, and would recommend in the future.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

canyoneer posted:

I opened up one of my boxes today.
My legendaries were, in ascending order of excitingness, Han Solo, Black One, Phasma, Crime Lord, Force Choke, and Luke Skywalker.

I was really excited for Han Solo, but then it turns out he's one of the infamous misprints with three 1 resource sides :smith:
He's not tournament legal and not even playable.

I also opened Jedi robes, 2 BB-8s, a Rey's Staff, and 2 bloody Tie fighters.

I rate that box a C-

Will FFG not replace that Han die? Seems like it's pretty easy to verify it is their error.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Ultiville posted:

Will FFG not replace that Han die? Seems like it's pretty easy to verify it is their error.

Based on the Asmodee (FFG distributor) website FAQ:

"For any requests regarding English language Star Wars: Destiny booster packs, you must have a photo and a copy of your receipt from within the last 30 days. In addition, we will not service any defects with common or uncommon cards. In response to a perceived factory defect for rare or legendary card and/or die we will replace the card, but we will not replace the exact die. If there is a factory defect with a die, we will send out a sealed booster pack as a replacement."

Basically it's lazy and really poor customer service, especially with a known defect in one of the most recognized and sought-after cards in the game. If it was with something like an Infantry Grenade nobody would give a poo poo, but this Han. The appropriate response would be to at least exchange the die for a correct one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I understand them not wanting to send replacement dice because of people abusing it to get free epic characters. They've never asked for the parts in return which is why it is how it is but I think this now would be the time to do so.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pretty big tournament about to start wish me luck my dudes

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

The force will be with you, Guts and Bolts. Always.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I want to crack a 3rd box of Awakenings, but my store didn't get the one they were gonna hold for me. :c

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

guts and bolts posted:

May the Force be with you, user guts and bolts.

Managed to scrounge 5 packs at a games store yesterday when I was there for a Magic judge conference. Got a few medium rares I was missing but no legendaries. I've got pre-orders in for boxes from pretty much every games store within an hour, but the promised restock apparently either didn't appear or was tiny, sigh.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Sealed league week two went perfect. I opened 2 more packs, got an Immobilize and Survival Gear. Both are useless to me but traded the former and two Tactical Masteries for a DL-44 Heavy Blaster and Hyperspace Jump. Went 3-0 because in both the last games, Han had Second Chance on him twice and was never left the game despite taking over 20 total damage. It's especially powerful when games go to time and the first tiebreaker is damage showing on characters.

I'll take Han, Second Chance, Starship Graveyard and Hyperspace Jump over the Hyperloop any day.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Helion posted:

The force will be with you, Guts and Bolts. Always.

Ultiville posted:

May the Force be with you, user guts and bolts.

Thank you muchly, my guys

So, I won one of the eight Destiny pre-release card boxes and the FO TIE promo, but only went 4-2 on the day and only 1-2 in the tourney itself before dropping, which was, as they say in the business, not good enough

I rolled really cold, which is always a challenge, but not having the physical copies of OwtF killed me - I rely on those Focus faces to normalize my outcomes and I loaned the cards away

(I split up some of my cards so :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: could play, and I figured I'd show up to the event with a fun deck and let's see what people brought, I won't bring some monster like All-In eLuke)

Joke's on me, there's more than twenty people there and it felt like half of them brought the exact netlist TinyGrimes posted for his eBala/Jango/Trooper deck or eJango/eVeers

Round One
ePadme/Rebel Trooper/Hired Gun
He got both Second Chances on his Hired Gun. It took a while but we killed him. I honestly just don't think people are expecting eHan/eRey unless they're total smarks at this point - I had to explain what I was doing multiple times, and it should serve as a lesson that I shouldn't assume that everybody knows exactly what is going on with my action economy. I was verbalizing but not explaining, so this opponent at first was just straight up curious as to what the gently caress was happening. After I gave him the run-down, he promptly said "That's gay," which made me feel less bad about brutalizing his deck. Win

Round Two
eRey/Padawan/Padawan
Played against a friendly guy from another FLGS nominally. He's super cool and very chill, and I'm that guy who ironically laughs and looks at the sky when I roll blanks for the third consecutive time, so I try to learn from his attitude whenever I can. Anyway I killed both Padawans before going after Rey, which serves me right. Lesson learned: kill Rey. I blew out the two scrublords in the first two rounds (!!), then promptly never rolled damage on Han again and when Rey died it was curtains. I almost won on time, and probably could've "considered my options" for a few seconds more so that the next round of play wouldn't start, but like I said this guy is a good dude and I need to learn to be a better sport. So I started the next round and Han finally died after Second Chancing three times. Loss

Round Three
eBala-Tik/Jango/First Order Stormtrooper
Netlisted verbatim, rolled really hot. I'm salty I didn't bring my full might to bear, and I should've expected to run into this deck and others in the same archetype, but I think I was just being a dick in taking the "moral high ground." The point is to win, and I didn't bring my best deck because I thought I'd be dealing with people who couldn't find product and I wanted to get the girlfriend into the tourney so we could win more stuff, but I also probably sabotaged myself so I could pretend to feel superior to netlisters who beat me. I'm not actually, though. I am, in fact, terrible at Star Wars Destiny, and especially at rolling dice. Loss

At this point I dropped, but one of the better local players wanted to test a new deck with me

Casuals
eJabba/Jango
Weird deck. Kinda durdle-y. Fight Dirty is disgusting in this deck but otherwise I was never concerned about losing. I still had the handicapped version of my Han/Rey deck rolling and completely eradicated this Jabba/Jango thing the first time, then still convincingly won the second time. He rolled the special result on Thermal Detonator three consecutive times, and we agreed he will roll my dice for me at all future events Win

eJabba/Vader
This guy finished high in the tournament and used his tourney deck against mine, and I'd been able to reclaim the copies of my loaned cards. So I smote him and claimed the pre-release box as my prize. eJabba doesn't like it when his only options to Crime Lord either creates a Force ghost or fails to Han Solo. Win

eJango/eVeers
Girlfriend's deck, so we RIGHTEOUSLY BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT Win

All in all it was a really fun time and I learned some valuable lessons and got some valuable playtesting in with Han and Rey, which I'm really liking a lot. Also, I really like Destiny. It's a great game. Make more of it, FFG, please

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You'll just have to understand that people change when it's a tournament. Always expect people to play the best deck they can play, because people like to win. I still play for-fun decks and that's all i've ever had built, but I expect i'll bring a competitive deck to a tournament just because I know everyone else will be. Getting steamrolled in a tournament is not fun.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ShowTime posted:

You'll just have to understand that people change when it's a tournament. Always expect people to play the best deck they can play, because people like to win. I still play for-fun decks and that's all i've ever had built, but I expect i'll bring a competitive deck to a tournament just because I know everyone else will be. Getting steamrolled in a tournament is not fun.

Or at least, it takes a certain mentality to still have fun being steamrolled in a tournament. I brought a "fun deck" to a Thrones Regional last year and went 0-6, and enjoyed losing every single game, knowing full well that I was coming to the table with janky combos that weren't likely to stand up against a competitive metagame. (It was Stark/Stag for the curious, trying to capitalize on Selmy & Stark Lords & Ladies, and using the Eyrie to keep him alive as well. Real bad stuff.)

But otherwise the above is absolutely true. Come with your game face on, because everyone else generally will.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm running a tournament Wednesday and playing in it as well. I've got almost a playset of every card, but most people only have basically their one deck, maybe two. For that reason I don't want to netdeck and smash face. I don't care if other people are bringing Jango/Veers, I don't want to create the appearance that it's not worth trying because I'm going to outpace everyone else because I was lucky enough to have the hookups, the store credit, and the foresight to buy as much as I could.

I'm probably going to lend out decks also. I have:

eJabba/Vader: No netdecking, not that I'm against it. Just a deck I put together and tweaked over some testing. I don't have any Force Chokes, but Immobilize and On the Hunt are good replacements.

Trooper x2/Nightsister/Bala-Tik: Someone posted it in this thread, I forget who, sorry. Lots of redeploy upgrades and resource ramp into TIEs and AT-ST. The deck probably loses to Cunning if I'm playing AT-STs. I've won games where I play just a TIE and two redeploy weapons, which is bizarre to me since it's definitely less powerful than the decks I was playing against. It's just lots of dice.

eHan/eRey, same as guts and bolts used with the tweaks below.

Thanks for the tournament write-up! I took out one Scramble and one Heroism for a Daring Escape and a BB-8. Daring Escape naturally has ambush and I think it might be worth it even though it costs 2. Can't hurt to try it out! I'll probably take the BB-8 out whenever my girlfriend isn't playing the deck.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I also have at least 2 of everything, including legendarys, but I try and not play the completely busted decks stuffed full of legendarys. That said, I know some people will have their tier 1 deck complete and some others won't. So it's hard to find a middle ground. I'll probably just bring Phasma/Stormtrooper/Stormtrooper, or Phasma/Stormstrooper/BalaTik. There are some really good yellow cards i'd love to bring and Bala Tik is probably the best 8-pt option that still allows me to bring a non-unique character to take advantage of Phasmas ability.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ShowTime posted:

I figured that people would bring their best decks, but to this point the locals have only been able to cobble together some bad decks. (Someone at the FLGS said he was going to run Han/Rey too after I brought it up, except he didn't like DL-44 because it was "too expensive." I couldn't tell if he meant resources, in which case he grossly misunderstood how Scavenge, Starship Graveyard, and upgrade ramping work, or if he meant singles costs, which... I don't know how much the DL-44 is by now. Like $15? Who can say.)

(... okay I can say, we're at a computer, my dudes.)

(I looked it up. It's $4.50 at discountgames.)

There were a lot of people who showed up from, I'm assuming, Other Places™, so I wasn't really factoring them in to the tournament turn-out when I honestly should have from the start. What's more, Jango decks tend to capitalize on the fact that they run no legendaries and still run effectively - the eJango/eVeers deck I netlisted to test my decks against has a grand total of zero legendary cards in it. While this is nice in that it means people don't get priced out of good cards/decks, it's incredibly lovely because Jango warps the whole meta around himself like a particularly cozy scarf, and you or anyone else can build an effective facsimile of the deck on the cheap, so it is everywhere.

Lesson learned: people will have completed decks, so I'm not an rear end in a top hat for bringing a non-handicapped deck.

Merauder posted:

Or at least, it takes a certain mentality to still have fun being steamrolled in a tournament. I brought a "fun deck" to a Thrones Regional last year and went 0-6, and enjoyed losing every single game, knowing full well that I was coming to the table with janky combos that weren't likely to stand up against a competitive metagame. (It was Stark/Stag for the curious, trying to capitalize on Selmy & Stark Lords & Ladies, and using the Eyrie to keep him alive as well. Real bad stuff.)

But otherwise the above is absolutely true. Come with your game face on, because everyone else generally will.

I still had fun! I rolled cold, which I'm used to because of X-Wing, FFG's other wallet-stealing collectible game, and rolling cold just straight up isn't fun. (I was trying to be good natured about it, but I got a few sympathetic comments even from complete strangers watching, which was nice. "Holy poo poo," muttered someone who watched my Han fail to roll a damage face on either of his die, or the Jetpack, or the DL-44, or the Holdout Blaster, for the fourth consecutive time. Holy poo poo indeed.) It was mitigated by the fact that Destiny lets you re-chuck your dice a lot, and also because it's just a fun game. If I'd kept OwtF in my deck, I think I win the Rey/Padawan/Padawan game easily, even killing the two Padawans first. I also maybe have a shot at beating the eBala/Jango/Trooper list. I never felt like I was getting crushed, just a little unlucky and that I was playing with a self-imposed handicap. At the next FLGS tourney I know to not make the second mistake, and the first is completely up to laughing gods. In the grim darkness of 2017, there are only blanks.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Was out at a convention this weekend, brought 6 different decks so people could try the game out if they were interested.

Everyone enjoyed it, but there were only about 6 starters available in the shops which got snapped up and zero boosters. Absent product, people can't get into the game.

So, FFG need to come up with a clever plan when they release Spirit of Rebellion, to gateway all these potential new players into the game.
Might be deck building clinics around the new dice from Spirit of Rebellion along with the commons and uncommons from both sets, they could print prize support of alt arts of key uncommons from set 1 for release tournaments (like Dug In and Electroshock) or maybe even do something more drastic.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Boxes in stock at Team Covenant: https://teamcovenant.com/product/awakenings-booster-box-display-case-gravity-feed

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the stock updates Fozzy, I picked up some boxes from BoardGameBliss when you posted them earlier.

Anyone know of a place with Starters in stock for a reasonable price?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Went 10-7 doing staff challenges at our PAX South booth this weekend. Jango/Veers was my best performer, but I also brought Luke/Ackbar, Vader/Raider, and Han/Rey. Lots of Destiny!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Team Covenant are kinda poo poo heads for being so connected with FFG while having the highest prices around for their product. gently caress their smug branding, I'm not paying $20+ more for something just because it's hard to find right now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Team Covenant are kinda poo poo heads for being so connected with FFG while having the highest prices around for their product. gently caress their smug branding, I'm not paying $20+ more for something just because it's hard to find right now.

I keep refreshing the page. It cycles between "In Stock", "Only 1 left in stock" and "3 left in stock".
Weird.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bottom Liner posted:

I am and I'm going to crack 2 boxes and sell all the extras and still make profit.

e: oh wow this is funny, though: https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-booster-box-gravity-feed-subscription

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 30, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, all of their subscriptions are a loving rip-off. Everything they sell is basically. You can still make profit flipping Destiny boxes, but that's only because the market is so starved and prices are inflated. If FFG ever gets on top of production, Covenants prices will be a joke. $120 bucks for what other stores are selling for <$90 shipped is laughable.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
They're shitheads for just selling at MSRP? Actually a little less? Seems more than a little unfair to TC. There's no shortage of stores charging ABOVE MSRP, given the shortages.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

pbpancho posted:

They're shitheads for just selling at MSRP? Actually a little less? Seems more than a little unfair to TC. There's no shortage of stores charging ABOVE MSRP, given the shortages.

$2.99 x 32 packs is $95.68 MSRP. Even with sales tax and shipping added in, the $106 they're asking is a bit high. I don't think it's quite as overblown as BottomLiner is making it out to be, but they're definitely above MSRP.

e: vvv Whoops, you're right. No complaints here then!

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 30, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

$2.99 x 32 packs is $95.68 MSRP. Even with sales tax and shipping added in, the $106 they're asking is a bit high. I don't think it's quite as overblown as BottomLiner is making it out to be, but they're definitely above MSRP.

36 packs in a box, $107.64

They're actually cutting us a deal!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've just always been rubbed wrong by their "we're so slick so you can pay the premium for our Brand TM" style, and this is just an extension of that. Their saga sets also pissed me off since they said it includes a playset of the entire set (1 of each legendary) but I had to go through 3 channels of support to get confirmation that it doesn't include starter cards. Literally every other big online retailer is a better choice for FFG product.

MSRP is $106 so I don't see how $106.99 is actually a little lower than MSRP.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Team Covenant is to Destiny what StarCityGames is to Magic. The most prolific company out there, but their prices are top-end. Most stores are selling boxes for around $90.

Worth noting that a box is 36 packs, so 36 x 3 = $108. For reference, Magic boxes have 36 packs and the MSRP on a pack is $4, which adds up to $144, but no store in their right mind sells a box for more than $110. Full per-pack price for a sealed box of any TCG is outlandish.