Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

When do i need to check back for the conclusion of apple guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

When do i need to check back for the conclusion of apple guy?

After the bell on Jan 31st. The dude's webcam is starting at 330 pm EST.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5qsf4r/cosigned_a_student_loan_for_a_friend_3_times_in_a/

quote:

When I was 20-21 in community college I became friends with a person twice my age. I was pretty reckless and got myself into a terrible financial situation (credit cards, credit loans, you name it). This friend was worse off than me due to medical bills, etc, and was beginning a graduate program. She asked me to co-sign a student loan, to which I did because my credit was hosed and I did not give a poo poo about the future (apparently). She asked me to re-up twice and I did. This was a combination of being a young (stupid) person and having a very manipulative friendship that did not end well.

This person and I have not spoken in 4 years. I'm currently 27, in my first year in a doctoral graduate program. I was able to work my way out of nearly all of my debt (except for my ever-increasing student loan debt), including rebuilding my credit with a secured credit card! Yay me.

But I received a letter in the mail today that reminded me about this past co-signature. It said that she was delinquent on payments. This is the first time I have received anything. I don't know anything about what is happening with this person. She was a toxic presence in my life and I do not keep in any kind of touch. However, just as I'm starting to think about the future and become a responsible adult, I'm reminded about the possibility of this person loving my life up (all over again, but that's another story).

In doing some Google research I found nothing but hopelessness. What is my best case scenario (other than that she has gotten her act together and pays everything off without any worries)? I just need to have a realistic perspective on what my future could look like.

Turns out it's about 15k. Small price to pay for being really stupid I guess.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

flosofl posted:

But they had all the supporting documentation needed to establish that ID. So barring any red-flags associated with that identity, they *were* that person to any entity doing a reasonable effort to verify.

What is so difficult for you to understand?

But if they aren't actually that person, the effort to identify that person obviously wasn't effective. There is room for better consumer protection here.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

At the cost, potentially, of more burdensome processes which will probably disproportionately affect certain groups. It's not necessarily free.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so what's his break even number again on AAPL? It ended the day Friday at 121.95.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

But if they aren't actually that person, the effort to identify that person obviously wasn't effective. There is room for better consumer protection here.

Not for the type of fraud we're talking about. A motivated family member who really wants to commit identity theft is going to be very difficult to stop. The additional levels of security needed to prevent family member identity theft would choke out regular lending. The thing is you can't commit that kind of fraud with anonymity, which is why you need people willing to file police reports.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I suspect you're being deliberately thick.

The consumer protection is this: you file a report with the police. It's a lot easier to clear all that poo poo up with that. If you don't want to do that against a family member, then tough poo poo. You made your choice and obviously you relationship with them is more important than your credit.

If you're trying to say it shouldn't happen in the first, then gently caress off. Go back to counting matches or whatever, the beep boop society you're looking for doesn't exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: dumb contribution to dumb derail, nm

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 30, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now I have to re-learn a subjunctive avatar. You'll always be guy at a computer in our hearts.

As content, buying avs, BWM?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I'd hope that most people aren't willing to give up their biometric data in the name of "consumer protection".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd hope that most people aren't willing to give up their biometric data in the name of "consumer protection".

Of course not, that's government meddling. However this ad says if I give them my fingerprints and a DNA sample I get 50% off my next meal at Denny's!!!

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

And then they said "Looks like $15K all said. I guess in the long run that will be chump change compared to my grad school loans."

Which... I mean...

Doctoral Degree Grad school loans?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sepherothic posted:

And then they said "Looks like $15K all said. I guess in the long run that will be chump change compared to my grad school loans."

Which... I mean...

If he's getting a PsyD or something those usually cost a ton. If it's a PhD then idk why anyone would ever sign up for an unfunded program.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sepherothic posted:

Which... I mean...

could be a JD, Ddiv, etc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Let me tell you about DeVry's graduate program from the Kaiser institute!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

No it's GWM because my in-laws insisted on the trip and paid for it. The bird out of focus is BWcameraphone and going was BWL. :suicide:

Do you want one with the whites blown out instead or shall we continue this exciting conversation about account fraud and parental financial abuse?

Sounds like bad with inheritance on your wife's part.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like bad with inheritance on your wife's part.

They've got life insurance.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ego symphonic posted:

If it's a PhD then idk why anyone would ever sign up for an unfunded program.

Let me introduce you to Trump's America...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Ornamented Death posted:

Let me introduce you to Trump's America...

by going to Trump University.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Okay, so what's his break even number again on AAPL? It ended the day Friday at 121.95.

$120.23 before Feb 17

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Devian666 posted:

by going to Trump University.

Every man, woman, and child on earth is gonna be an honorary graduate by the time he's removed from office.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Every man, woman, and child on earth is gonna be an honorary graduate by the time he's removed from office.

He's doing a great job so far (in being compared to Nixon) in his second week. BWM to defy the President, GWL to not have to deal with the President anymore.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/88943954/trump-fires-acting-us-attorney-general-yates

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BWM personal anecdote time:

A former friend of mine, who recently graduated from college, received a large inheritance from his father dying a bit over a year ago. He(the friend) owns his own condo, and is basically the textbook definition of a man-child. He's a loving slob and sometime he'll go for days without showering. Well, he's about to sell his condo to buy a house, so that he can move in this husband and wife with a child that he met a couple weeks ago on okcupid(think he met the wife there but he is dating both of them I think).

His inheritance is mostly stocks, so I hope nothing crazy happens to wipe out the market in the next few years :v:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Not to be judgmental but that sounds like a very odd relationship :psyduck:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It sounds like a lost episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ohgodwhat posted:

Not to be judgmental but that sounds like a very odd relationship :psyduck:

Even knowing a lot of people in polyamorous relationships, it's the weirdest one i've personally encountered.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

skull mask mcgee posted:

BWM personal anecdote time:

A former friend of mine, who recently graduated from college, received a large inheritance from his father dying a bit over a year ago. He(the friend) owns his own condo, and is basically the textbook definition of a man-child. He's a loving slob and sometime he'll go for days without showering. Well, he's about to sell his condo to buy a house, so that he can move in this husband and wife with a child that he met a couple weeks ago on okcupid(think he met the wife there but he is dating both of them I think).

His inheritance is mostly stocks, so I hope nothing crazy happens to wipe out the market in the next few years :v:

Maybe he's dating the child too. :aatrek:

Jazz Police
Nov 6, 2009

It's your fault, man.
Constantly denied for an apartment...

It's a wild ride of previous and current terrible financial decisions. What reddit user BeerMagic has learned is that it's not his fault, he's ready to rent an apartment again, and people should be nicer to him.

Also, his girlfriend works 10 hours/week at minimum wage, so she's going to be a big contributor once they can get a new place.

He's a horrible writer, so I've just pulled some choice quotes from OP.

quote:

I used to live on my own in an apartment complex under Edward Rose. I lived there for about 2 years, and ran into financial hardship. I've had really bad luck with jobs, and struggling with depression made keeping one a lot worse. I've always made rent payments, but they were late. I was never evicted, only that the landlord decided not to renew my lease due to late payments, and I didn't leave the apartment a disaster after I left.

It's been over a year since I've lived there, and I've been trying to recover my credit. Currently sitting at 511 with a few thousand dollars in debt.
My debt is unpaid medical bills, student loans that have taken my tax returns for the year of 2015, and quite possibly 2016. An old Amazon store card that was paid off, and an old utility bill.

I've made payments on some of these debts, not consecutively, but whenever I have some cash to throw at them.

I've been working at this current job for roughly 2 months, and I pull in $2000 a month.

quote:

My bills monthly are:
$400 Car payment with 15% interest (mega ouch) $300 health insurance + dental $200 phone bill
and a $1400 chiropractor bill that I've been trying to toss a little bit of money here and there to pay off. The Dr. is working with me on payments and he's pretty laid back.

In the comments posted:

Maybe posting my monthly bills was a mistake, I'm not really looking to get different monthly bills. I can try to refinance the car in a few months, but other than that, the car is fine. Honestly the car is the only thing building my credit right now.
Theres still a solid amount of money left over even after my monthly expenses.

Jazz Police
Nov 6, 2009

It's your fault, man.
That reddit post got deleted as I made my comment, mostly because everyone's calling him a dipshit.

I still have the full, terrible thing available. Lucky us!
I've improved the formatting, everything else is [sic]

Constantly denied a for an apartment, no matter how good or run down posted:

Hey PF,
I used to live on my own in an apartment complex under Edward Rose. I lived there for about 2 years, and ran into financial hardship. I've had really bad luck with jobs, and struggling with depression made keeping one a lot worse. I've always made rent payments, but they were late. I was never evicted, only that the landlord decided not to renew my lease due to late payments, and I didn't leave the apartment a disaster after I left.

It's been over a year since I've lived there, and I've been trying to recover my credit. Currently sitting at 511 with a few thousand dollars in debt.
My debt is unpaid medical bills, student loans that have taken my tax returns for the year of 2015, and quite possibly 2016. An old Amazon store card that was paid off, and an old utility bill.
I've made payments on some of these debts, not consecutively, but whenever I have some cash to throw at them.
I've been working at this current job for roughly 2 months, and I pull in $2000 a month.

Back on topic to the apartments - I keep getting denied for places. I'm not sure how Edward Rose works, they have a monopoly on the apartments within a reasonable distance to my work.
One of the apartments that I applied to (the one I previously lived at over a year ago) denied me AND my girlfriend due to Past landlord history. We haven't got the letter in the mail, but that's vaguely what we were told over the phone.

Am I unable to apply to any apartment under Edward rose? They all seem to be different apartment complexes under one Edward rose company.
I only have a few months before I have to find another place, we've been living with my Girlfriends dad for over a year now, and he wants me to find a place around April, and it doesn't seem like he's willing to push it back.

My bills monthly are:
$400 Car payment with 15% interest (mega ouch) $300 health insurance + dental $200 phone bill
and a $1400 chiropractor bill that I've been trying to toss a little bit of money here and there to pay off. The Dr. is working with me on payments and he's pretty laid back.
My girlfriend currently goes to school full time, and she has a job thats minimum wage and is only paying her 10 hours a week as they're about to go under, so she's trying to find a new job after she's done with school around April.

How do I get myself in a better spot? I've even applied to apartments in a not so good area, and get denied. My girlfriend thinks we should try and take out a 50k mortgage and get a cheap house in the area as the mortgage payments would be about 200 a month. But if I can't even get approved for a credit card, or a low interest car payment, then what are my chances of getting approved for a mortgage? Her credit is better than mine, about 650.

Edit: I make about $2000 a month, not a week. I'd love to make $2000 a week ahaha..

Edit 2: I guess I'm saying its not so bad because we're living with her dad for $40 every couple of months. My monthly bills come to $900 a month. With the rental and utility expenses split among 2 people (because a lot of people seem to think I'm trying to do this alone even though I'm stating that the bills are going to be split with my girlfriend and I) they don't seem that bad. The phone bill I'm only temporarily paying by myself because my GF is in the process of getting a new job while she finishes school. Her current job is going under.

SO, Phone bill for ME personally is only going to be $100 a month on unlimited which is a pretty okay deal imo. Car is mine, I'll see about getting it financed. Health insurance, I'm not really sure about, I didn't qualify for ACA and the plan I have was the lowest I could find for what I need covered. and rent we're looking at 500-600 a month, and utilities would be split too. So there's plenty of money left over even after my monthly expenses. But my goal is to get everything paid off before we move, or at least it was before we had a deadline.

Edit 3: Holy poo poo, thank you for all the responses, I'm really sorry if I seem like I'm being stubborn, I don't really have any nice things after the last 2 years, I've had to sell a lot of poo poo and I am more on my feet now than I ever have been in the past. So giving up some of the last few things that I do have is difficult. I'll see about getting things refinanced and adjusted to get lower payments, but see the number 2 edit as to why I don't believe it's that un-affordable.

Edit 4: A LOT of responses, Ill try to reply to you guys as soon as I can.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I can't imagine making ends meet on $2000 a month.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I can, but not with a $400 car payment, especially not with $200 phone payment.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Especially with a $400 car payment and a $200 phone bill

^^^efb

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
AAPL dude is streaming. Its the weirdest thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What was his strike price?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I can't imagine making ends meet on $2000 a month.

Eh, if we're talking net pay then that's very workable in a low COL area with zero debt.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

AAPL dude is streaming. Its the weirdest thing.

:stonk:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

This is BWL.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am not at all surprised that this austimal moron lost 2.5 million dollars based on this stream.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

George H.W. oval office posted:

I am not at all surprised that this austimal moron lost 2.5 million dollars based on this stream.

Yeah but if Apple drops to 116 he's going to make a million back! ONE LAST YOLO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah but if Apple drops to 116 he's going to make a million back! ONE LAST YOLO!

There's a lot of positive earnings news and the price is creeping up. What could possibly go wrong?

• Locked thread