Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Not as far as I know

they do have audio actually! it had some desync issues when I watched individual rounds, but it does work

also, best moment form the major https://gfycat.com/AnimatedKindheartedIcelandgull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Famethrowa posted:

they do have audio actually! it had some desync issues when I watched individual rounds, but it does work

also, best moment form the major https://gfycat.com/AnimatedKindheartedIcelandgull

Oh! i just skipped round to round on the vod when checking out some details earlier so i guess that broke the casting

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I don't play CS and I think I started watching pro play during the Columbus Major. I have a few basic questions that I'd appreciate answers to.

What do you drop when you die? I know you can drop defuse kits and weapons. Do you drop both weapons? Do you drop grenades?

I felt like during this event that I saw a lot more of the UMP than I had previously? Is that correct? If so, why?

When I went to season one of ELeague, people groaned when Nuke came up. During this event people booed a bit when it was banned, and cheered when it was picked. This may be because VP was very popular in the crowd and it was a strong map of theirs, and I cannot recall if it was only in the context of VP matches when it was booed/cheered. Is Nuke a well liked map now?

I now have a Train pin from the first ELeague season, and an unopened pin from this Major. Do these pins have any monetary value?

I root for VP and Taz because I'm an old, bald guy too. I think at this Major I most envied Rubino's hair. It looks nice and thick. Who has the best hair in CS?

In a previous post, I mentioned how the interior looks like you are in an Arabian courtyard on a clear night. Here's a pic of that, in case anyone is interested, though you probably won't be able to see the stars:

e: 0.0@0dpi

venutolo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 30, 2017

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

venutolo posted:

I don't play CS and I think I started watching pro play during the Columbus Major. I have a few basic questions that I'd appreciate answers to.

What do you drop when you die? I know you can drop defuse kits and weapons. Do you drop both weapons? Do you drop grenades?

You drop whatever primary weapon you currently have, or if you don't have one at all then it's the pistol that you're carrying. You do drop grenades if you have any that are unused. *cue mcvey: you just died with $1200 worth of nades.*

quote:

I felt like during this event that I saw a lot more of the UMP than I had previously? Is that correct? If so, why?

The UMP has always been a popular SMG as it costs very little and it has high accuracy and damage to armored opponents. A $1200 weapon that has almost the same power at close-to-medium range as an M4 or AK? Yes please.

quote:

When I went to season one of ELeague, people groaned when Nuke came up. During this event people booed a bit when it was banned, and cheered when it was picked. This may be because VP was very popular in the crowd and it was a strong map of theirs, and I cannot recall if it was only in the context of VP matches when it was booed/cheered. Is Nuke a well liked map now?

This is just me speculating as I've always liked Nuke, but before it was remade it was always seen as a map where if you started CT then there's a 95% chance that you're winning that game. Since the reworking it has become a bit more balanced, offering it for highly entertaining and competitive games like we saw at this major.

quote:

I now have a Train pin from the first ELeague season, and an unopened pin from this Major. Do these pins have any monetary value?

I'm sure the physical pins themselves have some monetary value, but it can range from just a few dollars all the way up to $80+. It just depends on which ones you have. Here's a place that you can check!

quote:

I root for VP and Taz because I'm an old, bald guy too. I think at this Major I most envied Rubino's hair. It looks nice and thick. Who has the best hair in CS?

I do.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 30, 2017

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

venutolo posted:

In a previous post, I mentioned how the interior looks like you are in an Arabian courtyard on a clear night. Here's a pic of that, in case anyone is interested, though you probably won't be able to see the stars:

e: 0.0@0dpi
1. You drop:
- Primary weapon (if you have one), otherwise, secondary weapon
- The last grenade you had out (if you had any at all)
- Bomb/defuse kit if you're holding one
2. The meta is shifting towards the UMP because it's super cheap, has high armor penetration and has a $600 kill bonus. It's kinda always been there but the high level pros have started to use it with more success as of late.
3. I personally hate watching Nuke and I feel that most people would agree. I don't think I could clearly tell you why, though.
4. I think they do, obviously not everyone can attend the live events to get one.
5. https://www.malestandard.com/axe-hair-takes-cloud9-team-house-gamers-biofrost-autimatic-hauntzer-stewie2k/

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's the most expensive grenade that's dropped, not whatever else you guys are saying.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Garfu posted:

It's the most expensive grenade that's dropped, not whatever else you guys are saying.

yeah well i always use all my grenades so i never drop anything :smug:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

For a while there wasn't really a good meta on Newke and even the old pros seemed a bit lost as to how to play with the new changes.

Now the meta has adjusted, teams are more coordinated, and the spectator cameramen are much better at framing the action.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Ump is pretty dang accurate when moving too and can do a bang up job at longer ranges so essentially it is like a mini FAMAS and is constantly compared to it. I wouldn't be surprised if all the action it saw would trigger a nerf or buff, you used to see mp7 once in awhile but the uMP has become the mp5 of this generation.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

To be fair the UMP has always been an awesome SMG and I loved to use the staple gun back in 1.6.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

We back up to silver 4 boys

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Soulex posted:

To be fair the UMP has always been an awesome SMG and I loved to use the staple gun back in 1.6.

The MP5?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of remember the old UMP being this terrible fires slower than dual berettas SMG that went down to like 50 bucks or something when they released that patch that changed gun prices based on how much people bought them over the week.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7q8UKCUdI

nftyw fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What? I've always called the ump the staple gun.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

lol at how long it takes that guy to get a kill with the UMP.

Man remember when guns shared bullets? The UMP shared bullets with the USP and Mac10, the Glock shared bullets with the TMP and MP5, off the top of my head. There used to be max bullet capacity on a per gun basis that had some weird interactions with guns that shared bullet types, so they instead patched it to be a max ammo per bullet type system instead. Good times.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

you drop your most expensive gun, most expensive nade, c4/kit. that's it

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
i choose an mp7 over an ak every time

i'm really good tho, promise

(someone help me back out of inactivity-induced silver hell, i want to die)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Silver is the best rank, let's be clear about that

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I think the UMP needs a price increase

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Every time I see a 1.6 video I think the graphics are so bad, but remember them being great when I was playing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Soulex posted:

What? I've always called the ump the staple gun.

I misread that. I thought you meant staple like "core" gun.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Katana Gomai posted:

you drop your most expensive gun, most expensive nade, c4/kit. that's it

You only drop your most expensive grenade if you never selected a grenade in your inventory, which is pretty unlikely. Otherwise it's most recently selected. It will be that 95% of the time. That's why if you shoot somebody about to throw a flash, it won't transform into a molly they had in their inventory when it drops.

On UMP chat, I'd rather it took a tiny nerf and we saw minor buffs to Famas and Galil. It would be nice to see those guns back in the rotation, not just once in a blue moon. And not feeling like dogshit to use. Especially Famas burst fire, holy drat is that garbage.

It didn't use to be so weird to buy either so you could get more utility.

e:

Reminded me of the cleanest burst fire ace of all time. Whole team (eco but w/e) in 4 bursts. Fun fact: HenryG is one of the guys dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPrkgS6qVYw

Jeza fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 30, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jeza posted:

You only drop your most expensive grenade if you never selected a grenade in your inventory, which is pretty unlikely. Otherwise it's most recently selected. It will be that 95% of the time. That's why if you shoot somebody about to throw a flash, it won't transform into a molly they had in their inventory when it drops.

On UMP chat, I'd rather it took a tiny nerf and we saw minor buffs to Famas and Galil. It would be nice to see those guns back in the rotation, not just once in a blue moon. And not feeling like dogshit to use. Especially Famas burst fire, holy drat is that garbage.

It didn't use to be so weird to buy either so you could get more utility.

On UMP chat I don't get the point of having this many guns if 3/4th of them are pointless. Buff dualies, buff MP7 and bizon, buff Negev, buff autosnipers (maybe actually make them cheaper since they'll still be worse than the awp).

And yeah, within the rifle meta, there should be more reason to buy Famas or Galil beyond sheer desperation.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
they did buff the dualies, but it's hard to balance a 30 bullet pistol without making it a new old tec9, I suspect.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dancer posted:

On UMP chat I don't get the point of having this many guns if 3/4th of them are pointless. Buff dualies, buff MP7 and bizon, buff Negev, buff autosnipers (maybe actually make them cheaper since they'll still be worse than the awp).

And yeah, within the rifle meta, there should be more reason to buy Famas or Galil beyond sheer desperation.

There's a lot to be said about the game balance aspect of CS because it's different from most modern games and has its own brand of complexity, but what I will say is that most of these things are relatively balanced in their own way (well maybe not the dualies...)

However, in pro level CS, what matters most is the ability to kill as fast as possible because most things are dealt with in split seconds. Things like the Negev, Dualies, Autosnipers etc. just cannot compete with the other options in their price slot because they are more of a "bring a hail of lead to the party" weapons. If they became truly competitive, it'd be because they had been buffed into something monstrous.

Inaccurate weapons that fire a lot, while cool for lower level players and probably pretty viable are just useless at a high level when ScreaM with a peashooter will take your head off instantaneously. It's mostly just the cheap rifles that are being invalidated right now because the UMP is less risky because it's cheap, more manoeuvrable, and has the SMG kill reward.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Galil is a fantastic rifle for me. Love it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Jeza posted:

However, in pro level CS, what matters most is the ability to kill as fast as possible because most things are dealt with in split seconds. Things like the Negev, Dualies, Autosnipers etc. just cannot compete with the other options in their price slot because they are more of a "bring a hail of lead to the party" weapons.

Pretty much. For instance, I talk up the krieg a lot and I obviously enjoy seeing pro's like magisk work magic (hhheh) with it, but the way I've always used it, it's definitely a weapon that slots into the hail of bullets category. Having a weapon that can spray accurately at nearly every range is neat as heck and works wonders up to the top ranks, but as soon as you start encountering actually good globals, lv.9+ faceit players or people with 20+ RWS and a consistent 60%+ headshot ratio.. you quickly start to realise that no matter how fast your weapon's firing rate, you'll nearly always fall short after dealing 3 bullets of damage to their instant headshot.

As far as most good players are concerned, a weapon like the sg certainly falls short due to its particular characteristics, but it's mostly the cost compared to the AK that brings it down- and this is multiplied manyfold when talking about expensive weapons like the negev, m249, dualies, mp7, autosniper, etc. Excluding the latter which actually has a an accepted if limited role, the stats and performance on the weapon matters far less than the cost to field it when there are cheaper and more efficient alternatives to choose from.

With a few possible exceptions, I think if valve is to touch the weapon balance in any noticeable way, it ought to be in terms of cost and kill reward, not actual weapon performance.

VelociBacon posted:

Galil is a fantastic rifle for me. Love it.

Last night a guy on the other team fired four bullets and got as many headshots while holding mid with the galil on a buy round. It is the first and only time that weapon has ever impressed me.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003

Jeza posted:

There's a lot to be said about the game balance aspect of CS because it's different from most modern games and has its own brand of complexity, but what I will say is that most of these things are relatively balanced in their own way (well maybe not the dualies...)

However, in pro level CS, what matters most is the ability to kill as fast as possible because most things are dealt with in split seconds. Things like the Negev, Dualies, Autosnipers etc. just cannot compete with the other options in their price slot because they are more of a "bring a hail of lead to the party" weapons. If they became truly competitive, it'd be because they had been buffed into something monstrous.

Inaccurate weapons that fire a lot, while cool for lower level players and probably pretty viable are just useless at a high level when ScreaM with a peashooter will take your head off instantaneously. It's mostly just the cheap rifles that are being invalidated right now because the UMP is less risky because it's cheap, more manoeuvrable, and has the SMG kill reward.

They can add a suppression debuff that increases RNG on your shots. I'm sure that wouldn't be aggravating and would be super fun to play against.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
famas burst in css was actually super sick

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Galil just seems to have stopping power at range that you don't get with the famas.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Galil has the best gun sounds hands down with only maybe the AWP coming close and sometimes I'm tempted to buy it for that reason alone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

stump collector posted:

famas burst in css was actually super sick

Yup. Was my counter sniping thing because it was cheap and accurate. I miss how good it was

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jeza posted:

There can be other aspects. Someone already mentioned kill reward. Krieg and Aug could get a buff to aimpunch to give them better odds against one-shot headshots. Negev could get some ludicrous level of wall penetrating power. Don't we all miss 1.6 wallbanging :v: ?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Dancer posted:

Don't we all miss 1.6 wallbanging :v: ?

Unironically yes. It was the #1 coolest thing about watching matches on Nuke

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

canoshiz posted:

Unironically yes. It was the #1 coolest thing about watching matches on Nuke

Honestly I really don't miss people spending 60 bullets and about as many seconds spamming every common hold spot before walking into a site on nuke. I think maybe it could be neat to buff wallbanging to a limited extent, but reverting to paper thin 1.6 walls would be a disaster

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
If anyone is interested I'm looking to sell Logitech g930 wireless gaming headset. Asking $50. Game and talk with your CS friends instead of using radio commands!. Special offer for Swift of $30 if he actually uses them to speak during a goonmans.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807746

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2017

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If they made the Negev cheap enough to actually be bought then I'd be rocking that thing as often as possible. More likely the M249 would get a price drop because that guy is really miserable.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWxRrQxoqsI

:hellyeah:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twtW2qG8P0g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

sterster posted:

If anyone is interested I'm looking to sell Logitech g930 wireless gaming headset. Asking $50. Game and talk with your CS friends instead of using radio commands!. Special offer for Swift of $30 if he actually uses them to speak during a goonmans.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807746

Just want to say I had a pair of these for a while, and if you want wireless, they're a very nice choice, and $50 is an awesome price for an unopened pair. They were really comfortable, very nice quality audio, and overall good headphones.
One thing of note, I tend to treat my headphones like poo poo, so the microphone plastic eventually broke. If you do get them, I'd recommend a headphone stand, to make sure you don't rest the weight of the headset on the mic over and over until it breaks like I did, and then you have to wrap it in tape which is ugly and catches in your giant beard.