Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Crazy Ted posted:

Looking back on things, it's kind of amazing that everyone born from about 1935 to 1960 didn't die of some kind of cancer:

https://www.google.com/#q=john+hurt+cause+of+death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crazy Ted posted:

Looking back on things, it's kind of amazing that everyone born from about 1935 to 1960 didn't die of some kind of cancer:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

It's soda, man.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

spog posted:

Hot Pockets

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

vaping

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

Centrism.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was going to say petroleum products but we already know that's bad for us, we just ignore the risks in favor of its practical uses.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

The Archaic posted:

Who here loves cable management?

Doesn't something get hosed when you bundle too many cables parallel like that? Like the little Internet elves get confused about which way to go or start having a little elf orgy or whatever and then you lose your connection?

Or is it just for power cables parallel to data cables?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

spog posted:

Lol if you think humanity has a future.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

spog posted:

Sucrose/car exhaust

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

spog posted:

I'm hoping that gluten free diets actually cause cancer.

I will laugh so godamned hard my balls will depart my body.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Bubblyblubber posted:

Doesn't something get hosed when you bundle too many cables parallel like that? Like the little Internet elves get confused about which way to go or start having a little elf orgy or whatever and then you lose your connection?

That's why there are twisted pairs inside the cables.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bubblyblubber posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair for exactly the reasons you highlight

EFB!

That will be because my brain is slower due to the lead in the fuel that all my vehicles used to run on.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I learned something today!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

azurite posted:

That's why there are twisted pairs inside the cables.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

But if the twisted pairs prevent interference, why do IT people freak out if you suggest putting a power cable parallel to a an ethernet cable in a conduit?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bubblyblubber posted:

But if the twisted pairs prevent interference, why do IT people freak out if you suggest putting a power cable parallel to a an ethernet cable in a conduit?

At least here it's a code violation.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

At least here it's a code violation.

At this rate my motorized mains voltage dildo will never get the ethernet connection it so desperately needs.

Isn't there an actual technical reason against it? I'm in Brazil, so code is... not really an impediment to anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bubblyblubber posted:

At this rate my motorized mains voltage dildo will never get the ethernet connection it so desperately needs.

I'm not sure it applies to residential buildings anyway. Actually I don't even know if it's against code here, but I know it's against code somewhere because someone was talking about it at work. (International consortium so could be another country :shrug:)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's more of a theoretical risk of interference. All our fixed installation is done with shielded twisted pair, because why not. The extra cost of shielded vs unshielded cable was minuscule in comparison to the cost of the installation anyway.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MrYenko posted:

No but if you have celiac you're some huge stupid percentage more likely to die in any random year because cross contamination fucks your body up.

Also I dunno why everyone gets so up in arms about people not eating wheat even if their reasons are bad, it's not particularly good for you even if your body can process it without having a meltdown.

People saying they have celiac when they don't is way less annoying to me than people getting all up in arms about their love of bread. No one wants to hear that you're fat and want to get fatter.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No but if you have celiac you're some huge stupid percentage more likely to die in any random year because cross contamination fucks your body up.

Also I dunno why everyone gets so up in arms about people not eating wheat even if their reasons are bad, it's not particularly good for you even if your body can process it without having a meltdown.

People saying they have celiac when they don't is way less annoying to me than people getting all up in arms about their love of bread. No one wants to hear that you're fat and want to get fatter.

Hey, don't worry when the FDA is eliminated everything will be cross contaminated so those with allergies will simply die!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

But I'm allergic to wheat :c

I didn't choose this diet!

And eggs and dairy which means no pizza which is hell. So maybe cancer won't be so bad.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 30, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There's a few reasons. People who lie about a gluten allergy (or are delusional about having one) make the world more dangerous for those with Celiac's, since people are less likely to take them seriously. It also means the person with the 'undiagnosed gluten intolerance' gets to dictate where a group of people eat and then get sanctimonious about how healthy their food is, criticize what everyone else is eating, and promote other pseudoscience bullshit.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dienes posted:

There's a few reasons. People who lie about a gluten allergy (or are delusional about having one) make the world more dangerous for those with Celiac's, since people are less likely to take them seriously. It also means the person with the 'undiagnosed gluten intolerance' gets to dictate where a group of people eat and then get sanctimonious about how healthy their food is, criticize what everyone else is eating, and promote other pseudoscience bullshit.

I'd much rather take that than some dumbass online wishing I'd get cancer because I can't eat wheat. And everyone has built up that fake celiac person in their own mind to a much greater extent than they actually exist in the wild.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dienes posted:

There's also the risk where not eating gluten becomes a hip thing and makes some less honest producers mark stuff as "gluten free" when it's not.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mostly just take issue with food fads promoting misinformation and bad science to the general public. I don't particularly care who eats bread, I mean it's high in carbs so whatever, but I don't like it meaning that even some meat products now say "gluten free" on them promoting the perception that it's a spooky scary food word and it's bad for you.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Antibiotics, including flushing them into the water supply to dispose of them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
^^^:
Yep, barring some completely unforeseen science out of left field, this is 100% what the current century's major foil will be

I'm annoyed at the anti-gluten fad since it meant my box of vital wheat gluten wasn't on the store shelves when I needed to restock. I finally broke down and ordered a 4lb bag of pure gluten, so I'll have non-crumbly bread and good pizza dough for years to come at least

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Remember when that dude tweeted that he wished some other dude got cancer and then he got cancer himself. Or something like that.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

spog posted:

Blue. loving. LEDs.

40 years in the future they'll be saying, "We have no idea why they felt the need to put blue LEDs in everything. Sure, they had no idea they were giving themselves eyeball cancer, but, come on, it looked loving stupid."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Or in the 1920s for that matter.

I have Female Trouble and Lumbago

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Lucky you, I just have other common ailments

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

CollegeCop posted:

Blue. loving. LEDs.

40 years in the future they'll be saying, "We have no idea why they felt the need to put blue LEDs in everything. Sure, they had no idea they were giving themselves eyeball cancer, but, come on, it looked loving stupid."

A lot, maybe all, LED light bulbs use blue LEDs coated with a phosphor that gives the appearance of white light.

See Metamerism:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/12/01/blue-leds-confuse-brain.aspx

quote:

Why So Blue?
Typical white LEDs consist of gallium nitride (GaN) and blue dye and a phosphor coating that converts a portion of the blue light into white. These phosphor-coated white LEDs can be fabricated with customized spectral profiles, but the process necessitates a spike in blue radiant energy. The phosphors produce a second, broader, and, in some cases, higher peak between 550 and 650 nanometers.

Still better than CFLs. Compact Fluorescents loving suck.

Philips remote-phosphor LED lamp teardown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ZBfmLGRrk

I am kind of :spergin: about light bulbs.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 30, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of led and florescent lights, anyone have any leads on adaptors that will let me convert my kitchen lights to led? They're the standard full size bulbs with the ballasts running straight off of 120v. I'm renting an apartment, so i can't really tear out the ballasts to get to the couple inches of wire to wire in an outlet, but i can't think of anything else that would work

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You can just buy LED fluorescent tubes that drop into standard fluorescent fixtures now. All the circuitry to adapt the voltages is right in the tube.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sentient Data posted:

Speaking of led and florescent lights, anyone have any leads on adaptors that will let me convert my kitchen lights to led? They're the standard full size bulbs with the ballasts running straight off of 120v. I'm renting an apartment, so i can't really tear out the ballasts to get to the couple inches of wire to wire in an outlet, but i can't think of anything else that would work

Various companies make LED tubes intended as drop-in replacements for fluorescents. I haven't tried any of them, though, so I can't really comment on how they stack up.

Edit: this is why we preview.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

:confused:

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-LED-Light-Bulbs/Soft-White/N-5yc1vZbm79Z1z0u18z

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

If you've got tube lighting, there are drop-in replacement tubes that fit your fixtures, ballasts and all. A brief intro is here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bubblyblubber posted:

Isn't there an actual technical reason against it? I'm in Brazil, so code is... not really an impediment to anything.

Have you considered using Power over Ethernet to drive your dildo instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can just buy LED fluorescent tubes that drop into standard fluorescent fixtures now. All the circuitry to adapt the voltages is right in the tube.

Do they stop the ballast from doing that loving annoying humming?

EDIT: just looked up the prices and holy poo poo! I think I'll stick with fluorescents right now, thanks.

Double edit: Okay, Ebay has much more reasonable prices. The Australian manufacturer I checked had a single, standard 120cm tube as $70.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 30, 2017