Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I can't wait until like two years from now where there are so many factions to fight/play as that people new to the franchise are going to be utterly :psyduck: about all the units and armies.

"dinosaurs keep eating my mummy dudes, WHY"
"I killed 4,000 rat men in the last battle but the other 8,000 managed to route me"
"Cheapass Torture Elves keep sacking my port! "
"There's no standing structure left in the Old World and endlessly spawning stacks of Savage Orcs, Beastmen, and Ogres are in a battle Royale over the crumbs left."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
We'll all be waiting expectantly for Jerusalem's new Dwarves/Tomb Kings LP: A Not-Scotsman in Not-Egypt.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Plavski posted:

We'll all be waiting expectantly for Jerusalem's new Dwarves/Tomb Kings LP: A Not-Scotsman in Not-Egypt.

It'll certainly be a challenging run if Dwarves can't occupy TK settlements

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ahahaha all Slayer armies in MP are preeeeetty strong.

Turin just got wrecked.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Turin just got wrecked.

He did pretty well for the circumstances. If he wasn't microing as good as he was it would've been a much shorter match.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any secret to forming trade agreements as VC, or is it just 'you can't'? I have lots of buildings that produce trade resources, but not much to do with them.

I usually vassalize the two other vampire factions in the beginning so you can trade with them, and because the computer cheats it's kind of like having 2-4 extra stacks you can direct at whatever you want and not have to pay for. They count towards controlling the province as well.

Mousillon is another obvious trading partner but they're far away and they also tend to die pretty early.

You can also get dwarf and human factions to trade with you, but it's pretty hard without bribes or forcing them to become your vassal.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

How can you force someone to become your vassal? Sometimes I have no problem getting them, while some just refuse even if their last settlement is surrounded and will surrender next turn...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
When it's a faction that's not your race, it seems like you need to beat the poo poo out of them, but not so much that they'll refuse to become a vassal. I'm usually not able to vassalize dwarfs as VC, for example, because even if I have them on the ropes the main dwarf faction will confederate them instead.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm gonna run a new dwarf campaign, want to do some kind of gimmick. Playing straight has got boring. Ideas?

Nephthys posted:

Turin just got wrecked.

Yeah against wood elves theyre very powerful. What's the counter?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

I'm gonna run a new dwarf campaign, want to do some kind of gimmick. Playing straight has got boring. Ideas?

Yeah against wood elves theyre very powerful. What's the counter?

Ranged cav?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ammanas posted:

* Slayer King. At least 50℅ of each army must be Slayers.

* Tech-fetishist. Bring as many gyrocopters as possible, every battle.

* RAGE. Be at war with everyone, at all times.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't get vassalization. As Empire, I vassalized Averland around turn 20, then faced a never-ending stream of neutral factions and also my own allies (who had good relations with Averland too) declare war on them and by extension me. Anyone else found the AI hates your vassals?

My favorite was when the Greenskins, reduced to a single province in the Badlands and a half-stack, declared war on Averland, which is like half the map away.

No mods but Cataph's magic booster.

The Lone Badger posted:

* Tech-fetishist. Bring as many gyrocopters as possible, every battle.

* Gunline guy. Just one big line of Arty, a few quarrelers/rangers, and your lord.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

I dun goofed.

Aaand the Vampires joined in.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Eschatos posted:

I dun goofed.

Aaand the Vampires joined in.

Who are you playing here? I assume the empire, but it looks like you have a bunch of allies with you, is the goof simply being at war with dwarfs or am I missing something here?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stephen9001 posted:

Who are you playing here? I assume the empire, but it looks like you have a bunch of allies with you, is the goof simply being at war with dwarfs or am I missing something here?

He's Chaos, and everyone is coming to kill him.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

He's Chaos, and everyone is coming to kill him.

Oh. Well, at least the vampires seem to be helping him?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
You can see what faction is being played both from the top banner and the button by the end turn button, he's playing Chaos and fleeing from the grand alliance.

Edit: Vampires also at war with him, they've got the crossed red swords above their army. Granted, it seems that city they're sieging is their more pressing concern.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Oh. Well, at least the vampires seem to be helping him?

Nope, everybody hates me. I'm especially enjoying the impromptu alliance of Varg and Skaeling with the various empire nations.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Eschatos posted:

Nope, everybody hates me. I'm especially enjoying the impromptu alliance of Varg and Skaeling with the various empire nations.

Yeah, that seems insane. Guess you should have done the boring thing of subjugating Norsca?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

* Gunline guy. Just one big line of Arty, a few quarrelers/rangers, and your lord.

Yeah I've done this for armies, usually 3 or 4 thanes, a lord, 4 artillery pieces, the rest handgunners. works ok in underway maps.

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, that seems insane. Guess you should have done the boring thing of subjugating Norsca?

You can't exactly do this, they break vassalization all the time. Chaos campaign is broken.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

You can't exactly do this, they break vassalization all the time. Chaos campaign is broken.

Yeah the old strategy of "just subjugate Norsca" doesn't work anymore because they'll all hate you so much that as soon as you declare war on someone, or someone declares war on you, they'll refuse the automatic call to arms and go "lol nope I also declare war on you".

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Vassalisation is still very much viable, it is mainly the awakened tribes that keep on breaking pacts. The solution to this is just that you have to park an army up there to smack them down when they get uppity.

I currently have a fun stalemate in my latest chaos game where only the woodelves are left. They have half the old world and I can't get enough income from sacking their outposts to maintain more than 1,5 doomstacks, which is barely holding on against their constant attacks. My norsca vassals simply refuse to settle the purged north and sends pitiful half stacks or less that naturally just get swatted by full elite woodelf stacks, just a couple of turns ago the 4 halfstack support force of my vassals was wiped in 1 turn by some random treeman stack.

Currently my plan consists of making income generating troopless hordes that can feed my main force. The very reason why I got bankrupt so fast was that I had so many low growth hordes up and didn't disband them fast enough when I stomped the dwarves. Now however most of them are close to reaching the pile of skulls building so in a few turns I expect to be able to go on the offensive again as I should be able to afford the higher replacement rate. As a side note, Archon is pretty boss when he is fully pimped with all his quest gear and a healing potion.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Best strategy as Chaos, in my experience, is to burn the Varg settlement in your way, turn towards Kislev and keep going through it. You will eventually manage to get a peace agreement with the Skaeling if you ignore them. Meanwhile demolish the Marauder building as soon as you can and replace it with the Chaos Warriors one, fill your stack with actual Chaos Warriors (plus some dogs to chase and flank) and it should be smooth sailing from there, as you can then easily beat any armies the AI comes up with at this point. Sack your way to Altdorf, kill the Empire faction, then move on to Bretonnia. Be careful of punishing any Empire factions with the Underdog trait too much or they will confederate and that will mean a lot more of work.

The hardest part of the campaign will be the beginning, as your force is vulnerable to the multiple armies Kislev can field.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

No the hardest part is not quitting from boredom after turn 30

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you're good you should pretty much have won by turn 30.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So I've been away from the game for several months due to mainly work and other games occupying my time. Plan to start playing it again this weekend. Over Christmas I said "gently caress it" and picked up various DLC. What I'm wondering is if there are any "must-have" mods or which mods are good to add some aesthetic variety to the forces?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fangz posted:

If you're good you should pretty much have won by turn 30.

Not saying it can't be done, but I'd love to see how to do it. Call it Kholek's Day Out or something.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Turin just got wrecked.

Dwarf units have been getting seriously overbuffed to compensate for the factions downsides. Slayers now have good armor piercing in addition to being fast and unbreakable and having high weapon damage. It's kind of nuts.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

These guys just don't give up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Retreat to chaos wastes, attrition will do em for ya

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Slayers now have good armor piercing in addition to being fast and unbreakable and having high weapon damage. It's kind of nuts.

Wait what. When did they get armor piercing?? They're ruling because they're fast, unbreakable, and combine high MA with high weapon damage (plus bonus vs large) so they'll connect often and hit hard every connection

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

lilspooky posted:

So I've been away from the game for several months due to mainly work and other games occupying my time. Plan to start playing it again this weekend. Over Christmas I said "gently caress it" and picked up various DLC. What I'm wondering is if there are any "must-have" mods or which mods are good to add some aesthetic variety to the forces?

The mods I have generally make the game easier but at the same time give more control instead of having to always min max my way around AI advantages.

Tier 4 settlements : Lets minor settlements go up to tier 4. Very good for Dwarves, also pretty good for Vampire Counts. Balanced by the fact that your opponents can build them too, and they cost the corresponding gold and population so takes a while to get them up. Also makes chaos /beastmen campaigns naturally more challenging.

Improved garrisons: Adds lords and heroes to garrisons, and adds additional garrison units based on other buildings in the settlement (barracks gives you an additional basic infantry unit, etc)

Agressive AI: Encourages the AI to actually attack and not just dance around unless it can crush you. The version I have has the AI attack your cities if it thinks it has a 50/50 chance of winning, and won't starve them out but rather attack promptly (just long enough to build 4-6 siege towers). These three combined give you a ton of really fun siege defenses. There are far more tight 'battle of helms deep' type scenarios.

Another one I can't remember the name, but it removes the advantages the AI gets with corruption. Now if you play VC you can wipe out your neighbors slowly and surely without ever going to war with them by letting Vampiric corruption trigger revolts to eventually and snapping up the ruins.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Ammanas posted:

Retreat to chaos wastes, attrition will do em for ya

Nah, I can run through the Empire pillaging every other city without getting caught. Why would I stop? I am sending my weak baby Chaos army up north though for some easy razing. The worst aspect of playing Chaos is easily the slow army growth.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Nah, I can run through the Empire pillaging every other city without getting caught. Why would I stop? I am sending my weak baby Chaos army up north though for some easy razing. The worst aspect of playing Chaos is easily the slow army growth.

Take the Grand Alliance tour into the Badlands, get the Greenskins to join in. Hopefully against both sides for maximum comedy.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Wait what. When did they get armor piercing?? They're ruling because they're fast, unbreakable, and combine high MA with high weapon damage (plus bonus vs large) so they'll connect often and hit hard every connection

They added like 10 armor piercing to their attack last patch, not enough to give them the attribute but enough to be noticeable.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Triskelli posted:

Not saying it can't be done, but I'd love to see how to do it. Call it Kholek's Day Out or something.

You actually want to be Sigvald, in my opinion, because he starts with a Hellcannon. It wasn't quite 30 turns but I've definitely won a legendary Chaos campaign in under 60 with him. You basically just blitz the humans before they can build anything. It's pretty fun too, since you'll have to fight quite a few battles with units that are understrength.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You actually want to be Sigvald, in my opinion, because he starts with a Hellcannon. It wasn't quite 30 turns but I've definitely won a legendary Chaos campaign in under 60 with him. You basically just blitz the humans before they can build anything. It's pretty fun too, since you'll have to fight quite a few battles with units that are understrength.

That was true earlier, but Kholek has gained the Siege Attacker trait a couple patches ago, so you don't need to build siege engines with him anymore.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ZearothK posted:

That was true earlier, but Kholek has gained the Siege Attacker trait a couple patches ago, so you don't need to build siege engines with him anymore.

Yeah, he's viable too, but I prefer using the cannon to take out a tower and then attacking that section vs charging my army at the walls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those cannons can win any campaign if you are patient enough and don't autoresolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
February has just arrived in CA's timezone, any word on the Bret release date yet other than that it's somewhere between an hour ago and a bit under 28 days from now?

• Locked thread