Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I gotta get better at dodging. I've met characters who enter the matrix every time I try to hit them and literally all my attacks miss constantly. It's so frustrating and I want to be able to do it

fuckin orochi and peacekeepers breaking my balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I gotta get better at dodging. I've met characters who enter the matrix every time I try to hit them and literally all my attacks miss constantly. It's so frustrating and I want to be able to do it

It's not immediately obvious, but guardbreaking is actually a decent counter against frequent dodges. It tracks like a motherfucker and will basically always connect unless the target dodged far backwards out of range. It also helps that the attacks following dodges are directly linked to the direction of a dodge. For Kensei and the Assassins it always comes from the direction they're dodging towards, for Nobuchi it's the opposite one. Parry their poo poo, guardbreak, and then just go ham :getin:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

It's not immediately obvious, but guardbreaking is actually a decent counter against frequent dodges. It tracks like a motherfucker and will basically always connect unless the target dodged far backwards out of range. It also helps that the attacks following dodges are directly linked to the direction of a dodge. For Kensei and the Assassins it always comes from the direction they're dodging towards, for Nobuchi it's the opposite one. Parry their poo poo, guardbreak, and then just go ham :getin:

Unless they cancel the heavy attack into an instant stab on the opposite side or into a guardbreak :q:

I'm really torn about purchasing this game. $80 is a bit steep for how many game modes/maps/etc are in right now. Maybe if all the characters came unlocked or something that would be ok. Especially since i know that in like 6-8 months you'll be able to get the base game + Seasons Pass for like $30.

I'm normally really poo poo at fighting games but the Peacekeeper really clicked well with me. The combat system in this game is pretty loving stellar. At first I thought the P2P networking would be a crap shoot (and it is for Dominion mode). But for 2v2 and 1v1 it's surprisingly buttery smooth. Oddly enough Peacekeeper plays 100x better with M+KB compared to controller.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
premade groups are going to be monstrously overpowered in dominion

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's pretty much every game. Teamwork OP.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah but I want to be able to see it, like in Overwatch, before a game starts so I know I can just quit right there or do a gimmick and spend the entire game on a ladder trying to buttslide-kill people

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Unless they cancel the heavy attack into an instant stab on the opposite side or into a guardbreak :q:

I'm really torn about purchasing this game. $80 is a bit steep for how many game modes/maps/etc are in right now. Maybe if all the characters came unlocked or something that would be ok. Especially since i know that in like 6-8 months you'll be able to get the base game + Seasons Pass for like $30.

I'm normally really poo poo at fighting games but the Peacekeeper really clicked well with me. The combat system in this game is pretty loving stellar. At first I thought the P2P networking would be a crap shoot (and it is for Dominion mode). But for 2v2 and 1v1 it's surprisingly buttery smooth. Oddly enough Peacekeeper plays 100x better with M+KB compared to controller.

Where is everyone getting $80? From what I can see it is $60 or £40.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Prawned posted:

It is 80 canadian dollars aka monopoly money

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Prawned posted:

It's 80 bucks for those of us in Not Trumplandia. :(

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

A small price to pay for the fantastic experience of being constantly hit in the back of the head by a spearlady, but yeah some companies are super fucky about pricing their games anywhere outside of USA or UK.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Is 2v2 fun? I never tried it over the beta. Just assumed it was 1v1 but you have a chance of someone getting an assist called in

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Is 2v2 fun? I never tried it over the beta. Just assumed it was 1v1 but you have a chance of someone getting an assist called in

2v2 is just 1v1 but with lots of rage about E-HONOR.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Keegers posted:

I enjoyed it.

It's 4 people on 1 map, each in their own lane on most maps (some maps are just a big arena). It's incredibly fun with a friend on voice comms. You can pull off some silly shenanigans like running away towards your partner and having them get a free hit on the person chasing you or just swapping who you got paired against. I definitely enjoyed 1v1 and 2v2 the most.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this game is all about honorable face to face duels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUh0MldXDQ

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

this game is all about honorable face to face duels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUh0MldXDQ

Interesting, didn't know that you could survive what is normally a lethal drop as long you plunge attack somebody!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
For E-HONOR.
Then again "Chivalry" was about killing peasants and throwing corpses into wells.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Getting the 'Resist Bleeding' perk on the Warden is probably the best thing that has ever happened. It feels so good to get triple stabbed by a Peacekeeper and only losing 1/16th of your life bar.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I am torn as to which platform to buy this game for. I'm pretty sold the gameplay, so that's not really an issue. I experienced minor frame drops when I was playing on PS4, but from what I hear the general consensus is that the console community lingers much longer than the one on PC. But if it's equitable I'd rather play on PC with an xbone controller for that sweet 60+fps and better networking.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 30, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TwingeCrag posted:

I am torn as to which platform to buy this game for. I'm pretty sold the gameplay,so that's not really an issue. I experienced minor frame drops when I was playing on PS4, but from what I hear the general consensus is that the console community lingers much longer than the one on PC. But if it's equitable I'd rather play on PC with an xbone controller for that sweet 60+fps and better networking.

You basically spelled it out for yourself as both of your assertions are correct. The PC will have the better FPS and possibly connections, but the console will absolutely have a bigger community for longer. It's a value judgement that only you can make.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Chomp8645 posted:

You basically spelled it out for yourself as both of your assertions are correct. The PC will have the better FPS and possibly connections, but the console will absolutely have a bigger community for longer. It's a value judgement that only you can make.

I want my decision to be obvious and painless, damnit :mad:

But also like, I want to play 2v2s with goons. I feel like having any communication with others would render this game much more fun.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

TwingeCrag posted:

I am torn as to which platform to buy this game for. I'm pretty sold the gameplay, so that's not really an issue. I experienced minor frame drops when I was playing on PS4, but from what I hear the general consensus is that the console community lingers much longer than the one on PC. But if it's equitable I'd rather play on PC with an xbone controller for that sweet 60+fps and better networking.

I feel like PC has a better community for these type of games. I mean look at chivalry, dead on console but active on PC. Also PC has the mount and blade crowd and some other medival fighter communities.

E: also PC has glorious graphics and modding to probably increase fov beyond 90

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Imagine how quickly it's going to get hacked on PC though. Look at siege. That didn't get proper anti-cheat for eight months and this is going to be using p2p multiplayer.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Imagine how quickly it's going to get hacked on PC though. Look at siege. That didn't get proper anti-cheat for eight months and this is going to be using p2p multiplayer.

This is a depressing thought, but I'm hoping that they'll take the lessons they learnt from siege and copy-paste right from the start.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Keegers posted:

I feel like PC has a better community for these type of games. I mean look at chivalry, dead on console but active on PC. Also PC has the mount and blade crowd and some other medival fighter communities.

E: also PC has glorious graphics and modding to probably increase fov beyond 90

I've played quite a lot of mount and blade. You make a fair point.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Stupid questions from a non-beta haver.

How many characters are male vs how many are female?
Are only certain characters available from the beginning, or can you pick one to unlock for free and then grind for others?

I know there are a few different customisation choices mentioned but how indepth are they? Do any go the overwatch style of changing voices/etc?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Innerguard posted:

Are only certain characters available from the beginning, or can you pick one to unlock for free and then grind for others?

I know there are a few different customisation choices mentioned but how indepth are they? Do any go the overwatch style of changing voices/etc?

Many of the characters can be either male or female, it's an option you choose. There are a couple that seem to be female only, such as the Peacekeeper and the Samurai spear woman.

You can play all the characters for free, right from the start. What you get by "recruiting" them is the ability to customise their equipment. The customisation I've seen changes the cosmetic look of a character's armour, but not much else. The changes you get with gear choices seem to come down to trade-offs, ie do I want more attack damage per swing but less stamina recovery, or more revenge mode damage but less throw distance etc.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Innerguard posted:

Out of the 12 characters, 3 each are locked to male (Lawbringer, Warlord, Shugoki) and female (Peacekeeper, Valkyrie, Nobushi). All the rest can be played as either gender as a customisation option.

The three characters of the vanguard type for each faction (Warden, Raider, and Kensei) are completely unlocked from the beginning. Recruiting a new character actually only unlocks their customisation options, you can play any of them whenever, so you can try before you buy. For reference, recruiting a new character costs 500 steel (the ingame currency), while fulfilling a single daily quest gives you 300 steel, on top of regular rewards from finishing games. So you can unlock the entire roster in rather short order if you want to.

In terms of customisation, all characters have slots for chest armour, arms, helmets, and three slots for their weaponry. Over time, you find new items with different visuals for each of these slots, which also carry a small mechanical boost/tradeoff (e.g. you can take a different sword blade that improves your damage but also increases your stamina costs). Note that the mechanical effects of gear only apply in certain gamemodes, they're disabled in the dueling modes. You can also melt down unwanted items and use them as resources to improve the mechanical effects of others. The visuals can also transferred from one item to another for a small steel fee.
On top of that you also have a bunch of purely visual stuff. You can set skin colour, gender, and an overall colour scheme for your character as a whole. You can then further adjust each significant part of your armour (helmet, shoulders, tabards, chest, shield, etc.) and give them different colour patterns, symbols, tattoos, or engravings. Finally you can also buy fancy emotes, helmet ornaments, and executions for big chunks of steel. So there's a decent amount of freedom for playing murderbarbie dressup.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

2v2 is just 1v1 but with lots of rage about E-HONOR.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing.

2v2 is hilarious, especially with the e-honor people who would get salty as gently caress about "ganking." If you wanted the honorable duel, you should have queued for 1v1. 2v2 means you have to deal with the chance of getting double-teamed.

Also, with external blocking, zone attacks, and revenge, getting 2v1ed isn't even that big of a deal.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Playing 2v2 with all goons was the most fun I had during my time in the beta.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

For reference, recruiting a new character costs 500 steel (the ingame currency), while fulfilling a single daily quest gives you 300 steel, on top of regular rewards from finishing games. So you can unlock the entire roster in rather short order if you want to.

I would not take it for granted that the steel values in the demo will necessarily be the same as release. Both the amount of steel that things cost and how easily steel is earned may change.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

I would not take it for granted that the steel values in the demo will necessarily be the same as release. Both the amount of steel that things cost and how easily steel is earned may change.

I haven't heard anything about the values being different for release. Where did you hear that they could be?

Edit: Also, it looks like there will be an open beta Feb 9th to 12th.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I haven't heard anything about the values being different for release. Where did you hear that they could be?

There hasn't been a statement. I'm not even saying that it will be the case, just that it could be. I do find it very likely that it will be the case however, and I have two reasons to believe it.

1) It is common for demos/"betas" to change or reduce unlock requirements. This is because they want players to experiment with things that the limited time frame would not allow them to unlock otherwise. Take the Star Wars: Battlefront beta for example. In the release version of the game the Jump Pack didn't unlock until like level 15 or something (and the beta capped at level 5). However just for the beta they changed it so that the Jump Pack unlocked at level 3. This is because the jump pack is fun and they wanted people to use it. They wanted it to be shown on streams. So they changed it. Ubisoft certainly did not want this weekend long beta to be nothing but Infinite Vanguard Combat, so it would make sense they would make unlocking heroes very easy.

2) The pricing doesn't add up. Heroes in the beta were either 100 or 500 steel. But costumes range between 1500 and 3000 steel. Taunts and executions are more like 5000 steel. This doesn't jive to me. If you take a look at MOBAs for example, they usually have hefty price tags in to unlock heroes, with skins and other customization options being the lesser cost. I suspect that in this beta the cost of costumes/taunts/executions were unchanged from what release will be, but that the heroes themselves were heavily discounted because otherwise people wouldn't unlock them during the limited time frame of the beta. And yes, you could play them anyway but if we are being realistic people just don't want to play a character as much is they can't customize them.

Additionally, the very numbers of 100 or 500 steel are suspect because they are too small. So small that they are pointless. If it is that easy to unlock them then everyone will have every character unlocked within a week. You might as well not require them to be unlocked at all. The barrier is so small that it will be pointless, which makes me believe it is not the real barrier.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

2) The pricing doesn't add up. Heroes in the beta were either 100 or 500 steel. But costumes range between 1500 and 3000 steel. Taunts and executions are more like 5000 steel. This doesn't jive to me. If you take a look at MOBAs for example, they usually have hefty price tags in to unlock heroes, with skins and other customization options being the lesser cost. I suspect that in this beta the cost of costumes/taunts/executions were unchanged from what release will be, but that the heroes themselves were heavily discounted because otherwise people wouldn't unlock them during the limited time frame of the beta. And yes, you could play them anyway but if we are being realistic people just don't want to play a character as much is they can't customize them.

Additionally, the very numbers of 100 or 500 steel are suspect because they are too small. So small that they are pointless. If it is that easy to unlock them then everyone will have every character unlocked within a week. You might as well not require them to be unlocked at all. The barrier is so small that it will be pointless, which makes me believe it is not the real barrier.

I don't think MOBAs are a very apt comparison. They're generally f2p, and selling characters is one of their major monetisation schemes. For Honor on the other hand doesn't need that, and with a relatively smaller roster they'll want to have a decent variety of heroes populating the playerbase ASAP so people don't feel like they're arbitrarily denied integral parts of the game they paid for.

More the to point, the characters are actually all already unlocked by default. Everybody can just pick up and play them from day 1 at no cost at all. What you do unlock by recruiting them is just the ability to customise them. And since that customisation is a really big part of their whole MP system, it's really in their interest to keep the entry barrier to that system fairly low. In that context, it also makes sense to keep the prices for the gameplay-relevant stuff low to encourage people to keep playing, by offering short- and medium-term gratification. Ornaments, emotes, and executions on the other hand are purely visual vanity purchases, so nobody will be much bothered if those are locked away behind a rather high price tag.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We shall see! I'm just making a casual prediction. My point is really just that I would caution against assuming that the current numbers are set in stone. They may be the same at release, or they very well may not.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

There hasn't been a statement. I'm not even saying that it will be the case, just that it could be. I do find it very likely that it will be the case however, and I have two reasons to believe it.

1) It is common for demos/"betas" to change or reduce unlock requirements. This is because they want players to experiment with things that the limited time frame would not allow them to unlock otherwise. Take the Star Wars: Battlefront beta for example. In the release version of the game the Jump Pack didn't unlock until like level 15 or something (and the beta capped at level 5). However just for the beta they changed it so that the Jump Pack unlocked at level 3. This is because the jump pack is fun and they wanted people to use it. They wanted it to be shown on streams. So they changed it. Ubisoft certainly did not want this weekend long beta to be nothing but Infinite Vanguard Combat, so it would make sense they would make unlocking heroes very easy.

I can understand changing the timeframe in which to unlock something as cool and exciting as the jump pack in SW:B, but there's nothing stopping people from playing any of the characters without unlocking them, as you are aware. I just don't see how those two are comparable.

quote:

See, that makes perfect sense to me. The initial cost of buying in to customization is relatively cheap, which means the gear you get between matches can be actually used, and the really drastic things like Taunts/Executions/Ornaments are more expensive and are a goal to reach. I agree that they may tweak the mission rewards somewhat, but I don't think their pricing structure for their funbux is unusual.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Prawned posted:

Seeing Zaphod join another thread and poo poo it up with relentless (and thoughtless) fanboyism, wonderful.

Explaining how dominion works to people too dumb to understand MOBA mechanics isn't fanboyism. I complained about the networking problems same as everybody. Chomp's just here to bitch like always, dunno why he doesn't go play something he likes instead.

Prawned posted:

This is a depressing thought, but I'm hoping that they'll take the lessons they learnt from siege and copy-paste right from the start.

Given the network problems though I wouldn't hold your breath. We'll be lucky if the network issues from beta are fixed by launch. Even if they start to scramble to copy Siege's anti-cheat from launch, it'll take them a couple months to test it fully and deploy it.

I'm having enough fun with this game so I don't mind riding it out for some patches, especially with a co-op campaign I can blast through. Cheaters don't matter for that, or for doing 1v1 duels with friends. But I wouldn't expect it to be altered significantly from beta next week.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Megafunk posted:

Playing 2v2 with all goons was the most fun I had during my time in the beta.

Oh yeah getting chain headbutted by Fresh was an absolute delight.

loving warlord :argh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The warlord is a top tier head to head combatant.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Looks like there's going to be an open beta from the 9th-12th bois. Get yer choppers ready.