Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

I got my infantry from GHQ, a pack of regular and a pack of heavy weapons so I should have plenty to make what I need. I'd still be interested in seeing yours though because there were so few actual product shots on H&R that most of my stuff was bought on blind faith.
Annoyingly my camera battery is dead and I can't find the charger for it.

Ilor posted:

OK, 15mm grognards - what size washers do you use for your individual troops and how many do you mount per sabot base? I'm thinking of rebasing all my 15mm ACW stuff.
1c coins. They're cheap and used to be plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, the game is divided into three periods - Early, Mid, and Late War (with point costs for assorted units varying by era - ie a T-34/76 is far more expensive in Early War than it is in late) French are primarily in Early War (in Blitzkrieg and Burning Empires). You can also get rules for the Free French in Late War here and in Road to Rome.

Keep in mind that the new edition is coming down the pipe, so they may be coming out with updates for these sorts of thing. Blitzkrieg and Burning Empires are both I believe some of the oldest books going, at present, so they most likely will be updated first.

It may be a good idea to check with your group what era they favour.

Okie doke, thanks!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ilor posted:

OK, 15mm grognards - what size washers do you use for your individual troops and how many do you mount per sabot base? I'm thinking of rebasing all my 15mm ACW stuff.

I used these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ISV544A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 96 of them so roughly 5 cents each, which was about the same as for a washer and it didn't have a hole.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cool. How big are they, diameter-wise?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ilor posted:

Cool. How big are they, diameter-wise?

15mm. They also sell 20 and 25mm if you just need bulk round bases for whatever reason.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
He has wide range, up to 90mm rounds. Lozenge shaped ones, ovals, squares, slots, tokens, hexe, some "sci-fi" bits....

No sabots though. Bummer.

His storefront

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We tried out my scenario for our local con here using Sharp Practice, ACW in Tennessee right before Shiloh. It went really well, friends picked it up quick. Some photos:

More photos : Sharp Practice American Civil War 28mm https://imgur.com/gallery/mteXu

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
That looks fantastic!

I've been meaning to write a spiel on SP2, I have some real beefs with the system after playing several games. I have to say my number one complaint is that veterancy/troop quality has almost zero effect on a unit's ability to interact with shock. A volunteer unit takes shock in exactly the same way as an elite unit, and will retreat/break in the same way as well. The only difference as far as I can tell is whether or not units can form with shock, and how far they retreat when excess shock is inflicted.

My friend and I decided to add a shock "saving throw" depending on unit quality that doesn't apply to kills. For every shock inflicted roll 1d6.

Militia: No save
Volunteer/Conscripts: 6+
Regular: 5+
Elite: 4+

We made a few other changes to the system, including overhauling their terrible melee system. Overall I like SP2 but it feels like they hurried it out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

That looks fantastic!

I've been meaning to write a spiel on SP2, I have some real beefs with the system after playing several games. I have to say my number one complaint is that veterancy/troop quality has almost zero effect on a unit's ability to interact with shock. A volunteer unit takes shock in exactly the same way as an elite unit, and will retreat/break in the same way as well. The only difference as far as I can tell is whether or not units can form with shock, and how far they retreat when excess shock is inflicted.

My friend and I decided to add a shock "saving throw" depending on unit quality that doesn't apply to kills. For every shock inflicted roll 1d6.

We made a few other changes to the system, including overhauling their terrible melee system. Overall I like SP2 but it feels like they hurried it out.

Please elaborate on the melee system. After reading through it and playing one game, the obvious holes I'm seeing are:

1) Attack columns are hosed and you're a silly idiot for using them. They are evidently just worse at everything, which is why most successful armies used them.

2) Cavalry are hosed, to the point where cavalry catching skirmishers in the open should be prepared for a rather even fight, especially if the skirmishers are not in the process of reloading. When this is pointed out, the reply seems to usually be "oh yeah but cavalry is not that much more expensive in point, so what do you expect?", which doesn't adress that it feels very counterintuitive to the period. Napoleonic infantry that is not properly formed should be in grave danger if cavalry gets close.

On the other hand I really like the activation system. It might still be a honeymoon phase, but I even prefer it over CoC's command dice.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 29, 2017

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
More :canada: WW2 mans:

With that, 1000 pts. of Canadians for BA are done!

(sorry about the focus and blown-out colours - photographing large units like this has been giving me a hard time)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

No sabots though. Bummer.

His storefront

This may be changing. Is anyone else interested in sabots/movement trays from him? I know there's some great laser cut options for sabots but I haven't found a US based supplier and the plastic is easier to work with in terms of paint and pinning.

I'm gonna ask him about doing some 2x2's and 2x4 for 25mm rounds and see if he is thinking in terms of one-off custom orders or just adding a line. I suspect it's the latter since once he makes a mold it's easy to make more as needed.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Dirt Worshipper posted:

That looks fantastic!

You're right that troop quality doesn't affect shock. I do believe it affects what special rules are given them - my ACW conscripts don't have sharp practice, terrible step out and drill, only controlled volley once

But you're right, I'm p sure there was a forum thread about how 12 man militia units in were the best because shock wouldn't force them back.

Edit: militia do fall back further by one inch

DiHK posted:

This may be changing. Is anyone else interested in sabots/movement trays from him? I know there's some great laser cut options for sabots but I haven't found a US based supplier and the plastic is easier to work with in terms of paint and pinning.

I'm gonna ask him about doing some 2x2's and 2x4 for 25mm rounds and see if he is thinking in terms of one-off custom orders or just adding a line. I suspect it's the latter since once he makes a mold it's easy to make more as needed.
I'd be interested in sabot bases for 20mm circles

muggins fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 30, 2017

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Please elaborate on the melee system. After reading through it and playing one game, the obvious holes I'm seeing are:

1) Attack columns are hosed and you're a silly idiot for using them. They are evidently just worse at everything, which is why most successful armies used them.

2) Cavalry are hosed, to the point where cavalry catching skirmishers in the open should be prepared for a rather even fight, especially if the skirmishers are not in the process of reloading. When this is pointed out, the reply seems to usually be "oh yeah but cavalry is not that much more expensive in point, so what do you expect?", which doesn't adress that it feels very counterintuitive to the period. Napoleonic infantry that is not properly formed should be in grave danger if cavalry gets close.

On the other hand I really like the activation system. It might still be a honeymoon phase, but I even prefer it over CoC's command dice.

Attack columns are completely useless yes. They should take a page from black powder and make them more resistant (in terms of shock) to musketry and less to cannon fire.

Our melee system is just roll a die for every model fighting, your to hit determined by your relative unit quality (veteran, line, conscript) status.

Equal to or less quality: shock on 5, kill on 6
One quality better: shock on 4,5, kill on 6
Two quality +: shock on 3,4,5, kill 6

Saving throws allowed vs shock. Winner determined by total successes (shock and kills), combat results as per the rule book (defeated by x, thrown back x" and extra shock etc)

It makes melee less deadly but still decisive. Allows for more back and forth and so you don't lose half your grenadiers to the militia line.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

It also means you don't have to spend 10 minutes calculating attack die with their terrible chart.

E: quote is not edit

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

That chart is pretty bad, yea

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I like those SP2 house rules and I'll see if we can try them out as well. You could then use them to "fix" cavalry a bit, for example, count them as one step higher on the quality comparison if they catch infantry in skirmish formation, for example.

E: Victrix has a sale on. Am I stupid for wanting to buy more French and Austrian infantry, considering all the cavalry I haven't even started on, or am I very stupid?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 30, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I need to get me some Austrians. I love the pre-shako helmet they wore.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I need to get me some Austrians. I love the pre-shako helmet they wore.

drat right, which pains me as we're definitely doing post 1809 otherwise for our stuff. But that helmet swag!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

I like those SP2 house rules and I'll see if we can try them out as well. You could then use them to "fix" cavalry a bit, for example, count them as one step higher on the quality comparison if they catch infantry in skirmish formation, for example.

E: Victrix has a sale on. Am I stupid for wanting to buy more French and Austrian infantry, considering all the cavalry I haven't even started on, or am I very stupid?

Or you could count the horsie like a man, or part of one. Like Aggressive troops in CoC. Speaking of CoC. Those melee rules look familiar but there it's kills on 5-6 with 6 also dealing shock instead.

One thing I'd consider is maybe not letting elite troops both hit harder, be hard to hit AND have a better saving throw

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

zokie posted:

Or you could count the horsie like a man, or part of one. Like Aggressive troops in CoC. Speaking of CoC. Those melee rules look familiar but there it's kills on 5-6 with 6 also dealing shock instead.

One thing I'd consider is maybe not letting elite troops both hit harder, be hard to hit AND have a better saving throw

I do need to do a little more play testing but it hasn't ended up being that dramatic. Discipline and a bayonet charge is what makes elite troops elite in this era, not necessarily improved shooting (outside of some of the elite light infantry).

For example in a quick play test with 10 grenadiers charging 10 line in the open, both sides killed two models, but the grens inflicted 3 shock to 1 received and won by two, pushing back the line by 9" and inflicting a couple extra shock per group.

Less deadly by half than the base rules but still significant.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 30, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the best chit-based (but on a real gaming board rather than a map/etc.) WW1/2 wargame? If it was free and I could print out the chits myself, that would be even better. Something more meaty than DBA (and with some element of force selection), but ideally <1.5hrs per game.

I'm trying to get more abstract from painting figures with my regular opponent since we've burned through most of the modern skirmish wargames in the last few years and are somewhat fatigued with painting dollies for now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Southern Heel posted:

What's the best chit-based (but on a real gaming board rather than a map/etc.) WW1/2 wargame? If it was free and I could print out the chits myself, that would be even better. Something more meaty than DBA (and with some element of force selection), but ideally <1.5hrs per game.

I'm trying to get more abstract from painting figures with my regular opponent since we've burned through most of the modern skirmish wargames in the last few years and are somewhat fatigued with painting dollies for now.

I think if you want chits on a gaming board you're going to be looking at naval wargaming, which is insanely far outside of my areas of expertise.

I guess really you could print appropriately sized chits to represent models in any game you wanted to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I'd suggest Memoir '44 but there's no force picking. Heroes of Normandy is another option, but I don't actually know how it plays despite really wanting to get it for ages. Other than that... old Avalon Hill games, Advanced Squad Leader or maybe just get some old Axis and Allies miniatures maps and use markers for everything rather than figures?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend me 28mm German artillery? 88s, Leffys, I don't really care. I want to use some as objectives for COC.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone recommend me 28mm German artillery? 88s, Leffys, I don't really care. I want to use some as objectives for COC.

Tamiya has a 1:48 88 kit, look for 1:48 scale models you should find some neat stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Advanced squad leader has chits and less abstraction

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

You missed a good sale at Black Tree Designs on their WW2 equipment. I recently got an 88mm for 16 bucks.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

4th ed FoW is up for preorder. Must resist Soviet naval infantry....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flipswitch posted:

Don't resist!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shouldn't he have a 1938 carbine? Or were naval infantry actually issued full rifles?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Shouldn't he have a 1938 carbine? Or were naval infantry actually issued full rifles?

They definitely had full rifles.

But if you want to find an M38 and buy it for me, I'll update the photo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Resist! (and buy napoleonics instead :P)

I'm a new fan after a few months of painting, and I'm even more excited about painting Hussars than DAK at this point. It's weird and I'm afraid I have a slight fever.

French fever!

So I wrote up a battle report from our first Sharp Practice 2 game. It's less of a battle report than an overview of some of the basics of the game mechanics. But there is deadly skirmish fighting! in a Russian wood! And dashing duels! And army glory shots! And blurry pictures from directly above the battlefield!

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-first-outing-french-vs-russians

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I bought some GHQ Soviet Destroyers (to go with my naval impression above), but I'm not sure of a good way to base them.

E: I do have some of those Langdon bases, maybe I'll just use those,

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 30, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

So I wrote up a battle report from our first Sharp Practice 2 game. It's less of a battle report than an overview of some of the basics of the game mechanics. But there is deadly skirmish fighting! in a Russian wood! And dashing duels! And army glory shots! And blurry pictures from directly above the battlefield!
Nice! I look forward to seeing more reports from your club (of which I am covetous, not gonna lie).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Flipswitch posted:

If it helps they're almost identical to the regular infantry but with one less stand per company! Battlefront would go into more detail but they're busy with giving every SS Panzerkompanie it's own unique special rules.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm extremely happy to have my union force done for SP. Have a con game this weekend.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Lookin' good! Which con?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Speaking of ACW...

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ilor posted:

Lookin' good! Which con?

Just a small one up here, Flintcon. Held in a school gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

If it helps they're almost identical to the regular infantry but with one less stand per company! Battlefront would go into more detail but they're busy with giving every SS Panzerkompanie it's own unique special rules.
Plus the sculpts are terrible. :/ I just don't like 15mm either, not sure why.