Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

DatonKallandor posted:

Hanzo is showing off how much of a badass he is by speaking fluent english in 1600 japan. Nioh (at least the playables) has everybody speak the language they're supposed to be speaking, with appropriate subtitles. So when someone speaks japanese, it's actually japanese. When someone speaks english, it's english. When that someone is japanese, expect them to be really bad at english.

I didn't know that was how it's gonna work. That's actually pretty cool, and will probably feel a lot better. I only recently started following this, before that was 'oh, it's Japanese dark souls. Okay.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

RatHat posted:

I'm not sure any people actually spoke English in Japan in 1600s, iirc the real William Adams spoke through a Portuguese translator before he learned Japanese.

Wait, he was a real dude? I didn't realize they pulled a real person for you to kill demons through.

Also, sorry for double posting. Phone posting makes quotes really hard.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin (三浦按針: "the pilot of Miura"), was an English navigator who in 1600 was the first of his nation to reach Japan. One of a few survivors of the only Dutch East India Company ship to reach Japan from a five-ship expedition of 1598, Adams settled there and became the first ever (and one of the very few) Western samurai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They changed his nationality to Irish in this game though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So for pro support games, is there an option in game to switch between the 4k and 1080 modes? I'm not sure how that works.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I didn't know that was how it's gonna work. That's actually pretty cool, and will probably feel a lot better. I only recently started following this, before that was 'oh, it's Japanese dark souls. Okay.'

It's refreshing to see a publisher who isn't afraid that subtitles will scare the customers. And it really is the best solution for a bi-lingual game - I remember with dread how Onimusha 3 did it's french-japanese stuff.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

RatHat posted:

he's looking for his personal guardian spirit which is a fairy of some sort

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

So for pro support games, is there an option in game to switch between the 4k and 1080 modes? I'm not sure how that works.

depends on the game. In this case, your choices are

PS4 Pro with a 1080p display

Movie Mode
Stable 1920×1080 resolution with high quality anti-aliasing at 30 FPS

Action Mode
Stable 1920x1080 resolution at 60 FPS

PS4 Pro with a 4K display

Movie Mode
Stable 3840x2160 resolution at 30 FPS

Action Mode
Stable 1920x1080 resolution at 60 FPS

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can I roleplay as Oda and light monks on fire and dip my arrows in feces? This is a deal breaker.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

It's refreshing to see a publisher who isn't afraid that subtitles will scare the customers. And it really is the best solution for a bi-lingual game - I remember with dread how Onimusha 3 did it's french-japanese stuff.

Nonsense, high pitched translation fairy wasn't the best solution?!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fat_Cow posted:

Can I roleplay as Oda and light monks on fire and dip my arrows in feces? This is a deal breaker.

There's a system in the game to let you skin William as other characters, so if Nobunaga's in the game he'll probably be "playable".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

here's another (probably early game) cutscene. half of the game must be on youtube by now. spoilers natch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKfDrghME

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

here's another (probably early game) cutscene. half of the game must be on youtube by now. spoilers natch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKfDrghME

Oh huh, the villain isn't Liam O'Brian. Sounded a hell of a lot like him in an earlier cutscene that was shown.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Well poo poo

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Ok yeah, I watched it again and it's good. I take it back.

Dimo ArKacho fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 30, 2017

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Edit: Not phone posting this time. No excuse.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Game gonna own

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm stoked as hell for this. Gonna katana the hell out of some yokai with my guardian spirit buddies and fight every revenant I come across and it's going to own.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

I'm stoked as hell for this. Gonna katana the hell out of some yokai with my guardian spirit buddies and fight every revenant I come across and it's going to own.

That part is going to be important I think. Revenants are great training, great loot and a good source of shrine-trash to turn into elixirs.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

Have fun taking 10 hours to complete a level then. There are revenants like every 5 feet.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RatHat posted:

Have fun taking 10 hours to complete a level then.

Don't worry, I will.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Have fun taking 10 hours to complete a level then. There are revenants like every 5 feet.

Totally cool with that. (I'm probably exaggerating on every revenant but I'm gonna fight a lot of them.)

My favorite enemies in the Last Chance Trial were the lute-playing dudes who summon revenants. They were super clever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loving love the revanents

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think every character revealed so far has been based off a real person around that time period, except maybe that ninja lady William talks to in one of the trailers

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okaji_no_Kata

It's a far stretch but this is who she is based off of.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This game is going to have the complete opposite of Dark Souls lore since everything is based on real people/events with lots of expository cutscenes/dialog so there's 0 room for speculation

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I was going to rent this, but the closer it gets I think I might just buy on day one, if only to encourage high effort Soulslike. I love the idea of SoulsBorne being a genre and not a series. With all the fun ideas in this I want From to be in an arms race to improve themselves.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
As a fan of the Souls series since Demons, the "lore" aspect of the series is it's weakest aspect. It comes from a good place (Miyazaki trying to recreate the feeling he got reading fantasy novels in English as a child and not understanding a lot of the words) but has become obtuse and speculatory to the point that people can make a living just inventing stories based on the placement of items in games that are rushed out the door at the last minute. The biggest miss from Demons for me was the part where the Monumental tells you what is happening and what you need to do.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 30, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Belzac posted:

As a fan of the Souls series since Demons, the "lore" aspect of the series is it's weakest aspect. It comes from a good place (Miyazaki trying to recreate the feeling he got reading fantasy novels in English as a child and not understanding a lot of the words) but has become obtuse and speculatory to the point that people can make a living just inventing stories based on the placement of items games that are rushed out the door at the last minute. The biggest miss from Demons for me was the part where the Monumental tells you what is happening and what you need to do.

I like to think about it like a community ARG with the only reward is to find out What the gently caress. I think its entertaining, but I have no idea what the patrion funded vaati's will do after these games are done.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Bombadilillo posted:

I like to think about it like a community ARG with the only reward is to find out What the gently caress. I think its entertaining, but I have no idea what the patrion funded vaati's will do after these games are done.

Sure I can get behind that. What's going on with the Old One, the religions, what happened to various characters from the intro, etc are all obtuse in Demons but you still know what you're doing and why for most of the game.

And I guess the point that those things have answers in Demons while it feels like from Dark Souls on the answer is "whatever you want to believe".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Belzac posted:

Sure I can get behind that. What's going on with the Old One, the religions, what happened to various characters from the intro, etc are all obtuse in Demons but you still know what you're doing and why for most of the game.

And I guess the point that those things have answers in Demons while it feels like from Dark Souls on the answer is "whatever you want to believe".

Its also fun to have listened to the goon Soulsnerds "Bonfireside Chat" go from loving everything, to being down right dejected in Dark Souls 3 because it answered some long held beliefs of their in ways they didn't like.

So while you want more explicit info, they get the answer to Gwyn's firstborn and whine about how it "should have been left as a mystery". Lol From cant win at this point. The more From explains whats going on the more lorenerds learn they were wrong and get pissed off that From is destroying their childhood 5 year old game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is there an effortpost about build's, Im always worried about what I should be working towards in these games, or is it too early to know what the final game will have? I see the stats breakdown in the OP, but im interested in more get x and y to 20 then work on main weapon stat, type advice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the game isn't out yet and we don't even know half the skills in it yet, so that would be a bit premature

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
In general you should be pretty safe putting points into your main weapons main stat and bumping Skill/Strength/Endurance whenever you get a piece of armor or a weapon you want to use but don't meet the requirements. All stats give out quite a lot of side benefits in addition to their main so it's pretty hard to own yourself and there's respec items so just go with whatever.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RatHat posted:

To be fair, trying to explain to an american audience how a british guy could be the hero might be hard, Irish is 'safe'.

*twirls mustache imperially*

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The demos made me go from someone not interested at all to a buyer

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

The demos made me go from someone not interested at all to a buyer

Same

RatHat posted:

Wait why?

E: I guess they just liked the actors accent and stuck with it.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The villain and William's guardian spirit are celtic themed so maybe they also wanted to stick with that (not a spoiler since that's been in all the promo material)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He's doing a pretty good accent so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They said in an interview that I can't find that it's because irish mythology is all spirits and poo poo

Pretty sure that's a direct quote

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 30, 2017