Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have found that (American) people who come from areas with zero black people seem to be very unfamiliar with Mitsubishi at all, maybe they've heard of an Evo but that's about it. It's a more subtle litmus test than something like "do you like Aphex Twin"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have found that (American) people who come from areas with zero black people seem to be very unfamiliar with Mitsubishi at all, maybe they've heard of an Evo but that's about it. It's a more subtle litmus test than something like "do you like Aphex Twin"?

PCOS Bill posted:

People with bad credit if my neighborhood is anything to judge by.

Lots of Mitsubishis around me.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I actually wish there were more cars like the Mirage hatchback. Small. Light. Car. Nothing complicated, skinny cheap tires.

The mirage is the VW beetle of modern times. It's slow. It's small. It sounds like a lawnmower.

The mk1 golf/ rabbit was like this. The engines in that car were even less powerful. The original Civic was another good example.

Mitsubishi managed to make a small light car that meets modern crash standards, and has new safety systems and airbags. The problem for Mitsubishi is that everything even remotely comparable is not really that much more money. The mirage is too expensive, especially when you compare it to the Versa.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

0toShifty posted:

I actually wish there were more cars like the Mirage hatchback. Small. Light. Car. Nothing complicated, skinny cheap tires.

The mirage is the VW beetle of modern times. It's slow. It's small. It sounds like a lawnmower.

The mk1 golf/ rabbit was like this. The engines in that car were even less powerful. The original Civic was another good example.

Mitsubishi managed to make a small light car that meets modern crash standards, and has new safety systems and airbags. The problem for Mitsubishi is that everything even remotely comparable is not really that much more money. The mirage is too expensive, especially when you compare it to the Versa.

Have you ever actually driven one

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

They offered a 0 down and no payments for 2 years deal around 99', I knew someone whop got a 3000GT VR4 this way. At the end of the two years, surprise most weren't able to pay the car note and now Mitsubishi was stuck repossessing 2 year old vehicles with no cash in hand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

0toShifty posted:

Actually, the mirage tires are more expensive than similar cars because they're special snowflake 14s. The cheapest tire for it on tire rack is $75 a tire and you have 3 choices. The cheapest tire for the micra/versa is $47/tire, and you have more than 30 choices under $70, meaning the tire shop is definitely going to have one when you need it.

When the micra was launched in canada at $10k, they used 15" to ensure they had a cheaper, more common tire size. The mirage is 74hp, the micra was 109hp. Micra handling described as "competent", mirage handling described as "dangerous". Mitsubishi managed to create a garbage car with a garbage engine and garbage handling for $13,000.

Nissan created a much much better car for $10k. The US just didn't get it because they're a bunch of cunts.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Actually, the mirage tires are more expensive than similar cars because they're special snowflake 14s. The cheapest tire for it on tire rack is $75 a tire and you have 3 choices. The cheapest tire for the micra/versa is $47/tire, and you have more than 30 choices under $70, meaning the tire shop is definitely going to have one when you need it.

When the micra was launched in canada at $10k, they used 15" to ensure they had a cheaper, more common tire size. The mirage is 74hp, the micra was 109hp. Micra handling described as "competent", mirage handling described as "dangerous". Mitsubishi managed to create a garbage car with a garbage engine and garbage handling for $13,000.

Nissan created a much much better car for $10k. The US just didn't get it because they're a bunch of cunts.

The old mirages were death traps. Literally a tin can, so these must be some improvement.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

It's actually because we're not a bunch of poor city rats and nobody buys those little turdmobiles unless they have to

For actual good cheap cars, something like the Soul is just miles better

The Sicilian posted:

The old mirages were death traps. Literally a tin can, so these must be some improvement.

You wouldn't know it from sitting in them. They still feel like tin cans

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 29, 2017

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I have a soft spot for the Micra. Apt name, and nothing wrong with cheap basic transport. The only thing cheaper would be a motorcycle and you can't even drive those in the winter (if you're sane).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like to think of the micra as the homologation special for the nissan micra cup car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Powershift posted:

I like to think of the micra as the homologation special for the nissan micra cup car.

Nah you want one of these bad boys

http://jalopnik.com/is-this-twincharged-nissan-the-most-forgotten-homologat-1653317711

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

Instead, they gave us the Versa, which looks, feels and probably drives like a piece of poo poo. In the U.S., economy cars are supposed to nudge us into bigger, nicer cars.

Meanwhile, got to drive around in a new Escape Titanium with one of the EcoBoost engines (probably the 2.0 twin-screw Ecoboost motor). It was reasonably comfortable and pretty peppy, but the SelectShift transmission felt sluggish and absent-minded and the fuel economy was a bit garbage imo.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

0toShifty posted:

My friend, you are looking for a Ford Fiesta. :unsmith:

Real talk though it's great, highly recommend. #1 seller in England. It costs just enough where they don't have to buy absolute bottom of the barrel components and everything is decent quality. The ride quality and driving dynamics are excellent for its price point.

Vroom vroom :unsmith:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 29, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Domestic Amuse posted:

Instead, they gave us the Versa, which looks, feels and probably drives like a piece of poo poo. In the U.S., economy cars are supposed to nudge us into bigger, nicer cars.

The Micra is like that too, just smaller.

You need to step up to a Fiesta/2/Polo to get something worthwhile.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it's not like the micra is some super solid beacon of quality but it's a zippy cheap little bugger. The fiesta is nearly twice the price.

at current exchange rates, the micra starts at $7607 USD, £6052 GBP.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 30, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Lots of military types buy the lower model Lancers to haul around their flock of children, so they can talk about how their car is almost an Evo and could smoke any Subaru

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

stevobob posted:

Lots of military types buy the lower model Lancers to haul around their flock of children, so they can talk about how their car is almost an Evo and could smoke any Subaru

Sick burn on people that make $30K/year.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Sick burn on people that make $30K/year.

$30k of disposable, mostly tax-free income because their housing, food, college, and health care is all free.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I wish Mitsu would pop a turbo on that Mirage. If that thing was like 150hp it'd be a hoot. Just offer a Ralliart version for under 20 grand and it'll probably sell well. Especially if they do some light upgrades to the seats and add some more sound deadening.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Pajero/Montero is one of the best selling cars in the UAE.

In the US? I have no idea.

Its a land cruiser prado for those who dont want to pay the ridiculous middle east toyota markup and absolutely insanely low depreciation of toyota suvs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

I wish Mitsu would pop a turbo on that Mirage. If that thing was like 150hp it'd be a hoot. Just offer a Ralliart version for under 20 grand and it'll probably sell well. Especially if they do some light upgrades to the seats and add some more sound deadening.

Mitsubishi can't even afford to paint the underside of the hood on a Mirage, there's no way they're investing the R&D capital to throw a turbocharger on their strangled three.

I wonder what the Leaf shared-platform thing is going to bring for them.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 30, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Mirage is a real piece of poo poo that is, like someone else mentioned, a pretty bad proposition because something better is so little more money that you shouldn't really consider it. It feels like an economy car they would sell in a third-world market but it's like 13k new.

Mitsubishi is offering 10 yr/100k warranties on like everything they sell now however so maybe that's why I see a few around?

My last car was an '07 Eclipse with the 5-speed manual and I4 engine with like 160 HP and VVT (whatever it did for the engine). Basically a car with all the inconvenience of driving a 2-seat sports car (it had rear seats that would maybe comfortably seat a 9-year old and OK cargo room when you folded them down) and none of the performance. Well OK maybe it was a little more fun than driving a Corolla or something. Also had zero issues with the car other than regular maintenance things (timing belt, shocks/springs are the big things I remember doing). Had to replace a resistor pack for the interior ventilation blower but a pleasant side effect of the crappy interior was that it was really easy to take apart so that was a $15 repair for me. All in all not really a bad ownership experience.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Had to replace a resistor pack for the interior ventilation blower but a pleasant side effect of the crappy interior was that it was really easy to take apart so that was a $15 repair for me.

Both '97 Mirages we had also had the vent fan resistor packs break. My brother didn't bother with a replacement part, and instead did some micro controller work to make an improved fan controller: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/424967

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I sat in a Camaro SS 1 LE this weekend and it was excellent.

The Recaros fit my 6'2" 230lb frame no problem, and the car looks glorious with those 285 front and 305 rear tires. Only thing I don't like is the vinyl wrap on the hood, which can just be pulled off, or potentially traded with someone else who has a white Camaro if they like the look.

Chances of getting this car at the end of the year are ranging into the 'conceivable'.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Both '97 Mirages we had also had the vent fan resistor packs break. My brother didn't bother with a replacement part, and instead did some micro controller work to make an improved fan controller: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/424967

That's pretty dope. It never would have occurred to me to use PWM to replace a lovely resistor pack.

Probably will come in handy at some point in the future when I'm working on a rare and ill-supported car, but it's also pretty easy to solder new resistors onto most packs.

I'd probably cap the bottom and top of the pot range so you can have chunkier "no fan" and "full fan" ranges that feel good (although low voltage probably caps itself by dint of not being able to spin the motor), but the high variability is really cool.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 30, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

tijag posted:

I sat in a Camaro SS 1 LE this weekend and it was excellent.

The Recaros fit my 6'2" 230lb frame no problem, and the car looks glorious with those 285 front and 305 rear tires. Only thing I don't like is the vinyl wrap on the hood, which can just be pulled off, or potentially traded with someone else who has a white Camaro if they like the look.

Chances of getting this car at the end of the year are ranging into the 'conceivable'.
For 2018 Ford finally decided they wanted to include great rubber and mag shocks on the performance package too, and its not a GM. Looks better and isn't a pillbox. Get the real deal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's pretty dope. It never would have occurred to me to use PWM to replace a lovely resistor pack.

Probably will come in handy at some point in the future when I'm working on a rare and ill-supported car, but it's also pretty easy to solder new resistors onto most packs.

I'd probably cap the bottom and top of the pot range so you can have chunkier "no fan" and "full fan" ranges that feel good (although low voltage probably caps itself by dint of not being able to spin the motor), but the high variability is really cool.

Yeah, I'm not as creative or handy as my brother, so I just coped until his Mirage had the head gasket go and I got the new fan controller. That code limits how slow the fan can go, and makes sure to start it at maximum speed to break any static friction.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ilkhan posted:

For 2018 Ford finally decided they wanted to include great rubber and mag shocks on the performance package too, and its not a GM. Looks better and isn't a pillbox. Get the real deal.

I'm not 100% sold in the refreshed Mustang look, but the visibility out of the Camaro is sub-optimal, obviously.

The 2 different 2016 mustangs I test drove [GT and GT PP] were not to my liking. The base GT felt like it was floating and completely disconnected from the road, the PP was busy and choppy.

Comparatively the Camaro had way better suspension. I'm expecting the refreshed Mustang to still be behind the Camaro with respects chassis tuning.

Also the Camaro motor is more to my liking than the current Mustang motor, but perhaps in the refresh the Mustang motor will be improved.

I also assume the Mustang will lose it's pricing advantage with respects the Camaro in adding the better tires and mag shocks to the Mustang. At which point it really comes down to preference, and the look of the new Camaro has grown on me since it's launch.

I hope Ford does a great job with the 2018 Mustang and makes the decision difficult.

tijag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

tijag posted:

I'm not 100% sold in the refreshed Mustang look, but the visibility out of the Camaro is sub-optimal, obviously.

Get a scat pack Challenger for like $10k (or more) off.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Fair enough. I saw a 2016 camaro on the road yesterday. I could tell it was new from the little camaro logo on the front fender. Otherwise I would have never known...

TheWevel posted:

Easier to buy one from farmer John, if you want a pig.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How much better is the visibility in the Mustang compared to the Camaro anyways? I mean they both have compromised vis compared to non-sporty cars.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
How could you say no this this?!

http://www.northlakecjd.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-9325a0db0a0e0adf001605de92772270.htm

Sure it's fat and some would say ugly but seems worth it imho.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Fair enough. I saw a 2016 camaro on the road yesterday. I could tell it was new from the little camaro logo on the front fender. Otherwise I would have never known...

Easier to buy one from farmer John, if you want a pig.

The Challenger is not an option for me. Hard pass personally.

The new Camaros do look a lot like the old one, but it's clearly smaller and less cartoonish IMO. The last gen is all hard sharp lines and very much looks like a toy, the new one has more curves and also gets rid of the 'shark fin gills' thing on the side of the car which I had always hated.

Another issue I have with the Ford is that I always see poorly aligned hoods on the Mustang, which would drive me crazy. It seems as though the curved hood design is too complicated to 'nail' the panel gaps there, and it is in such a visible place that my eyes are always drawn to it. Whereas I like the overall shape of the Mustang quite a bit [outgoing one at least] I think the problems with the hood would drive me crazy.

tijag fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 30, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tijag posted:

The 2 different 2016 mustangs I test drove [GT and GT PP] were not to my liking. The base GT felt like it was floating and completely disconnected from the road, the PP was busy and choppy.

Comparatively the Camaro had way better suspension. I'm expecting the refreshed Mustang to still be behind the Camaro with respects chassis tuning.

Also the Camaro motor is more to my liking than the current Mustang motor, but perhaps in the refresh the Mustang motor will be improved.

I also assume the Mustang will lose it's pricing advantage with respects the Camaro in adding the better tires and mag shocks to the Mustang. At which point it really comes down to preference, and the look of the new Camaro has grown on me since it's launch.

I hope Ford does a great job with the 2018 Mustang and makes the decision difficult.

The Camaro has been a better driving car for a while, but it's entirely moot as long as you can't see out of the drat drivers seat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I sat in a new Mirage at a car show over the summer and was absolutely astounded at how cheap and lovely the interior was. I'm not even one of those people who pay close attention to car interiors for the most part. Something like the sun visor felt so flimsy I wouldn't have been surprised if it just came off in my hand when I flipped it down.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

How much better is the visibility in the Mustang compared to the Camaro anyways? I mean they both have compromised vis compared to non-sporty cars.

You sit higher in the Mustang and the greenhouse is significantly bigger than the Camaro.

The Mustang has compromised visibility over an Accord/Camry/Civic/Mazda6 type of car, but it is noticeably better than the Camaro.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

TheWevel posted:

I tried a 2016 Mustang GT, Camero SS and Challenger Scat Pack. I bought the Scat Pack as it is a better cruiser and I use it for commuting. If I wanted a track car I would have gotten a Camero or Mustang. Things like looks and noise are subjective but I don't regret my decision but having done similar commutes in the past in sports cars I would probably regret getting something with a harder edge. Price wasn't a big concern as I went in eyeing up a Hellcat but I decided to keep an extra $20k to go into the house fund since there were very few situations I would use 485bhp never mind 707.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tijag posted:

The Challenger is not an option for me. Hard pass personally.

The new Camaros do look a lot like the old one, but it's clearly smaller and less cartoonish IMO. The last gen is all hard sharp lines and very much looks like a toy, the new one has more curves and also gets rid of the 'shark fin gills' thing on the side of the car which I had always hated.

Another issue I have with the Ford is that I always see poorly aligned hoods on the Mustang, which would drive me crazy. It seems as though the curved hood design is too complicated to 'nail' the panel gaps there, and it is in such a visible place that my eyes are always drawn to it. Whereas I like the overall shape of the Mustang quite a bit [outgoing one at least] I think the problems with the hood would drive me crazy.

Is the bottom one the new one? Christ that's bad. How many cameras does it need so you can see enough to park it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Pretty neat!

I was really forced to replace it since it also stopped the A/C from working for some reason in addition to disabling the first two fan speeds... think the A/C ran off if it as well looking at the circuit on the pack but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pretty neat!

I was really forced to replace it since it also stopped the A/C from working for some reason in addition to disabling the first two fan speeds... think the A/C ran off if it as well looking at the circuit on the pack but I'm not sure.

Yeah, there's a circuit that makes sure the fan is powered before allowing the compressor to run.