Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All this trouble seemed to start when my computer froze when I was uninstalling Gears of War 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently it's a hidden folder on C called found.000 that's taking up so much room. How can I delete this file? Nothing is letting me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

All this trouble seemed to start when my computer froze when I was uninstalling Gears of War 4.

It's sounding like something is damaged on your hard drive, like physically. Try checking with CrystalDiskInfo to see if there's any indicators in there that get highlighted.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of the symptoms of a failing hard drive is stuff freezing because the program made an I/O call and is awaiting the response, which the drive isn't responding to while it tries to deal with its problems (different drives have different thresholds before they call it quits and declare it as a failed operation). Definitely get that checked out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
14986 is the latest slow ring insider build, right?

I'm trying to decide which ring I should run my main laptop on. Its been fast ring for a long time, but not sure if I should stay there with my new laptop.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Overwatch crashes in the latest fast ring build if that helps you decide.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ilkhan posted:

I'm trying to decide which ring I should run my main laptop on

Definitely not fast ring for your main pc, that's a great way to be unhappy all the time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Factor Mystic posted:

Definitely not fast ring for your main pc, that's a great way to be unhappy all the time.
Laptop and desktop have both been on fast ring since launch. You're right that its been rough at times, so I think I'll stick with slow ring for now. Its easy enough to switch it later. That said 15019 has some quirks but has been much better than the previous few builds were.

Twibbit posted:

Overwatch crashes in the latest fast ring build if that helps you decide.
Don't play overwatch, but good info.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
If you want official way to get free Windows 10 Upgrade use this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A clean install using a 7 key has worked for me, using the same key that was present in a 7 installation that wouldn't do the free upgrade. If an upgrade fails, it might be worth making a disk image and trying that route out.
Also not a sure-fire thing but it seems it largely works.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikusR posted:

If you want official way to get free Windows 10 Upgrade use this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Not if you're an ableist jerk. :mad:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

fishmech posted:

There's already been reports from several people online that they tried to do that and Windows 10 wouldn't accept it for free upgrade anymore. It's pretty stupid to claim you can rely on doing it in the OP.

It's more stupid to buy a complete new license just in case. The smart thing is to install Win 10 and try the activation with an old key. It takes what, 5 minutes to buy a new license if it doesn't work. And you would still have 30 days left to try every other trick for getting a cheaper license.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
In case anyone's curious, I had tied my key to my MS account, but it still told me to gently caress off when I tried to activate it on all-new hardware. Not that I thought it'd work, but it seemed worth a try.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fats posted:

In case anyone's curious, I had tied my key to my MS account, but it still told me to gently caress off when I tried to activate it on all-new hardware. Not that I thought it'd work, but it seemed worth a try.

You used the word key there, so I have to ask: you didn't accidentally enter a product key while installing, did you?

And you already tried the activation troubleshooter?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
No, left it blank while installing. I did try the troubleshooter, but it basically says that the device previously linked to my account can't be used to activate this one. v:downs:v

Not a big deal, win7 pro keys are still cheap, but it would've been nice.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fats posted:

No, left it blank while installing. I did try the troubleshooter, but it basically says that the device previously linked to my account can't be used to activate this one. v:downs:v

It's definitely interesting to hear. Just out of curiosity, what kind of license was it on the old machine? OEM, digital license from an upgrade (from what, if so), etc.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Digital license from a Win 7 Pro upgrade. Original key was one I got from my college ages ago, which might explain it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I activate a Windows in VMWare (or Virtualbox) and somehow accidentally delete that "installation" will I be able to reinstall and reactivate using the same key, on the exact same host computer?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fats posted:

Hmm, I know you can deactivate a key, I wonder if it's possible to deauthorize a windows install tied to an MS account.

Never tried it myself.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I activate a Windows in VMWare (or Virtualbox) and somehow accidentally delete that "installation" will I be able to reinstall and reactivate using the same key, on the exact same host computer?

The device signature depends in part on the systems MAC address, which is different for every VM, so unless you wrote down the old one, no.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I figure I would ask what is likely a stupid question but I can't seem to parse it into a web search with any success. I have noticed lately that I when waking from sleep or even a reboot my system acts oddly for the first 10 minutes or so. At first the system goes online, often for the first minute or so steam will connect and I can check my e-mail or load a page or two. Then suddenly I lose all connections for about 2-5 minutes, everything will time out but the actual computer is working fine in terms of using anything that doesn't require an internet connection. This is a desktop system with a wired connection, no hardware changes is roughly a year but since roughly Christmas this has been an issue. My laptop does not have this issue running windows 10 home as opposed to the pro version on my desktop. Any advice on how to solve this issue?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Depending on your needs, the easiest thing is probably the pre-fab VMs from MS themselves - https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Space Cadet posted:

I figure I would ask what is likely a stupid question but I can't seem to parse it into a web search with any success. I have noticed lately that I when waking from sleep or even a reboot my system acts oddly for the first 10 minutes or so. At first the system goes online, often for the first minute or so steam will connect and I can check my e-mail or load a page or two. Then suddenly I lose all connections for about 2-5 minutes, everything will time out but the actual computer is working fine in terms of using anything that doesn't require an internet connection. This is a desktop system with a wired connection, no hardware changes is roughly a year but since roughly Christmas this has been an issue. My laptop does not have this issue running windows 10 home as opposed to the pro version on my desktop. Any advice on how to solve this issue?

Start by checking the system logs: Right-click Start, open Event Viewer, look through the Windows Logs > System around the time you put the system to sleep, resumed, and the problem occurred.

You'd be on the look-out for any errors and warnings, and events that seem to relate to network.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I will do that, thanks! I find trying to use google for non-specific searches related to windows 10 just brings out crazy paranoid blogs and weird sites telling you how to disable services and poo poo. Then you search about those services and there are results telling you not to be retarded about listening to the other blogs...

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just got a new laptop and attached my Microsoft account or whatever to log in to it. Now my desktop (triple monitor) and laptop have unified desktop graphics, which is annoying the hell out of me, because I'd really like to have my laptop have it's own desktop image and not have it make the same drat picture on all three desktop monitors. Is there a setting to turn this poo poo off? I tried to google it but couldn't word it in a way that got me this specific problem.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Quidthulhu posted:

I just got a new laptop and attached my Microsoft account or whatever to log in to it. Now my desktop (triple monitor) and laptop have unified desktop graphics, which is annoying the hell out of me, because I'd really like to have my laptop have it's own desktop image and not have it make the same drat picture on all three desktop monitors. Is there a setting to turn this poo poo off? I tried to google it but couldn't word it in a way that got me this specific problem.

Settings: Account > Sync your settings > set Individual Sync Settings - Theme to [Off]

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

dont be mean to me posted:

Settings: Account > Sync your settings > set Individual Sync Settings - Theme to [Off]

Thank you very much! That was easy~

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Space Cadet posted:

I will do that, thanks! I find trying to use google for non-specific searches related to windows 10 just brings out crazy paranoid blogs and weird sites telling you how to disable services and poo poo. Then you search about those services and there are results telling you not to be retarded about listening to the other blogs...

i turned off all the services because i dont need no microsoft monkey seeing my messed up browsing habits

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've got a copy of Windows 10 that keeps losing all of the items pinned to the start menu - is there something I can do to prevent this?

I've got, basically, Microsoft office pinned, and every third or fourth restart, it goes back to only showing Settings, Store, and Microsoft Edge - 2/3 of which I have literally never used.

Potential complication: It is running virtualized in Parallels on a Macbook Pro.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I've got a copy of Windows 10 that keeps losing all of the items pinned to the start menu - is there something I can do to prevent this?

I've got, basically, Microsoft office pinned, and every third or fourth restart, it goes back to only showing Settings, Store, and Microsoft Edge - 2/3 of which I have literally never used.

Potential complication: It is running virtualized in Parallels on a Macbook Pro.

Make a new user profile and see if it happens to that one too. If not, switch to that new one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oof, that sounds like a lot of work. I'm going to try this first, will report back.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

Oof, that sounds like a lot of work. I'm going to try this first, will report back.

Its about as much work as creating a new user account and then logging into it and checking things.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

redeyes posted:

Its about as much work as creating a new user account and then logging into it and checking things.
... and moving files, and creating / moving an outlook profile, etc.

It's certainly doable but it's not as simple as an on/off switch.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just left my computer for 10 minutes and when I came back, Windows 10 apparently had downloaded and installed an update and rebooted the system. No prompt, no warning, just came back to a clean desktop and when I checked the performance tab in the task manager, uptime was at 4 minutes.

Some of my open work files were not saved automatically before the shutdown and are now gone/in a previous revision state.

What the gently caress Microsoft? How could anyone think this is reasonable?

Then I googled and yes - your computer may or may not reboot now randomly when Windows Update deems it necessary. I found that there is a window of "active hours" you can set where such reboots should not be performed, but hey, it's already active and set to 8:00 am - 6:00 pm.
This particular reboot occured at 9:56 am. I reiterate - what the everliving gently caress?

This is beyond ridiculous. It seems you can futz around in task scheduler and basically write protect some files to prevent this from happening, but seriously, what?

There is at least one software engineer working at Microsoft who thought "Yeah, this is a good idea". I can't wrap my head around this.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, had a similar thing happen when I set up a Win10 VM to debug/monitor a process, came back the next day and everything was gone without a trace (:v:) because of a forced reboot like this.

I assume there's a group policy to disable this but it blows my mind that Microsoft just gets away with user hostile things like this, even though it's probably a good thing for the average user's Windows installation.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, newer versions of windows are really frustrating to me. I get the importance of installing updates, but I use my desktop ~3 days a week, and I can't remember the last time I didn't boot it up to be greeted with "UPDATES ARE REQUIRED YOU CAN'T CLICK ON ANYTHING EXCEPT THIS SO SCREW YOU IF YOU WERE HOPING TO GET SOMETHING DONE".

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why does my Win10 suddenly think Xbone wireless adapter is network interface?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I've never had Windows 10 restart unexpectedly on me. I shut my computer down at night though.

What I have had happen was two shutdown or startups that unexpectedly took, like, 30-60 minutes while it was preparing updates (after the anniversary update, so it wasn't that). Kinda awkward when I needed to restart for another reason and it took ages. Note that I have a (good) SSD.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What can anyone say; sometimes people park system security updates for two weeks and don't bother to save their work.

Could be worse: some people park system security updates for two weeks and are livestreamers.

Well, worse for them, anyway; I think it's funny as hell.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've had the restarts before during the time I had specified as "active hours". It seems to just completely ignore that setting from time to time.

While I like Windows 10 in general, the way updates are handled is inexcusable.

In the middle of browsing forums? OMGOMGOMG IMPORTANT UPDATES INCOMING! CANT WAIT! MUST REBOOT NOW!
Oh, playing a game? UPDATES!
Watching Youtube? UPDATES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile, I don't think my W10 computer has ever gone down involuntarily for updates, and I'm fairly certain it hasn't even gotten the anniversary update yet.