Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I would love if they threw in Irish folklore but that's just background stuff for William, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

In general you should be pretty safe putting points into your main weapons main stat and bumping Skill/Strength/Endurance whenever you get a piece of armor or a weapon you want to use but don't meet the requirements. All stats give out quite a lot of side benefits in addition to their main so it's pretty hard to own yourself and there's respec items so just go with whatever.

It also helps that every weapon type scales with multiple stats (one primary, one secondary, one tertiary), and many scale with at least one stat that you're probably going to level at least a little bit. You're almost always going to have one or two weapon types that are reasonable backups in addition to your main weapon type. Heart, for example, gets you one-handed katanas and bows, but it also a secondary scaling stat for many dual katanas. Depending on how high armor requirements get, everyone's also likely to have a non-negligible score in two of the following: Body (spears), Strength (axes, cannons), Skill (dual swords, rifles), and/or Stamina (axes).

You're basically always going to have some versatility, basically.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I found it, it was a q&a thing
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Action-Adventure/Nioh-Q-amp-A-with-Yosuke-Hayashi/m-p/24864763

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^According to that QA, you can get the alpha/beta/demo visuals by beating revenants wearing them. That's a good solution.

And if you use ranged weapons you're probably going to carry one of each, no matter which ones benefit from your stats just so you can use all the ammo types. Bare head? Arrow. Helmet? Musket. Group? Cannon.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I could not tell the difference mechanically between bows and muskets besides the fact arrows are way more common

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is there any sort of projectile drop off? I can't really remember. maybe arrows and muskets have different physics or something

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I could not tell the difference mechanically between bows and muskets besides the fact arrows are way more common

Firearms pierce helmets, bows do not.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bullets punch straight through helmets, arrows just knock them off

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
What was the alternative bullet again? I know arrows were anti-yokai arrows and cannons are huge-AoE cannonballs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bows shoot faster than rifles, right? Because otherwise rifles are definitely better (they pierce through helmets and seem to do more headshot damage).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Bows and rifles have the same fire rate iirc

I think the other type of bullet was incendiary but there's buttons for up to 4 different types of ammo so maybe we'll see more at release

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Not going to lie, I'm surprised that William's canon Guardian Spirit is a Leprechaun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Guns also alert all nearby enemies to the gunshot, while bows are silent. At least that was my experience.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Guns also alert all nearby enemies to the gunshot, while bows are silent. At least that was my experience.

No, you're right.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Bows seem weaker in general than muskets too, but arrows seem more common. Also I think you have a chance to retrieve an arrow you've shot at an enemy.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hello Nioh thread I look forward to beating my head against this game until it either clicks or I rage quit. Either is possible! But how much will my experience suffer if I have a plebeian non-pro PS4?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The demo ran fine for me on PSOld

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rangpur posted:

Hello Nioh thread I look forward to beating my head against this game until it either clicks or I rage quit. Either is possible! But how much will my experience suffer if I have a plebeian non-pro PS4?

Not much at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't play the demos so I didn't get a feel for how nioh plays. It looks cool but I'm worried by discussions of how easily you can be instakilled (or nearly instakilled). I've beaten bloodborne and all the souls games so I can handle a tough difficulty baseline, but generally did not enjoy the parts of those games that demanded near-perfection, which bloodborne increasingly does in the chalice dungeons. How perfect did it feel like you had to be to complete all the content in the nioh demos?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Not at all. On a regular old PS4 the game runs at a smooth 720p60 in action mode. It's not the most amazing in terms of visual design anyway so the bump down in resolution really is not that big of a deal.

Digirat posted:

I didn't play the demos so I didn't get a feel for how nioh plays. It looks cool but I'm worried by discussions of how easily you can be instakilled (or nearly instakilled). I've beaten bloodborne and all the souls games so I can handle a tough difficulty baseline, but generally did not enjoy the parts of those games that demanded near-perfection, which bloodborne increasingly does in the chalice dungeons. How perfect did it feel like you had to be to complete all the content in the nioh demos?

Also not at all. Like, the alpha was by far the most lethal of the public early builds but by the beta and the more recent demo things seem to be balanced so that you never have to worry about being killed in one combo if you're at full health and have decent armor. Moreover, the game gives you a lot of tools to split up deadly multiple enemy encounters, such as by sniping enemies from a distance (headshots almost always oneshot) or using things like grenades or your Living Weapon (basically a super mode).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 30, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

As a souls and bloodborne veteran, I was not able to complete the second and third demos before time ran out. I played a few hours of each.

That said, it's not so much harder as it is different. That difference makes it quite an adjustment.

I really, really, really want to get this, but between budgetary concerns and really needing to focus on school this semester, I'm not sure I'll be getting it until summer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
armor in nioh matters a lot more than in the souls games, so with decent armor you can usually tank a couple of hits before you get in real trouble.

unless you get hit from behind then you're hosed

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People were dying a lot at the start because they kept trying to play it like Dark Souls and didn't know about the game's mechanics (which the alpha didn't explain terribly well).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a set that turns off being able to be backstabbed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Also blocking works really well in Nioh and way better than without a shield in Dark Souls. It's something you kinda have to get used to.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Also blocking works really well in Nioh and way better than without a shield in Dark Souls. It's something you kinda have to get used to.

This. Blocking blocks 100% of incoming damage and prevents any elemental/status effect from building up. If you're stuck in an enemy's combo you want to block, then roll away. Trying just to dodge away won't work and gets a lot of people killed.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Nioh may be Soulslike but it ain't a Souls game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Phantasium posted:

People were dying a lot at the start because they kept trying to play it like Dark Souls and didn't know about the game's mechanics (which the alpha didn't explain terribly well).

This is were I fell off and Im going completely off goon word of mouth and hope that I will get the rhythm of this game too. My biggest concern now is when the Dark Souls 3 DLC comes out and I have to switch back to a different style.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Phantasium posted:

Sounds like someone relied on 100% block/high stability shields to get through all of the Souls games

it's me

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Relin posted:

Sounds like someone relied on 100% block/high stability shields to get through all of the Souls games

it's me

So my glass cannon roll backwards and pyro build wont translate?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Block also blocks 360 degrees around your character and you can block in the middle of a string of hits on you. Block is very good. Please block.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

This is were I fell off and Im going completely off goon word of mouth and hope that I will get the rhythm of this game too. My biggest concern now is when the Dark Souls 3 DLC comes out and I have to switch back to a different style.

March 28

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

March 28

I knew it was march, but I guess that's a way longer time than I thought it was. Ill probably be Niohed out by then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I died approximately 350 times in the Last Chance demo's main level. I died about 150 times in the swordsman duel before the demo timer ran out and it ended

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of DLC, any indication what sort of stuff we might be looking at for Nioh?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The digital deluxe whatever edition comes with a season pass so I'm assuming there will be at least a few dlcs. In addition the mission set up makes it pretty easy to just shove a few levels in without weird keys and teleports like the souls.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

quote:

The Season Pass includes three new downloadable story chapters – each with new enemies and quests – which you can access as soon as they’re available.

Featuring:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That answers that, then. Hopefully they're a little more substantial then DS3's DLC, oye.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"Dragon of the North" is probably about Date Masamune right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RatHat posted:

"Dragon of the North" is probably about Date Masamune right?

i believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA