Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

The style reminds me a bit of this weird playable AI-shipset mod. Someone made an entire group of robot races, including a shipset. With the exception of the missing neon-colors, this looks a lot like a better version. So maybe playable AI?

We know that'll be an ascension perk, so it very well could be. Alternatively it could be a souped-up AI rebellion, or a robotic FE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want to build doomships, is that too much to ask. Seriously, slap some engines on an orbital habitat, makes the 'buildings' different weapons and poo poo, aw man that'd be awesome :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CommissarMega posted:

I want to build doomships, is that too much to ask. Seriously, slap some engines on an orbital habitat, makes the 'buildings' different weapons and poo poo, aw man that'd be awesome :allears:

Pfft, that's small time. Eventually, I hope you can build an artificial star, send it spinning past a system and completely destroying it as its mass wrenches planets out of their orbits, flinging them into the void.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Libluini posted:

The style reminds me a bit of this weird playable AI-shipset mod. Someone made an entire group of robot races, including a shipset. With the exception of the missing neon-colors, this looks a lot like a better version. So maybe playable AI?
Yes, please.

Although I am surprised that stations and such in Stellaris are not more spherical or toroid. But maybe they have some magical artificial gravity.

Also... as an immoral xenophobic Empire, I want to be able to use biological weapons that auto-purge galaxy.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dwesa posted:

Yes, please.

Although I am surprised that stations and such in Stellaris are not more spherical or toroid. But maybe they have some magical artificial gravity.

Future Tech did it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why does high opinion from the enclaves not do anything? I would think there would be the possibility of adding interactions where you could solicit donations for opinion or other things (maybe train a leader?) but as far as I can tell the only thing to do is to reach their 50 mark and thats it.

What's the consensus on Shield Capacitors? Worth it? I mean, I haven't found the hull regen aliens yet so I wonder if it might be worth it to go heavy on shields?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dwesa posted:

Once you've allowed magical FTL engines into your setting, magical artificial gravity doesn't seem like it's worth quibbling over.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Reveilled posted:

Once you've allowed magical FTL engines into your setting, magical artificial gravity doesn't seem like it's worth quibbling over.

Magic gravity is fine in sci-fi, but poo poo like the 2001 space station and O'Neill Cylinders just look rad though. My favorite station in the game is the little pre-FTL Early Space Age station. All the rest just seem kinda static.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So, should I be splitting up my fleets by types, so that I have my sluggers go in first, while my long-range ships strike, with my torpedo boats then coming in when the fleets are already engaged?

Or is it just the same as keeping them under one blob?

Edit:
Is this a bug?

I can't colonize a pre-sentient planet because all of the slots are taken by blockers and the species itself and so I can't build a colony there. I have a mining station on them and have an influence post on their star so I don't know what's up...

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 30, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/826004080795451392

What is it? What does it do? gently caress if I know but it looks awesome and I want one.

It's bad and I don't like it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Also... as an immoral xenophobic Empire, I want to be able to use biological weapons that auto-purge galaxy.
There's an old space game, Warpath or something like that, where you could buy plague bombs and throw them at planets (enemy, neutral or even your own if you wanted to), and if a ship landed on the planet the plague spread to the ship and then on to other planets. The AI was too dumb to use the cure items so it was basically a guaranteed win if you waited for their populations to die off.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Is this a bug?

I can't colonize a pre-sentient planet because all of the slots are taken by blockers and the species itself and so I can't build a colony there. I have a mining station on them and have an influence post on their star so I don't know what's up...
Dunno if it's a bug or not but if you terraform the planet it'll remove all the blockers for you. Oh, and the species won't survive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LogisticEarth posted:

Magic gravity is fine in sci-fi, but poo poo like the 2001 space station and O'Neill Cylinders just look rad though. My favorite station in the game is the little pre-FTL Early Space Age station. All the rest just seem kinda static.
It would probably be too low a return for the graphical work needed but having multiple space habitat types would be baller. Start with your old spire-in-the-middle-of-a-wheel with middling habitability and pops. A later Massive Construction engineering research tech lets you build O'Neill cylinders (big pop good habitability), or researching Artificial Gravity in physics lets you build flat stations like the ones in the screenshots(low pop Gaia world).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Poil posted:

Dunno if it's a bug or not but if you terraform the planet it'll remove all the blockers for you. Oh, and the species won't survive.
I'd have to terraform it away from my preferred world class though, which would be irritating.

I'm pretty sure I'm completely loving stymied here; I can't colonize the blocked tiles for some reason (I have unlocked removing all of them) and I don't know any way without the console to kill one of them. (I don't think they count as a real pop and so I don't think I can invade them; I'm pacifist anyway so I'm not allowed to I think...)

I can't build an observation post on them either so the planet just sits there, taunting me. I just wanted to make a buncha territorial bears for the hell of it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I'd have to terraform it away from my preferred world class though, which would be irritating.

I'm pretty sure I'm completely loving stymied here; I can't colonize the blocked tiles for some reason (I have unlocked removing all of them) and I don't know any way without the console to kill one of them. (I don't think they count as a real pop and so I don't think I can invade them; I'm pacifist anyway so I'm not allowed to I think...)

I can't build an observation post on them either so the planet just sits there, taunting me. I just wanted to make a buncha territorial bears for the hell of it.
Uplift them through contacts menu?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Uplift them through contacts menu?
What, this?

Can't do it here...

Can't clear the blocker...

Can't build on them...

And can't colonize the tiles they're on

edit: i just noticed that the reptilians have infiltrated that there, I never look at that screen normally

lets see their traits...

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2017

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756110740&searchtext=gods

This may be right up your ally.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ok, it seems that since 1.4 patch you first have to colonize the planet to uplift them, I didn't know about that change. I guess you are out of options, you cannot enlighten them, because they are pre-sentient and you cannot invade them, because you are pacifist. Maybe wait for gaia world terraforming tech, but that is costly and takes a loooong time.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Purge from orbit, AKA, terraform

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

As others have said, spin based designs just look cooler, and that's the biggest reason the (really neat) designs we're getting aren't exactly what I was hoping for.

But if I may quibble, just a tiny bit, even if you've got magic artificial gravity are we going to assume it takes essentially no energy to maintain? Maybe that's fine for a ship that already has a huge engine producing lots of power, and is presumably designed so that the power going out isn't a huge deal, but a massive planet-equivalent space habitat is on an entirely different scale, with different considerations.

So even if you have artificial gravity, is it really cheaper and more effective than just spinning a drat cylinder or ring?

Since this is the Banks update, The Culture had artificial gravity in their ships, as well as all the magical technology you could imagine*, but they still had giant rings with spin gravity for their huge planet-equivalent orbital habitats.

*Their force manipulation technology made it so that you could have a bubble of atmosphere around the "ship," and people could fly around out there or sit on a deck with nothing between them and space... except the real hull which was an invisible force field. All this gravity and field manipulation done by the sentient ship essentially to entertain its humans. I mention this because you can just go, "magic technology, who cares, it works," or you can go, "magic technology? let's take this poo poo to the most absurd logical conclusions!" and I appreciate Ian M Banks for the latter.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Ok, it seems that since 1.4 patch you first have to colonize the planet to uplift them, I didn't know about that change. I guess you are out of options, you cannot enlighten them, because they are pre-sentient and you cannot invade them, because you are pacifist. Maybe wait for gaia world terraforming tech, but that is costly and takes a loooong time.
Does Gaia not kill them like the others? I mean, I could just do an inferior one, I'm adaptable and just building the pacifist garden and a frontier hospital gets me in the range where it doesn't matter but I want loyal vassals that I can actually feed a bit or at least use as cuddly shock troops.

The other ones are in one of the OPMs I 'liberated' way back when and conservative to boot. Was hoping for either irradiated or starborn but I guess I'll keep looking...

Btw, why does it show me with "equivalent" fleet strength both with the guys with 4 planets and the ones with 12? Why is there no real way to get an exact number???

Bholder posted:

Purge from orbit, AKA, terraform
It's just a size 12 planet, it was the Koalas I was after.

Also terraformin is stupidly expensive and time consuming, even small ones.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Does Gaia not kill them like the others?
I think it kills them.

Reveilled posted:

Eh, FTL-engines have some in-game explanations. Maybe add pre-researched tech called velcro shoe soles, because moving around with chemical thrusters and meanwhile employing artificial gravity on your ships seems strange.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

Yeah, that's another issue with it, planets fill up quickly and are full forever.

I know this post is from like 20 pages ago, but I was catching up on the thread and this reminded me of something I found weird with the game ever since release - why don't pops die of old age? It would add a natural churning of pops to your planets (so you'd see more diversity in species even one your oldest planets), and it would make the various age traits more meaningful, since they would apply to all pops rather than just leaders. It might be annoying to lose production in a tile when a pop dies, sure, but maybe the game could handle that by having new pops grow outside the planetary grid, and if someone dies while they're still growing, they will move to that tile to replace them (if they finish growing before anyone dies, they'd just occupy a new tile).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know this post is from like 20 pages ago, but I was catching up on the thread and this reminded me of something I found weird with the game ever since release - why don't pops die of old age? It would add a natural churning of pops to your planets (so you'd see more diversity in species even one your oldest planets), and it would make the various age traits more meaningful, since they would apply to all pops rather than just leaders. It might be annoying to lose production in a tile when a pop dies, sure, but maybe the game could handle that by having new pops grow outside the planetary grid, and if someone dies while they're still growing, they will move to that tile to replace them (if they finish growing before anyone dies, they'd just occupy a new tile).

You realise pops aren't supposed to represent individual people, right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A pop represents a few hundred million people.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

A pop represents a few hundred million people.

That's why it takes 30 months to produce a robot pop - it's a lot of robots.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes I understand that pops don't literally mean "one guy", but population demographics change over time and using species lifespan to represent that makes perfect sense.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes I understand that pops don't literally mean "one guy", but population demographics change over time and using species lifespan to represent that makes perfect sense.

It makes absolutely no sense for your population to suddenly fall because a hundred million people all died of old age at the same time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It makes absolutely no sense for your population to suddenly fall because a hundred million people all died of old age at the same time.

*cities skylines*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A better way to get species to slowly even out across planets (which I agree would be neat) would probably be to allow pop migration to sometimes swap two pops between planets.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why not just allow species to slwoly cross breed and create new species? Watch in real time as you new half horse/half stegosaurus race comes onto the scene. After 200-300 years of gameplay you'll have a whole galaxy full of nightmares running around.

How would that work in real life? Who knows but it sure would tie in nicely to any future eugenics DLC Wiz has planned.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why not just allow species to slwoly cross breed and create new species? Watch in real time as you new half horse/half stegosaurus race comes onto the scene. After 200-300 years of gameplay you'll have a whole galaxy full of nightmares running around.

How would that work in real life? Who knows but it sure would tie in nicely to any future eugenics DLC Wiz has planned.

It would probably work like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6ST0HL6U

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's an abstraction. They aren't literally all dying at the same time just like they aren't literally all working in one giant factory.

I suppose what you could do is have it so that when a new pop is "born", it can occasionally replace an existing pop rather than occupying a new tile. I feel like this still wouldn't really capture the difference that longer/shorter lifespans would have on planetary populations. Long lived species with high birth rates would naturally overtake shorter lived ones with low birth rates.

Hell this would be a legitimately interesting problem to have to deal with, especially with the new population control mechanics in 1.5 - what happens if a naturally more resilient species starts to supplant your "native" population?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hybrids would be cool too but I'm not really sure how it would work with the overall population laws added in 1.5 - they would end up being kind of pointless if you have so many different species variations in your empire that every single pop is effectively its own species.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

so many different species variations in your empire that every single pop is effectively its own species.
Sounds like individualist Ascension goal. Or xenophilic.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Looking at the new habitable stations makes me think that the planets don't seem very impressive in comparison. Star systems feel small in comparison to the fleets and other objects present. Maybe the devs should think about re-scaling the game assets for a greater sense of grandeur.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mukip posted:

Looking at the new habitable stations makes me think that the planets don't seem very impressive in comparison. Star systems feel small in comparison to the fleets and other objects present. Maybe the devs should think about re-scaling the game assets for a greater sense of grandeur.

I assume the scale is so your shooty ship battles are viewable from the system without having to zoom in a lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Replace ship and planet graphics to be correctly scaled, add COUNTERS to help players see where their units are :)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, what's an ascension goal?
Is that a real in-game thing?

Because my game has reached the point where all I can really do is take some chunks out of the massive radical purifier empire every decade or so. Which isn't exactly a win-con.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, what's an ascension goal?
Is that a real in-game thing?

Because my game has reached the point where all I can really do is take some chunks out of the massive radical purifier empire every decade or so. Which isn't exactly a win-con.

Its a thing in the next DLC

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Replace ship and planet graphics to be correctly scaled, add COUNTERS to help players see where their units are :)

Correctly scaled? Huh, OK but only if they add an auto-zoom function for automatic zooms to everything you want to look at. Otherwise your hands would probably fall off from all that zooming and scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Not sure I was realistic scale per se, but if a bunch of ships are next a planet then it's the planet that should look big.

• Locked thread