Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Guys, it's like you've never heard of a Day 1 patch before. I bet that clip was full of bugs that passed certification because they can be patched out in between when it went gold and when release day is. Not that I think it absolves that mess, but I feel like it's within acceptable levels of jank for a game that hasn't come out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they record all the dialogue last week and got hit hard by the voice actors' strike

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Oh, hi Brom"

If this game is like The Room then I guess we can expect gratuitous nude shots of men's asses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did he just walk out of the shot and we were supposed to assume he jumped off the cliff because of the instant cut to a lack of reaction on the other two characters' part

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LawfulWaffle posted:

Guys, it's like you've never heard of a Day 1 patch before. I bet that clip was full of bugs that passed certification because they can be patched out in between when it went gold and when release day is. Not that I think it absolves that mess, but I feel like it's within acceptable levels of jank for a game that hasn't come out yet.

"The Day 1 patch will fix everything" -- a winning affirmation of gamers everywhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

The animation and backgrounds, maybe. The voice acting and script can't be fixed by a patch.

Regardless, I'm going to wait for someone to post impressions of the game as a whole, because I'm not going to miss out on robot dinosaur hunting if that turns out to be a minor sidequest or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

Technical issues have nothing to do with poor animation quality, overall direction, vocal performance, or just plain bad writing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

"The Day 1 patch will fix everything" -- a winning affirmation of gamers everywhere.

Followed quickly by "why not just release a working game instead of a huge Day 1 patch?!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wasn't even paying attention to the jank - I was too busy being appalled by the garbage voice acting that sounded like it came out of RE1.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

TaurusOxford posted:

I wasn't even paying attention to the jank - I was too busy being appalled by the garbage voice acting that sounded like it came out of RE1.

No Jill sandwich no deal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also that chintzy background music that sounds like it's from a direct-to-video Christian movie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping it's some kind of goof or something because they brought in the lead writer behind Fallout: NV to do this game, and if that's the best he could come up with then..yeesh.

Just because they're there doesn't mean they got to do as they pleased. They might be stuck working under a fistful of memos from the producers and the Director while eyeing that bottle of whiskey in the bottom drawer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
what the gently caress did I just watch

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Regardless of the jank, the acting and writing are cringeworthy and it doesn't bode well even if it's a side story. If the only thing we can expect from this game at this point is a bland ubisoft-style open-world with scenes like this one, I'll pass.

Almost unrelated but Yakuza 0 is sooo good, it's my first Yakuza and it's definitely one of the best games I've played on the PS4. First time I've bought a game full-price in almost ten years, too. Thanks goons for getting me interested in the series!

So yeah

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Never played the previous ones but looking at a few reviews 0 is apparently a solid intro to the series. Would you two agree with that?

Just buy it NOW! if you enjoy Japanese weirdness and humor even a little bit you're in for an amazing ride regardless of having played the previous entries.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ubisoft made it work by having everyone scream in a fake language while drums were beating in the background. Also you could ride a bear. If you can't ride a robot bear in this, it is probably not worth it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ubisoft made it work by having everyone scream in a fake language while drums were beating in the background. Also you could ride a bear. If you can't ride a robot bear in this, it is probably not worth it

They made it work partly because they did get some linguists to make some sort of PIE derivative, so it's recognizable enough to pass the test.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Regardless of the jank, the acting and writing are cringeworthy and it doesn't bode well even if it's a side story. If the only thing we can expect from this game at this point is a bland ubisoft-style open-world with scenes like this one, I'll pass.

Almost unrelated but Yakuza 0 is sooo good, it's my first Yakuza and it's definitely one of the best games I've played on the PS4. First time I've bought a game full-price in almost ten years, too. Thanks goons for getting me interested in the series!

So yeah

Just buy it NOW! if you enjoy Japanese weirdness and humor even a little bit you're in for an amazing ride regardless of having played the previous entries.

If you want to show people how to properly use railings, shut car doors, boil water, or dispose of syringes...Yakuza 0 is for you

Also of you want to goof off slot car racing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Every time I see Horizon I get less excited for it. Then I saw the gameplay with a ubitsoft iconsalad map and im just...unless it has great reviews Im going to skip. I feel like it was a more direct experience until it got popular from awesome trailers and got AAAified.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"CAN'T you SEE I NEED time to THINK?" is going to be in my head for the rest of the day, thanks thread

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bombadilillo posted:

Every time I see Horizon I get less excited for it. Then I saw the gameplay with a ubitsoft iconsalad map and im just...unless it has great reviews Im going to skip. I feel like it was a more direct experience until it got popular from awesome trailers and got AAAified.

Nah it was always like this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Everybody betray me! I'm fed up with this wuruld

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

No, goddammit! I was rooting for them! We were all rooting for them!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it was always like this.

It was probably the cinematic nature of the original reveal and hudless running around I saw. When they added markers everywhere it went from something I HAD to experience the awe and wonder of to something I guess I'll checkout if the gameplay is something special.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Total shock that the team behind the legendary "killzone" series couldn't deliver good dialogue.

Good thing a million other good games came out.

Still can't understand why Sony keep pushing Guerrilla as a flagship studio

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Half the problem is the atrocious voice acting, the other is the stilted body and facial animation using zero motion capture. You can tell the head and mouth movements are done by some intern in a basement clicking and dragging body parts with a mouth cursor.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The real crime is that the good Guerrilla Games team got shuttered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half the problem is the atrocious voice acting, the other is the stilted body and facial animation using zero motion capture. You can tell the head and mouth movements are done by some intern in a basement clicking and dragging body parts with a mouth cursor.

The second woman who enters the scene has a "who farted" sneer on her face for a good chunk of the video.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't this the engine that Death Stranding will be using?

Then again, if you look at the research and effort that got put into every graphical/mechanical element of MGSV, I am sure that KojiPro would work wonders no matter what the software

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't this the engine that Death Stranding will be using?

Then again, if you look at the research and effort that got put into every graphical/mechanical element of MGSV, I am sure that KojiPro would work wonders no matter what the software

The engine is fine, the clear lack of effort in how they used it is where the developers are failing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm watching a Horizon video on gameriot and the other dialogue is not nearly as cringey as that suicidal guy. Not good, but passable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

Seriously though how many first party games from Sony have added up to disappointment at this point?

They've got Uncharted 4 as a solid release and what else?

Lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any reliable source to check the incoming PS Plus? It's the 30th of January and can only find blogs trying to guess the games for February.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

I'm watching a Horizon video on gameriot and the other dialogue is not nearly as cringey as that suicidal guy. Not good, but passable.

The game is probably gonna be fun but have a dumb story and jank poo poo here and there. oh well, that's like all videos games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guillermus posted:

Is there any reliable source to check the incoming PS Plus? It's the 30th of January and can only find blogs trying to guess the games for February.

Reliable source is Playstation itself. Everyone else is just rebroadcasting them. It may be February tomorrow but the freebies won't be out till the 7th so there's still lots of time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, that 3 minutes of what's probably a 20+ hour game is representative of it all. It's gonna be garbage crap from a garbage crap developer. I don't know where you are from but we're capable of extrapolating all that information from the slightest details.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I wish they were still making Killzone, I liked those games.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Gonna buy a PS4 Pro this week. Are there deals better than the standard $399 I'm seeing around the web and local shops? Gamestop used/refurb still sucks? Top game recommendations so I don't have to read thousands of posts?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Nah, that 3 minutes of what's probably a 20+ hour game is representative of it all. It's gonna be garbage crap from a garbage crap developer. I don't know where you are from but we're capable of extrapolating all that information from the slightest details.

General facial and body movements done by manually dragging object instead of mocap is not a good sign in the slightest for a big-budget game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's a legitimate question?

Gravity Rush 2 is good I guess. That's 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

They've got Uncharted 4 as a solid release and what else?

Bloodborne?
Until Dawn?
Last Guardian?

????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Since Knack has already been mentioned, don't forget about Resogun