Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrNemo posted:

Likewise if he ordered FBI agents to begin conducting financial audits of all citizens they come into contact with it would be (I believe, happy to be corrected) illegal in conducting audits would be outside the scope of the agencies powers. I think that would might be ok if the EO also made all FBI agents also IRS agents and then ordered them to do that (within the legally defined scope of the IRS's powers).

Does the IRS really have the power to do arbitrary financial audits outside of a tax case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

https://twitter.com/RoguePOTUSStaff/status/826064440898502658
SCOTUS is the place for spite.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/826063267760046080

This is normally a pretty good fake account, but I don't understand who the spite is supposed to be aimed at here.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 30, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Number Ten Cocks posted:

This is normally a pretty good fake account, but I don't understand who the spite is supposed to be aimed at here.

Remember the president is a pathological narcissist. If his sister had recently convinced him that Hardiman was his idea and the bestest, most conservatist choice, then any disagreement from Bannon would be considered a challenge to his authority and rejected.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Number Ten Cocks posted:

According to the twitter's narrative, Trump is a tug of war between Pence/Ryan/Priebus ("the unholy trinity") and Bannon. Apparently he gets upset being told that he can or cannot do certain actions legally by the unholy trinity. It seems like when they're on the verge of possibly convincing him to do something relatively sane (by the standards since the 20th), Bannon re-asserts his dominance.

So Pence/Ryan/Priebus is who he would be spiting with his SCOTUS choice.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It seems like Bannon should prefer Gorsuch, though. I think that's were this tweet goes astray.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cheesus posted:

According to the twitter's narrative, Trump is a tug of war between Pence/Ryan/Priebus ("the unholy trinity") and Bannon. Apparently he gets upset being told that he can or cannot do certain actions legally by the unholy trinity. It seems like when they're on the verge of possibly convincing him to do something relatively sane (by the standards since the 20th), Bannon re-asserts his dominance.

So Pence/Ryan/Priebus is who he would be spiting with his SCOTUS choice.

Odd that there's no mention of Kushner in all this.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Evil Fluffy posted:

Odd that there's no mention of Kushner in all this.
Apparently he's been tasked with other work:
https://twitter.com/RoguePOTUSStaff/status/824985494480117760

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You should probably stop acting like unverified twitter accounts that pander to your biases and claim to reveal the inner workings of executive staff decision making are anything but noise.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
As I said in the other thread: a group of staff members in the white house that had started calling themselves "the resistance" and were talking about the president being "a tyrant" that needs to be "resisted" would get about 5 minutes of secretly spying on the president's conversations through a locked door before they had a secret service shotgun pushed against their skull and a lockdown of the entire whitehouse.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As I said in the other thread: a group of staff members in the white house that had started calling themselves "the resistance" and were talking about the president being "a tyrant" that needs to be "resisted" would get about 5 minutes of secretly spying on the president's conversations through a locked door before they had a secret service shotgun pushed against their skull and a lockdown of the entire whitehouse.

I still think it's Toby Ziegler.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-democrats-filibuster-supreme-court-pick-234368

quote:

Senate Dems will filibuster Trump’s Supreme Court nominee
It will be only the second time in modern history that the Senate has mounted a filibuster against a nominee.
By BURGESS EVERETT 01/30/17 12:05 PM EST Updated 01/30/17 12:38 PM EST
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Senate Democrats are going to try to bring down Donald Trump's Supreme Court pick no matter who the president chooses to fill the current vacancy.

With Trump prepared to announce his nominee on Tuesday evening, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) said in an interview on Monday morning that he will filibuster any pick that is not Merrick Garland and that the vast majority of his caucus will oppose Trump’s nomination. That means Trump's nominee will need 60 votes to be confirmed by the Senate.

“This is a stolen seat. This is the first time a Senate majority has stolen a seat,” Merkley said in an interview. “We will use every lever in our power to stop this.”

It’s a move that will prompt a massive partisan battle over Trump’s nominee and could lead to an unraveling of the Senate rules if Merkley is able to get 41 Democrats to join him in a filibuster. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) also reminded her Twitter followers on Sunday night that Supreme Court nominees can still be blocked by the Senate minority, unlike all other executive and judicial nominees.

Any senator can object to swift approval of a nominee and require a supermajority. Asked directly whether he would do that, Merkley replied: “I will definitely object to a simple majority” vote.

Trump signs executive order requiring that for every one new regulation, two must be revoked
Trump signs executive order requiring that for every one new regulation, two must be revoked
By NOLAN D. MCCASKILL and MATTHEW NUSSBAUM
Merkley's party leader, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, has said he will fight "tooth and nail" any nominee who isn't "mainstream."

It would be only the second time in modern history that the Senate has mounted a filibuster against a nominee. Democrats, including then-Sen. Barack Obama, tried to block the confirmation of Samuel Alito in 2006 but failed. Obama’s Supreme Court nominees each received more than 60 votes, but Republicans did not require a supermajority or the procedural vote that Merkley will demand.

Republicans immediately dinged Merkley as a hypocrite for being a leading advocate of changing the Senate rules four years ago.

"When Democrats were in the majority, Sen. Merkley wanted to end filibusters. But I guess he only meant when Democrats are in the majority and in control of the White House," said Don Stewart, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

The Democratic stance dashes McConnell's hopes to return to the tradition of not filibustering Supreme Court nominees. In an interview with POLITICO on Friday, McConnell said the “practice was that you didn’t do it even though the tool is in the toolbox.”

“There are a lot of tools in there. Until Bush 43, the filibuster tool was always there. But it wasn’t done,” McConnell said. “Two good examples: There was no filibuster against [Robert] Bork and, of course, the most controversial Supreme Court nomination ever was Clarence Thomas. Democrats were in the majority; he was approved 52-48.”

170129-airport-protests-GettyImages-632966166.jpg
HISTORY DEPT.
What History Teaches Us About Trump's Immigration Order
By JOSHUA ZEITZ
But McConnell blocked Garland from even having a hearing for nearly a year during the end of Obama’s presidency, and Democrats have not forgotten his unprecedented blockade. They’ve been lining up party-line votes against some of Trump’s Cabinet nominees — and now, Democrats like Merkley are laying the groundwork to halt the only nominee that they have ultimate leverage over.

“A very large number of my colleagues will be opposed,” Merkley said.

POLITICO has reported the leading contenders for the nomination are Judge Thomas Hardiman of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and Judge Neil Gorsuch of the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. They were confirmed to appeals courts without a dissenting vote, though Democrats are sure to treat them more harshly after Garland's nomination stalled for months.

McConnell is loath to change the rules of the Senate to allow confirmation of Supreme Court nominees by a simple majority but has not said explicitly what he would do if Democrats block Trump’s nominee. The Senate rules can be changed by a simple majority using the so-called "nuclear option" — last invoked by former Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to ease the confirmation of Obama's judicial and executive nominees.

The Kentucky Republican told POLITICO that it’s up to Democrats where the Senate rules go — but also guaranteed Trump’s nominee will be confirmed, an implicit threat that if at least eight Democrats don’t get on board, there could be a unilateral rules change.

“We’re going to get this nominee confirmed. I hope he or she will be confirmed based upon the completely outstanding credentials that we’re going to see,” McConnell said. The nominee "hopefully will be treated the way such a nominee would have been treated as recently as Bush 43.”

Trump has made clear he wants McConnell to go nuclear if Merkley and other liberal Democrats are successful in blocking his high court pick's nomination.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dems will publicly show off their spine before revealing it's a toy prop found in a high school drama department prop room.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I have zero confidence in the ability of the Dems to not gently caress up.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

mcmagic posted:

McConnell is loath to change the rules of the Senate to allow confirmation of Supreme Court nominees by a simple majority

Hahaha, suuuure he is.

Anyway, not that messaging and PR matters anymore, but Democrats probably should've waited until tomorrow to announce the filibuster to avoid looking like complete hypocrites re: refusal to vote on Garland.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just as in the other thread, you weird assertions that a) secret service carries shotguns around openly in the White House and b) that secret service would put a gun to their head rather than just asking them to come with them is just weird.

They're staffers, not terrorists.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The filibuster anyone strategy has to be intended to force the nuclear option. There's no way they expect this seat to be open three years going into the awful 2018 senate electoral map, but think they can't get away with less if they want to maintain base support and money.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is, to be clear, why a portion of Senate Dems were voting for confirmation of Trump's previous, far less offensive appointments- they were keeping their powder dry to maximize coverage of the nuclear option to get someone really odious in. The plan was probably to do it to DeVos. Trump moving so quickly on SCOTUS forced the dems to pull the trigger on this sooner than they'd planned.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Everything rests on the balls of Charles "Chuck" Schumer

Welp

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Discendo Vox posted:

This is, to be clear, why a portion of Senate Dems were voting for confirmation of Trump's previous, far less offensive appointments- they were keeping their powder dry to maximize coverage of the nuclear option to get someone really odious in. The plan was probably to do it to DeVos. Trump moving so quickly on SCOTUS forced the dems to pull the trigger on this sooner than they'd planned.

Agreed. It seems like Trump's pick is essentially going to be Scalia v2.0 and the better move would be to not make it an easy confirmation by any means, but don't set it up for the nuclear option right now. I would think that given there's a decent chance of one of the liberal justices needing replacement in the next 4 years is fairly high, saving the filibuster for that situation, so that invoking the nuclear option is even that more of a Thing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Merkley is going to filibuster the nom no matter who, according to twitter buzz, so that's that i guess.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kloaked00 posted:

Agreed. It seems like Trump's pick is essentially going to be Scalia v2.0 and the better move would be to not make it an easy confirmation by any means, but don't set it up for the nuclear option right now. I would think that given there's a decent chance of one of the liberal justices needing replacement in the next 4 years is fairly high, saving the filibuster for that situation, so that invoking the nuclear option is even that more of a Thing.

gently caress that, republicans refused to confirm Obama's appointment, refuse to confirm Trump's.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have zero confidence in the ability of the Dems to not gently caress up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kloaked00 posted:

The reason they're doing it now is that they can point to the fact that this seat was opened during Obama's term as a source of legitimacy. Notice that they're not saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not moderate", they're saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not Garland". That's not something they can just save for later.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

andrew smash posted:

Merkley is going to filibuster the nom no matter who, according to twitter buzz, so that's that i guess.

He's been very good on SCOTUS.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason they're doing it now is that they can point to the fact that this seat was opened during Obama's term as a source of legitimacy. Notice that they're not saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not moderate", they're saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not Garland". That's not something they can just save for later.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

EwokEntourage posted:

They're staffers, not terrorists.

They aren't staffers or terrorists, they are some teen's fan fiction twitter role play thing.

But do you get how serious a deal it'd be if there was an actual group in the whitehouse calling themselves "the resistance" and talking about the need to "resist" a "tyrant" while spying and leaking private conversations the president was having?

Do you get how big a deal that would be in real life?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

duz posted:

gently caress that, republicans refused to confirm Obama's appointment, refuse to confirm Trump's.

That only works if you have the biggest gun in the room, so to speak.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They aren't staffers or terrorists, they are some teen's fan fiction twitter role play thing.

But do you get how serious a deal it'd be if there was an actual group in the whitehouse calling themselves "the resistance" and talking about the need to "resist" a "tyrant" while spying and leaking private conversations the president was having?

Do you get how big a deal that would be in real life?

Yes that would be serious, but stuff gets leaked out of the White House and every other government all the time.

The secret service still would not be roaming around with shot guns, still would not be putting guns to foreheads and still would not be executing people extrajudicially.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The GOP will use the nuclear option on something dumb like the farm bill, and the media and public won’t care because it’s arcane procedural bullshit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The GOP will use the nuclear option on something dumb like the farm bill, and the media and public won’t care because it’s arcane procedural bullshit.

At least make them do it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Kloaked00 posted:

I would think that given there's a decent chance of one of the liberal justices needing replacement in the next 4 years is fairly high, saving the filibuster for that situation, so that invoking the nuclear option is even that more of a Thing.

The alternative is going with McConnell doctrine and accepting a reasonable Scalia replacement and hoping RBG lasts 3 years. Doing so would likely not be any better and shows an acceptance of Republican bullshit but it may actually be more impactful.

Nah I'm kidding. No one would understand why the Republicans appointing Scalia 2.0 and then filling RBG's vacant seat in December 14th 2020 with Scalia 3.0 was even worse.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Any "strategy" that depends on senate Rs being equitable or reasonable or what the gently caress ever is completely delusional. I'm glad Merkley is willing to go down swinging.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Main Paineframe posted:

All the ships regarding comity on SCOTUS sailed when the Republicans didn't even give a nominee a hearing for a year. It's FYGM now and if you don't get on with the program you'll be played like a chump.

Edit: Remember that before the election the Republicans were falling over themselves to pre-emptively block Clinton's nominees.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Main Paineframe posted:

They're saying both. The sudden short-notice confirmation decision was a strategic move by Trump's people with ties to Congressional Rs that has created a split in Dem messaging on the nomination decision.

The Dems have no ability to ration their procedural ammunition, because they have one shot. They can create something resembling an obstacle to a Trump nominee once. Then the Republicans can change the rules, and the Senate dems have no practical or procedural power on anything.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Re: the fake rogue POTUS staff account.

https://twitter.com/cateia97/status/826166932122509312

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s not exactly a smoking gun.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I don't really believe the account is true, but basing your claim on the idea that Russians mistranslated a slang word and esque is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure a lot of people have written it vakay before, and prolly half of America couldn't tell you how to spell -esque (it also shows up incorrect on iOS and ms word). Esk could be a shortening for char limits as well

Interesting theory, but more likely that if it was Russians, they'd just stay away from words they weren't sure about and write vacation (or google a shorter way to say it)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if English is a second language to the tweeter, so what?

Russian isn’t the only language that would lead to errors like that, and not all native Russian speakers are disinfo agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wow, you SA Russian disinformation guys are a lot less subtle. That sort of performance won't earn you a promotion to Twitter.

:nsa: