Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
It's all very Kantian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

odiv posted:

Thank you. It would be nice if news outlets did the same.

I just have this horrible thought that loving infowars type idiots are going to concoct some conspiracy false-flag nonsense and he will be the lightning rod for their poo poo.

I'd be shocked if they haven't already

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah probably. :(

Maybe I should be super sarcastic and jaded in this thread instead of concerned and that will show everyone how cool I am.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Or maybe just be a little more realistic about information hygiene when all the primary sources the posts are citing still exist and have both names in the headline and URL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

odiv posted:

Yeah probably. :(

Maybe I should be super sarcastic and jaded in this thread instead of concerned and that will show everyone how cool I am.

Welcome to the CanPol thread, we're all not cool here

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

We also have our own special kind of assholes running most radios in the city. FM 93.3 and Radio X all try to imitate trash radio from the US, and they've been known to talk poo poo about this mosque before. They'll probably be a little less overt for the next few days but then they'll latch onto a stupid conspiracy and try to sell it to all the conservative fucks who live in Quebec's suburbs.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Checking out the Freep thread I see that I'm correct and there's already a post there declaring it a false flag. Now that the only suspect is a white guy, "false flag" will become the official narrative in short order.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

Checking out the Freep thread I see that I'm correct and there's already a post there declaring it a false flag. Now that the only suspect is a white guy, "false flag" will become the official narrative in short order.

These people are loving holocaust deniers at this point, same loving mentality.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

There were going to be 'false-flag' theories about this no matter who was arrested or named. Infowars types do this for every mass shooting that isn't by a jihadist.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
To be fair, there's a collection of people out there - of diverse political beliefs - who reject any information that does not agree with their preconceived metanarrative. It seems every terrorist out there has his own legion of apologists and deniers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

David Corbett posted:

To be fair, there's a collection of people out there - of diverse political beliefs - who reject any information that does not agree with their preconceived metanarrative

Why, they're in this very thread!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol I cant wait for racist whites to have "See something, Say Something" get applied onto themselves.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

It's time Canada started looking at Steve bannon, breitbart, info Wars and every right wing YouTube personality with the same level of seriousness and active suppression as they do Abu baker al Baghdadi and online iSIS propagandists.

but what about the freedom of speech :ohdear:

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

They identified some of the victims and my professor is safe, thankfully.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SpacePope posted:

They identified some of the victims and my professor is safe, thankfully.

send your professor a message! let him know you care!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you guys its important tthat we preserve the freedom of speech. the marketplace of ideas will make sure bad ideas never get popular.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

you guys its important tthat we preserve the freedom of speech. the marketplace of ideas will make sure bad ideas never get popular.

It seemed like a good idea at the time... :smith:

It turns out people are just too loving stupid and that's why we can't have nice things.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

David Corbett posted:

To be fair, there's a collection of people out there - of diverse political beliefs - who reject any information that does not agree with their preconceived metanarrative. It seems every terrorist out there has his own legion of apologists and deniers.

Yeah, false flag claims are the ultimate drug for these people. You take an event that by rights should go against your worldview and flip it around so that it actually reinforces it. Attacks by Muslim extremists totally happened, attacks by right wing extremists are all false flags and thus actually perpetrated by liberals (who are allied to those Muslim extremists). Goodbye cognitive dissonance!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah, false flag claims are the ultimate drug for these people. You take an event that by rights should go against your worldview and flip it around so that it actually reinforces it. Attacks by Muslim extremists totally happened, attacks by right wing extremists are all false flags and thus actually perpetrated by liberals (who are allied to those Muslim extremists). Goodbye cognitive dissonance!
Our world is now a farce.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiYVo86j0tA

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

HappyHippo posted:

:qq: / Stop stepping on my world narrative

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/826128670536368129

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Glorious.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

this one, in particular, just drat

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

can we as a country agree that postmedia's owners and management need to be pushed into an open pit with a bulldozer

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

THC posted:

That one gets better.

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah/status/826154509541965825

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

THC posted:

He looks like Frank Reynolds dressed up as the troll king from Always Sunny, drat.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Also interesting is this

https://twitter.com/sdbcraig/status/826119750275186694

that BQ ad was still up yesterday, weird that it's not up now. weird.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A member of a refugee welcome group recognized the shooter as an extreme right wing "troll" who frequented their facebook page:

quote:

François Deschamps, membre du comité Bienvenue aux réfugiés, créé il y a un an lors de l'arrivée massive de Syriens au Canada, a reconnu la photo d'Alexandre Bissonnette publiée par Le Soleil. «J'ai fait le saut quand je l'ai vu», lance-t-il au bout du fil.

«On observe beaucoup ce que font et disent les gens d'extrême droite. Lui, il a tenu des propos identitaires sur notre page Facebook. Il agissait comme un troll. Il s'attaquait aussi aux droits des femmes», se souvient M. Deschamps.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't believing the entire world around you is some massive conspiracy around the time where you should probably getting help for mental illness?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So next time Postmedia lays off a whole bunch of staff I expect we'll all refrain from crying and eulogizing the death of democracy because our noble protectors, the professional press are being vanquished by the free market

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CI posted:

So next time Postmedia lays off a whole bunch of staff I expect we'll all refrain from crying and eulogizing the death of democracy because our noble protectors, the professional press are being vanquished by the free market

The "free market" meaning Paul Godfrey.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Man my french suffered from living in Vancouver until I was 13.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Postmedia would have to first hire such people before they could lay them off.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

Man my french suffered from living in Vancouver until I was 13.

He's saying Alexandre was a troll who liked to cry about "feminazis" and immigrants on some facebook pages. This explains why in his Facebook likes there was a feminist page from Université Laval and then, strangely, lots of right wing politicians like Trump, Le Pen and Bush accompanied by pages against euthanasia, for the death penalty, or anti-immigration.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's very important that we not throw piss and poo poo at Rebel Media reporters like Lauren Southern. They should be treated with the utmost respect!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

Any background on why Postmedia is bad? They seem to own a bunch of papers I follow that seem good, Montreal Gazette for instance.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't agree that Muslims are inhuman scum secretly plotting to overthrow Western values through high birth rates. But I'll defend to the death your right to say it, good sir! It's very important that everyone's ideas be given a fair and open hearing in the public square.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

It's very important that we not throw piss and poo poo at Rebel Media reporters like Lauren Southern. They should be treated with the utmost respect!

Rick Mercer likes to defend Ezra because "journalistic freedom".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TVA's flagship TV announcer, Pierre Bruneau:

quote:

Un acte qui se fait contre une communauté musulmane chez nous, c'est quelque chose qu'on avait pas vu venir. On aurait pu imaginer le contraire, qu'une communauté musulmane, qu'un groupe extrémiste musulman commette un geste, mais que nous, quelqu'un d'une autre communauté attaque les musulmans c'est un terrorisme à l'envers si vous me permettez l'expression.

quote:

An act that goes against a muslim community here, that's something we didn't see coming. We could have imagined the opposite, that a muslim community, an extremist muslim group, might commit an act, but that we, someone from another community attacks muslims, that's reverse terrorism if you'll forgive the term.

https://www.facebook.com/fabye.victor/videos/10154719784662293/?permPage=1