Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/826143035276816384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jfc the Saudis are getting wrecked

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
BARRY SAVE US

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/826147000802476032

BARRY COME BACK PLEASE I'M BEGGING YOU

Actually now he's like the adult that is watching his kids go to college and puke all over a police car on a bender, but he still loves us afterall.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wonder if it was an anti-tank missile that hit something explosive.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wait so that was Yemen firing at a Saudi ship?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

"The people that are being temporarily inconvenienced know that this is for the safety for all other Americans"

:cripes:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait so that was Yemen firing at a Saudi ship?

Yes, the rebels that saudi has been bombing for months now

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/826145578291720194

wow bold move

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JProskowGlobal/status/826139917310889984

the shooter was a white french-canadian (so probably catholic)

GJ racist shithead

edit:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/826145409345191936

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 30, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Better build that Canada wall

Oh wait he targeted Muslims, carry on

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.clearinghouse.net/results.php?searchSpecialCollection=44

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Trump is taking time out from signing destabilizing EO's to call out senator chuck Schumer over his tears about the travel ban.

All-around class act, this guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yes, the rebels that saudi has been bombing for months now

We're helping out now as well since the raid that Spicer was praising didn't actually kill any Al Queda operatives.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

and canada is selling KSA LAV 3's as well :thumbsup:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Sure am glad I'm living in Germany now for the coming civil war. It'll make it especially easy to get here as a refugee!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Summer GiP project: build a fleet of killdozers

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I wish someone would take Nigel Farage's social media access away. He just posted on FB that "if you're against Trump's travel suspension, then you're against democracy".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I wish someone would take Nigel Farage's social media access away. He just posted on FB that "if you're against Trump's travel suspension, then you're against democracy".

He's literally paid by Fox News now, in case you didn't know.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish Farage had died in that plane crash.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

But as all those pointing out how we can't let the populations of New York and California decide for the rest of the country will tell you, we aren't a democracy! We're a Republic!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Japanese internment was only a temporary inconvenience as well, when you think about it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish Farage had died

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AndreaWoo/status/826145871511351297

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jesus Christ

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
All the while, the White House and Spicer are basically using holocaust denier talking points for their hosed up holocaust remembrance day announcement that didn't say 'jews' anywhere.

They can never admit fault, so they doubled-down, pulled an ALL LIVES MATTER, and currently are stuck on denialist talking points.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yo I tend to follow a 'if it's true, then what happens' sort of policy so I'm hoping someone can fill me in here.
That medium article makes this claim:

(6) Finally, I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.
Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions. The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

Extraordinary claims, extraordinary proof.

But let's assume this is true.

Is this high crimes and misdemeanours?
I think this needs to get on the desks of some serious investigative journalists if there are any left and passed to whoever is your direct representative. If it's true, the consequences are beyond dire.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: Katrina Pierson is back! :siren:

https://twitter.com/jacobkornbluh/status/826154927584051200

Edit: Spicer is getting memed again https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/826159217723711488

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fister Roboto posted:

The Japanese internment was only a temporary inconvenience as well, when you think about it.

Sorry, you're not allowed to claim the internment was bad because Earl Warren, (later) a liberal Supreme Court justice, authorized it.

Two Finger posted:

Yo I tend to follow a 'if it's true, then what happens' sort of policy so I'm hoping someone can fill me in here.
That medium article makes this claim:

(6) Finally, I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.
Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump [the broker's fee on the sale of] 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions. The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

Extraordinary claims, extraordinary proof.

But let's assume this is true.

Is this high crimes and misdemeanours?
I think this needs to get on the desks of some serious investigative journalists if there are any left and passed to whoever is your direct representative. If it's true, the consequences are beyond dire.

Extraordinary claim/extraordinary proof indeed. This is at jet fuel can't melt steel beams levels of proof right now.
Yes, should get to some investigative journalists. No, not ready to go to anyone else yet.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 30, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do ships still have armour? I would think that a ship would be better protected than an MBT, if only just because of how compartmentalized they are.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Navy stuff.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the ship is probably made out of metal, so I guess that counts for armor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Frosted Flake posted:

Do ships still have armour? I would think that a ship would be better protected than an MBT, if only just because of how compartmentalized they are.

ships are protected by armour yes

the way modern torpedos work is they force the ship to break it's own back (so to speak)

ships are obviously supported by water which acts at every point it is in contact with the ship's hull to create a uniform lifting force

a torpedo goes off and vaporizes let's say 40% of that water, whatever part of the ship was in contact with that water will try to fall into the hole created while the rest tries to hold it up

if the force is severe enough, the ship literally breaks her own back and snaps in half

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Frosted Flake posted:

Ships have armor but nothing like they used to. After the Falklands and other incidents with heavily armored ships getting wrecked by missiles, naval design doctrine has come to rely upon CIWS to defend against missiles since even the thickest armor can only do so much. Better to spend that money on better CIWS than on 32" armor belts.

Torps and gunfire are still threats, but you supplement that protection with ASW assets and having anti-ship missiles of your own to prevent other ships and subs from getting into range.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It isn't feasible to slap enough armor on a ship to protect it from a modern antiship missile or torpedo. There's measures of hardening around critical components and various degrees of compartmentalization and damage control systems but ships today rely on not getting hit in the first place.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've heard that the belt armor of an Iowa-class could stop a Harpoon, but a lot of modern anti-ship missiles are designed to go through the deck so :shrug:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget gents- Bannon didn't just kick the CJCS and DNI off the principles committee he sent DOE and the UN Ambassador off the NSC entirely. Despite their statutory membership.

If you don't get why the DOE would be on the NSC to begin with let me remind you: They're the ones that own all things nuclear. From weapons design to production and anti proliferation efforts etc. The ambassador to the U.N.'s role is obvious but Rick Perry and the DOE probably didn't raise a ton of eyebrows though it should. It really really should.

I personally think the Muslim ban EO was meant to smoke screen the fuckery going on with the NSC.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Hobo posted:

Bannon used to be CEO of a World of Warcraft gold-farming company. So he at least has prior experience at intentionally wrecking economies.

I gotta get a link for this.

Link please?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just listened to a special episode of The Weeds podcast and their special guest (Dara Lind) cited a source that told her last Tuesday that "No one will care about this ban because of the specific countries proscribed in the coming EO."

So yeah, it was drafted in a nonchalant way despite its gigantic policy implications, only given the briefiest of clearances by stake-holders, and then implemented in the most confusing and incompetent way imaginable. 1451 days to go in Trump's first term.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/sources-report-trump-executive-order-lgbtq-community-coming-soon/

Mike Pence gets his turn at the executive order drafting table.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Burt posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38795998

I wonder just what will Donald do if he is refused a state visit?

it only affects one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gently caress :(

• Locked thread