Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I heard the cops started shooting people after Ted Wheeler left :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?
It's actually a divide between the Pacific Northwest and Santago.

And for the record, as a Portland citizen, I love Seattle. People who are considering moving to the PNW should definitely live there. I can't recommend it enough.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

anthonypants posted:

And for the record, as a Portland citizen, I love Seattle. People who are considering moving to the PNW should definitely live there. I can't recommend it enough.

As a Seattle (area) guy, same to you. Some of my favorite memories are from trips to Portland. Lovely city.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Bookmarked

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah aside from the traffic I think Seattle is pretty great.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I'm anti oregon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Shoutout to Spokane https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/825918650657828864

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It would be interesting if the public narrative became that the GOP needs to disown the administration or they're complicit in Nazi-ism.

Of course I think the corporate media would fight that narrative but it would be interesting if that's how things played out. Delusional as it probably is.

Oh well, we can start by making Republican an embarrassment in the PNW, drop the party or drop your position, GOP.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yep. That's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

So, this morning, I was harassing Mexicans... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1420365871338909&id=100000965284930&pnref=story

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I love when PDX carpet makes an appearance. I think it makes for a nice backdrop to knocked out nazis.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DevNull posted:

I love when PDX carpet makes an appearance. I think it makes for a nice backdrop to knocked out nazis.

That's how I knew the photo was real, at first I assumed someone was just claiming poo poo on Twitter, but nobody's laying down on that carpet unless they're not physically able to lift themselves off of it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thaddius the Large posted:

That's how I knew the photo was real, at first I assumed someone was just claiming poo poo on Twitter, but nobody's laying down on that carpet unless they're not physically able to lift themselves off of it.

Truth

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jack2142 posted:

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?

We did, glowing fish can have his thread if he wants.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Please don't tell any more white people how nice Seattle is.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...t2box_targeted_

And charged with sexual abuse. Dont have sex with 17 year olds, folks, especially if you're in the public eye, but really, unless you're also 17, just don't at all.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0INfyfJSek&hd=1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/portland_activist_accused_of_s.html

And charged with sexual abuse. Dont have sex with 17 year olds, folks, especially if you're in the public eye, but really, unless you're also 17, just don't at all.
god loving damnit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

xrunner posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...t2box_targeted_

Oregon doesn't have a Romeo & Juliet law? :psyduck:

edit: I guess they do, and it's 3 years. Still, he wouldn't have been charged with anything in WA state for doing the exact same thing.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2017

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

god loving damnit

Hey. It's a great way to blanket discredit protest in the local media for something that wouldn't have been illegal if they'd met up in Vancouver instead of Troutdale. Sex with a minor is a pretty huge black mark to paint somebody with, to the extent that it makes me uncomfortable to even sharing that I think that a 21yo and 17 yo is a pretty different situation than a 25yo and a 17yo.

seiferguy posted:

Oregon doesn't have a Romeo & Juliet law? :psyduck:

They do but I think it's three years and it looks like these two had a four year gap.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Looks like he was 22 hooking up with a 17-year-old. What blows my mind is "sodomy charges" in TYOOL 2017.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This is why you must never thirst if you're an activist.

Volcel Volunteerism

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
My friends, the long national nightmare of two separate-but-equal Pacific Northwest D&D threads is finally over.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

UW "Wall Building Coalition" resistance report: a skinhead who doxxed people on j20 got chased off at the most tense point, and he was basically the only person to show up. After that, we protested in front of the administration building because UW Pres. Cauce has been super lovely about addressing the fact that a school shooting happened. know the medic who saved the comrade's life by putting immediate pressure on the gunshot wound, it still messes with him to walk through Red Square and no counselling services or any administrative support has been offered to anyone. To make matters worse, her office received threats that people would get doxxed for being at the counterprotest, and didn't say anything about it. We only learned about it because it was leaked out of her office indirectly.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Mr. Lobe posted:

UW "Wall Building Coalition" resistance report: a skinhead who doxxed people on j20 got chased off at the most tense point, and he was basically the only person to show up.

Not only was he alone in showing up, but he denied being a nazi/Trump supporter. I was there with a small group that had some plans to disrupt any wall builders, and we ended up just hanging out instead. We got some contacts with the people from the antifa group, so hopefully we can all be more organized in loving up nazi plans in the future.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DevNull posted:

Not only was he alone in showing up, but he denied being a nazi/Trump supporter. I was there with a small group that had some plans to disrupt any wall builders, and we ended up just hanging out instead. We got some contacts with the people from the antifa group, so hopefully we can all be more organized in loving up nazi plans in the future.

:ussr::respek::anarchists:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Washington's suing over the travel ban https://apnews.com/ddb53cbedf694c8c94c2df7c9fa2ecdb/Washington-state-suing-Trump-over-immigration-order

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There was a truck with Washington plates circling a protest earlier today https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/826174860267184128
Apparently they were pointing "displaying" a fake gun but also had a real gun elsewhere in the truck https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=27896

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bob Ferguson is a cool dude. In his time as WA's AG, he's gone after Comcast for their predatory practices, targeted apartments that discriminate against minorities, and now this. I really hope he aims for a higher office after his term.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

You were at the rally too? I had to man a table but it was interesting how the people started marching without waiting for the organizers to tell them to march or whatever. I admire their initiative and consider it rather poor planning on the part of the organizers to have overloaded the event with too much talking and not enough demonstration.
Keep an eye when this happens, at who is in the lead. There were a few folks at the rally in Eugene hat I'd call "professional protestors" (lol) who showed up with custom and battle-scarred 5gallon bucket drums and they kind of used those drums to co-opt the more easily bored/distracted folks into following them directly up the middle of a one way street during sunday lunch traffic. At first I was like "well at least some folks are here and organized and know what they're doing" but they were also the ones who showed up with a bandana over their face, rather than using one to block pepper spray when things get ugly. They marched directly down willamette past the bus station and picked up a lot of homeless kids and poo poo, who ended up in the vanguard and choosing their route pretty much randomly while a bunch of oldsters (like, there's a video of a man who's 85+ year-old man who almost got hit by the dude whose tired got deflated when he tried to force his way through the crowd) blindly followed along since they had no idea who was in charge or what the announcement and plan had been.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 1, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/826571433354555394

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Can they say classified stuff over skype?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

got any sevens posted:

I'm under the impression they can do whatever they want.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Keep an eye when this happens, at who is in the lead. There were a few folks at the rally in Eugene hat I'd call "professional protestors" (lol) who showed up with custom and battle-scarred 5gallon bucket drums and they kind of used those drums to co-opt the more easily bored/distracted folks into following them directly up the middle of a one way street during sunday lunch traffic. At first I was like "well at least some folks are here and organized and know what they're doing" but they were also the ones who showed up with a bandana over their face, rather than using one to block pepper spray when things get ugly. They marched directly down willamette past the bus station and picked up a lot of homeless kids and poo poo, who ended up in the vanguard and choosing their route pretty much randomly while a bunch of oldsters (like, there's a video of a man who's 85+ year-old man who almost got hit by the dude whose tired got deflated when he tried to force his way through the crowd) blindly followed along since they had no idea who was in charge or what the announcement and plan had been.

This exact same thing happened at the Seattle immigrant protest on Sunday, but I blame the organizers for making everyone stand around for two hours listening to a garbage PA. Use it or lose it, guys.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

got any sevens posted:

Press briefing room, so any discussion of classified material will be discussion of already public information, so putting it on Skype isn't the issue.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

There is a Portland city council meeting on Thursday to vote on a emergency measure for mandatory relocation assistance for those who are no cause evicted or have their rent increased by 10%. It requires all 5 council members to vote yes. As someone who have been no-caused evicted and just had a family member receive a notice for a no-caused, anyone who is an ally should call-in.

The measure looks likely to go through but with an amendment to exclude small landlords (3 units or less). Fritz is likely to propose the amendment. There is a question if both conditions are legal.

The measure sunsets in October but we are hopeful that no-cause evictions will be banned statewide by then. More info below and a link to a facebook event.

quote:

Portland City Council is considering historic renter protections this Thursday. When a tenant receives a no-cause eviction or a rent increase of 10% or more, resulting in an involuntary displacement, the landlord will pay a relocation stipend approximately equal to 3 months' rent:

$2900 for a studio or SRO,
$3300 for a one-bedroom,
$4200 for a two-bedroom,
$4500 for anything larger.

Call your commissioners and ask them to vote YES on this important ordinance, as is, without amendments.

Amanda Fritz

Dan Saltzman

Nick Fish

OF EQUAL IMPORTANCE: At 1pm, this Thursday the 2nd, there is a rally in support of the ordinance in front of Portland City Hall followed by a public hearing and WE NEED YOU TO PACK CITY HALL! The hearing starts at 2pm and is expected to go til 6pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/400969013590442/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Wouldn't it be more impactful to end no-cause evictions all together? Or are there legit reasons to keep it?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wouldn't it be more impactful to end no-cause evictions all together? Or are there legit reasons to keep it?

As I understand it, thats the plan, this is just a literal bandaid to keep people in their homes until that happens (or not)

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is a stopgap.

There is a state wide ban on rent control so the city council can't enact a ban. We hope requiring a relocation fee will not be deemed rent control by the courts.

There are a couple of different bills in the state legislator on lifting the statewide ban on rent control and banning no-cause evictions state wide. However, every week there are entire apartment communities getting no-cause evicted or having their rent raised by 50%+. The state legislator moves slow, has a lot of landlords, is more difficult to hold accountable, and is getting a ton of money from landlords. It will be a much bigger and longer fight.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Freakazoid_ posted:

Democrats being democrats.

When Chloe Eudaly won a city council seat against the incumbent Steve Novick last year by campaigning on rent control, she found out the landlords and property owners might challenge something like that in court so she decided she'd try a more pragmatic piecemeal approach instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh no a court challenge!

Shove through the stopgap and piecemeal and see what sticks, that's how repubs have been running the country into the ground, shotgun approach.