Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Latest Costco Magazine came in, immediately thought why are they using a plane who's right engine is on fire, and about to crash as it's picture.

It's just bad cloud placement and filters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder if there is some "CRAZY TRICK AMERICANS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!" dietary poo poo ISIS tells its followers to use on the US. Like, wrap your bullets in lettuce overnight so they can't go to Infidel Heaven.

Maybe it's a rainbow colored anything. Wedding cake especially. Just having a photo of one, or a rainbow colored American flag?
Gay acceptance is the sort of moral decay ISIS is fighting the Americans for. I don't think there's a lot of place in the propaganda for nuances like that America is far from being at the leading edge on that front.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
The Jolly Rancher tweet was deleted. Anyone got a screenshot or explanation?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Essentially? It was a jolly rancher candy in prison threatening to kill the reader if the reader didn't suck his dick.

edit: #keeponsucking

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
It said, "get to suckin' or get to dyin'" or something to that effect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lovely poker hand posted:

It said, "get busy suckin' or get busy dyin'" or something to that effect.

Because it was a shawshank reference with one word changed and people took it to mean jail rape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Text was: “Delicious blue razz flavor that's criminally bold! #KeepOnSucking”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Len posted:

Because it was a shawshank reference with one word changed and people took it to mean jail rape.

its important to note that they changed the word to "sucking" as in "sucking on a dick, in prison", so idk if its a case of the idiot hoi polloi failing to remember a movie quote from twenty years ago

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Peanut Butler posted:

its important to note that they changed the word to "sucking" as in "sucking on a dick, in prison", so idk if its a case of the idiot hoi polloi failing to remember a movie quote from twenty years ago

Pretty sure any setting where they changed the quote to that would have had people going "RAPE!!!1"

I dunno I'm probably in the minority because I didn't snap immediately to rape

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder if there is some "CRAZY TRICK AMERICANS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!" dietary poo poo ISIS tells its followers to use on the US. Like, wrap your bullets in lettuce overnight so they can't go to Infidel Heaven.

Maybe it's a rainbow colored anything. Wedding cake especially. Just having a photo of one, or a rainbow colored American flag?

IIRC women soldiers has had some kind of tangible effect on the morale of ISIS because they're fine with dying for the cause but they really, really don't want it done by a woman. The idea of some random hick ever needing to use his gun at all, much less to protect the USA from dem terrorists, is ridiculous, though. It's like they think the plot of Die Hard is gonna break out in the middle of their hoedown.

That's wrong, of course, they don't actually believe that, it just makes them feel nice and smug to imagine their penis enhancer is specially designed to take down Muslims.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Len posted:

Pretty sure any setting where they changed the quote to that would have had people going "RAPE!!!1"

"Get busy sucking or get busy dying" is basically the rapiest thing I can think of off of the top of my head

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Len posted:

Might wanna examine that blind spot you have for some reason

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Peanut Butler posted:

Might wanna examine that blind spot you have for some reason

I went to Shawshank Redemption instead of prison rape my bad?

That was also my senior class quote for some reason

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

"Get busy sucking or get busy dying" is basically the rapiest thing I can think of off of the top of my head

The Grapist. Comes with a free grape whistle.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
He grapes the kids! He grapes them in the mouth!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7pwIDhl5c

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Len posted:

I went to Shawshank Redemption instead of prison rape my bad?

That was also my senior class quote for some reason

There was also prison rape in the Shawshank Redemption.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

WickedHate posted:

That's wrong, of course, they don't actually believe that, it just makes them feel nice and smug to imagine their penis enhancer is specially designed to take down Muslims.

They probably don't even get that much out of it. They buy it (or receive it as a gift) for the novelty factor the same way Zombie ammunition and weaponry was a big thing for awhile. It probably goes on the shelf next to the neon green zombie ammo, the silver (plated) werewolf ammo, and the garlic filled hollowpoint vampire ammo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

There was also prison rape in the Shawshank Redemption.

Yeah, and not the good kind like that happens to child molesters. The bad kind because it happened to a protagonist.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I actually forgot it was a shawshank redemption quote. I recognized the quote but thought it was weird the ad was supposed to be a guy breaking out of prison. I didn't even think rape until this thread started bellowing about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Croccers posted:

Do what Australia does and just eat your national animals, duh.

So spiders and snakes?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Agent355 posted:

I actually forgot it was a shawshank redemption quote. I recognized the quote but thought it was weird the ad was supposed to be a guy breaking out of prison. I didn't even think rape until this thread started bellowing about it.

I didn't even see it until the thread started in on it, since I don't use Twitter and don't go out of my way to read corporate Twitter feeds. So I'm going to guess that they knew exactly what the gently caress they were doing with it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I didn't recognize the quote at all and it all I saw a very blatant oral rape joke. I hope they meant to pay homage to the movie cause that would make the whole thing pretty funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's one of the most famous lines from the movie they are definitely referencing it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's one of the most famous lines from the movie they are definitely referencing it.

A 22 year old movie. How many people (kids) will have never seen it? How many people wouldn't remember the line? It was a dumb move, but funny for how dumb it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just because it’s a movie reference doesn’t mean it can’t also have unfortunate implications re prison rape.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Platystemon posted:

Just because it’s a movie reference doesn’t mean it can’t also have unfortunate implications re prison rape.

This is the correct answer

ed: I was going to post something else but this sint' the same thing as the "companies that are cirlcing the draine" thread.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The real question here is, why the hell would Jolly Rancher choose to pay homage to Shawshank Redemption of all things?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Rough Lobster posted:

The real question here is, why the hell would Jolly Rancher choose to pay homage to Shawshank Redemption of all things?

Because nobody wants their terrible candy and they're desperately looking for any kind of relevance? I guarantee that slogan was approved specifically to generate controversy and get people talking about their brand;

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

plainswalker75 posted:

Because nobody wants their terrible candy and they're desperately looking for any kind of relevance? I guarantee that slogan was approved specifically to generate controversy and get people talking about their brand;

Not so, lots of people buy Jolly Ranchers to drop into cheap vodka to make cheap fruity liqueur:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

I didn't even see it until the thread started in on it, since I don't use Twitter and don't go out of my way to read corporate Twitter feeds. So I'm going to guess that they knew exactly what the gently caress they were doing with it.

plainswalker75 posted:

I guarantee that slogan was approved specifically to generate controversy and get people talking about their brand;

gosh guys, this sure is really dumb marketing that we've been talking about and reposting for a page and a half, lol, do they realize how dumb they look right now? hahaha what a mistake, amirite?!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I unironically wanted to buy some jolly ranchers so I guess it worked on me.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

gosh guys, this sure is really dumb marketing that we've been talking about and reposting for a page and a half, lol, do they realize how dumb they look right now? hahaha what a mistake, amirite?!

Truly, real bad marketing will never end up in this thread because discussing it automatically makes it good.

I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic right now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chitin posted:

Truly, real bad marketing will never end up in this thread because discussing it automatically makes it good.

I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic right now.

There's some bad marketing that is unintentional, and there is some bad marketing that is designed explicitly to get a bajillion clicks on a corporate Twitter feed that nobody would ever, EVER look at otherwise. Now, sometimes it can be hard to tell, but in this case - where a giant corporation made a joke about prison rape, complete with a cartoon illustration, to advertise their hard candy, and then left it online for DAYS after it was pointed out how creepy it was - what do you think the intention was?

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 31, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The puppetmaster defense, but for advertising

"Hahaha I made this ad bad intentionally, you idiots, and now you're talking about it! No way I hosed up a joke and accidentally did something offensive or anything!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The puppetmaster defense, but for advertising

"Hahaha I made this ad bad intentionally, you idiots, and now you're talking about it! No way I hosed up a joke and accidentally did something offensive or anything!"

Again, it looks like that tweet was up for three days. There was nothing accidental about it, it's foolish to think otherwise.

"Y'know I really like American Idol, but it's so UNPROFESSIONAL how they have those Pepsi cups out on their desk all the time! Don't they know how silly that looks? Unrelated, I'm kinda thirsty!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only bad ad is one you talk about, but can't remember the company name.

By that logic 'get sucking or get dying' is a great ad. But the iconic commercials where a gorilla beats up suitcases, terrible.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jaguars! posted:

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

General Motors does this on the regular but as a child of the midwest in the 80s and 90s like hell I'm going to buy one of those loving cars are you kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Nationwide's "Boy" Superbowl ad was such a whiplash of bummer that I distinctly remember people tweeting about how they were switching off their service.