Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Decrepus posted:

This is so loving ugly holy poo poo.

No it isn't you uncouth barbarian

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aaaand that's why you don't lanyard your ice tools

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

That's not how you play Ice Climber.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GPF posted:

That just sets up my billion dollar idea:

Imagine saving your family from burning alive...
Imagine making your business fire-proof...
Imagine all this in a simple, organic, free-range, life-affirming, crystal clear liquid...

Introducing Homeopathic Asbestos! The 10x dilution is even more powerful! Buy two, buy thousands!
Please don't trust this scammer, homeopathic asbestos makes you intensely flammable.

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like a lot of trouble when you could just sell people hose water and tell them it has memories of being in contact with vitamins once.
That's just stupid. You need to hit it with a hammer every dilution. Its a good thing too or imagine how widespread vitamin deficiency would be with all that anti-vitamin energy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Automatic Retard posted:

No it isn't you uncouth barbarian

But seriously, it is

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Dienes posted:

There's a few reasons. People who lie about a gluten allergy (or are delusional about having one) make the world more dangerous for those with Celiac's, since people are less likely to take them seriously. It also means the person with the 'undiagnosed gluten intolerance' gets to dictate where a group of people eat and then get sanctimonious about how healthy their food is, criticize what everyone else is eating, and promote other pseudoscience bullshit.

That poo poo is a short term trend, it'll come and go like any other trend, and another stupid one will take it's place for you to get indignant about

Your bitching will not stop it, and will only make you more miserable

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

thoughts and prayers posted:

That poo poo is a short term trend, it'll come and go like any other trend, and another stupid one will take it's place for you to get indignant about

Your bitching will not stop it, and will only make you more miserable

Nah, its actually pretty fun to make fun of the crunchies.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Toasticle posted:

http://liquiglide.com/

https://vimeo.com/130213741

The Japanese video looks like they showcase a turd in a bottle

https://vimeo.com/129015300

There is absolutely no way that can be food safe or cheap enough to actually use in the real world like in those demos. Car windows and bodywork on the other hand.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
What the gently caress is in that and why are people putting it in food

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TTerrible posted:

What the gently caress is in that and why are people putting it in food

It's food-safe according to the FDA.

As to why you'd coat your condiment bottles with it, it would reduce food waste.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HERAK posted:

There is absolutely no way that can be food safe or cheap enough to actually use in the real world like in those demos. Car windows and bodywork on the other hand.

lol at this guy who puts mayo on his car windows

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at this guy who puts mayo on his car windows

No one has stolen my car yet. :colbert:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GPF posted:

That just sets up my billion dollar idea:

Imagine saving your family from burning alive...
Imagine making your business fire-proof...
Imagine all this in a simple, organic, free-range, life-affirming, crystal clear liquid...

Introducing Homeopathic Asbestos! The 10x dilution is even more powerful! Buy two, buy thousands!

homeopathic asbestos would cause fires.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Toasticle posted:

The Japanese video looks like they showcase a turd in a bottle

https://vimeo.com/129015300

Poor Beat Takeshi looks depressed that this is the drivel he's reduced to appearing in.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/g8r1JZE.mp4

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

It always amazes me when huge stuff falls over. It just looks like slow motion.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Dienes posted:

There's a few reasons. People who lie about a gluten allergy (or are delusional about having one) make the world more dangerous for those with Celiac's, since people are less likely to take them seriously. It also means the person with the 'undiagnosed gluten intolerance' gets to dictate where a group of people eat and then get sanctimonious about how healthy their food is, criticize what everyone else is eating, and promote other pseudoscience bullshit.

On the other hand, these people are driving the market for these types of products. If they didn't exist, Superstore (the Walmart of grocery stores, if Walmart didn't also sell groceries) wouldn't even have a "natural foods" section. So I try not to rag on them too much, because my son has a laundry list of severe allergies, and if the only people buying gluten free flour or whatever were people with legit intolerances/allergies, there would be like one specialty store, on the other side of town, and a 1lb bag would cost $15.

Autechresaint posted:

Poor Beat Takeshi looks depressed that this is the drivel he's reduced to appearing in.

He used to be like the biggest name in Japanese television, and now that he's 70 I'm pretty sure he just gets paid a poo poo load of money to appear on whatever. Half the stuff I've seen him in he looks bored out of his mind.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

A dentist near to where we live. How does that even happen? Backwards pipe?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vanagoon posted:

A lot, maybe all, LED light bulbs use blue LEDs coated with a phosphor that gives the appearance of white light.

See Metamerism:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/12/01/blue-leds-confuse-brain.aspx

Still better than CFLs. Compact Fluorescents loving suck.

Philips remote-phosphor LED lamp teardown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ZBfmLGRrk

I am kind of :spergin: about light bulbs.

Hi, light bulb guy. Am I just imagining it, or was there a time not too long ago when there were no white LEDs? I kinda remember having a little LED flashlight that had three LEDs of different colors, and when you wanted a white beam all three would be lit to combine to make white. But that sounds kind of crazy. Did I just dream that?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Sounds like the dentist just wasn't following the correct procedure for cleaning the tools.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cheese-cube posted:

Sounds like the dentist just wasn't following the correct procedure for cleaning the tools.

quote:

The problem occurred due to equipment assembly and is not related to the clinical practice of the dental staff at the clinic

:shrug:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wow my reading comprehension is terrible.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hi, light bulb guy. Am I just imagining it, or was there a time not too long ago when there were no white LEDs? I kinda remember having a little LED flashlight that had three LEDs of different colors, and when you wanted a white beam all three would be lit to combine to make white. But that sounds kind of crazy. Did I just dream that?

White LEDs now are white due to a phosphor layer. It absorbs high energy photons and emits a nice range of colours over a much broader spectrum (basically what flourescent bulbs do). However, conservation of energy means you need higher energy (blue/violet) to energise the phosphor - it can only emit lower light photons than what it absorbed. Typically the incoming photon excites the electrons in the atom by 2 or more energy levels, and as it decays, one of those energy gaps is in visible range. The exact molecule determines what that is, so a good mix produces the best light more efficiently. 'Cree' are often cited as one of the top quality phosphor makers, the cheap ebay chinese LEDs are much less efficient just from the quality of the phosphor layer. The push in 80s/90s semiconductor tech was developing higher energy LEDs. Early 90s had some reasonable blue ones, enough for giant LED TV screens (three colour LEDs) but not enough to excite a phosphor layer. Few more years later, and they cracked it.
For approximate reference, the first blue LED I came across in consumer stuff would be on the PS2 when it was all cool and new.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
It's also interesting because blue LED's got people some nobel prizes

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/press.html

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, you're not crazy, it took them forever to work out the best way to make a white LED

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shush you guys, the crane just went to sleep, be quiet!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/hUDx1l5.gifv

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's either Sweden, Norway or Finland, and it doesn't surprise me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My Summer Car Multiplayer DLC looking good!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Autechresaint posted:

He's also in Yakuza 6, so it's not all bad.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's easy paychecks for a great man. Even if he phones it in he's still good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OzyMandrill posted:

For approximate reference, the first blue LED I came across in consumer stuff would be on the PS2 when it was all cool and new.

Same here. It was such a :aaaaa: kind of thing at the time. Now they're on loving EVERYTHING.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Same here. It was such a :aaaaa: kind of thing at the time. Now they're on loving EVERYTHING.

It's illegal to build a sub-woofer without a blue LED.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Said blue LED is also critical to the system, so taking it out is not an option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Said blue LED is also critical to the system, so taking it out is not an option.

Basically you can just stick a blue LED on some speaker wire and you'll get mad bass. (The doctors all hate me!)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spiteski posted:

Similar http://m.ocregister.com/articles/children-730323-agency-infection.html

They weren't sterilizing the water pipes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bubblyblubber posted:

Doesn't something get hosed when you bundle too many cables parallel like that? Like the little Internet elves get confused about which way to go or start having a little elf orgy or whatever and then you lose your connection?
Or is it just for power cables parallel to data cables?
You can get crosstalk but...

azurite posted:

That's why there are twisted pairs inside the cables.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Except those are coax cables.

AC power should never be tun in parallel with data cables because the power can interfere, especially if it's high voltage AC.