Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gorgar posted:

I turn on sport mode, including PASM, when I start the car and hardly ever turn it off.

Either I am getting old and soft (probably) or you have much better roads where you live. It's really going to come down to that/personal preference, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm in Chicago, so I don't know that the roads are all that great, but the road feel and stiff, agile suspension are rewarding to me in general, even at 25mph or going in a straight line down the interstate. Probably personal preference in my case.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Gorgar posted:

I'm in Chicago, so I don't know that the roads are all that great, but the road feel and stiff, agile suspension are rewarding to me in general, even at 25mph or going in a straight line down the interstate. Probably personal preference in my case.

Your roads are garbage. Any place where you have a chance of breaking a rim in half due to potholes on a residential street is bad. That said you need a car nimble enough to avoid an 8 foot wide 3 foot deep hole in the middle of the interstate so the 911 is perfect. Someone post a picture of the guy jumping in a mud puddle in a parking lot and sinking to his neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcgOWPOXxG4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really need to cram for the last few hours before my final, but firing up the 911 for the first time since October and taking it for a quick rip sounded like a much, much better idea at this moment in time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
24.5: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-996-2/

Interesting opinion, but I don't agree: "Finally, and maybe my most controversial belief is that the 996 will be more coveted by future collector/enthusiasts than the 997. It represents the breakthrough that Porsche had to make to keep the 911 relevant in the 21st century; water cooling its flat six."

Using comps to describe cars and values :rolleyes:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

I thought that was a really well done subtle modern modified 996 until I started reading the complete bastardisation of its drive train and internals. Why on earth would you begin selling a car like that when it needs very simple work done to get rid of some faults? One can only assume it's because it doesn't require simple work...

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willie_dee posted:

I thought that was a really well done subtle modern modified 996 until I started reading the complete bastardisation of its drive train and internals. Why on earth would you begin selling a car like that when it needs very simple work done to get rid of some faults? One can only assume it's because it doesn't require simple work...

A C4 made RWD is pretty much an improvement in every way. I can kind of understand the suspension parts because it's basic work and it is a huge personal preference thing but that's a lot of cash for that car, especially after the buyers fee. The LN retrofit is pretty eeeeeh and if they had a blown engine I would have expected them to put in the Solution kit but the Gbox transmission is nice since they're usually solid.

kimbo305 posted:

24.5: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-996-2/

Interesting opinion, but I don't agree: "Finally, and maybe my most controversial belief is that the 996 will be more coveted by future collector/enthusiasts than the 997. It represents the breakthrough that Porsche had to make to keep the 911 relevant in the 21st century; water cooling its flat six."

Using comps to describe cars and values :rolleyes:

That sentiment always confuses me because it's always the 'lasts' that make cars the most collectable, not the 'firsts'. If anything it'll be the early '99 996s with the cable throttle and dual row IMS at a mild premium then the 997.1 turbos as the last and best Mezger engined 911s. Also 991s are hogs so the smaller 996/997 size is a nice benefit without having to shell out shitloads for the technically inferior 993s.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I agree, very few buyers who have ever sat in a 991 will ever prefer the 996/997 except for reasons of affordability

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Third pedal and 6 gears

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

A C4 made RWD is pretty much an improvement in every way.

Huh.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I agree, very few buyers who have ever sat in a 991 will ever prefer the 996/997 except for reasons of affordability

Huh.

When I was looking to trade in my 997.2 C2S, I tried some 991s, but didn't like the electric steering. It's a bigger feeling car, and I like the interior, but it didn't have the road feel I was used to. Also did not care for that throttle blip or the extra noise piped in from the engine compartment. I did like the weight distribution, but overall it felt disconnected from the road compared to my 997. I wound up with a 997.2 GTS 4. It definitely feels different from the RWD car, but I don't find it enough less fun to lose out on AWD on a car I drive in winter. Not getting stuck is also fun, and there's something cool about the way the front end wants to lead the car around the corner. It feels very poised, in a way no 2WD vehicle would, I think.

If I move on to a 991.2, I'm sure I will enjoy the hell out of it. It's still a 911. But I definitely didn't feel like the 991.1 was entirely an improvement, even though the performance was better.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Get a 981 Cayman and put a 911 engine in it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Get a 981 Cayman and put a 911 engine in it

I think Porsche already does that for you.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

I think Porsche already does that for you.

The GT4? I think they are still trading hands in the USA for silly overs, although they have stagnated here in the UK.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I can't imagine that you can do it for that much cheaper on your own, though, unless you're a sharp Porsche mechanic.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Gorgar posted:

Huh.

Huh.

When I was looking to trade in my 997.2 C2S, I tried some 991s, but didn't like the electric steering. It's a bigger feeling car, and I like the interior, but it didn't have the road feel I was used to. Also did not care for that throttle blip or the extra noise piped in from the engine compartment. I did like the weight distribution, but overall it felt disconnected from the road compared to my 997. I wound up with a 997.2 GTS 4. It definitely feels different from the RWD car, but I don't find it enough less fun to lose out on AWD on a car I drive in winter. Not getting stuck is also fun, and there's something cool about the way the front end wants to lead the car around the corner. It feels very poised, in a way no 2WD vehicle would, I think.

If I move on to a 991.2, I'm sure I will enjoy the hell out of it. It's still a 911. But I definitely didn't feel like the 991.1 was entirely an improvement, even though the performance was better.

The 996 AWD is a viscous clutch setup that's maybe borderline useful in a TT for traction but is still dumb and slow. 997s have a electronic setup that's active and much better (and can be retrofit into 996s with work).

I can't get over how big 991s look in person compared to 996/997. They seem far bigger than the spec sheet, the only thing that sticks out is a lot of the curves are filled in to give more interior room and it starts to almost look like an Aston Martin from the rear. This kind of hints at it but it's hard to describe. I'd still love a 991 as a DD though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The only reason I could see a 996 more "coveted" than a 997 (and that's generous) is like how Jymmybob stated. Early models (98-99 builds) with mechanical throttle and absolute minimum of electronic controls other than some sort of ABS like any other 80s-90s supercar. If you're going to get an optioned out 996 C4 vs a 997 C4, other than price, I see no advantage to the 6 over the 7. C2? There could be an argument either way.

I don't think I've ever sat in a 991 but I have no doubt it's more comfortable and roomy. Would be sort of a mindfuck if it wasn't considering the 996 style is now 20 years old. That said, there is something about a no frills early 996. Not fancy, not glorious, but still relatively tight, clean, basic and rattle free. In a way, thats kind of is appealing.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 31, 2017

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

willie_dee posted:

The GT4? I think they are still trading hands in the USA for silly overs, although they have stagnated here in the UK.

IIRC the 3.4 liter engine in the S trim is a 911 engine, while GT4 has the 911 S engine.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

IIRC the 3.4 liter engine in the S trim is a 911 engine, while GT4 has the 911 S engine.

The 3.4L engine in the 991.1 was originally the Cayman/Boxster S engine tweaked and upgraded to 350 hp. So what you say is true but it was in the Cayman S first. The GT4 has a 3.8L 991.1S engine which is weirdly detuned to 385 hp (in addition to tons of other 991.1 GT3 parts out of the bin).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the first gen Boxster sharing doors with the 996 was a stroke of genius.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

slidebite posted:

The only reason I could see a 996 more "coveted" than a 997 (and that's generous) is like how Jymmybob stated. Early models (98-99 builds) with mechanical throttle and absolute minimum of electronic controls other than some sort of ABS like any other 80s-90s supercar. If you're going to get an optioned out 996 C4 vs a 997 C4, other than price, I see no advantage to the 6 over the 7. C2? There could be an argument either way.

I don't think I've ever sat in a 991 but I have no doubt it's more comfortable and roomy. Would be sort of a mindfuck if it wasn't considering the 996 style is now 20 years old. That said, there is something about a no frills early 996. Not fancy, not glorious, but still relatively tight, clean, basic and rattle free. In a way, thats kind of is appealing.

Without trying to get too much into the whole subjective argument of which car designs will "age" over the next decade or two better, the trouble with the 996 is strictly where it is in the lineage. The first 911 I ever drove was a base model early 996 and it was the coolest/funnest thing I've ever been in. On it's own it really is a masterpiece of an automobile. But looking back at the 993, and looking forward at the 997, minutiae about the actual driving experience aside, it's just not going to be a high water mark or go up in value all that much (Turbo, GT cars excluded). People are way too nostalgic for the 993 which by all metrics should be an inferior car, and the 997 softened the design and really just out 996'd the 996.

The greatness of the 996 generation is really the other cars that came out of it. Cayennes can be unreliable pieces of poo poo but the ones that work, especially Turbos, can fuckin WORK. The Boxsters/Caymans are loving awesome little sports cars that people are beating up on and racing and often beating 911s. Getting one of those used is way better than getting a dogshit 924 or 944 back in the day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And on the other end of the 911 market: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-st-recreation/
Lots of discussion in the comments on how prices for a replica "ought" to be priced, whether the fastidious adherence to period racing build is good in general and good wrt getting FIA historic racing approval.
I think the most succinct comment is "the market has spoken."

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

MortLansky posted:

and the 997 softened the design and really just out 996'd the 996.

Why do you think this out of curiosity? I see the 997 as a sharper, more comfortable and more modern 996, improving on it in every way especially interior wise.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

willie_dee posted:

Why do you think this out of curiosity? I see the 997 as a sharper, more comfortable and more modern 996, improving on it in every way especially interior wise.

Maybe I misspoke. What I meant is basically what you said, or that from a design point of view the 997 should've been the 996, in that the headlights are more true to form and not a controversial point. Again, for that reason 996's will (probably) be always valued below 997s as they age into collector's cars.

kimbo305 posted:

And on the other end of the 911 market: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-st-recreation/
Lots of discussion in the comments on how prices for a replica "ought" to be priced, whether the fastidious adherence to period racing build is good in general and good wrt getting FIA historic racing approval.
I think the most succinct comment is "the market has spoken."

Yeah to some people it's pretty mind boggling that these sort of restomod early 911s are eclipsing new 911 Turbo money. It seems like there's such a feeding frenzy for early long hood cars that people are buying old beat up race cars and converting them back to street. And from what I've seen, taking a medium-high mileage car and doing the whole RS/ST/RSR look can pay off investment wise. You gut one of those things, put in some nice vintage Recaros, flared fenders and a trick motor, that's 200k all day long.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MortLansky posted:

And from what I've seen, taking a medium-high mileage car and doing the whole RS/ST/RSR look can pay off investment wise. You gut one of those things, put in some nice vintage Recaros, flared fenders and a trick motor, that's 200k all day long.

I think trying to make a profit off of it might be hard, but you wouldn't lose as much as you could in similar projects.
This car was real enough that several of the rich Porsche fans out there had no problem approaching 200k on it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Behold, the worst 911 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche-911-/182441599415

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Those are some ugly rear end rims.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It is like a 996 dressed up badly for Halloween as a turbo 997.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Well any cabriolet falls into the "worst" category to be fair.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that an air inlet on the side of the... rear spoiler??

The 911 has a plethora of body kits available, many of them slightly tackier than kits you'll find available for a Cavalier.

Also, admittedly as someone who really doesn't hate the headlights of the 996, the "fixes" always seem to make them look exponentially worse.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

slidebite posted:

Is that an air inlet on the side of the... rear spoiler??

The 911 has a plethora of body kits available, many of them slightly tackier than kits you'll find available for a Cavalier.

It's sort of a throwback to the 993 GT2 racecars in the 90s (see below). A lot of racery 911s have them because it's the biggest fattest wing ever fitted to a factory car. It's still awful on this thing.

Although to be fair, at least the bodykit seems to fit correctly. Bad bodykitted 911s are so common on the cesspool of craigslist, it's almost refreshing seeing one that's not a lovely slantnose conversion on a '77 2.7 or whatever.

In other news, went to the new Porsche Experience Center in LA a few days ago. Did the GT3 experience, which, while expensive, was still loving awesome. I was surprised how much they let you beat on the thing. I whipped that thing around their small but very technical road course and put a couple wheels off more than once and the instructor barely chastised me. Testing launch control a few times, pitching it sideways on a smooth low-friction handling course, and hearing that thing scream at 9000 rpm made it worth the price of admission. Also, I got a 917 t-shirt. Good times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The hole on the kit wing reminds me of...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was talking to JymmyBob on PMs about this car, and for better or worse, it fell through.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Porsche-911-/282324054241?nma=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Seller was kinda shady, like not being up front about the rebuilt title. He was down to 30k.
Friend checked it out it person, had a PPI done on it, and the inspector said the damage was all forward of the shock towers, and the conversion looked decent (though paint was not perfect).

At 30k, with a tune, it was pretty tempting. I like the bold color. But it sold and mercifully took itself out of my search process.

Now I'm just playing risky clicks with various low-priced Boxsters. No decently priced manual Spyders right now.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I was talking to JymmyBob on PMs about this car, and for better or worse, it fell through.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Porsche-911-/282324054241?nma=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Seller was kinda shady, like not being up front about the rebuilt title. He was down to 30k.
Friend checked it out it person, had a PPI done on it, and the inspector said the damage was all forward of the shock towers, and the conversion looked decent (though paint was not perfect).

At 30k, with a tune, it was pretty tempting. I like the bold color. But it sold and mercifully took itself out of my search process.

Now I'm just playing risky clicks with various low-priced Boxsters. No decently priced manual Spyders right now.

It probably would have been a fun car but being so dependent on the quality of work being done beforehand makes things tricky.

There's a few reasonable cars out there but it's really hard to find the 30k high milers anymore.

Have a risky click http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/399131-porsche-911-turbo-2001-canadian-car.html

It's a good car, the price is now a pretty good deal, and the blue is a nice bonus.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are Canadian cars already federalized?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Are Canadian cars already federalized?

I'm pretty sure you just need a letter from Porsche NA stating that the car meets US requirements and that's about it. The speedo being in kph seems hit or miss depending on if the digital speedo is considered the primary one (which it should be since it's much better) because it can easily be changed in the menus. I can't imagine why you couldn't just put a new mph face on the dial and the absolute worst case is a sub 1000 job for a used US cluster then selling the Canadian one to recoup most of the costs.

I looked into that particular car quite a bit when we first talked about in here a few months ago but with prices now it's a lot more attractive than even then.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

I'm pretty sure you just need a letter from Porsche NA stating that the car meets US requirements and that's about it.

You just email them asking for one? I wonder if it even presents a problem to most states' VIN lookups.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

You just email them asking for one? I wonder if it even presents a problem to most states' VIN lookups.

I'm pretty sure you just email them asking for a letter including the VIN that says the car meets US DOT requirements and they mail you something back on their letterhead. They're the same cars except the speedo and DRLs on Canadian spec cars which makes it easier to come to the US than retrofitting DRLs going into to Canada.

edit http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/890371-importing-canadian-car-to-the-us.html#post12541678

:getin:

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 5, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091828452
I don't think it's necessarily a bad price at $7800.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That looks good and same price as a miata.

Sell the engine and headlights and make $1,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091828452
I don't think it's necessarily a bad price at $7800.

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?