Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I was hoping for him to turn up in the 8th Doctor Time War set :sigh:

He still might. Some BF stuff is recorded a year+ in advance. If he was gonna cameo in the Time War box, they might have recorded it during his studio time for box 3 or 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

I do wonder if BF is going to delay or otherwise alter release plans. It may come off as a bit morbid to go "hey, here's a brand new release from a guy who just died" (especially since Invisible Man was slated for somewhere in the next 4 days)

Looks like they've delayed The Invisible Man a bit, it says "Out in February" now

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

I was hoping for him to turn up in the 8th Doctor Time War set :sigh:

Let's give this a revisit. I love the younger Hurt footage interspersed in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LutkLN0P0PM

With a Leonard Cohen song?! God loving dammit, why are you doing this to me

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Peter Capaldi just said on the radio that Series 10 would be his last.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For fucks sake. It had better be a good one, Moffat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cargohills posted:

And his last episode is the Christmas special.

Joy, another festive holiday regeneration.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Last Capaldi story will be on 25 December 2017. Oh and Series 10 is starting on 15 April.

e: Yeah, I'm hoping they do the same as they did with Return of Doctor Mysterio and just make the special non-Christmas themed. We've already had three Christmas regenerations in a row and it's getting annoying now. (Although I guess The End of Time was light on the Christmas themes.)

cargohills fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh man, I feel like he barely had enough time to shine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I might tune out after Capaldi leaves, unless our next Doctor is someone really special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I might tune out after Capaldi leaves, unless our next Doctor is someone really special.

I can't even fathom who I'd be okay with. With our luck they'll cast Rupert Grint.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My concern is that they'll finally cast someone who isn't a white dude but Chibnail's production/writing will leave people cold and it'll be blamed on the casting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

I can't even fathom who I'd be okay with. With our luck they'll cast Rupert Grint.

Conor McGregor is in talks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

My concern is that they'll finally cast someone who isn't a white dude but Chibnail's production/writing will leave people cold and it'll be blamed on the casting.

I wonder if Patterson Joseph still wants a shot at the gig.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

No, no, this time they'll finally cast a woman!

Because Chibnail has a great track record of making the female version of existing characters!

no I will never let the Cyberwoman thing die why in the gently caress did anyone think that was a good idea

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

Bit of a bummer but now we can start the countdown to himjoining Big Finish :getin:

Burkion posted:

why in the gently caress did anyone think that was a good idea

Well we are talking about the show where an unapologetic date rapist was meant to be a sympathetic main character.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 30, 2017

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Timby posted:

And his last episode is the Christmas special.

Joy, another festive holiday regeneration.

I think it's kind of crazy that everyone but Chris Eccleston has regenerated during a Christmas special since 2005. I know they want to make a big deal out of anybody's last episode, but it would feel so novel and almost be more interesting at this point if the regeneration came in a regular episode and where the stakes weren't the entire universe. Basically, Caves of Androzani.

So when does the speculation on the new Doctor begin?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Three seasons? Well, that is following the Troughton Rule.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

cargohills posted:

So does that mean his role in the 50th anniversary will happen this season? (or did it already and I forgot)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Gordon Shumway posted:

I think it's kind of crazy that everyone but Chris Eccleston has regenerated during a Christmas special since 2005. I know they want to make a big deal out of anybody's last episode, but it would feel so novel and almost be more interesting at this point if the regeneration came in a regular episode and where the stakes weren't the entire universe. Basically, Caves of Androzani.

I think they could do a mid-season finale/regeneration but remember the story immediately following Caves of Androzani.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah it's a consequence of christmas specials being part of the regular filming block I guess

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cargohills posted:

Awww jeez man.

I was hoping he'd stick around a long time, or at the very least for Chibnal's first season to allow a smoother transition :smith:

They've managed to do great in the casting so far so hopefully the new Doctor will be a good choice, but it felt like Capaldi was only really getting started.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gonna put my money on Domhnall Gleeson

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Burkion posted:

No, no, this time they'll finally cast a woman!

For the love of God, people, Joanna Lumley.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harlock posted:

Gonna put my money on Domhnall Gleeson

He'd be great but isn't his movie career doing pretty well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

For the love of God, people, Joanna Lumley.

She already was!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gordon Shumway posted:

10 regenerated at New Years, not during the Christmas episode.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Awww jeez man.

I was hoping he'd stick around a long time, or at the very least for Chibnal's first season to allow a smoother transition :smith:

They've managed to do great in the casting so far so hopefully the new Doctor will be a good choice, but it felt like Capaldi was only really getting started.

It's sad, but not surprising that Capaldi would want out. Let's hope the show keeps being good watchable.

I'm glad, though, that not a single person in this thread spells Chipnail's name correctly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sad news :(

I really hope he gets a chance to shine this season (although with two companions that's going to be a bit harder to do). He's such an amazing actor, but I can count his good stories on one hand still.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought we already knew (or at least had reasonable grounds for believing) Capaldi was leaving at the same time Moffat was.

Anyway, Ruth Wilson for Thirteenth Doctor.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
It doesn't really matter who they cast if they never make any episodes.

What a waste of time when Capaldi could've been starring in good seasons. This isn't how you continue to make a show part of social consciousness.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I really wanted them to make Capaldi super cranky as a doctor. Dismissive and no time for anyone's poo poo. He's so good at it, it seems like a waste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, Ruth Wilson for Thirteenth Doctor.

God drat yes please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

God drat yes please.

I don't have anywhere near the problem with Moffat that others do, but based on her character in Luther alone all I can say is that if they did cast her I'd be incredibly relieved he wasn't running the show anymore!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I don't have anywhere near the problem with Moffat that others do, but based on her character in Luther alone all I can say is that if they did cast her I'd be incredibly relieved he wasn't running the show anymore!

I loving adore her so I don't care who's in charge of the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

God drat yes please.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
How about that Paul McGann fellow? He would make an excellent 13th Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How about the one guy who is always on those quiz shows that people really seem to like?

Jimmy Carr?

Richard Ayoade

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On second thought no. Because Cherpnuts would probably insist on having the Lady Doc and Missy make out for no good god drat reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Am i the only one hoping for Tilda Swinton to be cast as the next doctor?

• Locked thread